Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I just got served a Miller Lite in Texas. The glass says "Cider Y'all".

If you started a cider company in Indiana you could call it "IN Cider" and I can't stop myself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For as long as I can remember (40 years? whatever) this fucko has always looked like this:

Last night I was dusting it and realized two things:

1) While many uniforms have flared trousers, it's probably more soldierly if the trousers aren't flared.
2) The collar is unpainted on both sides. Everything else is painted or lacquered on all visible bits.
3) When the trousers are inverted their shape makes a lot of sense. So why doesn't the shape of the torso pieces make loving any sense?

So I don't know why no-one in our family had figured it out earlier, but I'm pretty sure this is what it's meant to look like:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I like this story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For as long as I can remember (40 years? whatever) this fucko has always looked like this:

Kid n' Play is that you?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

gently caress you, Chintu Chatu! You piece of poo poo!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ironhead posted:

If you started a cider company in Indiana you could call it "IN Cider" and I can't stop myself now.

The IN Ciders do not discuss their secrets without ciders. :dadjoke:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brokencyder.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Ironhead posted:

I like to name mine after my dear friend. Justin. Justin Cider

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
If you make your cider on any of three islands south of Cuba you could instead have

Cayman Cider.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cider your mom

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The next step is Ben Shapiro releasing one called "Dustin"

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A friend of mine just got the lenses in both eyes replaced with artificial ones. They are trifocals, which apparently your brain will simply filter out and accept as a normal and un-noticable thing.
They are made by Zeiss.
He is the man with the Zeiss Ikon eyes.
This is totally amazing and we are now living in the future.
(They do not have tiny silver lettering around the edge detailing their focal length, diameter etc, which I would totally pay extra for.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yaffle posted:

A friend of mine just got the lenses in both eyes replaced with artificial ones. They are trifocals, which apparently your brain will simply filter out and accept as a normal and un-noticable thing.
They are made by Zeiss.
He is the man with the Zeiss Ikon eyes.
This is totally amazing and we are now living in the future.
(They do not have tiny silver lettering around the edge detailing their focal length, diameter etc, which I would totally pay extra for.)

Virtual Light by Willam Gibson has Zeiss Ikon lenses, i did not know they existed irl

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Carthag Tuek posted:

Virtual Light by Willam Gibson has Zeiss Ikon lenses, i did not know they existed irl

They didn't when he wrote the books, but they do now. (Tally Isham, the girl with the Zeiss Ikon eyes, is a minor character in the Sprawl books)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yaffle posted:

They didn't when he wrote the books, but they do now. (Tally Isham, the girl with the Zeiss Ikon eyes, is a minor character in the Sprawl books)

is it really the sprawl? dang i was so sure it was the bridge

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got implant lenses a few years back (in front of my natural ones so they can just be removed again whenever). I have basically perfect vision now, only time you notice them is that you'll sometimes get a slight halo effect when looking directly at light sources. Set me back a few thousand €, so it was very expensive and obviously not within reach for everyone, but it was a great decision in retrospect. On the practical side, not having to deal with cleaning my glasses or putting in/taking out contacts is a big plus, and also being able to actually see things when e.g. showering or going swimming. And aesthetically, even though it shouldn't matter, it did boost my self-confidence a lot. So good on your friend.

As for why I would post this anecdote in this thread, gently caress you it's PYF I don't need a reason for going off on a rambling tangent, uh maybe some people don't realize that that's a thing you can actually do. I wasn't really aware that possibility existed until I started looking into maybe getting laser eye surgery.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What were the reasons for choosing that over the laser surgery?

My astigmatism is so bad I'd still need glasses even with the surgery so I never looked into it. Also I don't wear my glasses anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
as in you just cope with everything blurry or you have contacts?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

What were the reasons for choosing that over the laser surgery?

Probably similar to your case, my eyesight was so bad that there was no way for them to both safely and fully correct for it with laser surgery. They then proposed implant lenses as an alternative. What I considered a plus compared to laser surgery is that they don't take away anything, they just insert the lenses, so it's always possible to remove them later, should the need ever arise (which is highly unlikely because they don't degrade). It's not irreversible.

I've had them for 3-4 years now without any issues, except the previously mentioned faint halos under specific lighting conditions, which is easy to ignore. I would recommend it, it has made my life easier both practically and in terms of self-confidence. The obvious drawback is that it's very expensive, I don't remember the exact amount, but it was at least several thousand euro. It's very unlikely that your insurance, or in my case state-subsidized healthcare, will cover it, as it is quite reasonably seen as an aesthetic procedure. It'll be different from person to person whether or not you think it's worth it (or if you're able to afford it in the first place), for me the answer was yes.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I don’t get why it’d be considered an aesthetic procedure when it’s a matter of glasses not sufficiently correcting poor vision, it’s clearly a functional issue. I’m not arguing, this is just a rhetorical statement to say once again that health insurance is an enormous scam.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

root beer posted:

I don’t get why it’d be considered an aesthetic procedure when it’s a matter of glasses not sufficiently correcting poor vision, it’s clearly a functional issue. I’m not arguing, this is just a rhetorical statement to say once again that health insurance is an enormous scam.

lol you are NOT cut out for the insurance industry my dude.

Before I read your post I said what you said almost word for word

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It maybe wasn't clear and yeah I didn't mention it, but my glasses still worked just fine (even though some frames were out of the question due to how thick the lenses were by necessity). I just wanted to permanently correct my vision. I actually understand why that wouldn't be covered, it's not strictly necessary.

In the case of yaffle's friend, where they replaced the natural lenses, I assume there was a medical reason, and obviously it should be covered then.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phlegmish posted:

It maybe wasn't clear and yeah I didn't mention it, but my glasses still worked just fine (even though some frames were out of the question due to how thick the lenses were by necessity). I just wanted to permanently correct my vision.

Silly question: will your mortal biological eyes continue to degrade behind their cyborg lenses? Will you need to replace the lenses sometime in the future, for the same reason that you'd get a new glasses prescription every few years?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Silly question: will your mortal biological eyes continue to degrade behind their cyborg lenses? Will you need to replace the lenses sometime in the future, for the same reason that you'd get a new glasses prescription every few years?

I get that question in real life as well, and it makes sense. When I got my eyes checked for the procedure, I myself was convinced that they would find that my eyesight had deteriorated since the last time I got my glasses strength adjusted. Nope. It's remained stable since at least my early twenties, and I'm 34 now. They told me that your eyesight is not supposed to keep degrading once you've reached adulthood, and I think it's true in my case, but maybe it's different per person, especially if you have a specific condition.

If it does happen in the future, I'm going to decide based on how much mileage I got out of it. If it becomes necessary to replace them tomorrow, I might say 'gently caress it' and go back to wearing glasses. If it happens six years from now, and they assure me the rate of decay won't accelerate, I'd just undergo the surgery again with new lenses. I think a decade without the hassle of having to wear either glasses or contacts would be worth it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YeahTubaMike posted:

Today I learned that in the Aqua Teen Hunger Force theme song, the first line goes: "My name is Shake zula, the mic rula, the old schoola, you want a trip, I’ll bring it to ya".

I couldn't parse "I'm a Taurus" at the end of Meatwad's verse or "dancing is forbidden" that Shake says over the instrumental at the end until I looked up the lyrics.

also I didn't know that it was possible to implant artificial lenses so thanks, thread

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

also I didn't know that it was possible to implant artificial lenses so thanks, thread
Yeah, poo poo, I've had terrible vision since like first grade--legally blind, except that definition includes an inability to correct with glasses/lenses, and I do wear both--and no one's ever mentioned it. I understand LASIK or the like wouldn't work with such a hefty Rx, but maybe implanted lenses would.

drat, I just saw my eye doctor, too. I'll have to remember this at my next check-up in six months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

as in you just cope with everything blurry or you have contacts?

It’s only bad at a distance, so it just ends up not being a problem. I’m sure what I do see is blurrier than it could be, but since it’s what I’m used to I don’t notice.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, poo poo, I've had terrible vision since like first grade--legally blind, except that definition includes an inability to correct with glasses/lenses, and I do wear both--and no one's ever mentioned it. I understand LASIK or the like wouldn't work with such a hefty Rx, but maybe implanted lenses would.

drat, I just saw my eye doctor, too. I'll have to remember this at my next check-up in six months.

I think the procedure was still relatively new when I had it done back in 2020, but that was four years ago, so you would expect it to be more commonly known about by now. It does make sense that they wouldn't spontaneously bring it up, though. I only found out about it because my eye doctor proposed it as an alternative to laser eye surgery, which I had specifically inquired about.

If you have the money and your vision is stable long-term, why not? Only thing that gives me pause is that you say your impairment is very severe. That might make it more difficult, perhaps impractical altogether, or drive up the cost. But it can't hurt to ask. Please tell us what they said, if you feel like sharing that, people ask me about implant lenses in real life from time to time, and I'd like to be as accurate as possible rather than just give a thumbs up because they worked for me personally.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Please tell us what they said, if you feel like sharing that, people ask me about implant lenses in real life from time to time, and I'd like to be as accurate as possible rather than just give a thumbs up because they worked for me personally.
I will! Thanks for the idea. It may help that I go to an actual medical-doctor ophthalmologist and not strictly just an optician.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 80s goth/pop duo Shakespeare's Sister was actually called Shakespears Sister

I probably knew this at some point but I haven't thought about them at all for decades

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 80s goth/pop duo Shakespeare's Sister was actually called Shakespears Sister

I probably knew this at some point but I haven't thought about them at all for decades

Fun fact: they all had morgellon's syndrome.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean probably wasn't fun for them. In fact they probably hated the fact with every fibre of their being.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She has more than one spear, and she shakes them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a pair of cardinals basically live in my backyard, and the female is constantly fighting its reflection in the window / the side of my grill. I would have thought the male would be the one to do that, but only the female does it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

hawowanlawow posted:

a pair of cardinals basically live in my backyard, and the female is constantly fighting its reflection in the window / the side of my grill. I would have thought the male would be the one to do that, but only the female does it

The Pope's going to have a fit...

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

hawowanlawow posted:

Females will often attack other females they see as in their territory. She considers that her nesting grounds and thinks her reflection is another female wants to nest there.

Males try to drive off other Males, but for some reason are less likely to attack their reflection. It's common in many passerine species. A pair of house finches have been doing the same to the window of the office i work at.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtZ7GFV9ys&pp=ygUIQmRnIGJpcmQ%3D

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
WiFi does not stand for "Wireless Fidelity", or at least that was not the original intent. It was coined to have a pleasing sound and evoke HiFi.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

it stands for wireless fireless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wireless F'n internet