Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

No that’s another goon in this thread. I just post their stuff semi regularly because they are extremely my poo poo.

It is me, I am the Ship to Shore goon. Thanks for always posting our stuff in here, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Toe Rag posted:

I see! That seems somehow even worse than collecting shoes.

Here I bought some records, AMA

good poo poo mate

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Has anyone ever bought any of the Record Store Day poo poo from the Bullmoose Records website when they post that stuff the day after?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone ever bought any of the Record Store Day poo poo from the Bullmoose Records website when they post that stuff the day after?

You have to be quick but even if you can get something in your cart there’s a good chance their website buckles under all the traffic, anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

interpunct posted:

You have to be quick but even if you can get something in your cart there’s a good chance their website buckles under all the traffic, anyway.

This is what I was wondering.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Lungs posted:

Some poorly displayed and photographed recent purchases.

Unsane - Total Destruction
Huerco S - For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
Paul Newman - Frames Per Second
Noxagt - Brutage
Paul Newman - Machine is not Broken
DAF - Die Kleinen Und Die Bösen
Swans - Young God EP
DAF - Gold Und Liebe
Paul Newman - Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven
Blank Dogs - Under and Under
Pegboy - Three Card Monte
Lean Year - Lean Year
Pendant - Make Me Know You Sweet
Golden Oriole - Golden Oriole
Future Virgins - Doomsday Raga
Gore - Mean Man's Dream
Tragic Mulatto - Chartreuse Toulouse
Future Virgins - Dirty Smiles 7" Comp
Enablers - Blown Realms and Stalled Explosions
Killdozer - Burl
Rudimentary Peni - Death Church
Red Dons - Fake Meets Failure
Barn Owl - Lost In The Glare
Altered Hours - On My Tongue
Altered Hours - In Heat Not Sorry
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
Savage Republic - Tragic Figures
Cheer Accident - Introducing Lemon
Total Abuse - Prison Sweat
Perspex Flesh - Ona
Snob - Snob
Teengenerate - I Don't Mind
Men's Recovery Project - Emergency Record
His Hero is Gone - Fool's Gold
New Bomb Turks - Bottle Island

good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

good day at the record store

both original pressings and bought under sticker price. Getting to know your local record shop dudes pays off.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://pitchfork.com/news/high-definition-vinyl-is-happening-possibly-as-early-as-next-year/

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I read this as basically "time to re-release everything ever and get everyone to buy MORE EDITIONS"

So basically the music industry's wet dream to go along with the whole bizarre out of left field rise of vinyl again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

*tucker carlson face*

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
HD vinyl really rubs me the wrong way, but I can’t put my finger on exactly why.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hope someone loses a lot of money on this.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Meh. With good quality existing vinyl I'm guessing the bottleneck would first be my sound setup and then the limits of human hearing. Kind of like pono. It doesn't matter if the sound is better if you literally can't tell the difference.

Not that I'll go out of my way to avoid it, I just won't buy poo poo again just to have it on HD vinyl.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

finally, i can listen to dadrock in even higher fidelity

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Since it's compatible with current turntables, I don't think it will fail. It will be another hype sticker, but given that most albums don't really push the time limits of vinyl.

Maybe those albums that are too long for a single disc but aren't doubles, like Tragic Kingdom will be where you see the most improvements.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nobody was asking for this

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Crosleys are going to sound better than ever

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
so are we going to get audiophile supersoldier s who can tell the difference between regular records, hd records, 320 kbps rips of them, and FLAC rips of them and will incessantly post about it too?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is sort of a meta-vinyl questions. I'm DIY-ing some storage similar to the LPbin and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a grippy rubberized/vinyl shelf liner. The LPbin has "GrooveMat" which is very similar to what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping to just buy a sheet of the material and cut it to size: https://www.lpbin.com/groovematlpbin.html

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

so are we going to get audiophile supersoldier s who can tell the difference between regular records, hd records, 320 kbps rips of them, and FLAC rips of them and will incessantly post about it too?

The HD records are going to sound so good with my platinum coated connections on my headphones.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DeNofa posted:

This is sort of a meta-vinyl questions. I'm DIY-ing some storage similar to the LPbin and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a grippy rubberized/vinyl shelf liner. The LPbin has "GrooveMat" which is very similar to what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping to just buy a sheet of the material and cut it to size: https://www.lpbin.com/groovematlpbin.html

They make kitchen shelf liners that should do what you want. Check Target or Walmart.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Papa John Misty posted:

They make kitchen shelf liners that should do what you want. Check Target or Walmart.

That's the first thing that came to mind but I'm worried it might be too flimsy? Toolbox liner would be a little better, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for something more rugged.

DeNofa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 16, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Since it's compatible with current turntables, I don't think it will fail. It will be another hype sticker, but given that most albums don't really push the time limits of vinyl.

Maybe those albums that are too long for a single disc but aren't doubles, like Tragic Kingdom will be where you see the most improvements.

I know that a lot of LPs are already digitally mastered, but the "digital" is still a dirty word for a lot of record collectors. So there's that. I do think that what will really be the make or break thing here is if they're more expensive because the more casual consumer will be turned off there.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DeNofa posted:

Dynamat might be worth a shot. I'm not sure what the generic equivalent might be to save a few bucks but I'm sure it's out there.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mike_V posted:

I welcome the audiophile posting renaissance

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I don't like records pressed with stampers etched at (insert facility) as much, you can tell they don't have good filters on the power line going into the laser and there is a slight jitter.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hopefully this means that now there can be a Disco Volante repress that isn't hot garbage.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I know that a lot of LPs are already digitally mastered, but the "digital" is still a dirty word for a lot of record collectors. So there's that. I do think that what will really be the make or break thing here is if they're more expensive because the more casual consumer will be turned off there.

Yes, like on the Hoffman forums where people say that some records have a "digital sound." I don't know what that means.

In the early 80s, a lot of digital recordings had a very specific sound, but one they learned that you don't need to make treble heavy records and can have a bit of bass, digital recordings are just as good as an analog recording.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes, like on the Hoffman forums where people say that some records have a "digital sound." I don't know what that means.

In the early 80s, a lot of digital recordings had a very specific sound, but one they learned that you don't need to make treble heavy records and can have a bit of bass, digital recordings are just as good as an analog recording.

The whole thing just sounds like the answer to a question no one was asking.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Eh, I'm not excited about it but I'm not opposed to it either. It sounds like they're just doing better mastering, and if it works, then why worry? It's not like you'll need a new record player.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Eh, I'm not excited about it but I'm not opposed to it either. It sounds like they're just doing better mastering, and if it works, then why worry? It's not like you'll need a new record player.

Well like I was saying before, the whole thing is going to come down to pricing. I don't know anything about any of it but all that high tech bullshit with 3D mapping of sound and laser etched stampers sounds like an expensive process but I could be wrong. If I'm not wrong and these LPs are like 40+ bucks a piece for one disc the whole thing is dead in the water.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Well like I was saying before, the whole thing is going to come down to pricing. I don't know anything about any of it but all that high tech bullshit with 3D mapping of sound and laser etched stampers sounds like an expensive process but I could be wrong. If I'm not wrong and these LPs are like 40+ bucks a piece for one disc the whole thing is dead in the water.

MFSL records are $34.99. Double LPs are 50. These new ones will sell.

Edit: Meaning $40 or $50 is probably a good price point if the people who currently buy stuff like MFSL editions are sufficiently convinced that these new HQ pressings are good enough to start replacing their catalog.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 17, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Are MFSL records really that much better? The only one I have is the only copy of that particular record I've heard that wasn't 25 years old and played to death, so there's not much point in trying to compare that way.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Moe_Rahn posted:

Hopefully this means that now there can be a Disco Volante repress that isn't hot garbage.

This will never happen. As is tradition...

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I feel like it might be an easy manufacturing process once they get it figured out? Traditional production seem to be kind of a pain (cut master, do all of that coating bullshit to make the plates), this seems like it could be failure automated (digital sounds > LAZER BEEM > press).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

Are MFSL records really that much better? The only one I have is the only copy of that particular record I've heard that wasn't 25 years old and played to death, so there's not much point in trying to compare that way.

The people spending big bucks on them think so, but they probably also spend big bucks on all sorts of questionable stuff.

But I’ve heard that they do sound good, especially when pressed at 45rpm. I have an MFSL cd and I can’t hear any difference at all.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only Mofi record I have is a copy of Surfer Rosa I got on some deep discount a while back and it sounds absolutely excellent. Not sure how it would compare to a non-Mofi copy of Surfer Rosa as I don't have one but the pressing is superb. Wouldn't pay some huge premium for it by any means but I can see why someone would.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

MFSL records are $34.99. Double LPs are 50. These new ones will sell.

Edit: Meaning $40 or $50 is probably a good price point if the people who currently buy stuff like MFSL editions are sufficiently convinced that these new HQ pressings are good enough to start replacing their catalog.

I knew someone would mention MoFi. That company has been around a while and already has some kind of "prestige" attached to the name and I feel like the kind of people that buy those are the same kind of people that scream bloody murder the minute they hear he word "digital". The average consumer isn't buying anything they sell.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, like, I have their Blood on the Tracks because I really wanted a nice copy of Blood on the Tracks and that was the one the shop had. I'm not running around trying to maximize my sonic experience, I just wanna listen to some tunes.

They're the people who, back in the 90s, had the weird super-expensive CDs where the album art was shrunk to the size of a postage stamp on the front cover, right?

(google says yeah)

poo poo is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I knew someone would mention MoFi. That company has been around a while and already has some kind of "prestige" attached to the name and I feel like the kind of people that buy those are the same kind of people that scream bloody murder the minute they hear he word "digital". The average consumer isn't buying anything they sell.

The average consumer doesn’t buy much music, though. Certainly not albums.