Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
This was not my experience. Last time I summoned him he ended up poisoned before we even got into the boss room and came in with about 3/4 health. Afterward, even with me holding her still, he managed to hit her about 4 times before finally eating poo poo to the poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Bob NewSCART posted:

What the hell am I even supposed to do to this chariot rear end in a top hat? He literally just flattened me in one hit 10 seconds after the fight started and now I have to go back and fight those stupid mouth of sauron looking fuckers

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There are alcoves you can hide in along the circuit. Look for an alternate way of beating him that doesn't involve letting him ram your face.

I'm a little late and a little shameless, but this thread moves fast as hell. There are much funner ways of taking down the Chariot.

And instead of thinking Ice King, I immediately think of Spy vs Spy. Now that's a thing I want to do, thanks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwack posted:

This was not my experience. Last time I summoned him he ended up poisoned before we even got into the boss room and came in with about 3/4 health. Afterward, even with me holding her still, he managed to hit her about 4 times before finally eating poo poo to the poison.

You honestly might be better off just soloing her and intelligently using Estus because she has less health that way and she dies really, really fast.

Alternatively just pop a Radiant Lifegem the moment poison takes effect, renew as needed. :effort:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah this is a fine point. Jester Thomas will explode her skull pretty fast.

Jester Thomas is this game's Iron Tarkus.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

You honestly might be better off just soloing her and intelligently using Estus because she has less health that way and she dies really, really fast.

She did when I played through as a caster, but as a melee character she seems to be much more resilient. Doing a run without using Pyromancy/Sorcery/Miracles has been wildly different and I'm not really diggin the need to respec for one broken boss.

edit: afaik I've got no means of acquiring radiant gems. Melentia doesnt sell any and has no dialog left.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Schwack posted:

She did when I played through as a caster, but as a melee character she seems to be much more resilient. Doing a run without using Pyromancy/Sorcery/Miracles has been wildly different and I'm not really diggin the need to respec for one broken boss.

It's really not a broken boss. Her health bar is pathetic precisely because of the possibility of fighting her this way.

What kind of weapon are you using, lets see if we can identify the problem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I not only killed a phantom in the grave of saints I broke all his armor too. :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Schwack posted:

edit: afaik I've got no means of acquiring radiant gems. Melentia doesnt sell any and has no dialog left.

You've used ALL your Radiant Gems? All your Old Radiants? God drat son. Use a normal then, it should at least suffice for blunting the damage and limiting the urgency of Estus.

Now, what weapon and what upgrade level are we looking at here?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm a little late and a little shameless, but this thread moves fast as hell. There are much funner ways of taking down the Chariot.

This is how I ended up fighting him the first few times because I kept getting trapped in those alcoves with no stamina and all the skeles in the world on my rear end.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

You've used ALL your Radiant Gems? All your Old Radiants? God drat son. Use a normal then, it should at least suffice for blunting the damage and limiting the urgency of Estus.

Now, what weapon and what upgrade level are we looking at here?

I'm playing through the game twice with a friend on co-op. They go much more quickly that way. I'm going to try this cheese strategy with dual maces that apparently stun locks her. Normally I've been using a mace or the fire longsword in 2h mode.

edit: lmao I'm not sure where this wiki stuff comes from but uhh she definitely doesn't stun lock.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking about using a soul vessel to make my guy a hexer. What are the good hexes? How much int/faith should I go for?

For int builds the throne watcher sword is significantly better than MLGS. At 64 int for me the MLGS only does 292 magic damage, maybe if I enchanted it I could get a little more. The throne watcher sword does 261 magic, and 215 physical, it's moveset is identical to claymore from DS1 except the two handed attacks are faster, every move requires way less stamina, and it can buff itself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You can definitely stunlock Mytha with dual maces. Use your power stanced heavy attack a second or so before she comes out of her staggered frames. Keep doing this until she dies.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Vermain posted:

You can definitely stunlock Mytha with dual maces. Use your power stanced heavy attack a second or so before she comes out of her staggered frames. Keep doing this until she dies.

Have you done this recently? She just seems to ignore the attack completely as she's recovering from the first hit.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

Schwack posted:

Have you done this recently? She just seems to ignore the attack completely as she's recovering from the first hit.

Are you using the Stone Ring?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schwack posted:

Yes. The timing is a bit tricky: you need to hit the entire heavy attack just as she comes out of her stagger frames (where she's otherwise immune to poise breaking). Watch Lobos Jr.'s speedrun kill of her to get an idea of the timing required.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dual mace stunlock shenanigans seems like a lot of effort for an easy fight. Just take your time, make your hits, exploit her long rear end recovery time.

Dual maces is just liable to run you out of stamina at an important time because you're unfamiliar with the style.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Vermain posted:

Yes. The timing is a bit tricky: you need to hit the entire heavy attack just as she comes out of her stagger frames (where she's otherwise immune to poise breaking). Watch Lobos Jr.'s speedrun kill of her to get an idea of the timing required.

Thank you very much for this. Worked like a charm.

Dual mace stunlock shenanigans seems like a lot of effort for an easy fight. Just take your time, make your hits, exploit her long rear end recovery time.

Dual maces is just liable to run you out of stamina at an important time because you're unfamiliar with the style.

For the normal fight, I think you're right on, but the pressure the poison puts on you is pretty ridiculous. It burns through an Estus flask in no time flat and lifegems are as much as worthless. Near as I could tell, for my character, there really was no taking my time simply because I'd end up totally tapped on valid healing items before she went down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the only enemies in the doors of pharros that won't attack me as a ratbro the rats themselves (minus the boss)? Wouldn't I just kill everyone then waiting for an invader (or running into them during the fight)?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

For int builds the throne watcher sword is significantly better than MLGS. At 64 int for me the MLGS only does 292 magic damage, maybe if I enchanted it I could get a little more. The throne watcher sword does 261 magic, and 215 physical
What? Are you comparing a +5 Watcher Sword to an upgraded MLGS? MLGS+5 with literally no scaling would have 304 magic damage.

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the only enemies in the doors of pharros that won't attack me as a ratbro the rats themselves (minus the boss)? Wouldn't I just kill everyone then waiting for an invader (or running into them during the fight)?

Everything between the first bonfire and the boss bonfire are your friends.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kild posted:

What? Are you comparing a +5 Watcher Sword to an upgraded MLGS? MLGS+5 with literally no scaling would have 304 magic damage.

I think he must be looking at the weapon stats in the inventory and not equipped since you don't get the "+ so-and-so" damage bonus from scaling on that screen.

edit: Just to show what I mean,

equipment screen:

inventory screen:

double edit: Actually after taking a look at the values on the wiki for each weapon I have no idea how he could come up with those numbers, at all.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kild posted:

Unless of course someone uses a Giant's Seed.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok,

So i've beaten old iron king, i've cleared to freja and almost killed her a few times before I didn't have anyone to summon help anymore (don't know why it will just stop getting help summons?)
I haven't done the gutter yet.. Should i do the grave/pit/gutter before freja poo poo? I hate fighting my way to that slut of a spider.

Edit: Fashion souls (nightmare style)

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 20, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kild posted:

Ah ok. The guys at Gavlan still weren't so it confused me for a bit.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Unless of course someone uses a Giant's Seed.

Does that work in the ratbro areas? I thought it was for turning enemies against phantoms as a host, not the other way around.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok,

So i've beaten old iron king, i've cleared to freja and almost killed her a few times before I didn't have anyone to summon help anymore (don't know why it will just stop getting help summons?)
I haven't done the gutter yet.. Should i do the grave/pit/gutter before freja poo poo? I hate fighting my way to that slut of a spider.

Freja is actually pretty easy to run to once all the doors are open.
It doesn't matter if you do her or the other stuff first.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Freja is actually pretty easy to run to once all the doors are open.
It doesn't matter if you do her or the other stuff first.

Yeah, don't fight poo poo on your way to Freja, just run like hell. The diciest part is probably the backcrab zombie in front of the ladder before the web room--you might have to lure him away from the ladder real quick-- but nothing will follow you up the ladder itself so that's nice.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Opposing Farce posted:

Does that work in the ratbro areas? I thought it was for turning enemies against phantoms as a host, not the other way around.

There was a goon that posted that it worked in Pharros and the Grave of Saints a while back, IIRC

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, don't fight poo poo on your way to Freja, just run like hell.

This works for almost every boss. Velstadt is a bit tricky but still doable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For all this effort I spent setting these places up I'm seeing about as many hits as the belltowers at 1.2 mil SM.

e: Oh. Daggers can 360 degree backstab with the slightest amount of lag. Good.

e: How can you dodge soul mass online? It seems like if it fires it hits, no matter what. It didn't kill me but it's annoying.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 20, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When it comes to fashion souls, there is only Faraam Armor. None can come close to the majesty of Faraam armor, not even Lllewynn.

I'll fight you on this.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Andrast posted:

This works for almost every boss. Velstadt is a bit tricky but still doable.

It's really hard to do the Velstadt run reliably thanks to those two guys at the door, though, so you may well be better off just doing that one the slow way. You're also better off clearing a path if you're pulling in summons, especially NPCs.

Most boss runs aren't too bad even if you're fighting everything, but the Freja run is incredibly long and absolutely stuffed with dudes to fight. Even if you don't do other runs the fast way do that one.

e: how the gently caress was that guys greatsword faster than my rapier

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I hate people who do the whole ~honor~ thing in the belltowers. Don't just stand there and watch! Jump in and have fun! If you want bowing and 1-on-1 fights go play with the dragonbros in iron keep. At least you get a dragon scale.

Also I love it when I invade someone in the towers and they have a white phantom helping out. More people need to play dirty and hit hard in the towers. My favorite was a phantom hiding on the roof who backstabbed me. Was proud of those guys. Ain't no honor in the towers.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

It's really hard to do the Velstadt run reliably thanks to those two guys at the door, though, so you may well be better off just doing that one the slow way.
Just roll past em, it's super easy. You might get hit once, but you can heal at the door while Lunkhead Vinland trundles towards you.

Oh, and of course make sure you kill the bellboy beneath the stairs before you do it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Just roll past em, it's super easy. You might get hit once, but you can heal at the door while Lunkhead Vinland trundles towards you.

You must have had better luck than me because at least half the time rolling past them got me smacked and stunlocked to death trying to get in the fog door.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Opposing Farce posted:

You must have had better luck than me because at least half the time rolling past them got me smacked and stunlocked to death trying to get in the fog door.

A running jump usually does it.

e: The ratbros are fun but it's boring as poo poo waiting here alt-tabbed out for a bit every 15-20 minutes.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Last time I tried to roll past the guards by Velstadt's boss door, they followed up with another swing before my character began to cross the fog and stunlocked me out of it

Edit: Welp :v:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

The two enemies at the fog door are programmed not to leave the stairs and follow so you need to bait their attack and run past. If you watch a speedrun you can see it done.

Personally I never do it as it requires a poo poo-tonne of luck and skill tbh. I'm stuck killing them all if I have to restart.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The worst part of the Freja run is easily the first room you have to enter because it literally seems like they positioned that loving spider and the table to make rolling past everything the most annoying poo poo possible.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No, the best way to get to the fog door is run up the side of the stairs, roll to the right so you can have the Syan Knight do either, one swing at you and miss or the second which is what you want is his three multi stab, he actually moves a little every stab and the third stab will make him fall down to the floor. Once that happens make a huge circle because pretty sure that's at least six Syan's on your rear end.

Then ROLL through the 1st Syan and boom enter fog door. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Just got backstabbed by somebody I was looking straight at for the first time. That pretty well sucks.