Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just wasted 1M coins trying to do one of the Alt. Dungeons during lunch since I had a full stamina bar. Turns out poo poo in those hit real hard and I can't just snooze my way through them with Sonia.

Snooze with Athena instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

I did a little rank grinding on an alt account with Bastet and it was really awful. You have to pay way too much attention when doing trivial content vs the quick mindless matching of any Mono-Color or Type team/lazy combo gods like Isis and DQXQ.

If I'd started with Bastet I'd probably have quit playing after a month. She's a decently powerful leader but goddamn is she unfun to play.

You don't like Bastet? I think she's pretty fun to play. Granted, she's not a super-fast grinding leader like Athena or Ronia, but 4 combos isn't all that difficult to pull off.

FrickenMoron posted:

Snooze with Athena instead!

Yeah, Athena got me through most of the Alt Dungeons without too much trouble. (For the No Dupe dungeons, I went with Athena/Kushi or Athena/Bastet.)

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, Athena got me through most of the Alt Dungeons without too much trouble. (For the No Dupe dungeons, I went with Athena/Kushi or Athena/Bastet.)

Snooze with Athena/God Valk instead for No Dupe dungeons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

opaopa13 posted:

Did you try hitting them first?

To be more specific, I wasn't paying attention to when the 2-turn dublits showed up and those got me every single time.

klez
Oct 23, 2010

BGrifter posted:

I did a little rank grinding on an alt account with Bastet and it was really awful. You have to pay way too much attention when doing trivial content vs the quick mindless matching of any Mono-Color or Type team/lazy combo gods like Isis and DQXQ.

If I'd started with Bastet I'd probably have quit playing after a month. She's a decently powerful leader but goddamn is she unfun to play.

I'd say they're different play styles and each has it ups and downs. For grinding mono-color or type leader like Athena and Ronia are indeed most mindless and easy to use. Color combo gods like Isis and match combo gods like Bastet plays differently and I can't really say one is better than the other. At the end of the day you need to make more matches in high tier content anyways even when using Athena so Bastet just trains you to do that. I know a lot of people start with Horus and can't get into Bastet but since I started with Bastet color-combo gods like Isis and DQXQ is just weird to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DaveWoo posted:

You don't like Bastet? I think she's pretty fun to play. Granted, she's not a super-fast grinding leader like Athena or Ronia, but 4 combos isn't all that difficult to pull off.

It's certainly not difficult, just requires a little more attention than Ronia/Athena/Shiva/Parvati/Isis/DQXQ/Valk/LMeta/Satan/Lu Bu or any of a dozen other leaders. When doing that awful rank grind for your first 150 stamina over again. Bastet makes the process a whole lot more tedious.

She's a solid leader, I just found having to pay that much attention while running trivial stuff like Lava Tubes a huge put off. She strikes me as more of a good second REM pull where you can use her for Decendeds but don't have to do your daily grinding with her.

Edit: That's certainly possible, all of my combo God usage tends to be with Isis or Kirin/now LKali. Never liked using Robin or Anubis.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

klez posted:

I'd say they're different play styles and each has it ups and downs. For grinding mono-color or type leader like Athena and Ronia are indeed most mindless and easy to use. Color combo gods like Isis and match combo gods like Bastet plays differently and I can't really say one is better than the other. At the end of the day you need to make more matches in high tier content anyways even when using Athena so Bastet just trains you to do that. I know a lot of people start with Horus and can't get into Bastet but since I started with Bastet color-combo gods like Isis and DQXQ is just weird to me.

If you get enough combos, the colors take care of themselves :v:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

opaopa13 posted:

Resist Dragons: Nah. I still like the Resist Dragons, but the era where one of each was indispensable is over. With Isis AND Bastet in your pocket, you won't have to turtle through early dungeons using the Resist Dragons as leaders, and their active skills aren't good enough to make them worthwhile subs. I'd keep one of each as they tumble out of the PAL machine just because, but even that much is questionable.

ADK: You will absolutely, unquestionable want to get an ADK and build him up as a sub someday, but don't go nuts trying to farm him. Wait for Dragon Guardian to come back around (or buy it from the current Coin Dungeon rotation) to grab one. As a leader, definitely not. There was a time when 2.5 ATK to a Type was hot stuff, but then, well, Isis and Bastet happened.

As for Isis vs. Bastet: Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I think Bastet can go farther than Isis. She's harder to use (hitting 3 kinds of orbs with Isis's B/L form is trivial, whereas hitting a 5-combo for G/D Bastet definitely isn't), but she has the major advantage of being able to absolutely any set of subs, which usually means "stack Wood, go nuts". You could throw Ancient Dragon Knight Zeal and Cu Chulainn on her team and already have two farmable subs who make wood orbs and have a prong awakening. As a bonus, Bastet can definitely handle the hardest Wednesday, Thursday and Friday dungeons, although she's definitely not the best choice for any of them.

That said, Isis being a bind-immune monster with a 8-turn bind-clearing active (which you can reduce to 3-turn) is nuts. You absolutely won't regret sinking time and exp into either of them.

If you're confident in your ability to use Bastet, start with her, and come back for Isis when you start hitting nasty bind-happy dungeons. If you're not so sure, start with Isis and come back to Bastet when hitting 5-combo only takes a little planning.

Thanks,

About how difficult is the Dragon Guardian coin dungeon. Could my Isis team take on Expert or Master level? Dont want to waste 500K coins if I have no shot.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I have a fully evoed G/L Bastet, lvl 83, and I've never actually used her as a leader-but she's almost always in team slot 1 because of how many PAL points I seem to get when she's up.

Isis is fantastic, but since you only have to match a minimum of three/four different colours for good damage you tend to get lazy in making higher combos.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

jerkstore77 posted:

Thanks,

About how difficult is the Dragon Guardian coin dungeon. Could my Isis team take on Expert or Master level? Dont want to waste 500K coins if I have no shot.

Dragon Guardian isn't too bad - the only thing you really need to worry about are the Green Divine Masks.

Oh, and in other news, the Armored Knight Carnival has been officially announced - 3x rates for the Armored Knights, Wizards (including Chesters), and, er, the Dragon Swordsmen, starting tomorrow.

Also, the drop rates for the healer girls in the REM are being permanently reduced, which I'm sure you're all heartbroken over.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Isis is fantastic, but since you only have to match a minimum of three/four different colours for good damage you tend to get lazy in making higher combos.

I've never really had trouble making the switch when necessary, but I guess some people do? If I need to play Isis like she's Ra I can do that. If I'm just lazy mode rank grinding I can do that.

I rarely want to pay as much attention to say farming KotG with Ronia as I do Decendeds with Kirin. For trivial content I want the easiest most mindless watch-TV-while-doing-it teams possible.

jbitt
Dec 22, 2009

sencerly,
https://www.padherder.com/user/jbitt/monsters/#31,0,31,2047,268435455,0,,0,0,0,eq,0,0,0,0;default,0

Feel free to add me! Just looking at what my options are. I've hit a wall at Hyperion Lava Flow and I need to decide what my team should be. Currently I use GZL, genbu and two Armor Ogres.

klez
Oct 23, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you get enough combos, the colors take care of themselves :v:

"Stricter" color combo gods (chinese, Ra, etc) will need to start matching and saving orbs so that you have a better chance of activation next board. With something like Bastet, I just need to make one on color match, then just match as I go and make the most out of boards without thinking (at least to me), I don't even need to worry about blockers or poison orbs because they count as combos. I'm learning to play Hathor right now and a lot of the times I still need to make sure I have enough color matches, and need make sure I don't break them when I see another match as I'm swiping the screen.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

jerkstore77 posted:

Thanks,

You know your average damage output better than me, but I _think_ you can handle Expert, which drops/stamina-wise is just about as good as Master. The big challenge will be the boss, three Dragon Knights with 136k HP each. You'll want to be able to definitely take down one, if not two, before their first attack. Stalling will be tricky, but if you can have Menace ready to go against them, I think it would be a sure thing. I'd go into Endless Corridors and try to get a feel for how much damage you can reliable put out, and how hard stalling would be against the Earth Knights of Expert.

Looking at your teams, I see your Isis team is paired up with a friend's B/B Isis. See if you can't find B/L Isis friends instead, as her LS is purely superior, letting you match Hearts as well. She's also got 500 more HP, which might be what you need to get you over the Divine Mask 9999 threshold, allowing you to use them as easy stalling waves.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I want to beat satan. Can I do that with chibi kirin? My current team is Kirin/Echidna/Non-ult Parvati/Chrono Turtle/Yomi. Chrono turtle is only because I don't have the cost to fit in Blodin, and Yomi is because I don't know what else to put there.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BGrifter posted:

I've never really had trouble making the switch when necessary, but I guess some people do? If I need to play Isis like she's Ra I can do that. If I'm just lazy mode rank grinding I can do that.

I rarely want to pay as much attention to say farming KotG with Ronia as I do Decendeds with Kirin. For trivial content I want the easiest most mindless watch-TV-while-doing-it teams possible.

I did at first-after spending forever using B/B Isis with a B/L Isis friend and not having to care about what orbs were matched, my beginning attempts at a Kirin team were pretty awful. But then I'm not that great at high combos anyway, 5 or maybe 6 is usual. Maybe I should start using Ra? :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
More complicated combo gods like Ra/Kirin/L Kali/etc definitely take some practice. I just can't wrap my head around making all the trivial grinding a chore to force yourself to practice it. If I really want to practice my Kirin skills I'll do so in Endless when I have spare time. If I want to burn off the rest of my stamina in KotG it's something mindless like Ronia all the way.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BGrifter posted:

More complicated combo gods like Ra/Kirin/L Kali/etc definitely take some practice. I just can't wrap my head around making all the trivial grinding a chore to force yourself to practice it. If I really want to practice my Kirin skills I'll do so in Endless when I have spare time. If I want to burn off the rest of my stamina in KotG it's something mindless like Ronia all the way.

My solution to this was just to take Kirin into all the late game descendeds and putting the Evoker against my head. Combo or die

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Dragon Guardian isn't too bad - the only thing you really need to worry about are the Green Divine Masks.

Oh, and in other news, the Armored Knight Carnival has been officially announced - 3x rates for the Armored Knights, Wizards (including Chesters), and, er, the Dragon Swordsmen, starting tomorrow.

Also, the drop rates for the healer girls in the REM are being permanently reduced, which I'm sure you're all heartbroken over.

So mean of them to have this at a time where it doesn't overlap with a GF (probably, it ends on the 29th)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

jbitt posted:

https://www.padherder.com/user/jbitt/monsters/#31,0,31,2047,268435455,0,,0,0,0,eq,0,0,0,0;default,0

Feel free to add me! Just looking at what my options are. I've hit a wall at Hyperion Lava Flow and I need to decide what my team should be. Currently I use GZL, genbu and two Armor Ogres.

I would start leveling Ares and put whatever other red stuff in that you can fit on the team. Red dungeons resist your green team, a red team would at least be neutral to it. Ares has a pretty easy to get Ult Evo. Ares is also an Attacker so he could go on an eventual Attacker Horus team.

Edit: Oh yeah, Ares will play a lot like GZL. Just match a lot of Red orbs instead of Green. He's not going to hit as hard but the trade off is you get more HP and you don't have to keep your HP below 80%.

Eventually you could run R/L Horus/GZL/R/L Leilan/Ares/something you'll eventually pull to cover blue. That would take a bunch of XP, team cost and 3 Angelits though.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 22, 2015

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

opaopa13 posted:

You know your average damage output better than me, but I _think_ you can handle Expert, which drops/stamina-wise is just about as good as Master. The big challenge will be the boss, three Dragon Knights with 136k HP each. You'll want to be able to definitely take down one, if not two, before their first attack. Stalling will be tricky, but if you can have Menace ready to go against them, I think it would be a sure thing. I'd go into Endless Corridors and try to get a feel for how much damage you can reliable put out, and how hard stalling would be against the Earth Knights of Expert.

Looking at your teams, I see your Isis team is paired up with a friend's B/B Isis. See if you can't find B/L Isis friends instead, as her LS is purely superior, letting you match Hearts as well. She's also got 500 more HP, which might be what you need to get you over the Divine Mask 9999 threshold, allowing you to use them as easy stalling waves.

Hooray 1 dropped after 2 tries. I bit the bullet and bought the coin dengeon. First time I teamed up with an Alraune friend for the heals, second time I steamrolled with a Grodin friend.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I finally got my work phone upgraded to a smart phone so now I have a 2nd device (android) to play on. Are there any starter accounts floating around or should I just wait for whatever Goofiest comes up?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are there any starter accounts floating around or should I just wait for whatever Goofiest comes up?

No one doubts you typed that on a phone, for sure.

So how long until the Disney collab?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Depends who the goofiest waifu is.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

jerkstore77 posted:

Depends who the goofiest waifu is.

I'd love to see how they manga the gently caress out of that

Second thought's, maybe I wouldn't

--edit--
Woah, woah, woah, that's a cow, and supposedly Goofy the Dog's girlfriend. What the gently caress Disney

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
New PAD thread --> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

:byewhore:

• Locked thread