Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Patter Song posted:

I had a much better experience playing Twilight Princess HD last year than I did with Breath of the Wild. As someone who prefers linear experiences and indoor dungeons and wants to spend as little time as possible dicking around in the overworld, TP was closer to what I was looking for, though Hyrule Field is still too large in that game.

Yeah I am on the opposite side of the fence. I'll never be able to go back to a linear Zelda ever again. More games should adopt what Breath of the Wild did, or at least use a couple systems pertaining to weather, cooking, etc. It was a pretty epic game. Going to be a tough GOTY decision between BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn. The only thing that infuriated me was climbing when it was raining. They should have had a gear check for that so you could get some gear that allows you to climb during rain without slipping. And rain putting out fire so you can't cook. It would have been nice to have an umbrella or something to place over your cooking pot :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mario Kart is good and I don't get angry playing it. Yall motherfuckers need :420:

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Norns posted:

Mario Kart is good and I don't get angry playing it. Yall motherfuckers need :420:

I usually don't get angry but my god that felt like being cheated for real

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

Yeah I am on the opposite side of the fence. I'll never be able to go back to a linear Zelda ever again. More games should adopt what Breath of the Wild did, or at least use a couple systems pertaining to weather, cooking, etc. It was a pretty epic game. Going to be a tough GOTY decision between BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn. The only thing that infuriated me was climbing when it was raining. They should have had a gear check for that so you could get some gear that allows you to climb during rain without slipping. And rain putting out fire so you can't cook. It would have been nice to have an umbrella or something to place over your cooking pot :)

Fair enough. BOTW is not going to break my top 5 Zelda titles, personally, but there's definitely room for both.

I have been burned on this one, though. I won't be picking up any game described as inspired by Breath of the Wild. I have discovered that I just don't enjoy that style of game.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Utnayan posted:

Yeah, there needs to be something to alleviate rain other than waiting when you can't find a protected camp site.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Utnayan posted:

So don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed BoTW and it's firmly GotY for me unless something major happens.

But your statement there is probably the exact reason I have an issue with it. There are so, so many good open world games. To me, none are as good as BotW, but on the comparative there are so few games with dungeon design anywhere near as good as the Zelda series that it's a shame that the element that all but disappeared was the one that made the series so unique to me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Throwing out there that the Kamiko soundtrack is fantastic, and you should pay the $5 just to listen to it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The Divine Beasts were pretty lame compared to other dungeons in other Zelda games. Hyrule Castle was the best dungeon but also the least like traditional Zelda

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

*laying on death bed, staring into snowglobe held in one hand* The Switch is good *gurgles and dies, dropping snow globe to floor*

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Took my Switch out the dock for the first time. Now I know that the screen works.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Took my Switch out the dock for the first time. Now I know that the screen works.

You took the time to set up the dock

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr. VooDoo posted:

*laying on death bed, staring into snowglobe held in one hand* The Switch is good *gurgles and dies, dropping snow globe to floor*
:same:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dr. VooDoo posted:

same except instead of dying i am ferried to gamehalla to sit by the throne of iwata and await the final battle with Bad Games

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Jarogue posted:

Isn't that a game in 1 2 Switch.

I didn't buy that garbage.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dizz posted:

I didn't buy that garbage.

I have no idea why it isn't a pack in

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

1-2 Switch or Snipperclips should have been a pack-in game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norns posted:

This is a powerful combo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fly with me posted:

1-2 Switch or Snipperclips should have been a pack-in game.

1-2-Switch should've been the pack-in. Snipperclips is very good, but it's "merely" a competent puzzle game. 1-2-Switch actually uses all the gimmicks in the JoyCons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If they had packed it in you'd be complaining that the price was higher because of a bad game you don't want to play. Nintendo chose correctly.

Hell, I'd be complaining about it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Switch costs something like $272 to manufacture so Nintendo likely couldn't justify packing in 1-2 Switch. Still, 1-2 Switch is only worth $4 so it doesn't matter anyway

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Norns posted:

I have no idea why it isn't a pack in

I can agree with that, though to be honest I still probably wouldn't touch the game.

Nintendoland was fun as gently caress though and if anyone ever says otherwise then i will give you a written complaint.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Reminds me of all those 360 and PS3 external fans that didn't do much besides trap dust inside your system.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed BoTW and it's firmly GotY for me unless something major happens.

But your statement there is probably the exact reason I have an issue with it. There are so, so many good open world games. To me, none are as good as BotW, but on the comparative there are so few games with dungeon design anywhere near as good as the Zelda series that it's a shame that the element that all but disappeared was the one that made the series so unique to me.

Yeah I definitely get that too. Hopefully the next one can be the same open world with real world consequences (Weather, Cold, Hot, Snow) with an ability to overcome the weather aspect (There should always be a counter to the negative, or a carrot to overcome it) but add in more complex dungeons. The exploration piece was absolutely amazing. Everyone seems to try and nail down exploration, but there is never a reason to actually do it other than a check box. BOTW was the first game in, probably ever, where I would see something (Without looking at a map), go explore it, and find something fantastically fun. I'll never forget "Oh hey, what's this huge cube structure... let me try to fly over there", and it ends up being a maze with a ton of items and basically what amounted to be a Guardian graveyard. Which just so happened to coincide with what I did moments earlier when I unlocked the ability to buy ancient armor, etc. "How the hell am I going to get all these components". Then followed by "Haha cool I am glad I decided to explore this maze cube Borg looking structure"

Or the small island where you get stripped naked and go through a trial.

I hope we see more of that.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 5, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

The Switch costs something like $272 to manufacture so Nintendo likely couldn't justify packing in 1-2 Switch. Still, 1-2 Switch is only worth $4 so it doesn't matter anyway

There is literally no way I am buying $272 to manufacture. We have seen people piece together the components and come around at a cost of $168 and change and that is without bulk purchasing. And HD rumble was a patented chipset from Texas Instruments more than 4 years ago.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I hope they release mood ring style joycons so people can tell how angry I am while holding one. Angry about video games.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My motion controls drift and pull hard to one side when doing things like aiming zelda arrows.

Calibrating motion fixes it for a day or so, but then the problem comes back. Do I just have bum joycons?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Isn't "hd rumble" just haptics with a dumb name?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Utnayan posted:

There is literally no way I am buying $272 to manufacture. We have seen people piece together the components and come around at a cost of $168 and change and that is without bulk purchasing. And HD rumble was a patented chipset from Texas Instruments more than 4 years ago.

okay? I mean, think what you want, you're entitled to your idiot opinions based on no information whatsoever.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/204243/20170407/how-much-does-the-nintendo-switch-cost-to-make-its-257.htm

$257 is the estimated cost for production. Feel free to come back with whatever made up data you'd like to site to counter what others have looked into.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

okay? I mean, think what you want, you're entitled to your idiot opinions based on no information whatsoever.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/204243/20170407/how-much-does-the-nintendo-switch-cost-to-make-its-257.htm

$257 is the estimated cost for production. Feel free to come back with whatever made up data you'd like to site to counter what others have looked into.

https://technology.ihs.com/588858/teardown-nintendo-switch

Then you do the math on those components.

Obviously this isn't taking into account R&D.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Norns posted:

The actual hardware is more sophisticated than "spin a weight" of "sd rumble" but I mean you could make that case?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

R&D has been going on a long time, even if they're making a bit of money on each unit there's costs to recoup. Until Kimishima or someone actually declares it profitable there's not much of a way of knowing.

AFAIK the HD Rumble unit is more akin to a speaker than what previous rumble paks were.

well why not fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 5, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Here is also a reddit post of a user tearing down the switch dock, which retails separately for $89. Cost - 49 roughly with HDMI licensing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5pjzqq/so_i_went_ahead_and_factored_in_how_much_it_cost/

And that was on the very high end with consumer grade pricing. The Dock alone based on that information (Which sells for $89.99) has an estimated cost of $23.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 5, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nintendo still has my switch for repairs. :f5::f5::f5::f5::f5:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Utnayan posted:

Here is also a reddit post of a user tearing down the switch dock, which retails separately for $89. Cost - 49 roughly with HDMI licensing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5pjzqq/so_i_went_ahead_and_factored_in_how_much_it_cost/
The dock retails for $60.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod880075

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Norns posted:

4K isn't actually 4k anything, but consumers just eat up words that are easy to digest.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Utnayan posted:

https://technology.ihs.com/588858/teardown-nintendo-switch

Then you do the math on those components.

Obviously this isn't taking into account R&D.

Utnayan posted:

And that was on the very high end with consumer grade pricing. The Dock alone based on that information (Which sells for $89.99) has an estimated cost of $23.

Per the tldr on that reddit link:

"TL;DR
Nintendo Switch Dock costs an estimate of $49.99, if packaged without AC Adapter and HDMI cable. Justifying the cost of US$49.99 is based on the unknown cost associated with the microprocessing unit chipset, the labor fees, standard compliances/testing, and research & development."

Not sure where you're getting $23 from. Regardless, all the breakdowns and cost analysis reports I've read puts the Switch in the $250 to $270 range to manufacture, which doesn't include R&D cost, shipping cost, etc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

4K isn't actually 4k anything, but consumers just eat up words that are easy to digest.

2160p is six syllables and a real mouthful. 4k's short, catchy name is much easier to say.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's almost like Utnayan has that avatar for reason :eng101:

Portable or Dock we are all enjoying the Switch in our own way and choices are always good to have.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Oops sorry. So standard 2.0 on accessories. My bad on the dock retail price.

Point being, we know Nintendo makes more than 1.1 on hardware sales whether it's the console or accessories. So this isn't anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I use the dock then switch to portable right before I go to bed

• Locked thread