Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

DerekSmartymans posted:

but sometimes takes “search” with it!

Pffft. What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I was about to say - it barely works even in the best case. (I hear it's a different experience in cortana-enabled regions - though different does not have to mean better.)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I never really missed it, but it did catch me by surprise looking for a four-year old .txt file once that was a configuration file for an old account. I figured it was fair warning, though…jic

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Search works OK for me with Cortana and web results disabled. It’s by far the fastest way to launch applications that I haven’t made a shortcut for.

It can only reliably find executables though. If you need to find a specific file, Everything is very quick: https://www.voidtools.com/

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fruits of the sea posted:

Search works OK for me with Cortana and web results disabled. It’s by far the fastest way to launch applications that I haven’t made a shortcut for.

It can only reliably find executables though. If you need to find a specific file, Everything is very quick: https://www.voidtools.com/

Yeah, I have used Everything and even UltraSearch in the past. I think Everything gets more use because it’s on the right-click menu. They both work great!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, I have used Everything and even UltraSearch in the past. I think Everything gets more use because it’s on the right-click menu. They both work great!

For the love of gently caress why hasn't ms licensed one of those? Ava Find too back in the day before they stopped updating it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

For the love of gently caress why hasn't ms licensed one of those? Ava Find too back in the day before they stopped updating it.

I still load this on peoples stuff daily. I guess I might as well ask, since I never search inside files, but can it do that?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redeyes posted:

I still load this on peoples stuff daily. I guess I might as well ask, since I never search inside files, but can it do that?

I know that Everything can, never tried on UltraSearch so simply unaware, and Ava Find looks neat, but I’d actually never even heard of it! I would like to know this as well (as in I’m too lazy/away from desktop to look it up myself if current users are actively reading and posting 🙄).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

sometimes i click this thread for a laugh instead of technical support/reasons and lol if i didnt lol at the lamentation of the search function "going missing"

also yeah Everything search owns. i asked about it ages ago in the w7 thread and then semirecently again here after forgetting the name of it.

its actually kind of ridiculous, and has been since i downloaded Everything, to realize that you can actually find things quite easily in windows and its actually microsoft that has no idea how to do it (*no financial incentive)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just got a new PC and want to activate windows 10 which I thought was linked to my MS account but is it not? I had to do a fresh reinstall on my old PC a while back after the SSD I had windows installed on died and I just plugged a new one in and reinstalled and had no issues. Now I get an error that I don't have a product key. Do I need a new copy of windows 10 for that?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jose posted:

I just got a new PC and want to activate windows 10 which I thought was linked to my MS account but is it not? I had to do a fresh reinstall on my old PC a while back after the SSD I had windows installed on died and I just plugged a new one in and reinstalled and had no issues. Now I get an error that I don't have a product key. Do I need a new copy of windows 10 for that?

Sounds like your old install was tied to the previous hardware's signature. Where'd your previous computer's copy of Windows come from?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It was an upgrade from Windows 7 back when those were available years ago. I've unlinked my old device so my account is only showing the new PC now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jose posted:

MS stores the hardware-based hash unique to your PC in their activation system. That's why the old PC re-activated without a key -- it pinged MS with its hash and the MS server said "you again, you're activated".

So the old Win10 may not have been on your MS account.

If you still have the key you used for the previous PC -- even if it was an old Win7 or 8 key -- just punch it in on the new PC. It will probably just work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll try plugging it back in and seeing if I can get the key off the old pc then. If not I guess I buy a license key from SA mart

edit: this is proving a nightmare so I'm just going to buy windows 11 from the goon in SA mart lol

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 11, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

I'll try plugging it back in and seeing if I can get the key off the old pc then. If not I guess I buy a license key from SA mart

edit: this is proving a nightmare so I'm just going to buy windows 11 from the goon in SA mart lol

you can, but if you wanna save a buck you can call up microsoft and be like my son upgraded the cd driveand windows broke??? they're usually OK with it they'll reauthenticate once basically for sure.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CoolCab posted:

you can, but if you wanna save a buck you can call up microsoft and be like my son upgraded the cd driveand windows broke??? they're usually OK with it they'll reauthenticate once basically for sure.

IIRC you can get one (or two?) of these free reauths per year

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Hello Windows 10 thread what is the least gross way to get a tabbed file explorer on windows 10. Thank you

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Chilled Milk posted:

Hello Windows 10 thread what is the least gross way to get a tabbed file explorer on windows 10. Thank you

Total Commander.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; never mind

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I use QTTabBar and haven't had many issues of note with it other than it being annoying to configure http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Chilled Milk posted:

https://files.community/ is real nice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Is there any way to get it to open via win+e?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

hooah posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/keyboard-manager

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I'm fiddling around with it, but I can't see how that would work. The "Mapped to" drop-down doesn't have like a "launch application" option.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Yes, simply enable this setting in Files

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

hooah posted:

I'm fiddling around with it, but I can't see how that would work. The "Mapped to" drop-down doesn't have like a "launch application" option.

Ah sorry I've had a brain fart. Fortunately looks like Files supports it natively

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, simply enable this setting in Files

Oh, that's fantastic, thanks!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've been a Mac user, including at work, for well over a decade, but my new job is a Windows environment and they sent me a Dell. This has me screaming internally. What apps would people recommend to make the user experience more Mac-like, and less lovely? I have a Windows PC for bideo james, so it's not like I don't know how to use it, I would just...prefer not to.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've been a Mac user, including at work, for well over a decade, but my new job is a Windows environment and they sent me a Dell. This has me screaming internally. What apps would people recommend to make the user experience more Mac-like, and less lovely? I have a Windows PC for bideo james, so it's not like I don't know how to use it, I would just...prefer not to.

Disable the right mouse button?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry you were preconditioned by a terrible operating system like macs os. Maybe stay in yospos and continue talking to other rabid apple fanboys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Being more specific than "less lovely" might get some actual recommendations, hope this helps

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Being more specific than "less lovely" might get some actual recommendations, hope this helps

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Disable the right mouse button?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Don’t know if you’ll be able to do this given it’s a work machine; but one thing windows really lacks is a competently designed email app and I find mailspring is the best thing out there for the job - it’s cross platform Mac and Windows and you can tell the devs were more into MacOS design aesthetics than windows ones.

Also it’s no help to you but Windows 11 goes a long way to moving windows closer to a macOS aesthetic.

Other than that as people have said you’ll probably need to highlight specific grievances before people can assist, and presumably you’re significantly limited in what you can do given it’s a work machine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I do have some leeway as the IT manager is sympathetic and said he would probably approve me installing most things. But I want to get a solid list going first, and I can test things out on my gaming PC.

Yes, email client is a top priority. Ours is an Outlook organization but I'm wondering if there is an option that is compatible with Outlook's workplace features that isn't broken, infuriating dogshit. Mac Mail has been a godsend, I deeply prefer something simple and straightforward in that vein, but I also need to be able to use calendar features, etc. Can Mailspring do that?

I've heard there are Explorer replacements that feature UI design from this century, is there one in particular that's better than others?

Something Docklike to replace the Start menu bar would be awesome too, I understand that Microsoft basically gave up and went that route in Windows 11 after all.

Oh, and what's the preferred browser these days? I'm not into using Edge given how Microsoft has monetized it. Chrome is fine but there are also some issues there. Too bad there's no Safari for Windows now that Safari is actually good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 17, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
A poo poo ton of PowerToys are both extremely useful and 'And' tools. They don't replace functionality or modify existing functionality - they just add a new feature.

What is the reason they don't add those 'And' tools to default Windows? Some of that stuff like FancyZones can dramatically improve the UX of the OS for power users and be completely harmless to the computer illiterate.

quote:

- Mac Like
- Less lovely

These are mutually exclusive. I guess you could keep disabling features until you end up with a phone?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I do have some leeway as the IT manager is sympathetic and said he would probably approve me installing most things. But I want to get a solid list going first, and I can test things out on my gaming PC.

Yes, email client is a top priority. Ours is an Outlook organization but I'm wondering if there is an option that is compatible with Outlook's workplace features that isn't broken, infuriating dogshit. Mac Mail has been a godsend, I deeply prefer something simple and straightforward in that vein, but I also need to be able to use calendar features, etc. Can Mailspring do that?

I've heard there are Explorer replacements that feature UI design from this century, is there one in particular that's better than others?

Something Docklike to replace the Start menu bar would be awesome too, I understand that Microsoft basically gave up and went that route in Windows 11 after all.

Oh, and what's the preferred browser these days? I'm not into using Edge given how Microsoft has monetized it. Chrome is fine but there are also some issues there. Too bad there's no Safari for Windows now that Safari is actually good.

It's rare I see this level of Apple poisoning in the wild. Hope you get well soon.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mailspring has a bunch of features and I believe a paid version with extra stuff but honestly my email needs are very simple and you'd need to test it out for yourself. If you're an outlook organisation you might just be stuck with outlook.

Vivaldi is probably going to be the chromium based browser of choice; alternatively use firefox.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks, hadn't heard of Vivaldi but will give it a shot. Will also ask Mr. IT how necessary it really is to use Outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Has anyone used this as a daily driver? This looks rad as hell.