Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrWillsauce

how did you survive w2k, bo-bepper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I remember at midnight y2k i was playing starcraft because my parents were just watching tv which is boring and i couldn't really go anywhere fun because we were rural and i couldn't drive

when even battle.net didn't crash at midnight i knew the world was safe

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

MrWillsauce posted:

how did you survive w2k, bo-bepper?

drunk and wading through a street full of exploded fireworks

MrWillsauce

did you win the games, alnilam?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I spent y2k huddled with a family of raccoons deep in the woods, learning their language and way of life. It was several weeks later that I snuck into town to try and scavenge for supplies and realized the world had not ended.

alnilam

MrWillsauce posted:

did you win the games, alnilam?

yeah based on the time in my life I'm guessing i alternated zerg and toss in 2v2s on those maps where the minerals don't run out (but not the ones where the minerals are one tile away from your base) and mostly won :frogc00l:

later on, in the 21st century, i developed more refined tastes and always played random race on canonical maps and didn't always win but enjoyed the challenge more

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i always went single player turtling to build a huge base in a boy version of making a doll house

one of my favorite gaming memories is playing dune ii and slowly building a pathway of concrete slabs as close to the enemy base as i could

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

i always went single player turtling to build a huge base in a boy version of making a doll house

one of my favorite gaming memories is playing dune ii and slowly building a pathway of concrete slabs as close to the enemy base as i could

lol, i used to love doing the "turret creep" in starcraft especially as protoss since with zerg you'd have to alternate ground and air

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

check out dis sweet quad turret dick move yo

Piso Mojado

MrWillsauce posted:

holy poo poo you've been alive for a long time

A wise yobber would avoid pointing these things out.

alnilam

building a nydus canal into the forgotten corner behind the minerals of a zerg enemy's base :greencube:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

ordos advisor best advisor

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i mean sure he's a poorly disguised jewish stereotype in the faction that focuses on money and subterfuge BUT WHATEVER

Piso Mojado

tfw the enemy attacks but you got 30 seige tanks and aa turrets around your base.

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I would like to use czars because it was awesome when they were shot down nd crashed into a base and blew it up

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

tfw the enemy attacks but you got 30 seige tanks and aa turrets around your base.

tfw your siege tanks outrange their turrets and they don't have the air power to stop them from creeping slowly forward

vanisher

alnilam posted:

tfw your siege tanks outrange their turrets and they don't have the air power to stop them from creeping slowly forward

this is my reoccurring nightmare

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

a mass of siege tanks but they all have your mother's face on them

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
countless digital lives lost due to the hubris of gamers, small digital children wondering why their army man daddy isn't coming home anymore

Piso Mojado

Bo-Pepper posted:

a mass of siege tanks but they all have your mother's face on them

It really does look just like her.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
"papa used to drive a red tank, he'd bring me little toys he bought on his meager salary and promise mama that soon the war would be over"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

keep clicking on the doomed army man to hear his increasingly distressed pleas to god that he might see his baby daughter again (he doesn't)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Bo-Pepper posted:

keep clicking on the doomed army man to hear his increasingly distressed pleas to god that he might see his baby daughter again (he doesn't)

eonwe

alnilam posted:

:evilbuddy:

vanisher

Russian accented soldiers who trust you in Red Alert 2, "Yes Sir? Acckknowledged"

Sir.. heh... that's a lofty title for the angel of death leading you to be inevitably squashed by tanks (probably my own)

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wow these plebians still talking about StarCraft when I try to change the subject to Supreme Commander. Tch, I see class and taste is a premium

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

"papa used to drive a red tank, he'd bring me little toys he bought on his meager salary and promise mama that soon the war would be over"

Bo-Pepper posted:

vanisher posted:

Russian accented soldiers who trust you in Red Alert 2, "Yes Sir? Acckknowledged"

Sir.. heh... that's a lofty title for the angel of death leading you to be inevitably squashed by tanks (probably my own)

vanisher

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wow these plebians still talking about StarCraft when I try to change the subject to Supreme Commander. Tch, I see class and taste is a premium

I tried to install Total Annihilation on my ancient Pentium computer and it ran at some awful FPS

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

SHY NUDIST GRRL

vanisher posted:

I tried to install Total Annihilation on my ancient Pentium computer and it ran at some awful FPS

I played total annihilation kingdoms

Actually I dont like RTS at all.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

go get em spicy boyz!

vanisher

I always used the soviet disk to start up

http://i.imgur.com/M3BWHvQ.gifv

vanisher

Bo-Pepper posted:

go get em spicy boyz!

tap x constantly!!

vanisher

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I played total annihilation kingdoms

Actually I dont like RTS at all.

We could talk about how darkseed scarred us emotionally as children too, i'm open to many early video game topics

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i played MechWarrior 1 on my ibm pcjr that had 128kbs of memory and hard drives weren't a thing yet i liked it

also infocom games

i still have a complete copy of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

vanisher

Bo-Pepper posted:

also infocom games

i still have a complete copy of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

I played Hitchhikers guide

I could never make it out of the dark room in the spaceship at the very beginning.

"Feel walls"

The room is completely devoid of light, you see and feel nothing

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

check out my sweet joystick

SHY NUDIST GRRL

vanisher posted:

We could talk about how darkseed scarred us emotionally as children too, i'm open to many early video game topics

I just wish I could hold all these limes

vanisher

Bo-Pepper posted:

check out my sweet joystick

Whoa dog!

Who remembers the shape of the day of the tentacle box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

now thinking on it probably my favorite early gaming memory was beating wishbringer with my father

it's another infocom game and it came with a glow in the dark "stone" like the one you had in the game

it came with a sealed envelope that you weren't supposed to open and read until you were told

I loved it

still have a complete copy of that as well

the era of digital gaming is wonderful but some fun things were definitely lost over the years