Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Does anyone make a good line of cold war/1970s Soviets in 28mm? Zona Alfa is coming out soon and I'd like to make a couple of bands for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So the owner of my local FLGS recommends using 1/48 vehicles with Bolt Action's 28mm infantry and guns/equipment. Is this more to scale or just look better or is it not?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bolt Action models are ostensibly 1/56, and that's what their vehicle line is scaled to, but BA models are all big chonky guys who are probably closer to 1/48 than 1/56.

This is pretty noticable on vehicle crews. The tank commanders that come with the Italeri kits sold by Warlord are "true" 1/56 and look tiny compared to Warlord's infantry. Another example is BA's SU-76. The crew are Bolt Action sized, the vehicle is 1:56. The result is that the fighting compartment is absolutely packed with just two dudes, while in real life there were 3. Fitting a third BA-scale guy in there would be totally impossible.

That said, it's not noticable on the table at all. 1:56 is absolutely fine, and you will have a much easier time finding models in that scale.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think the key is just pick one and stick with it. If you mix scales it becomes obvious pretty quickly.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Does anyone make a good line of cold war/1970s Soviets in 28mm? Zona Alfa is coming out soon and I'd like to make a couple of bands for that.

Check out Empress. They're more geared to modern, but the sculpts are the best I've seen. The vehicles are badass too.

Or: https://lead-adventure.de/index.php?k=7&lang=eng

That should get your stalker fix going

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JcDent posted:

Just in like in 40K, it sells miniatures. That's the answer, all the time, every time.

The 40K method is superior only because you don't have fans going :byodood: TELESCOPING SCALE :byodood: to justify the unjustifiable.

OK, I hadn't seen that anecdote. They probably tried a whole corps on the table at once, running a regiment isn't nearly that bad.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

So the owner of my local FLGS recommends using 1/48 vehicles with Bolt Action's 28mm infantry and guns/equipment. Is this more to scale or just look better or is it not?

1/48 looks better. In either scale case there are outliers: a 1/56 herzer is tiny where a 1/48 one looks correct. A 1/48 tiger is appropriately beefy where a panther seems a bit large.

1/48 armor kits are pretty limited, so if you're wanting to do obscure armies or specific theaters you may want to go with 1/56. If you're doing USA or Nazis 1/48 is fine. (Edit:unless you want Lee's or Grants)

The other thing is that 1/56 kit are made for tabletop games but 1/48 kits are made for a display case. 1/48 kits have easily broken off bits (that I tend to leave off). They're not so fragile that they cant be used but they are much more of a challenge to put together compared to a rubicon or warlord games model.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 6, 2019

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Beerdeer posted:

Paul Hicks sculpted some for Mongrel Miniatures, which are currently owned and distributed by Badger Games in the US.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Spectre [UK] does some decent russians, but you'd probably have to knock off all the NVGs and be a bit picky with weapons.

Elite Miniatures [AUS] have guys that are probably a bit too modern again, but from three feet I doubt you'll tell.
Edit: oh these are just empress minis shipped from aus, whoops!

Always gonna shout about Eureka Miniatures NBC soviets.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Someone's posted their thoughts on the best factions in Team Yankee, given the rules changes in version 2.

Apparently, it's probably the Iraqis.

https://www.blitzminis.com/blogs/ne...5jVzXliQaUUohM4

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

tomdidiot posted:

Someone's posted their thoughts on the best factions in Team Yankee, given the rules changes in version 2.

That's so loving goofy it makes me actually want to play team yankee

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

tomdidiot posted:

I'm kinda annoyed by how some nations get super-units from the mid-90s while the Dutch and NSWP are running about with what sounds like basically nothing in the fancy department.

Also come on people, the Marder 2 doesn't have tank-level protection, Military-Today is wrong and shouldn't be regarded as an authoritative source to begin with!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm kinda annoyed by how some nations get super-units from the mid-90s while the Dutch and NSWP are running about with what sounds like basically nothing in the fancy department.

Also come on people, the Marder 2 doesn't have tank-level protection, Military-Today is wrong and shouldn't be regarded as an authoritative source to begin with!

The Dutch got their IFV-type APCs before the British and Americans did, which is sort of saying something.

Currently painting up my 4CMBG Canadians... any tips? Going by the Colours of war paint scheme seems like a reasonable start.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Always be shouting about the NBC soviets.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Need to get some NATO NBC peeps to run against them in some radioactive wasteland games.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cassa posted:

Need to get some NATO NBC peeps to run against them in some radioactive wasteland games.

I think Eureka sells them as well :p

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Teach me to never look at their USA stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

There's also Gasmask Bundeswehr

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

tomdidiot posted:

The Dutch got their IFV-type APCs before the British and Americans did, which is sort of saying something.

Currently painting up my 4CMBG Canadians... any tips? Going by the Colours of war paint scheme seems like a reasonable start.

It can be difficult to find good pictures of Canadian vehicle colour schemes because the paint used faded quickly, which combined with dirt and dust made them all end up as dirty, green-brown blobs. Once fresh, however, they have a unique and vibrant camouflage pattern that closely resembles West German/NATO three-tone, but with light khaki tones that the mind reads as a kind of bright green.

Scheme guides can be found here: M113, Grizzly, Cougar, Leopard C1 version 1, version 2, version 3, M109, M109A2/A3/A4, (details), M113/Leopard C1 details.

This guy has a guide on how to paint the M113 and a lot of details for how vehicles were numbered.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 8, 2019

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I bought a Danish Napoleonic command staff from Perry. I just want to display them, so I'm only going to paint them as long as I think it's fun to do.

Here's my WIP for today. 28mm is a hassle, and I have oodles of respect for liljonas and the rest of you gaming in this scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

I bought a Danish Napoleonic command staff from Perry. I just want to display them, so I'm only going to paint them as long as I think it's fun to do.

Here's my WIP for today. 28mm is a hassle, and I have oodles of respect for liljonas and the rest of you gaming in this scale.

Nice work! I like the highlights a lot, mine are much less controlled. I'm stuck with the Calpe stuff since the horrible weather (rain or wind, rain or wind, repeat) has kept me from priming. I'm diggin into a Vistula Legion battalion instead.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Nice work! I like the highlights a lot, mine are much less controlled. I'm stuck with the Calpe stuff since the horrible weather (rain or wind, rain or wind, repeat) has kept me from priming. I'm diggin into a Vistula Legion battalion instead.

But on the other hand, you paint literally hundreds. I'm going to paint 4!

I finished him today btw.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Very nice!

These Vistula guys looks... suspiciously suitable to give that Dane a fight. :O

The yellow will be a more of a lemon yellow once done, though.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Alright, I'm just about to start painting.

This is uh a screenshot of two primary colours primed onto late war german tanks, and this is a colour I own called 'hammerfall khaki'

What do we think? Is this an okay primary colour? A lot of people paint their german tanks starting a lot more yellow than this I think. But it looks really close to that 1944-1945 Dunkelgelb....

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Those colours look slightly wrong to me; dunkelgelb's more green-yellow than tan yellow. But, that said, it did get more tan yellow later on; it's WW2, most colours are close enoughs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dunkelgelb has always been really hard for me to make look proper so thanks to the german logistics system for being so poo poo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Also afaik it quickly faded.

Here's a good summary why nobody will be able to tell you the right shade of dunkelgelb. Basically, if you find a shade you like the look of and is more or less in the ballpark of a dark yellow, go with it.

https://gluestickssite.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/dunkelgelb-for-dummies/

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

That's a good article and, except for the specifics about german archiving and getting bombed, applies to everyone. Soviet uniforms noticeably changed colour over the course of their production; olive drab was mixed differently and faded differently depending on country of origin, dust and mud gets on everything and makes vehicles more closely resemble the surrounding countryside than their factory scheme, and so on. If you look at it and you go "Yeah, that's a green/brown/yellow/whatever tank" you're probably fine.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Yeah okay I won't worry about it. I'm down with this as a base colour.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rough estimation works especially in the late war. Once resources start dwindling, it becomes "Is it close enough to the old colour that we won't shoot them accidentally? Then it's good enough".

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah people pointing out when one part of your tiny mans uniform is slightly the wrong shade of green was half the reason it took me so long to get into historicals. When I realized these people are a small minority and disliked by many then it was way easier to start painting my Italian Bersagliari.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

As someone with an unhealthy amount of plastic tanks, gently caress those people.

Honestly, I've always felt like even the gimmick paint schemes like Cobra tanks or whatever are better than just having grey plastic. Wrong/novelty paintjobs are better than no paintjob by miles, and people aren't typically huge dicks about unpainted stuff.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah okay I won't worry about it. I'm down with this as a base colour.

That is a good dunkelgelb. Just like all dogs are good dogs, all dunkelgelbs are good dunkelgelbs.

I've gone through so many variations of dunkelgelbs, rotbrauns and whatever-the-gently caress-gruns since I started my German FOW force this summer. I just try to keep it consistent within each unit, that's all. The Tiger in the center is probably what I've settled on for now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Geisladisk posted:

keep it consistent within each unit

That's the wrong sort of consistency for germans in june of 1944.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

gelb help thread

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Don't ask me about how pissed I got when I realized that the Germans didn't use dunkelgelb in the desert. After I painted my desert StuG dunkelgelb, thinking that it makes sense to paint desert tanks yellow. Which was before I learned that they only like, less than a dozen StuGs survived the trip to North Africa and they were all a different type of StuG. WW2 is hard.

#StuGlyfe

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Don't ask me about how pissed I got when I realized that the Germans didn't use dunkelgelb in the desert. After I painted my desert StuG dunkelgelb, thinking that it makes sense to paint desert tanks yellow. Which was before I learned that they only like, less than a dozen StuGs survived the trip to North Africa and they were all a different type of StuG. WW2 is hard.

#StuGlyfe

If not yellow, were they just grey in the desert?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

If not yellow, were they just grey in the desert?

They were A DIFFERENT shade of yellow. Or brown. Or sometimes grey. And green.

Dunkelgelb was RAL 7028. Basically the Germans in North Africa had an original set of yellow-brown, RAL 8000, with green-gray spots RAL 7008, from 1941. Then they switched to yellow-Brown RAL 8020 and sand gray RAL 7027 in the spring of 1942. But in all that chaos, they also sent some vehicles and gear that were painted for the Eastern Front and didn't have time to re-paint, so those would be grey with whatever paint they had available on site. So you could have a grey base colour with stripes of stolen British paint, etc.

And then all paints would be stripped by sand storms and/or bleached to almost white in the sun.

This thread has a good dunkelgelb diskussion, with the range from a brownish yellow to almost bone white:

https://www.forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=95415

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 9, 2019

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Related: Britain and the US used very similar colors for their tanks - Olive Drab for the US, and a lighter brown for the UK. The USSR used green. Germany used dunkelgelb as the base, with dark green and brown camouflage.

Obviously when picking your tank colours you want the colour to not stick out; Hence the browns and greens.

My question is - Germany switched from the dark grey to tricolor with dunkelgelb base in 1943. At that point they obviously knew that their enemies were using dark browns and green, respectively.

Was IFF a consideration when picking those colours? Obviously they wouldn't have chosen Olive Drab or Green, since that'd result in a mess of IFF which neither side wants.

My question is: Is the selection process that led to these particular colours known, and was what the other guys were using a factor? Did they go, "well, obviously Olive Drab and Green are great choices, but we can't use that, so here's a weird ever-so-slightly greenish beige color"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Obviously they wouldn't have chosen Olive Drab or Green,

In 1944 they switched base colors from the dark yellow to dark green. Source:

quote:

On 20 December 1944, it was ordered that a Dunkelgrün base coat, with a hard-edge pattern of Dunkelgelb and Rotbraun should be used.