Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Paranorman is a better telling of the Carrie story than Carrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
After reading this thread, I've watched:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Hellraiser
Re-Animator
Halloween
Sleepaway Camp

Quite a streak. Thanks for the thread and the discussion - these have been incredible.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been away for a while, how was Lords of Salem?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Legit.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Antonia Bird just died which makes it as good a time as ever to watch Ravenous if you still haven't. How many other films are there where there's literally nothing else you can really compare it to?

More than one person I've told who to watch it have refused because of it's low RT score :(. "Looks dumb".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Xandoom posted:

Good as hell if you love those old slow burn 70's movies like The Exorcist.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Was just coming here to post the Bird news. Very sad.

Xandoom posted:

Really really good and I am far from a Zombie fan. He showed some great patience and nailed the atmosphere he needed to provide for any of it to work. I would've been always into giving Zombie's movies a shot just because he does have a natural talent for striking visuals, but never expected him to string together such a strong, coherent story.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I watched The Dyatlov Pass Incident last night because I've always been pretty fascinated by the story and the conspiracy theories, but goddamn, the 3rd act went completely off the rails and not in a good way. I was enjoying it up until that point and it did a lot of things right.

When they got chased into the bunker and found the lab, I was still on board. When they said it was a Philadelphia Experiment sort of thing, I was really on board because I love that poo poo. I even caught all those subtle glimpses of the creatures in the background, which built a really cool and creepy atmosphere.

But then they found an ancient organic portal, and the CG creatures in close-up looked terrible, and it just got stupid. They REALLY should've stopped at WWII experiments, and left the fossilized portal and cave paintings out of it, and replaced it with some Soviet mechanism (I thought it was going to turn out to be like the Chronosphere from Red Alert). They also felt the need to add in that whole "it was them chasing themselves all along!" twist, which even broke the found footage format in the final shot's gradual zoom.

It was getting really good, and then suddenly Teleporting Bad CG Cavemen With a Stargate.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Paranorman is a better telling of the Carrie story than Carrie.

I still feel that most people miss one of the key points of Paranorman: just because you're a victim doesn't also mean that you can't be a huge whiny jackass to the people who care about you. That was kind of Norman's whole breakthrough at the end when he confronted the witch. "Yeah, what they did to you really sucks, but now you're taking it out on a lot of people... kind of like what I do. :( "

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
So I started Lords of Salem a bit ago. Definitely was not ready for that opening scene. I think I'm scarred for life.

E: drat, that was a weird rear end movie. Slow burn definitely applies here. I really loved the feel of the movie - it feels so oppressive. I'm not 100% sure on what happened at the ending as I feel like I'm missing a little something even though it's all laid out for you.

I would recommend it for sure. Probably my favorite Zombie flick at this point as it just has such a cool vibe. I feel like they could've done so much more with the idea but what was there was good.

Also, the song you hear throughout the movie is haunting as poo poo. I can't even imagine a creepier and more fitting tune.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 27, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Stuff about Jason Goes To Hell:

I still like it! Sadly, the version in the recently released Friday box set is the rated R cut and not the unrated. Actually very noticeable, mostly in the camping scene where a spectacularly brutal kill is cut down to nearly nothing. But yeah, I understand people's issues with the movie, I just think the effects work and general batshit insanity save it. Oh also, the Freddy thing at the end gets a lot of love, but the film also references "The Myers house", shows the Necronomicon for more than a few moments and for some reason, has the crate from Creepshow in the Voorhees basement. This is all neat poo poo and made 12 year old me's head explode

So yeah, not a good film really, but it's really fun and if nothing else, you'll get a kick out of the goofy rear end gore. Also, Creighton Duke.

JP Money posted:

So I started Lords of Salem a bit ago. Definitely was not ready for that opening scene. I think I'm scarred for life.

E: drat, that was a weird rear end movie. Slow burn definitely applies here. I really loved the feel of the movie - it feels so oppressive. I'm not 100% sure on what happened at the ending as I feel like I'm missing a little something even though it's all laid out for you.

You missed nothing I bet. Satan won. He pitched a shutout and easily got his way. There's no twist, no nothing: Evil wins (because good is dumb). Oppressive is a great term for the movie.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 27, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really hope Rob Zombie's next movie is a Horror/Sci-fi. So much of his music references the genre and I'd love to see another film for that dead genre.

-----

Unrelated: after watching F13 part 6 and Near Dark, I really wish I was a cop in the 80's.

:stonk: "I just saw my best friends murdered and my son was kidnapped!"

:cop: "Son, you must be on drugs. Ain't nothing like that never happened before, you're under arrest for drugs."

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 27, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can I get some recommendations for Friday the 13th knockoffs? I'm looking for a slasher flick that takes place in camp (I don't remember any scenes, just that it was a camp) but I also like Jason knock offs.

I've seen The Burning and Sleepaway Camp.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Skywalker OG posted:

What happened at the end or 'Resolution'? Just watched it and can't figure out what happened.

It ends with the two guys looking at the monster: Us! The viewer. They dodged numerous "endings" and it concluded with no actual ending as we, the viewers, will never be 100% satisfied on how it ends. One of the final lines of dialogue was "can we try another way?"

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I love that ending and that particular line. He sounds like a little kid. Scary.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Toriori posted:

Ugh I love Rosemarys Baby. Mia Farrow is so beautiful it's frustrating.

I just watched it for the first time a few days ago, and while I enjoyed the movie immensely, I had trouble finding it a horror movie. :stare: THIS IS NO DREAM THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING! :stare: Plus there was a temporal / cultural issue for me: Mia's character is so passive ("Wow, my stomach hurts all the time, I'm losing weight, but I won't bother to get a second opinion!") that she seemed no different than a Dumb F13 character.

Also, having watched a lot of the series lately (including Curse of Chucky, which has the best post-credit scene ever),: the scariest moment in any of the Child's Play films is actually in Seed Of Chucky, surprisingly enough. When he learns that his wife and kid are leaving him, it cuts to Chucky angrily grinning, muttering "Nobody leaves me!" I legitimately got chills in that scene.

Cunted
Dec 18, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recommendations for Friday the 13th knockoffs? I'm looking for a slasher flick that takes place in camp (I don't remember any scenes, just that it was a camp) but I also like Jason knock offs.

Just Before Dawn is pretty decent.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So been getting the halloween spirit.

I watched carrie (1976) with a girl who never seen it before. She enjoyed it. What really struck me is how at place in the 70's the story felt. I think one great device for tension is the fact that the people planning the prank are spotted and tension builds as the rope is spotted things are slowed down in the dream like quality for carrie she is almost saved but then she is isnt. And we get a great pay off.

I think the impact is lessoned since the scene referred alot in other movies. Like "the Rage"

I also been watching hellraiser and for all the flaws of the sequels I was taken in how the first three are "coherent" to a pretty good degree.

In two Julia is brought back by the same means as frank, by Channard who is driven by his obsession. ending the 2nd movie with the pillar of souls to lanch the third movie seemed like some pretty good for thing, and way they kept it going with a news women I thought worked, as lest it explained how she got a copy of kristy's tape, and the way she was befriending the punk rock girl was at lest an attempt of characterization that seems missing in most recent horror movies I have seen, or at lest her interaction with the punk girl seemed better than the dad and vietnam stuff they threw in.

What I think head the series back.

The shift in characterizing pinhead who I think doesnt need to be a leader or have a back story he is a part of some alien super natural force that is basically amoral.

By the end of the third movie pinhead is creating cenobites and being a typical monster movie.

The second movie would work with them going into the cenobite's realm. Julia looking for her father but instead finding frank works. But why Channard's intrest shifts from Kristy to Julia to Tiffany makes no real sense. He just became a monster for the sake of the plot.

Same with monroe in the 3rd film he buys the pillar of souls some poo poo goes down at his night club but it doesnt click till pinhead eats a girl and compares it to how he used her. (also loving with a cigarette in your mouth makes no sense) But monroe doesnt seem to be swade by pinhead in the pillar in fact it seems like the characters just give up and do what pin head wants for no real clear motivation. Hell you could cut monroe out of the movie and it wouldnt make a difference at all.

Still it was nice to watch the movies and feel like they were a continuation of the same story because they were book ended well enough.

oh and this was on last night and I would love to see a movie like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEzGDzZ1dY

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005

OK Octopus posted:

I still feel that most people miss one of the key points of Paranorman: just because you're a victim doesn't also mean that you can't be a huge whiny jackass to the people who care about you. That was kind of Norman's whole breakthrough at the end when he confronted the witch. "Yeah, what they did to you really sucks, but now you're taking it out on a lot of people... kind of like what I do. :( "

What? I don't remember / pick up on this bit of self reflection at all. Norman is patient and fairly understanding with everyone until he rightfully snaps at them in the library. In the end, he basically tells Aggie that it's not OK to want to bully just because you were bullied, but it isn't really a breakthrough for Norman himself because... well, he was never a bully. Maybe I wasn't watching the post-showdown scene closely enough or something.

re comparing it to Carrie: It might be a subjectively better telling of a bully story for you, but I think it's unclear if they are trying to hit the same moral notes because I don't think either Carrie version goes far enough to condemn Carrie's actions. The original makes the prom scene seem as though most of Carrie's powers are unleashed without conscious effort, and the second one is practically begging you to root for Carrie at certain points of her rampage. Heck, the epilogue is basically Carrie's 'friend' summing up the events of the movie as bad things happen when you push people too far!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Well it doesn't take place at a camp, but Hatchet is basically a comedic take on the Friday films. You will either like it a lot or totally hate it and you will be correct in whatever stance you end up with.

For the record, I like Hatchet somehow.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Madman and The Mutilator come to mind.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
So I bought this for 5 bones... mainly so that I can watch Paranormal Entity and so that my ol' lady can watch whichever movie has the Dawson's Creek guy in it. Any of the others stand out as particularly watchable to you guys?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

saulwright posted:

So I bought this for 5 bones... mainly so that I can watch Paranormal Entity and so that my ol' lady can watch whichever movie has the Dawson's Creek guy in it. Any of the others stand out as particularly watchable to you guys?

Inside, if that is indeed the Inside I'm thinking of.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Inside, if that is indeed the Inside I'm thinking of.
I'd be really surprised if it is. That'd be cool and make the set more than worth it, but pretty incongruous with the rest.

e: It's not

quote:

INSIDE
Alex has a disturbing hobby of following strangers…until one night he gets caught and becomes trapped in a horrifying existence.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, figured there was no way that was the real Inside.

You should watch Cursed just to see how much of a disaster one thing can be. Also, Jesse Eisenberg howling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking up half these movies and they seem distinctly bottom of the barrel. You watch a lot of horror movies and think you'll watch literally anything and then you see crap like this and realize that is a comforting lie to make yourself feel like some kind of ultimate genre buff. I wouldn't gently caress most of these movies with your sister's dick, so to speak.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

saulwright posted:

Is Darkness the one with Anna Paquin? I really like that one.

And if Mortuary is the one by Tobe Hooper, I love that one too.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
If I enjoy one of Mortuary, Howling IV, or Darkness, that + Paranormal Entity will make me feel like the $5 was worth it. Apparently Cursed is the one with Dawson's Creek guy, so I'll be sitting through that one too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I just watched The Awakening. That movie is alright (And has a great dollhouse scene). I just wish the end wasn't quite so unambiguous.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

DrVenkman posted:

I just watched The Awakening. That movie is alright (And has a great dollhouse scene). I just wish the end wasn't quite so unambiguous.

Is that the one where the lady abandons her children and kills herself?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Neumonic posted:

Is that the one where the lady abandons her children and kills herself?

Boarding school in the UK I think.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yeah, I think the end of The Awakening is kind of disappointing garbage, but everything else about the movie is so great that it pretty much makes up for it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I just watched Dark Floors on IFC. I thought it was an interesting take on the whole time loop/they're already dead thing. I read the IMDB boards for the movie (yeah, I know, but there are actually some thoughtful comments/analyses there).

One theory there seems to be the above-mentioned time loop/they're already dead, where Sarah and Tobias (old hobo guy) already know they're dead, but the others don't so the hospital has become a kind of purgatory.

Another theory that is interesting is that the entire movie is in Sarah's mind. They don't tell us what kind of "condition" she has, but the "symptoms" suggest she is somewhere on the autism spectrum. The demons could represent her struggles and frustration with her inability to communicate or relate to other people (except Tobias, and the people who suggested this theory suggested that he was also on the spectrum).

I tend to lean towards the first theory because the events in the movie (and one scene in particular) tend to support it better than the second one, in my opinion.

Have any of you seen it? What are your thoughts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Watched the 35th anniversary BD of Halloween last night. It's really as good as it could get; the picture is so clear that in one scene at the end you can see fabric imprints on Jamie Lee Curtis's face which she explains came from falling asleep on a sofa between setups. The new commentary with JLC and Carpenter is very informative. The rest of the extras are pretty light, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, I think the end of The Awakening is kind of disappointing garbage, but everything else about the movie is so great that it pretty much makes up for it.

The actual third act was fine, it's the coda that's the problem. The Director seemed to think it was ambiguous when he very much hammers it home. I think with some vague line readings you could easily have it be unclear if she's dead at the end or not. and it seemed like it was heading that way. It's also the whole point of the film (People questioning what they see). Instead it's this weirdly definitive answer.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I Am a Ghost has been mentioned a couple times now, and it looks like it's finally being screened in the US. It's just for one day at The Castro Theatre in San Francisco on 10/29, and I don't live in California, but the good news is it seems like the festival screenings are ending so it should be available on video at some point in the near future finally.

quote:

http://iamaghost.com/

With the film festival run coming to an end, it's time to finally release the film! Before it hits home video in a few months, we're going to be screening in a few cities, including the beautiful Castro Theatre in San Francisco!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are the best Stephen King movie adaptions?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Xandoom posted:

What are the best Stephen King movie adaptions?

In no particular order: Carrie, The Shining, The Mist, Christine, Misery.

For non-horror, Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Jedit posted:

Watched the 35th anniversary BD of Halloween last night. It's really as good as it could get; the picture is so clear that in one scene at the end you can see fabric imprints on Jamie Lee Curtis's face which she explains came from falling asleep on a sofa between setups. The new commentary with JLC and Carpenter is very informative. The rest of the extras are pretty light, though.

Can't agree more on how good the picture looks. It really is a beautiful transfer.

Also, every Halloween fan owes it to themselves to watch the documentary "Halloween: 25 years of Terror" It was released in 06 and has a poo poo ton of information about the original run of films. It's like 10 bucks on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Glamorama26 posted:

Stuff about Jason Goes To Hell:

I still like it! Sadly, the version in the recently released Friday box set is the rated R cut and not the unrated. Actually very noticeable, mostly in the camping scene where a spectacularly brutal kill is cut down to nearly nothing. But yeah, I understand people's issues with the movie, I just think the effects work and general batshit insanity save it. Oh also, the Freddy thing at the end gets a lot of love, but the film also references "The Myers house", shows the Necronomicon for more than a few moments and for some reason, has the crate from Creepshow in the Voorhees basement. This is all neat poo poo and made 12 year old me's head explode

The fact that the Ft13th and NOES boxsets only have the R-rated theatrical cuts of all the movies baffles and annoys me. Especially since it seems like every movie gets an "UNRATED" DVD release these days. The world gets an Unrated release of The Internship, but we can't get the cumulative extra minute or so of gore in our slasher blu-ray box sets?