Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Besides, a config-only machine mod already exists. It's called Modular Machinery. Every pack I've seen it in has had it be kinda janky though.

I've been using it in Enigmatica 2 Expert and it's decent - it's definitely a lot better than the Forestry machines it replaces. The only downside is the material cost of making some of the higher tier input/output blocks, but I'm sure that's pack-specific and intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
After adding Project E I've been going through the other mods giving them their appropriate EMC values, such as if a 1k storage part from Refined Storage uses 4 silicon (32 EMC each) 3 glass (1 EMC each) 1 redstone (64 EMC) and 1 quartz enriched iron at 256 EMC then adding them together equals 451, so I set the 1k storage part to 451 EMC, that and the processors and that pretty made it automatically add the values for everything else up to the 64k Storage part. Which was neat!

So naturally I start adding things for Avaritia. Adding everything together took awhile such as all the food for meatballs etc, and...uh...

Lets take Gold for eg. 1 Gold ingot has an EMC value of 2048. Which means it has a Gold Block value of 18,432 EMC. Okay so far.

The Avaritia Gold Singularity needs 19,200 blocks of Gold. After everything is added up a single Infinity Catalyst costs 1,047,110,263 EMC. That's Billion. With a B.

The problem is it can't handle values over 2.1 Billion and the Infinity Ingot requires 11 Infinity Catalysts. :/

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are there any good villager-improving mods out there? I've been using Minecraft Comes Alive since it replaces testifaces with actual non-HNNNNNing humans, but it hasn't been updated in a long time and has some annoying features.

Millenaire and Minecolonies are both being kept up and are pretty good

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ak Gara posted:

So naturally I start adding things for Avaritia. Adding everything together took awhile such as all the food for meatballs etc, and...uh...

You found out why Avaritia is commonly without EMC values. Also why that mod is insane.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ergot posted:

Millenaire and Minecolonies are both being kept up and are pretty good
Oh yeah, I forgot these existed. Thanks!

fake edit: Does Millenaire have a config? I don't see one anywhere.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

After adding Project E I've been going through the other mods giving them their appropriate EMC values, such as if a 1k storage part from Refined Storage uses 4 silicon (32 EMC each) 3 glass (1 EMC each) 1 redstone (64 EMC) and 1 quartz enriched iron at 256 EMC then adding them together equals 451, so I set the 1k storage part to 451 EMC, that and the processors and that pretty made it automatically add the values for everything else up to the 64k Storage part. Which was neat!

Lets take Gold for eg. 1 Gold ingot has an EMC value of 2048. Which means it has a Gold Block value of 18,432 EMC. Okay so far.

The Avaritia Gold Singularity needs 19,200 blocks of Gold. After everything is added up a single Infinity Catalyst costs 1,047,110,263 EMC. That's Billion. With a B.

The problem is it can't handle values over 2.1 Billion and the Infinity Ingot requires 11 Infinity Catalysts. :/

Its ok to give the Avaritia stuff a lower EMC value than the components that make it up. So long as you don't have a reverse crafting recipe it won't create any perpetual EMC loops.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Evil Mastermind posted:

fake edit: Does Millenaire have a config? I don't see one anywhere.

Millenaire doesn't put its config where everyone else's config goes. It's intolerable except that I like Millenaire. I think that it creates a directory and the config lives in there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured I'd ask before I tried: Is there a way to dump all EMC values from ProjectE? Follow-up, is there something similar without necessarily using ProjectE?

I'd like to use something like EMC values as a basis for sales costs for NPC trades.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured I'd ask before I tried: Is there a way to dump all EMC values from ProjectE? Follow-up, is there something similar without necessarily using ProjectE?

I'd like to use something like EMC values as a basis for sales costs for NPC trades.

You can just use the lists available from EE2. Might not have some of the newer materials but you can figure that stuff out:
http://tekkitclassic.wikia.com/wiki/EMC

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey ya'll, in about a weeks time I'm going to be releasing a new version of Progress!

I know a few people in this thread have played before so I wanna let ya'll know. This time it's going to have much clearer progression, with quests that walk you through the various mod interactions and steps required to get from one thing to the next. Also, a nice clear lategame goal to give something people to work towards, to avoid the "mid-game" lack of focus that often occurs in sandbox packs. Lots more focus on mod interactions, with botania and astral sorcery taking a more prominent role.

As always, the goal is to be lightweight, without 20 mods with overlapping functionality, good performance for both clients and servers, and a load time of less than 30 minutes. I'm very sick and tired of every pack loading in 250 mods, seemingly just because they're there, instead of because they add something valuable to gameplay. Gotta be the change you want to see in the world, and all that.

I plan to have the server up in about a week, 2 at the latest, in time for thanksgiving break for all the Americans.

Additionally, if anyone wants to help contributing with quests, recipes, playtesting, or just finding good world seeds for a server, the discord is in the PGS thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234
Or if you just wanna hang out and talk to ButtBot, that's cool too.

I'll post more detailed info when it's about to come out!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For anyone who's still playing gregtech new horizons, I was checking sapling crafting recipes and found a GT++ Rainforest Oak item. Takes 1 sapling, 7 sticks and a bonemeal and gives a sapling that grows a tree with a 5 block cross-section, roughly 100 blocks tall. Plant a few of them in a 5x5 and get your lumber axe out and your wood problems are solved forever. And the best part is, it's Oak, so it makes oak planks/slabs/etc, perfect for your storage drawer armada.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 10, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, is it normal for modpacks to take like 15 minutes to start up? I tried loading up RAD and it just hangs indefinitely (as far as I can tell). Not even gonna touch the FTB packs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, is it normal for modpacks to take like 15 minutes to start up? I tried loading up RAD and it just hangs indefinitely (as far as I can tell). Not even gonna touch the FTB packs.

If you're playing on a potato, maybe. I allocate 8 gigs of ram to my minecraft instances and they all load in under 5 minutes, usually faster.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you're playing on a potato, maybe. I allocate 8 gigs of ram to my minecraft instances and they all load in under 5 minutes, usually faster.

:negative: That's fair, this MBP is like 5~6 years old. I need to build a PC, but I keep hesitating...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Yes it is normal. When I want to play modded Minecraft I start the pack loading, them go make myself a snack. Its usually finished loading by the time I am done eating.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's not really a matter of how much RAM you have, or even how fast your CPU or graphics card is. I think the only way to make Minecraft load faster is to put the files on a SSD and to have top of the line "fast" RAM. You can allocate 8gb of some old rear end ram and it will take forever to load (like it does for me :negative:)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 11, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder how much of it is unavoidable and how much of it is a matter of optimization and rearchitecting. I would expect Minecraft to be simple enough to not require this much overhead...but I've been wrong before.

I made a nano-modpack of my own consisting mainly of loading Tinkers, Embers, and Mining Dimension at the same time, plus some utility and QoL mods. I'm calling it "The Artificer", as if the central conceit is around building things and tinkering with them in a magitek sort of fashion. I'm not familiar enough with other mods to know what would be cool to add, though...

I might do something similar for nature mods (e.g. Botania, Betweenlands, Twilight Forest), sorcery (Astral Sorcery, Blood Magic, AbyssalCraft), and adventuring and combat (Roguelike Dungeons, Doomlike Dungeons, some weapons mods, maybe someone made a coliseum?). Could be interesting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of magic mods, there's a new one called Nature's Aura. It was made by the same person who made Actually Additions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I might do something similar for nature mods (e.g. Botania, Betweenlands, Twilight Forest), sorcery (Astral Sorcery, Blood Magic, AbyssalCraft), and adventuring and combat (Roguelike Dungeons, Doomlike Dungeons, some weapons mods, maybe someone made a coliseum?). Could be interesting.

I'd be interested in something like this. I prefer more focused packs over kitchen sink stuff because a lot of times the later feel like they're just throwing things in for the sake of having them. Plus, you know, there's a million of them and they all feel the same.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd be interested in something like this. I prefer more focused packs over kitchen sink stuff because a lot of times the later feel like they're just throwing things in for the sake of having them. Plus, you know, there's a million of them and they all feel the same.

I know, right? A tight, well-curated experience is better than kitchen sink any day. That said, it's not easy to pull off - at that point, it's practically gamedev.

Speaking of, I don't think Tinkers is quite the right fit for the Artificer :( It's more industrial than I want, I think. The idea is "solving your problems with magical artifice", which Tinkers is close to but has a lot of annoying overhead (what the gently caress do you mean I need to sear brick, make glass, and bucket lava to make a hammer) and involves a lot of building. Which isn't quite what I want.

I should look for a more streamlined version of Tinkers that focuses more on the enchanted materials part than the big building process.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would do unspeakable things for a combat/exploration pack with TiC baked into the progression. Like finding rare components in dungeons or having to go Mystcraft diving to unlock new metals.

I would also just adore it if building a smeltery was less tedious and annoying considering you need one in every map

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eox posted:

I would do unspeakable things for a combat/exploration pack with TiC baked into the progression. Like finding rare components in dungeons or having to go Mystcraft diving to unlock new metals.

I would also just adore it if building a smeltery was less tedious and annoying considering you need one in every map

When I started playing I was confused as to why I had to build a big old piece of poo poo just to cast out some metal and then I remembered that the mod that only needed a couple of blocks to cast was Foundry, not TiC. :downs: Serves me right for only learning all of this from Youtuber dickbags.

A minismelter for TiC would be awesome, especially in the context of the Artificer:

quote:

The arcane secrets in my employ transmute ores and gems to a much more sensible and efficient degree than mere humanistic smelting. Any whispers of "cursed steel" or "devil's eyes" are hogwash and rumor, nothing more.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 11, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

When I started playing I was confused as to why I had to build a big old piece of poo poo just to cast out some metal and then I remembered that the mod that only needed a couple of blocks to cast was Foundry, not TiC. :downs: Serves me right for only learning all of this from Youtuber dickbags.

A minismelter for TiC would be awesome, especially in the context of the artificer:

Well, you *can* make a tiny smeltery, with just a tank, controller, two drains and a brick block.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is it possible to add buckets of liquids to the Project E Transmutation Tablet?

The items already come with EMC values as default, but I can only take out empty buckets.

Common Project E! Do you know how much lag you would save me by not needing a Tritium Farm!!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Is it possible to add buckets of liquids to the Project E Transmutation Tablet?

The items already come with EMC values as default, but I can only take out empty buckets.

Common Project E! Do you know how much lag you would save me by not needing a Tritium Farm!!

Yeah? I do it all the time in Sky Adventures. I have empty buckets, water buckets, and lava buckets available. However, additional modded liquids may need you to manually add EMC values to the bucket of them. Otherwise, teach it to your tablet by sticking it in the left side circle part. I think though, in Sky Adventures, that all other liquids are disabled for Project E, as they don't have EMC values. If you're adding it yourself, the EMC should be the value of the material you use to make 1 bucket's worth, plus the emc of the bucket itself (7 iirc).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

taiyoko posted:

If you're adding it yourself, the EMC should be the value of the material you use to make 1 bucket's worth, plus the emc of the bucket itself (7 iirc).

How would you calculate that if the materials are free except for power? Mekanism's fusion reactor uses fuel that only costs power to produce once you have the infrastructure in place. It comes from water (heavy water pump to deuterium) and water (brine towers to lithium to neutron activators to tritium).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ambaire posted:

How would you calculate that if the materials are free except for power? Mekanism's fusion reactor uses fuel that only costs power to produce once you have the infrastructure in place. It comes from water (heavy water pump to deuterium) and water (brine towers to lithium to neutron activators to tritium).

With your judgment, same as any other byproduct

Is the "lava" part of a bucket of lava only EMC 4, since it takes 4 cobble to make a bucket of it in an Ex Nihilo crucible? If not, you've decided to add some value for processing.

Do you want to allow someone to use EMC to make the bucket of fuel? It's shortcutting making a huge parallel system to generate the precursors, so in an overpowered setting you're just skipping the busywork of duping a ton of parallel precursor infrastructure once you've proved you can do it once.

If you don't want to let someone moderately 'cheat' then there's no reason to give an EMC value to stuff, since it would just be a trap for them. Don't let someone spend 1Million EMC on a bucket of seed oil that gives less power than 8 charcoal

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Why not use EXP as currency? That way you get "money" for killing monsters, and you can even do what you want with vanilla commands.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

A minismelter for TiC would be awesome, especially in the context of the Artificer:

May I direct your attention to Tinker's Complement?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Why not use EXP as currency? That way you get "money" for killing monsters, and you can even do what you want with vanilla commands.

The notion is to have beginning players take the surplus of whatever random junk they've accumulated to some NPC shops to buy some stuff they're having trouble finding, or for advanced players to limit break. The advanced players would be able to bop some monsters quickly enough, but I don't want to put that onus on beginning players.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Eox posted:

Sounds like a lot of metal based progression and discovering various alloys and tool recipes, maybe? It does sound like a neat idea.... having TiCon be the big kauna of a modpack and even have the entire modpack's story based around it... if there is one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Krakatoah posted:

Sounds like a lot of metal based progression and discovering various alloys and tool recipes, maybe? It does sound like a neat idea.... having TiCon be the big kauna of a modpack and even have the entire modpack's story based around it... if there is one.

True - the idea is that you select a particular part of Minecraft that already exists, and expand upon it. For example, you could alter the basic tool recipes to introduce players to the concept of different parts (head, binding, shaft), so that they know what’s coming with the Tables.

Basically, you’re zooming into abstractions that the base game makes. You could do the same for Brewing and Enchantment, via alchemical constructs and patterns ala <insert alchemy mod here> or arcane theorizing and analysis ala Thaumcraft.

The question then is, what can you do with these expanded solutions, and why do you want use them? It’s important to give players a reason to progress, and maybe we could work it in by giving players problems only their new solutions can solve. Maybe you need to destroy some Embers golems for their materials in order to build a Nether portal, and you need a certain combination of part types to extract that material. Maybe the recipe for Eyes of Ender changed and you need to grab a certain mushroom that lives in the Deep Dark to craft it, and the only way to get to the Deep Dark is by building a massive digger with Embers (which can just be a dressed up portal).

But don’t forget: you’re still playing Minecraft. You’re going to mine and craft as well as build and fight - how do your new solutions help you there?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Krakatoah posted:

I don't recall which pack it was, but I played a recent one that had like 12 tiers of mining level so you had to do like 10 mining trips, come back, melt some ingots, make a new pickaxe head, go back out, mine the newly unlocked ores, make a new pickaxe head, etc.

It was kind of fun, and I think a big part of why that's cool is sort of like the Metroid-like progression where you see a thing that you can't get now, but later on you can come back to it - oh yeah I remember where I saw Osmium, I can go get it now!

It was very same-y though since it was all tinkers stuff - was fun enough while using warps, probably would have been more annoying if I was hoofing it back and forth. It might have worked better if it was mining tiers of machines, like Iron -> Steel -> Mekanism Refined Metal -> Diamond -> ??? so that you break up the mining gameplay with setting up some infrastructure. It might be hard to avoid people shortcutting and using too-advanced ores and sequence breaking by using alternate methods of breaking blocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I don't recall which pack it was, but I played a recent one that had like 12 tiers of mining level so you had to do like 10 mining trips, come back, melt some ingots, make a new pickaxe head, go back out, mine the newly unlocked ores, make a new pickaxe head, etc.

It was kind of fun, and I think a big part of why that's cool is sort of like the Metroid-like progression where you see a thing that you can't get now, but later on you can come back to it - oh yeah I remember where I saw Osmium, I can go get it now!

It was very same-y though since it was all tinkers stuff - was fun enough while using warps, probably would have been more annoying if I was hoofing it back and forth. It might have worked better if it was mining tiers of machines, like Iron -> Steel -> Mekanism Refined Metal -> Diamond -> ??? so that you break up the mining gameplay with setting up some infrastructure. It might be hard to avoid people shortcutting and using too-advanced ores and sequence breaking by using alternate methods of breaking blocks.

Blightfall did this, too. Basically, all packs should be as good as Blightfall.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Blightfall did this, too. Basically, all packs should be as good as Blightfall.
Ultimate Alchemy is worth playing. It's not as good as Blightfall, but it's a skyblock with purpose where almost every single recipe has been modified to guide you through a unique progression that matches the story being told.

Also hilariously the whole point of the entire modpack is to make a ball of clay.

e: As an example of how modified it is, mechanical crafters are made with a crafting table and a block of dirt, you have infinite oak/cobble/smoothstone from point 0, you can fly from the start, acceleration wands are close to free and take no power, and iron is made by smelting compressed cobble. It's cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

Ultimate Alchemy is worth playing. It's not as good as Blightfall, but it's a skyblock with purpose where almost every single recipe has been modified to guide you through a unique progression that matches the story being told.

Also hilariously the whole point of the entire modpack is to make a ball of clay.

e: As an example of how modified it is, mechanical crafters are made with a crafting table and a block of dirt, you have infinite oak/cobble/smoothstone from point 0, you can fly from the start, acceleration wands are close to free and take no power, and iron is made by smelting compressed cobble. It's cool.

I saw a bit of that. Apparently to make lapis, you need to refine a fluid through like 20 different steps, making a deeper and deeper hue of blue until you can turn it into lapis. It looked pretty insane.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
For FTB Sky Adventures skyblock, what's a good next step for energy generation if I have a few million EMC to work with? I'm running magmatic dynamos off of crucible lava right now, but I think it doesn't scale up to multiple-EnvironmentalTechs-worth of power particularly well.

Or should I just massively parallelize the magmatic dynamos and beef up the conduits to them instead?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This was my fantasy for a sperg mod that I'd never even lift a finger to try to do: elaborate ore processing. Rather than having one general setup that multiple yields for all ores, have various, specialized, multiblocks machines that are better suited for specific ores with different configurations for speeds, yields, and what they target best. That would include various chemical washes, electrolysis, smelters, centrifuges, and whatever they call it for finding diamonds using an X-ray scanner and puffs of air to blow the diamonds out of a falling pile of raw crud. To make it worthwhile, the yield from the actual ores could be something ridiculously high if set up right, while every run-of-the-mill stone put through it would introduce random traces of anything--so long as you had something that could extract it.

The trouble with it is that I saw it implemented as packets of information about the resource concentrations in each block containing containing unrefined ore as they are moved around pipes and such and imagined that would perform really poorly.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a big dumb baby that wants to fight across the world and return to a modest home base with sacks of loot from dungeons and such, I was thinking something less heavy on infrastructure and a little more like Hexxit with a few more dimensions and some deep loving around with TiC/Extra TiC configs to gate it a little bit.

Is it possible to prevent players from processing ores/alloys until they unlock it, but still allow them to use parts they find in chests?

edit: for example, locking Electrum behind beating the Lightning Guardian (with heavy tweaks to AM2 for less of a nightmarish grind) but still tossing a few Electrum parts in Battle Towers and such

Eox fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 12, 2018

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This was my fantasy for a sperg mod that I'd never even lift a finger to try to do: elaborate ore processing. Rather than having one general setup that multiple yields for all ores, have various, specialized, multiblocks machines that are better suited for specific ores with different configurations for speeds, yields, and what they target best. That would include various chemical washes, electrolysis, smelters, centrifuges, and whatever they call it for finding diamonds using an X-ray scanner and puffs of air to blow the diamonds out of a falling pile of raw crud. To make it worthwhile, the yield from the actual ores could be something ridiculously high if set up right, while every run-of-the-mill stone put through it would introduce random traces of anything--so long as you had something that could extract it.

The trouble with it is that I saw it implemented as packets of information about the resource concentrations in each block containing containing unrefined ore as they are moved around pipes and such and imagined that would perform really poorly.

I think that's already a mod. Can't remember the name right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Eox posted:

I'm a big dumb baby that wants to fight across the world and return to a modest home base with sacks of loot from dungeons and such, I was thinking something less heavy on infrastructure and a little more like Hexxit with a few more dimensions and some deep loving around with TiC/Extra TiC configs to gate it a little bit.

Is it possible to prevent players from processing ores/alloys until they unlock it, but still allow them to use parts they find in chests?

There's a mod in Modern Skyblock 3 that lets you selectively disable recipes until you trigger some form of quest advancement, but I can't remember what it's called. I'm not sure if it works on secondary processing recipes like (e.g.) smelting, but you could restrict the processing of the material to a specific machine, then gate that behind quest progress or achievements.