Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

krushgroove posted:

Entirely coincidentally, I've been talking with one of our other players about starting a podcast after getting the suggestion from Jason on the Overlords (the American guy). I've just secured the domain name and Facebook group name today but it'll be a few weeks before we'll have anything ready to upload for general consumption. Our USP will be a big 'tactica' segment in every show, going through the latest codexes, formations and dataslates, how to use the various units and how to counter them, but we'll talk about news and hobby stuff too. It'll be mostly wargaming but also some RPGs and boardgames too, since we play those every week as well.

As an idea - a good segment could be "Your favourite Unit/Unit Combo" from X codex. I always enjoyed reading about interesting weapon loadouts etc and then why people took them, and it would be a quick and easy thing to do.

Examples:

AM Platoon Command Squad, 4 Flamers, Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer + Turret Heavy Flamer. Nasty unit which can disembark next to the Chimera and lay down punishment, as well as issue orders from inside. Also cheap!

Pask in a Punisher w/ Camo Netting + Other LR Variant - Use the other Leman Russ to shield Pask - he can still shoot through them using the Squadron rules, and gets a 3+ cover save if hull down using the Netting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks, that's a great idea! I think the dynamic will work because I'm very much a fluff (e.g., crap) player that wants to play 'better', and my co-host is a min-maxer at heart but loves narrative stuff. So we should play well off each other, we will be doing a test recording in a couple of weeks to see how we bounce off each other on the microphone. We've known each other for over 10 years so it should be fine but he's never been on the mic before, so it's kind of a break-in session.

I wish Ghost Hand's show was still going (well, it is until April anyway) but really it's served as a huge inspiration for my co-host so in spirit the ICs will be going on and on, in loads of different podcasts I'm sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
With Harlequins finally getting a jetbike release supposedly, I really hope they bring back the Maximum Overdrive jetbike face.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Okay I don't have my rulebook with me and it's going to drive me crazy unless I KNOW NOW: teleport homers work with battle bros, right? Like, I can plop in Belial and his non-scatter shitfuckers and then start dropping in run & gun GK termies next turn with his homer?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Teleport homer's language states "friendly units composed entirely of models in Terminator armour" and Battle Brothers count each other as friendly units, so yes.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Oh good, thanks. I wondered if there was some silly exception in the allies section or something.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, I'm trying to puzzle out what exactly Tac Squads can and can't take, but these equipment listings are really poorly formatted. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what codex?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Standard one, Salamander based in case that makes a difference.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They can take one special (flamer, meltagun, plasma gun, or grav-gun) or heavy weapon (heavy bolter, multi-melta, missile launcher, plasma cannon, or lascannon) and can take another one if they're a full ten-man squad but they can't both be from the same list.

The sergeant can take anything from the Melee (power weapon, lightning claw, power fist, thunder hammer) or Ranged (storm bolter, combi-weapon, grav-pistol, plasma pistol) lists, as well as a teleport homer or a melta bomb. He can also replace one of his basic weapons with a chainsword. Since he's a Salamander, he then upgrades one of his weapons to Master-Crafted.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 20, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
1 in a 5-man can take from one of List A or B, or 2 in 10 can take 1 from List A and 1 from List B:
List A: flamer, meltagun, plasma gun, grav gun
List B: heavy bolter, lascannon, multimelta, plasma cannon (?)

I think that's right.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. Looks like the ones I built will work, then. On a related note, why do they include a scanner when the marines can't use it? Just trying to make the bit easier to get?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
The IC podcast closing down sure is a bummer, but I'm glad Carl and company are able to shut it down on their own terms. It's going to make painting a lot tougher for me as I really only make progress when a new episode comes out.

Ghost Hand, thanks for all of the great hours of entertainment and hobby inspiration. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the episodes!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's decorative.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drgnvale posted:

The IC podcast closing down sure is a bummer, but I'm glad Carl and company are able to shut it down on their own terms. It's going to make painting a lot tougher for me as I really only make progress when a new episode comes out.

Ghost Hand, thanks for all of the great hours of entertainment and hobby inspiration. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the episodes!

RIP IC podcast. They are spending Carl bucks on space juice in heaven.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
This is it. This is my last goddamn Flying Hive Tyrant. I now have four, painted, and ready for use at the tourney. LordAba gifted me with a couple sets of the Fleshborer Hive arms, which means if I managed to get through my painting workload I will tear off my old bad arms from the originals and upgrade them to be in-line with the rest.

Only one Harpy, one Mucolid Spore Mine, and six Gargoyles to go!

Edit: To keep people up-to-date with my insane Hive Tyrant count, this brings me to a total of ten Hive Tyrants. :suicide:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

RIP IC podcast. They are spending Carl bucks on space juice in heaven.

Hah!

Well I'm NOT quitting 40k/30k that's for sure. Just the Podcast. Still going to be active on forums and posting videos on the You Tube channel from time to time. The show has just grown beyond anything I expected and to maintain the quality of the Podcast is becoming difficult as my real job is increasing demands on my time and I want to PLAY more than Podcast at the moment.

Who knows... I love the show and its hard to let go of. I don't want to get peoples hopes up, so I'll just leave it at that for the time being. Either way it has been an incredible experience that has afforded me opportunities to make some great friends both in and outside of the industry.

I think going out while the show is going strong is much better than watching it peter off and die and leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. The last thing I want to hear is someone say "Yeah they USED to be good... but it's gone to poo poo."

drgnvale posted:

Thank YOU for listening man!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 20, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

Thanks. Looks like the ones I built will work, then. On a related note, why do they include a scanner when the marines can't use it? Just trying to make the bit easier to get?

A: It looks cool
B: It used to be a bit of wargear sergeants could take (Auspex)

Re the IC Podcast closing down, tis a shame as I'd only just started listening recently, but at least there's a hundred odd in the archives for me to peruse while painting. However, I totally understand your reasons for doing so. Best wishes to Ghost Hand and the crew in whatever you guys get up to next!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Same here - and this just after I got all the rest of my gaming group listening to the ICs! I suggested that the ICs do Christmas shows or something like that, periodically, just like the good British TV shows do, but who knows.

Entirely coincidentally, I've been talking with one of our other players about starting a podcast after getting the suggestion from Jason on the Overlords (the American guy). I've just secured the domain name and Facebook group name today but it'll be a few weeks before we'll have anything ready to upload for general consumption. Our USP will be a big 'tactica' segment in every show, going through the latest codexes, formations and dataslates, how to use the various units and how to counter them, but we'll talk about news and hobby stuff too. It'll be mostly wargaming but also some RPGs and boardgames too, since we play those every week as well.

I like the idea of the annual. We shall see!

If I could make one recommendation it would be to steer away from "news" segments in a Podcast unless you plan to publish weekly or less. Things move to fast and either way you end up dating your episodes very quickly with them. Seriously who wants to go back and listen to an episode where you talk in depth for 40 minutes about what GW or another company just released.... last year. It rarely is relevant after a week or two.

Stay away from that and focus on longer lasting topics and I think you will be good to go!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PierreTheMime posted:

This is it. This is my last goddamn Flying Hive Tyrant. I now have four, painted, and ready for use at the tourney. LordAba gifted me with a couple sets of the Fleshborer Hive arms, which means if I managed to get through my painting workload I will tear off my old bad arms from the originals and upgrade them to be in-line with the rest.

Only one Harpy, one Mucolid Spore Mine, and six Gargoyles to go!

Edit: To keep people up-to-date with my insane Hive Tyrant count, this brings me to a total of ten Hive Tyrants. :suicide:

Let us know how the tournament goes , assuming your playing Skyblight or whatever it's called and the new FOC.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Finally assembling these Veletaris. I usually hate having to fuddle around trying to assemble smaller than Space Marine troops, but these assemble pretty nicely once you figure it out.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Let us know how the tournament goes , assuming your playing Skyblight or whatever it's called and the new FOC.

Most definitely. Leviathan FOC and Skyblight for some ObSec and potential Reserve shenanigans. If there was no limit I could field more HTs but they cap it at one Primary and either one Ally or one Formation.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm super sad to see the ICs podcast go, but real life (and actual gaming) takes precedence. I'm glad there's still a few months of the show to go, but it's gonna be a big void in the community to fill.

Part of me is actually kinda relieved since I'd need another army worth of things if there was a 2015 HPC :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

I like the idea of the annual. We shall see!

If I could make one recommendation it would be to steer away from "news" segments in a Podcast unless you plan to publish weekly or less. Things move to fast and either way you end up dating your episodes very quickly with them. Seriously who wants to go back and listen to an episode where you talk in depth for 40 minutes about what GW or another company just released.... last year. It rarely is relevant after a week or two.

Stay away from that and focus on longer lasting topics and I think you will be good to go!

Thanks Carl, great advice! I think we are going to maybe just talk about news (not rumors) rather than try to 'report' anything. Hopefully you'll be able to make it back over to the UK sometime.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Independent Characters: Gentleman Ham's Annual/Biannual/Quarterly

One of those should be a thing imo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ghost Hand just read all the rumors about WFB and finally said 'gently caress it'. You read it here first!

Lord Twisted posted:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3610

Independent Characters finishing in April! Why would you do this to us Carl?!

drgnvale posted:

I loved your podcast, Ghost Hand. It's one of the few quality 40k podcast out there. We definitely didn't agree on everything, but it was still a pleasure to listen to. You could tell the hours of prep and post you put into the thing. Thanks for doing it this long dude.

Fuuuuuuck. I'm just bummed I didn't hop on the wagon earlier. I could have had more Carl in my life :(

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

I'm super sad to see the ICs podcast go, but real life (and actual gaming) takes precedence. I'm glad there's still a few months of the show to go, but it's gonna be a big void in the community to fill.

Part of me is actually kinda relieved since I'd need another army worth of things if there was a 2015 HPC :v:

You knocked it outta the park in this last one.

krushgroove posted:

Thanks Carl, great advice! I think we are going to maybe just talk about news (not rumors) rather than try to 'report' anything. Hopefully you'll be able to make it back over to the UK sometime.

2016 - Return to Warhammer World and London.

BULBASAUR posted:

Ghost Hand just read all the rumors about WFB and finally said 'gently caress it'. You read it here first!

I loved your podcast, Ghost Hand. It's one of the few quality 40k podcast out there. We definitely didn't agree on everything, but it was still a pleasure to listen to. You could tell the hours of prep and post you put into the thing. Thanks for doing it this long dude.

Fuuuuuuck. I'm just bummed I didn't hop on the wagon earlier. I could have had more Carl in my life :(

If we agreed on everything it would be boring as poo poo. Geoff yells at his stereo when he listens to the show now.... cracks me up everytime I release an episode and he starts writing me all his opinions in chat. I always tell him "You know you COULD have just shared these on the show...".

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 20, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PierreTheMime posted:

Most definitely. Leviathan FOC and Skyblight for some ObSec and potential Reserve shenanigans. If there was no limit I could field more HTs but they cap it at one Primary and either one Ally or one Formation.

Ah yeah it's the Leviathan and the Skyblight for whatever reason I though that gave you 5 Tyrants. To bad they don't let you take double cad. Considering you can get 4 that's still brutal, I'm assuming their the EGRUB, Brainleech variety. Mucolids spores really allow the tyrands to heavily front load MCs with a paltry I think 30 point troop tax.

What's your Leviathan cad look I think I played against something like

Flyrant - Egrubs , 2x Brainleech Devourers
Flyrant - Egrubs , 2 x Brainleech Devourers
Flyrant - Egrubs , 2 x Brainleech Devourers

Lictors

Rippers
Mucolids

Mawloc

And some other poo poo I don't remember. It wasn't pleasant, played it with my Necrons, got stomped as I've not got enough Nightscythes or something to deal with those Tyrants.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 20, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Ah yeah it's the Leviathan and the Skyblight for whatever reason I though that gave you 5 Tyrants. To bad they don't let you take double cad. Considering you can get 4 that's still brutal, I'm assuming their the EGRUB, Brainleech variety. Mucolids spores really allow the tyrands to heavily front load MCs with a paltry I think 30 point troop tax.

What's your Leviathan cad look

4x Hive Tyrant w/ 2x Twin-linked Devourer, Electroshock Grubs, Wings
3x Mucolid Spore Mines
2x 1x Zoanthrope
1x Venomthrope
2x Biovore
2x Harpy w/ Twin-linked Heavy Venom Cannon
1x Harpy
3x 10x Gargoyle

7 FMCs, 12 ML dice, 1845pts

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Makes me wonder when the ork allies will be coming out. The Traktor Kannons are cheap and some of the best anti-air in the game. For 70 points (plus whatever you bring on the Big Mek) you can grab big guns and a mess of twin-linked buggies to any army.

EDIT: A unit of 4 guns can take out a FMC a turn fairly easily with a couple of ammo runts. Plus they are T7 in retaliation!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 21, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

I'm guessing no Forge World allowed? Otherwise the Heirodule and Malanthrope are pretty good inclusions over the Skyblight. There were a TON of Tyranid lists at the tourney I went to the other week (ten out of sixty players, I believe) and several of them did quite well. Tyranids are legit these days.

LordAba posted:

Makes me wonder when the ork allies will be coming out. The Traktor Kannons are cheap and some of the best anti-air in the game. For 70 points (plus whatever you bring on the Big Mek) you can grab big guns and a mess of twin-linked buggies to any army.

EDIT: A unit of 4 guns can take out a FMC a turn fairly easily with a couple of ammo runts. Plus they are T7 in retaliation!

Unfortunately Orks don't bring a whole lot else to most armies, so they're a weak candidate for ally in most of the time. They do have some of the best AA in the game, though, arguably even better than Tau.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Isn't that Skyboss Wingnutz configuration pretty good or no? The one that's like 6 or more fliers that all come back on with their full compliment of one use items.

Here it is:

Requirements: 5 Dakkajets, 1 Burna Bommer, 1 Blitza Bommer

Restrictions: One Dakkajet must take a Flyboss.

Special Rules:

Airborne Horde: Whenever a Flyer from this Formation leaves combat airspace, it returns to play with its full complement of Hull Points, and with its starting quota of One Use Only weapons.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I think I need an intervention. I decided I wanted to make a Tau army with Tempestus allies acting as Human Auxiliaries. I haven't painted or assembled half the Orks I have. I've played 2 games of 40k ever. Help.

Three boxes of tau may or may not be in the mail

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh! Sure, that works too! You don't have the little manhole cover bit, do you? I can't seem to find mine.

Sorry it took me a bit to get back, but here's what I found for you. I did raid my cannons for bits pretty good and it's missing a big shoota, and I think one of the side panels but has the ork with viewfinder and a few other odds n' ends. Is the manhole bit that one?

Can always use bits to get my ork nobz project slowly in motion again if you've got any biker-esque stuff. Drop me a line at the_modern_knight at hotmail.com

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

AbusePuppy posted:

Tyranids are legit these days.

It's really true. Leviathan was really a massive boost.

Flying hive tyrants with dual devourers and electroshock grubs are far and away the best unit in the codex, and a lot of tournaments have ways to let you take four of them. By the core rules, you can legally take seven of them at 1,850 by running three detachments.

This of course being possible thanks to mucolid spores. Tyrannocites also open up a lot of units from being bad to being pretty decent.

What I've liked the most with tyranids these days is I can make lists that can cater to the skill level of my opponent, no matter their level. I can bring a fun, competitive list that's not too hard, but still a challenge for experienced players, I can bring a list that's super hard and cheesy for those high level tournament lists, or I can bring a varied, but suboptimal list for those times I'm playing new players or guys who just want a beerhammer game. I'm currently having more fun with Tyranids than I've ever had.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What format or what's the standard format people play here? Most of the games I play are 1500 and 2000 points with everything allowed, meaning any number of formations etc..

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
3000 points single CAD no allies gently caress your dumb gimmick bullshit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

3000 points single CAD no allies gently caress your dumb gimmick bullshit.

Oh so you play with the combimelta rule?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
1000-3000 points, no Unbound, no allies. Multiple detachments from the same army are allowed.

My group largely does narrative campaigns so there are sometimes asymmetrical engagements. I think the most lopsided game we recently had was something 750 vs. 3150. My next game is 1500 vs. 1850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We do random armies in the first battles of our campaign with lowest points army that gets picked getting to pick Maelstrom mission cards and the mission. It actually works out pretty well.

• Locked thread