Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

J33uk posted:

Okay with the parks being closed I need some help here. You know that animatronic heist? That was loving amateur hour and sloppy. My friends, I'm putting a crew together to steal Space Mountain. Truckula and Elon Tusk are already in.

You're joking but I'm REALLY looking forward to the stupid poo poo people do while all these parks are closed because you know if day to day security can't keep up with them, the skeleton crew they're going to run sure as hell won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Suddenly I'm imaging National Treasure 3: Disney

"I know what we must do.....steal Space Mountain."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Movie starts with "borrowing" Taylor Swift's tour trucks

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You're joking but I'm REALLY looking forward to the stupid poo poo people do while all these parks are closed because you know if day to day security can't keep up with them, the skeleton crew they're going to run sure as hell won't.

Could they steal something that would hurt a ride's structural integrity? I know that they would because people are greedy but I think that people would notice something significant missing from rides.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Universal isn't even running a skeleton crew. They've decided that now it's high time to clean up the park and make sure everything is perfect when they reopen, so just about everyone is being called back in!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chitoryu12 posted:

Universal isn't even running a skeleton crew. They've decided that now it's high time to clean up the park and make sure everything is perfect when they reopen, so just about everyone is being called back in!

I'm sure the bigwigs figure if they're paying folks anyway, might as well have them come in and work.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney just shut down all construction

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I was just wondering if they might actually manage to get extra work done during this time but that answers that question

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Well, sounds like Remy is coming in December now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

chitoryu12 posted:

Universal backed off that, actually. Originally all team members were to show up, but social media pushback got them to change their minds (plus now the government recommending gatherings be smaller and smaller, a full work force would be stupid)

Was still pretty greedy of them to attempt though.

Anya posted:

Well, sounds like Remy is coming in December now.

Eh, October maybe. The ride is basically finished inside, all that needs to be finished is the outside stuff, so once we get back, that stuff will go full speed ahead.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal is eerily quiet (I live right behind it). Normally you can hear Hagrids and other random park noise in the background.... nothing. Although the crane for the Jurassic Park coaster construction is still moving around, so it seems they are doing some work there. (Since the main idea was to avoid massive crowds, this seems ok)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Well that’s good news then. I am curious on what the impact on Epcot and TRON will be in the long run.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wife's boss at The Contemporary asked if anyone had been in a large gathering in the past week and sent them home, then proceeded to invite them all to an employee buffet on Friday (600 people estimated) :v:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Bottom Liner posted:

Wife's boss at The Contemporary asked if anyone had been in a large gathering in the past week and sent them home, then proceeded to invite them all to an employee buffet on Friday (600 people estimated) :v:

In order to send them all home, duh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A friend of a friend of a friend on Facebook is rumoring that Shanghai Disney will reopen in a week or two. I trust the chain up until the actual person who's passing on this info (since they're unnamed), but it wouldn't be completely surprising since China has been steadily ending restrictions on travel and business as their number of coronavirus cases has dropped drastically.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

chitoryu12 posted:

A friend of a friend of a friend on Facebook is rumoring that Shanghai Disney will reopen in a week or two. I trust the chain up until the actual person who's passing on this info (since they're unnamed), but it wouldn't be completely surprising since China has been steadily ending restrictions on travel and business as their number of coronavirus cases has dropped drastically.

For once they'll be saying "Thanks Florida/California!" instead of the other way around.

But seriously, I am glad that they have the chance of opening. We need some good news in all this nonsense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Probably a weird question, but is it correct that you can't use fast passes now either?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Looks like much of the food Disneyland Resort isn't going to serve in the next few weeks is going to a good cause. Mega-kudos to Disneyland Resort for doing this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I've heard late April early May at worst with current projections. Same with Hong Kong. If it's earlier, they're pushing because they need income real, real bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Movie releases delayed, current projects on hold, all parks closed. Yeah, not a good time for the mouse right now. Not a good time for a lot of folks. Our service industry town is having a rough day, restaurant and bar employees getting let go every day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

Movie releases delayed, current projects on hold, all parks closed. Yeah, not a good time for the mouse right now. Not a good time for a lot of folks. Our service industry town is having a rough day, restaurant and bar employees getting let go every day.

As a former service industry employee in my youth, this is the poo poo that is hitting me the hardest. I'm going to be fine with my cushy WFH good paying tech job. 15-20 years ago me though would be homeless on Apr 1st when I couldn't make the rent from my waiter job though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's hard to watch, especially since I want to help people but can't help due to our own financial strain.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

It's hard to watch, especially since I want to help people but can't help due to our own financial strain.

post cheerful videos. talk to them. be there for them. encourage online interaction like free multiplayer games and stuff.

the government says money is coming. maybe it will.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disney probably closed a week too late.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/03/theme-park-visitor-dies-coronavirus-ec1/

Those closing night Main Street photos are a real bad look. He was 34.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That story is a bit sensationalized because it doesn't mention that the guy had a history of testicular cancer, asthma, and bronchitis.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of people have a history of asthma and chronic bronchitis, myself included. It has me more than a little scared and being more cautious. Bigger point being that the parks are absolutely going to be a superspreading point since they closed late and we were way behind on testing and precautions.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

A lot of people have a history of asthma and chronic bronchitis, myself included. It has me more than a little scared and being more cautious. Bigger point being that the parks are absolutely going to be a superspreading point since they closed late and we were way behind on testing and precautions.

Oh, absolutely. My wife also has a history of asthma and bronchitis. But the tweet at the bottom stating that "young people die from corona too" should come with a big asterisk saying "highly at-risk" young people can die.

I'm absolutely practicing social isolation and I'm all for taking precautions and flattening the curve, but making otherwise healthy young people think they're also highly at risk of death isn't a good thing either.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Like all things you need to speak to your kids based on their circumstance. My niece has a chest cavity that can make breathing difficult, she should receive different information to Johnny Junior Quarterback at the peak of 10 year old physical health.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

Like all things you need to speak to your kids based on their circumstance. My niece has a chest cavity that can make breathing difficult, she should receive different information to Johnny Junior Quarterback at the peak of 10 year old physical health.

"If you go out you may get sick, that is why we are staying home" is a baseline for everybody.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The plus side of all of this: anyone who has been wishing the old free dining deals would return might be in luck once all of this is over.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My wife is starting a new job next week.

It's an awful time to start a new job, but now that we're gonna have money again we're already talking about booking our next trip, ideally before our APs expire in December. Let's get some fuckin APOCALYPSE DEALS HELL YEAH

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think Disney of all tourist destinations will pick back up quickly when they reopen. They haven't been in the news for massive virus spread (although it almost certainly happened at both US parks), so people will see them as "safe".

I'm more worried about cruise lines, including Disney's. Which sucks, because I like cruises (but if I'm paying Disney cruise prices, I'd rather do a specialized charter like JoCo Cruise).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got off the last trip of the Wonder before this blew up and so far wife and I are without symptoms and at two weeks out now. So that's safe.

New Orleans is the scarier tourist destination to Disney right now. I'd hate to be in charge of marketing Mardi Gras for next year after this and the two parade goer deaths this year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I think Disney of all tourist destinations will pick back up quickly when they reopen. They haven't been in the news for massive virus spread (although it almost certainly happened at both US parks), so people will see them as "safe".

I'm more worried about cruise lines, including Disney's. Which sucks, because I like cruises (but if I'm paying Disney cruise prices, I'd rather do a specialized charter like JoCo Cruise).

You’re ignoring the massive economic crisis we’re already in in assuming any tourism or luxury industry is going to bounce back quickly after the virus threat passes. We’re talking global depression and 20% unemployment in this country if we’re lucky.

Disney will survive, but a lot of cast members will lose their jobs and demand is going to tank for a while. I would bet on crazy package deals and even some pricing reductions on the back end of this.

If we get very lucky with the virus it won’t directly affect the majority of Americans (you or someone you know being very I’ll or dying), but the economic damage will be massive in a way that makes 2008 look like a blip.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 21, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Buddy of mine is an actuary that manages pensions. Basically said this is great depression levels of bad. So yeah, if you have a job right now, feel blessed but also do your best at it and help anyone around you that might not be as fortunate.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bottom Liner posted:

You’re ignoring the massive economic crisis we’re already in in assuming any tourism or luxury industry is going to bounce back quickly after the virus threat passes. We’re talking global depression and 20% unemployment in this country if we’re lucky.
I'm not saying it'll go back to level 8-10 crowds every day -- maybe not for years -- but as people start to feel safe and regain some disposable income, Disney will be one of the first to get back to business as usual. Or as much as possible.

I hate it for the cast members though. We're probably looking at a multi-month closure now, since we moved too late to limit the spread. There's no way the mouse is going to keep all those people employed if it's not pulling in theme park cash.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's no way Disney reopens the domestic parks for April 1st is there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nope

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

There's no way Disney reopens the domestic parks for April 1st is there.

If they do, we're looking at an infection rate jump that is astronomical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
From the kinsa temperature map, which is supposed to be a leading indicator for new covid infections:

FL is the worst spot in the nation