Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

aarontxwl posted:

Okay I basically registred in January and haven't thought about it until now. I just don't want to (a) overstudy for it or (b) be that guy who has to retake it. But if it's a complete loving joke I'll just find the Barbri thing and maybe do some practice questions. I was also under the impression that an 85 means 85/100 so okay I'm going to continue not worrying about it.
Yeah, don't retake it. I signed up to take it earlier than all of my friends, and then completely forgot about it until the night before the exam, at 1am, when I was out at a bar. At that point, I decided that it wasn't worth studying, but that I might as well see if the test is really so easy that it could be taken cold. Answer? Nope - I got an 82, but needed an 85 for New York. Put in the 5 hours of studying that it'll take to guarantee a passing score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I studied for the MPRE probably about 5 hours total and got a 92. So I guess I am just not very ethical?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is this where we gloat about our MPRE scores? Because I got a near-perfect score and only missed one question.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

entris posted:

Is this where we gloat about our MPRE scores? Because I got a near-perfect score and only missed one question.

See, that's not worth gloating about, you actually put some thought and effort into it. I know two 86s. They put in the minimal amount of mental energy, and got the minimum score to pass in all jurisdictions. THEY can gloat.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

OH MY GOD

quote:

A Georgetown co-ed told Rep. Nancy Pelosi's hearing that the women in her law school program are having so much sex that they're going broke

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

You were one question away from losing the game with a perfect score!

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

Fluffykins
Mar 26, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

See, that's not worth gloating about, you actually put some thought and effort into it. I know two 86s. They put in the minimal amount of mental energy, and got the minimum score to pass in all jurisdictions. THEY can gloat.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I maybe studied a few hours and got an 85. Yeah, no Texas or Cali for me, but it was good enough for my jurisdiction.

In other news, wow, the bar isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So far, at least.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Stop posted:

That's a terrible article/editorial/whatever

quote:

Study after study by the Media Research Center, the parent organization of CNSNews.com, clearly demonstrate a liberal bias in many news outlets – bias by commission and bias by omission – that results in a frequent double-standard in editorial decisions on what constitutes "news."

In response to these shortcomings, MRC Chairman L. Brent Bozell III founded CNSNews.com in an effort to provide an alternative news source that would cover stories that are subject to the bias of omission and report on other news subject to bias by commission.

:suicide:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Birth control pills are expensive, what an rear end in a top hat that guy is

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

entris posted:

An 86 in an 85 jurisdiction is worth gloating about

149 is just sad

e:

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Much more eloquently put

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

quote:

A Georgetown co-ed told Rep. Nancy Pelosi's hearing that the women in her law school program are having so much sex that they're going broke
:patriot:

Also,

Phil Moscowitz posted:

what an rear end in a top hat that guy is

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Guess I should transfer to Gtown!! :shobon:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
You know that being a criminal defense attorney has made you a broken person when:

You find Thinking, Fast and Slow waay more disturbing than Blood Meridian.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the Planned Parenthood is in Dupont and the law school's by Union Station, so it's hardly "in the neighborhood." It's at least 15 blocks away.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My Secured Transactions prof decided that our exam would be closed book today. Please kill me. It's the right thing to do.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Omerta posted:

My Secured Transactions prof decided that our exam would be closed book today. Please kill me. It's the right thing to do.

I had a closed secured final, its not that bad really, when you go to review at the end you realize there's not that much poo poo and it's all pretty BEEP BOOP A GOES WITH B. I agree its stupid to have Code classes be closed book but as far as that goes secured is one of the easier ones.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

20 days, 30 days or 50 days. File or don't file. Consumers are always protected from being hosed. Attachment and perfection. You'll do fine.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Thanks for the moral support. I guess I'm overreacting because I haven't really studied/read for the class because I've been working on my comment all the time. It seems intuitive, but I thought about taking another code course (like BK or tax) closed book and it made me depressed and sad.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Heh, tax closed book. I'd rather not.

EDIT: But good luck!

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I first read that as "securities regulation" and started trembling.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

joat mon posted:

You know that being a criminal defense attorney has made you a broken person when:

You find Thinking, Fast and Slow waay more disturbing than Blood Meridian.

Haha, 10-8's post convinced me to order that on Amazon too. I'll get to it soon.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Omerta posted:

He didn't tell you before the semester started? Dick move and lol.

Or you didn't specifically screen classes for closed book exams before the semester started? You dug your own hole and also you must be a 2L.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
lol @ the MPRE. I just pulled an all-nighter grinding practice questions til I got em all right, then managed to get somewhere between an 86 and a 95. I know two people who failed the MPRE; neither of them studied the first time around and one of them got wasted the night before (an alcoholic law student/lawyer? well i never!)

Going to take the MBE in like 9 hours. Feeling much less neurotic about my chances at passing the exam after 4 essays and the MPT. Overhearing people's post-essay convos and realizing that i probably typed 3x the amount the other guy at my table did was pretty delightful.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Omerta posted:

Thanks for the moral support. I guess I'm overreacting because I haven't really studied/read for the class because I've been working on my comment all the time. It seems intuitive, but I thought about taking another code course (like BK or tax) closed book and it made me depressed and sad.
Mine was a completely open everything, 20-question true/false and MC mix. Curved.

I earned that B+ so hard. I'm poo poo at MC; I'm probably going to be one of the failures who doesn't pass the MPRE the first go-around. But you? You have a chance to beat the curve!

Also, Secured Transactions is probably the most horribly insipid class of law school. Tax sounds like it might be a close second, but I have heard that it at least clicks with some people. I don't know anyone who goes "Secured Transactions? Yeah, man. gently caress yeah. I love me some of that."

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I liked ST, it was ridiculously easy and everything fit together like legos. It's real stuff, unlike worthless bullshit like torts and privacy and everything else you take.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Unamuno posted:

Overhearing people's post-essay convos and realizing that i probably typed 3x the amount the other guy at my table did was pretty delightful.

I just took the IL bar as my second; is there any state besides Illinois that imposes a character/word limit?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Boxman posted:

I just took the IL bar as my second; is there any state besides Illinois that imposes a character/word limit?

GA.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Omerta posted:

If you have time, find a book of multiple choice questions on secured transactions and work through it. I did this and it really helped, because it just reinforces all the basic connections that you need - e.g., you need to file to perfect, unless it's a X kind of security interest - there aren't really tricks and traps and hazy caselaw; it's just a matter of knowing the connections between the provisions of Art 9 and the bankruptcy code.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Boxman posted:

CO

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah so really I lied about my MPRE score, I didn't get a near-perfect.

Also that comment about GULC women having a ton of sex really drives home how socially isolated I was during law school - I only had sex with, what, 10 or 15 women each semester? God I missed out.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009
Stupid earnest law school advice post:

I'm from Texas, and I've been admitted to UT, Michigan, with a scholarship that makes it even tuition-wise with Texas, and Penn, with no scholarship information yet. Right now, my instinct is to go to UT, but there's a part of me that really wants Penn. In part, it's because I would rather live in New York than a big Texas city, and I also think I just like the vibe of the school more than UT's. Obviously, that's a hard thing to really know before going in, though I worry that I'm even subconsciously wanting to go to #7 instead of #14.

I'm rambling, but my thinking is this: UT over Michigan, but Penn if I get enough aid to make it equal cost. Does that sound like a good game plan to you guys? It's hard to find objective advice because everyone in Texas thinks UT is God and has never heard of Penn, but I've also heard that UT grads have been pretty hard hit lately, and I know to take the advice of anyone who went to school 40 years ago with a grain of salt.

A complicating factor is that I'm working as a paralegal for a small but fun firm right now, and they've explicitly offered me a job when I get out of school. Not out of politeness, either; they're really pushing. I like the people that I'd be working for, and I would get to do way more substantive stuff, and I even think that in the medium run my salary wouldn't be that different. At the same time, I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket with a small firm just because of all the possible things that could go wrong, and I also don't want to miss an opportunity to work for one of those big firms and always wonder what I could have done. I also feel like starting at the big firm makes it easier to lateral into good work down the line. Of course, there's a chance I might not get biglaw anyways, and then even if I do I only hear about how terrible it is anyways, so would it be a smarter move to stick with the small firm?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Michigan is a TTT in decline but if you don't want to stay in Texas I just gotta believe U of M is the superior option

If you were happy in Texas, I'd say U of T and never look back, but Michigan is (probably) going to carry more weight in NY/Chicago

Your standing offer from your firm sounds like they don't much care where you go

I would say Penn (with money) > Mich (with money) > U of T in your situation

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mixed Doubles posted:

I'm from Texas, and I've been admitted to UT, Michigan, with a scholarship that makes it even tuition-wise with Texas, and Penn, with no scholarship information yet. Right now, my instinct is to go to UT, but there's a part of me that really wants Penn. In part, it's because I would rather live in New York than a big Texas city, and I also think I just like the vibe of the school more than UT's. Obviously, that's a hard thing to really know before going in, though I worry that I'm even subconsciously wanting to go to #7 instead of #14.

I think this all hinges on how much you like snow.

I personally think snow can eat a dick and think you should go to UT because Austin's awesome and law school's full of jerks wherever you go.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 29, 2012

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Mixed Doubles posted:

I don't know why you'd rank UT ahead of Michigan if it's going to cost you the same amount of money to attend.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mixed Doubles posted:

I'm rambling, but my thinking is this: UT over Michigan, but Penn if I get enough aid to make it equal cost. Does that sound like a good game plan to you guys? It's hard to find objective advice because everyone in Texas thinks UT is God and has never heard of Penn, but I've also heard that UT grads have been pretty hard hit lately, and I know to take the advice of anyone who went to school 40 years ago with a grain of salt.

If you want to go to New York, Penn (with equivalent money) > Michigan > UT. Taking on the full cost of attendance for any of them wouldn't be worth it, but you could call up the Penn admissions people and say "hey, I've got this money offer from Mich but I want to be an Ivy-league snob, can you guys do anything for me?"

If you want to work at your small firm, it probably doesn't make any difference so long as you can pass the Texas bar. Go to whichever has the cheapest cost of living.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

gret posted:

I don't know why you'd rank UT ahead of Michigan if it's going to cost you the same amount of money to attend.

I guess it's a preference thing. I went to undergrad in New England so I have a bunch of friends all along the East Coast, whereas Michigan just seems far away in the worst way. Philadelphia seems like a cool city, and I feel like if I do end up coming back to Texas from there I would feel more like I did it on my terms.

And, honestly, UT will probably end up measurably cheaper than Michigan just in terms of travel and all that. Plus Austin is warm.

Edit: Also, thanks everyone for the advice. The UT admission has weirdly freaked me out because everyone around me has basically already bought me the sweatshirt and I feel a little swept away in everything.

Below: I meant that I would probably end up working in one of the big Texas cities.

Mixed Doubles fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 29, 2012

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Mixed Doubles posted:

Where do you live in Texas if you think Austin is a big Texas city?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mixed Doubles posted:

Edit: Also, thanks everyone for the advice. The UT admission has weirdly freaked me out because everyone around me has basically already bought me the sweatshirt and I feel a little swept away in everything.

That's how it goes. Everyone freaks out about it. If you want to get out, it's possible to get jobs in NYC in Texas (I have friends at Skadden that went to UT). If you want to work in a big firm in Texas, it's the place to go. However, if you do want to work in NYC, Penn or Michigan have more firms interviewing.

Go visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mixed Doubles posted:

blah blah blah

If you think you might want to leave Texas, don't go to UT. It's pretty simple.

Going to UT over Michigan for any other reason other than deciding you want to stay in Texas is dumb.

Also, you sound like a kid, so take a year off. "Oh gee golly everyone wants me to go to UT." This decision is going to impact the rest of YOUR life in a very large way. I don't give a gently caress if Aunt Betty bought you a Longhorns belt buckle, that's no reason to go to UT over Michigan.