Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hughmoris posted:

Foggy drags down any scene he is in. I can't tell if it's bad acting or bad writing.

He's never been a very good actor, so I'd blame that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is seriously making me consider dropping my netflix sub. What's even the point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was (ep9) the woman breaking the ground anyone in particular or did FBI guy just not want to see her get shoveled in the face at range?

e: Nvm, showed back up.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 20, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Foggy drags down any scene he is in. I can't tell if it's bad acting or bad writing.

:same:

I just finished ep 4, but so far his plot has been completely pointless. At least Karen is investigating Fisk.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Foggy was the main villain of Daredevil season 2.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Three episodes in and Bullseye needs to be in Punisher yesterday

Also the parking sequence seems to be a love letter to Hitman

Lid fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 20, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Now...okay, I'm three episodes in, and overall I'm enjoying the stuff going on, but holy poo poo episode 3 was rough. And I don't mean the cool kind of rough, I mean that it was lovely and bad. I felt like I was watching a cartoon version of this show

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Episode 3 seems way too influenced by Guardian Devil of all things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The whole imaginary Fisk thing was just way too cartoonish for this show. And then we get to the hackneyed "Don't become the monster by fighting the monster!" schtick for the umpteenth time. And then that Foggy conversation at the end was just terrible, it felt like the worst parts of a CW show. Everyone seems to like episode 4 so I'm really hoping it picks up again now, but drat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They do that in every loving show now, it's like the go-to trope.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 10 College Karen is a lot of fun.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Finished the season
It's weird but towards the endgame there were at least a couple of really noticeable deja-vu dialogue moments wrt to S1. I'm guessing it was because of pretty much the same moral dilemma -- should Matt kill the Kingpin, and let's try the legal route first (but tragically fail)

Still I'm very happy with the season overall and if Netflix is dropping the Marvel stuff left and right, at least this one got a really good closure to all its dangling story threads (as far as I remembered them) and had a strong finish

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rocksicles posted:

Episode 10 College Karen is a lot of fun.

Just finished watching that one:
I wanted someone to grab a pillow and snuff her out so badly for the first half of the episode.

Three episodes left. Enjoying this a lot more as the final stages of the story clump up for whatever the finale is going to be. Mostly I like how the action is rear end beating, minimal gunfire, and throwing CGI objects really quickly so they don't stand out too much.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was (ep9) the woman breaking the ground anyone in particular or did FBI guy just not want to see her get shoveled in the face at range?

e: Nvm, showed back up.

She's the head of the Maggia (MCU mafia) - the character showed up in Luke Cage s2

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
6 episodes in and really loving this. Couple of random questions though

- How did Poindexter pass an FBI background check and screening process to land that job having that psyche history?

- Where the gently caress did Fisk get the secret underground base set up from?

- Wouldn't Fisk know that creating a perfect DD suit for Bullseye to wear would lead Matt to Melvin Potter or was that trap the whole plan? Speaking of that, where is Matt's suit? I assume destroyed in Defenders?

- Why didn't Bullseye bring a gun to the newspaper office attack? He's shown to be an expert marksman and then uses Karen's gun to kill the informant but didn't bring a firearm of his own for some reason. I know they wanted to show the cool way he was using the office supplies in the fight but you could have just had DD disarm him early and get the same result.

- Man, Matt has been taking whatever Frank Castle uses to recovery from injuries. Dude should have serious CTE by now and be barely able to walk.

- Wouldn't Murdock's DNA be all over these crime scenes since he's shown bleeding so much? I guess it wouldn't matter if Matt's not in the database but it seems like something the FBI would investigate, especially since the have the prison break out footage and know there's more to him being blind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BiggerBoat posted:

- Man, Matt has been taking whatever Frank Castle uses to recovery from injuries. Dude should have serious CTE by now and be barely able to walk.

This is my favorite part of it too. It takes place over a fairly short period of time IIRC.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BiggerBoat posted:

6 episodes in and really loving this. Couple of random questions though

- How did Poindexter pass an FBI background check and screening process to land that job having that psyche history? Nutcases been passing LEO tests since the day 1

- Where the gently caress did Fisk get the secret underground base set up from? Home boy he bought it off had a panic room in his penthouse.

- Wouldn't Fisk know that creating a perfect DD suit for Bullseye to wear would lead Matt to Melvin Potter or was that trap the whole plan? Speaking of that, where is Matt's suit? I assume destroyed in Defenders? Melvin said it was a trap, Matt's suit was cut off him at the beginning

- Why didn't Bullseye bring a gun to the newspaper office attack? He's shown to be an expert marksman and then uses Karen's gun to kill the informant but didn't bring a firearm of his own for some reason. I know they wanted to show the cool way he was using the office supplies in the fight but you could have just had DD disarm him early and get the same result. He was supposed to pass as Daredevil.

- Man, Matt has been taking whatever Frank Castle uses to recovery from injuries. Dude should have serious CTE by now and be barely able to walk. I got nothing

- Wouldn't Murdock's DNA be all over these crime scenes since he's shown bleeding so much? I guess it wouldn't matter if Matt's not in the database but it seems like something the FBI would investigate, especially since the have the prison break out footage and know there's more to him being blind. I got nothing

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I would be happy if they made one more Defenders series to tie up loose ends. I hate when shows don’t get a chance to resolve cliffhangers.

Not that I watched Luke Cage or Iron fist S2.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No word on JJ?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rocksicles posted:

No word on JJ?

I'm pretty sure that already got renewed, didn't it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, it's currently filming. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these shows get renewed from now on, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, it's currently filming. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these shows get renewed from now on, though.

If it is Disney trying to coerce the shows to their own service, I could see them leaving Punisher at least, maybe Daredevil and JJ as well. Those shows are far darker than Iron Fist or Luke Cage, and I could see Disney not wanting to openly host them with their brand on a service that's probably going to be very family-oriented.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was kinda wondering if they'd do a three per major character thing like Iron man, Cap, Thor. But that's definitely nixed now. I wish the defenders were more for Fisk than the dumb ninja poo poo. So many points I was both relieved they didn't have them intervene... yet kinda hoped they did anyway. On the whole I liked it though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

If it is Disney trying to coerce the shows to their own service, I could see them leaving Punisher at least, maybe Daredevil and JJ as well. Those shows are far darker than Iron Fist or Luke Cage, and I could see Disney not wanting to openly host them with their brand on a service that's probably going to be very family-oriented.

I think you hit the nail

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I watched the first two episodes of DD3 last night and loved 'em. I don't know why people say they drag, but maybe 3 and 4 do? Or maybe I just don't need instant gratification of cool poo poo happening.

I especially loved all the interactions between Matt and Sister Maggie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

that neti pot tho lmfao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I missed the neti pot completely, but I was doing other poo poo. What episode was this because I am pumped to rewatch that sort of poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

Why didn't Bullseye bring a gun to the newspaper office attack? He's shown to be an expert marksman and then uses Karen's gun to kill the informant but didn't bring a firearm of his own for some reason. I know they wanted to show the cool way he was using the office supplies in the fight but you could have just had DD disarm him early and get the same result. He was supposed to pass as Daredevil.

Rocksicles posted:

He was supposed to pass as Daredevil.

Except

He still used the gun anyway

Man, this season is really loving good. Just having D'Onofrio on screen a lot more bumps it up a full grade from last season. It's much tighter and the characters all have a lot of depth and ambiguity. I have no idea why everyone rag on Foggy and Karen so much. They're both loving great. The whole cast is good and I can't think of a weak link anywhere.

People online seem to not like Agent Nadeem for some reason but he's fine and a cool hub for all the other side deals and schemes, tying them all together. Wilson Bethel is fantastic and I hope we get a full Bullseye costume at some point.

I like the different storytelling devices they're using although having Fisk be a phantom expositional character worked better in Bulleye's flashbacks than it did with Matt in the hotel .

Still wish they'd kept Ben Urich around (since I loved that character) instead of using Karen to fill that role but, thinking about it, from a dramatic standpoint it works better since it ties Matt closer to the threat and makes it more personal. Charlie Cox is so damned great in this and he seems to get overshadowed and receive fewer mentions than the other actors but dude is on point.

Another side point: I wonder why Matt doesn't improvise a bit and at least use SOME form of armor or protection (or even a billy club/weapon) since he knows it helps and he's getting his rear end brutally kicked on the regular. I know he "needs to be hit" to sharpen his senses but I mean god drat, Matt. Mix in some skateboard pads or some gloves dude. Hopefully, he gets his suit back from Bullseye at some point.

And regarding his rapid recovery abilities, they missed a chance to emphasize his relying on drugs when Maggie gives him the painkillers. Showing Matt relying on a mixture of those, steroids and amphetamines lifts a story beat from the comics , would help suspension of disbelief and add a cool layer of agitation, drama and stimulation to Matt's psychosis.

Further:

= How is everyone not all over Murdock and asking serious questions after seeing that prison footage of a blind guy flat wrecking folks left and right?

- I really thought Karen's bindle of heroin was going to come up and, knowing the comic, thought she might try some after calling her dad to dull the pain and getting hooked or something. I'm Glad they didn't go that route but I wondered if she might forget she had it in her purse and then have it turn up during a police or FBI search. Which I guess should still happen.

What's the over under on the remaining number of hallway fights for the next 7 episodes? Jesus Christ.

And, yeah, I haven't felt liked any of this has dragged at all.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 20, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think Daredevil S3 has been my favorite Netflix show from start to finish.

The only real lull was a half an episode spent on Karen's backstory that wasn't really necessary for any reason other than to give her a backstory.

Episodes 3 and 4 were the high point but I think the backend kept the action ramping up to the finale and then delivered.

Agent Nadeem is probably the best use of a minority character if you're looking for normalization.

Karen still is probably my least favorite character but the actress really tries so hard that I can't hate her.

I enjoyed them doing the reverse of most shows and making the state level officials be the ones that weren't corrupt and having them take down the Federal ones.

I always love a good Lady MacBeth too and while Vanessa didn't get to do much, I was really expecting they might hint at her taking over for Fisk and going after Matt.

Comic stuff: I liked the hint of 'Devil in Cell Block D' from episode 4. And I liked them reversing the image of Matt cradling Karen's dead body in the church, with her cradling his beaten one.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 4 is amazing. I'm on 5 and have been enjoying it a lot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Milo and POTUS posted:

I missed the neti pot completely, but I was doing other poo poo. What episode was this because I am pumped to rewatch that sort of poo poo

The first episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I watched the first two episodes of DD3 last night and loved 'em. I don't know why people say they drag, but maybe 3 and 4 do? Or maybe I just don't need instant gratification of cool poo poo happening.

I especially loved all the interactions between Matt and Sister Maggie.

People want action, and seats with cup holders.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cythereal posted:

I think Netflix has the rights to keep making them, and yea I don't think Disney is doing anything adult-oriented like these.

Also, with regards to Jessica Jones I really, really hope they find a way to bring back Killgrave. He's still my favorite villain in all of Netflix's Marvel universe.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

oh what the gently caress. Iron Fist i get, but this one?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Did I miss Turk's cameo, or is this the first Netflix MCU season to air without him showing up?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fargin Icehole posted:

oh what the gently caress. Iron Fist i get, but this one?

yeah makes no god drat sense, the numbers must have been really low

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah makes no god drat sense, the numbers must have been really low

From everything that’s available so far, it was creative differences between Marvel and Netflix and both more or less decided to walk away from the show. I gather Netflix wanted to go 10 episodes, and Disney/Marvel still wanted them to pay the same license as if it was for 13 eps.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cythereal posted:

Not that it’s a definitive strike against JJ S4 but the show runner has already said she’s gone after S3 finishes.

The timing of the LC just feels really weird. Like Netflix realized they hadn’t stepped on their own dick lately.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
fwiw, last week, EW got unspecified confirmation that Iron Fist would continue to appear... somewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the plan was merely for Danny and Colleen to appear on a recurring basis in Luke Cage S3, which would now obviously be kaput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finished my binge watch yesterday and man I loved this season. It was awesome.