Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Firgof posted:

The full version is also, by that definition, a short wave shooter with a gimmick though. Also, compared to most VR games on the market right now, it's about 'full length' right now as goes the standard.

Longest games I've seen in VR come in the order of 3-5 hours (by average). SuperHot VR has so far taken up about 2.5hrs of my time and I've yet to finish it - that puts it in the 'full length' category for me.
In real SUPERHOT you can move nontrivial distances under your own control, at least.

There's plenty of good VR games that offer genuine full-length experiences (and beyond, if you're not allergic to multiplayer), this isn't like release year where we had to tell ourselves that glorified tech demos count as good content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Daily deal is From Other Suns, 55% off. Oculus is being loving terrible for my wallet right now. Also when the hell am I even gonna have time to play this.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Ralith posted:

In real SUPERHOT you can move nontrivial distances under your own control, at least.

There's plenty of good VR games that offer genuine full-length experiences (and beyond, if you're not allergic to multiplayer), this isn't like release year where we had to tell ourselves that glorified tech demos count as good content.

Examples of games that offer 30-40 hour experiences that were built for VR? (excluding things like Fallout 4/Skyrim/Subnautica/X-Rebirth/etc. [iow games not built for VR but were adapted, most of the time poorly, into it] and multiplayer components)

Only ones I've got in my deck that's offering on those scales right now are Sairento (only thanks to the free mission system and diablo-like loot mechanics) and To the Top and I feel like my VR library's pretty large right now if we exclude early access and short games. Even then I'm being pretty generous because I wouldn't call a short game with procedural elements necessarily a 'full length experience' - but those are nonetheless the only titles I can call on right now that fit the hours-requirement without getting into things like 'well how long does it take to farm every possible variation of bow, arrow, armor, and so forth in QuiVR'. I mean, FORM is a great game and a great experience - but it's not what I'd call a 'genuine full length experience' because it doesn't hit that time requirement of 30+ hours of non-grinding SP content.

e: Granted, I've not played anything on the Oculus side of the fence as I'm mostly evaluating games to see if they'd be worth their licensing fees to have in a VR Arcade and my boss has stated we're not going to accept anything but stable games running natively on the Vive platform.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 25, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't think "full-length experiences" necessarily tracks into "30-40 hour experiences".

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Discounting multiplayer games also seems arbitrary. That's where most of my gaming time has been in flat screen games, why would VR be different?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

cargohills posted:

I don't think "full-length experiences" necessarily tracks into "30-40 hour experiences".

Can't think of many other useful metrics to judge it by. 'Short' was being used as the contrast here to begin with, after all. I don't think it's absolutely essential - which is why I'd hesitantly include Sairento and To The Top. 'Full length' implies a length, after all, and if that measure isn't at least rooted in time played then I'm not sure what we'd measure that distance with.

edit:

Lemming posted:

Discounting multiplayer games also seems arbitrary. That's where most of my gaming time has been in flat screen games, why would VR be different?

MP often well-inflates the 'actual length' of any particular game. That's why I tend to look directly at the SP-component, if one exists, as that's a more reliable judge of 'how much content the game has in it that you don't bring to it'. With MP you're sort of bringing as much content to the game as you like - and so the amount of actual content begins to matter less than the rate at which you become bored/fulfilled with the game, despite having already explored its full content.

e: I mean, I don't think Ricochet is a 'full length game' as I'd put its real content length at something around 5-15 minutes - but I've nonetheless played hours due to the MP component. That doesn't really change that it's not a 'full-length game' though, even if I can manage to find a 'full length game's' amount of time in it.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 25, 2018

iceaim
May 20, 2001

El Grillo posted:

^^yeah folks on Reddit are speculating that it hasn't sold well. What's the online population like? It really only just came out.. but then again if it doesn't have crossplay then it's probably not that great..

It does have crossplay between Oculus Home and Steam but only randos. You can't cross play with friends.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7zgzth/sprint_vector_doesnt_actually_have_oculus_home/

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Firgof posted:

Can't think of many other useful metrics to judge it by. 'Short' was being used as the contrast here to begin with, after all. I don't think it's absolutely essential - which is why I'd hesitantly include Sairento and To The Top. 'Full length' implies a length, after all, and if that measure isn't at least rooted in time played then I'm not sure what we'd measure that distance with.

Deciding to judge a game as "full-length" only if it's longer than 30 hours is just bizarre. Is Half-Life not a "full-length" experience because it's only 10 hours long? Resident Evil 7 takes the same length of time too, and if you asked I'd say that seems pretty full.

It seems pretty clear from Ralith's original post that he's comparing something like these to a fairly short VR game, like maybe Job Simulator or the Star Wars Battlefront VR mission.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

cargohills posted:

Deciding to judge a game as "full-length" only if it's longer than 30 hours is just bizarre. Is Half-Life not a "full-length" experience because it's only 10 hours long? Resident Evil 7 takes the same length of time too, and if you asked I'd say that seems pretty full.

It seems pretty clear from Ralith's original post that he's comparing something like these to a fairly short VR game, like maybe Job Simulator or the Star Wars Battlefront VR mission.

For its time, yeah, I'd say HL1 was a full length experience. Games have gotten a little longer on PC since then though. Super-long-play games were, as I remember back then, more the realm of consoles at the time HL1 came out. Most SP campaigns on PC were around 4-8 hours long to my memory with the very rare 20+ hour exception (e.g. Tie Fighter, X-Wing, etc) - and most of those were Strategy, RPG, or Simulation games.

These days if a game is SP-focused and offers less than 10 people are hesitant to call it 'full length'. Like, as a for instance, I felt RE7 was a little short for its price (the DLC brings it up to a full-length in my mind) where The Evil Within 2 was more reasonable to me as a full-length experience. Mafia 3 is something I'd consider full-length as well. These days I'd say the standard hovers around 14+ hours of somewhat relaxed, non-grindy/collectibles-required/achievement-completionist, play - but all of those at the lower end of 15-and-sorts just don't often feel like 'full experiences' to me. You need to get up there with Horizon: Zero Dawn for me to feel I've gotten a full experience out of a game, which means I usually don't find fulfillment in things that aren't RPGs.

Any case, I'm not sure I'd compare Superhot to Job Simulator's length. Having played both, JS is like an hour or so of content and I've gotten about 4 in Superhot so far despite not having beat it. I suppose the length of SH varies greatly depending on how skilled you are at the play though, so I could imagine someone who shoots, ducks, and slow-times well could blast through everything I've gone through so far in the game in around 8-16 minutes. Hmm. That's not usually a thing I'd have to consider in VR games - maybe it's more of a factor here than it is normally.

For me, I consider 'short' games as ones like Accounting. Is that out of the norm in y'all's opinion?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah, its kind of odd. I spent hours more time finishing the single player of Chronos, or Mage's Tale, and about the same amount of hours finishing Lone Echo, Arktica.1, or Wilson's Heart, as I did playing the single player of noted Full Game Doom 2016, or Wolfenstien 2, for some recent examples.

I don't know why a game should be expected to provide 40 hours of single player time, the only way you get that is with open world games, and frankly the majority of them are lousy time wasting "check everything off on the map" fests. I'll take a solid polished and intricately crafted and paced 7-8 hour single player game over that any day.

Heck it costs $25 to buy a movie ticket and thats only ~2 hours of entertainment, $50 bucks for ~8 hours of a fun story is a steal.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Only considering open-world RPGs to be full-length games does seem to be a bit out of the ordinary, I'd say.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Talos Principle VR (yeah it痴 a convert but don稚 be so restrictive as to eliminate all answers), I致e been inching my way through that for months.

Also VR in it痴 current form factor is a totally different format to flat gaming. It痴 a rare breed who wants to/has the time to completely shut out the world for 30-40 hours over a week or two. Personally I think Lone Echo was the perfect length for current VR tech. Took me a couple days but you could smash through it in one sitting if you didn稚 have a small child to care for.

Fallout 4 length is intentionally not my bag in VR at the moment, it just wouldn稚 fit into my life. When tech improves and children grow I知 sure I値l slowly migrate to living the fully digital life but that time is not now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
As a man with no life Skyrim VR is my kind of thing, with 3-5 hour sessions until Monster Hunter World arrived, after a month of that I plugged the kit back in so I can let my aching fingers rest.

Journalists are still crying over how PSVR has one box, one coupled cable from box to headset, then four cables on the back of the unit that easily are not visible to anybody but the complete nutbags who insist on taking the PSVR kit down and packing it up after every single session. Any good example shots of what PC VR looks like, that perhaps could be shown to these journalists?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Daily deal is From Other Suns, 55% off. Oculus is being loving terrible for my wallet right now. Also when the hell am I even gonna have time to play this.

EDIT: I did math wrong.

It's down to $17.99 from $39.99. It's very tempting. I did enjoy my time with it when it had a free weekend.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 25, 2018

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chadzok posted:

Talos Principle VR (yeah it痴 a convert but don稚 be so restrictive as to eliminate all answers), I致e been inching my way through that for months.
Yeah, Croteam's VR games absolutely shouldn't be written off as low-effort "ports," they've got better VR integration than lots of made-from-scratch-for-VR stuff.

Myself, I'm approaching 200 hours in Pavlov. I don't think I ever even played CS that much.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MrLonghair posted:

As a man with no life Skyrim VR is my kind of thing, with 3-5 hour sessions until Monster Hunter World arrived, after a month of that I plugged the kit back in so I can let my aching fingers rest.

Journalists are still crying over how PSVR has one box, one coupled cable from box to headset, then four cables on the back of the unit that easily are not visible to anybody but the complete nutbags who insist on taking the PSVR kit down and packing it up after every single session. Any good example shots of what PC VR looks like, that perhaps could be shown to these journalists?

My Oculus setup is a visual disaster. Only takes like 5 minutes to unplug my desktop, bring it to my play area and connect everything, but there's cables going every which way.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

Yeah, Croteam's VR games absolutely shouldn't be written off as low-effort "ports," they've got better VR integration than lots of made-from-scratch-for-VR stuff.

Myself, I'm approaching 200 hours in Pavlov. I don't think I ever even played CS that much.

100%

Cro Team VR bundle is fantastic, and on sale its a fuckin steal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

Heck it costs $25 to buy a movie ticket
:eyepop: where do you live

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

If I'm going to a theater, its going to be a nice IMAX or something. Thats 20+ bucks a person in most cases. I mean sure the dollar theater whatever, but I'd guess hes comparing new release movies for entertainment value, and I do the same poo poo. Figure about 10-20 bucks a person for a movie MIN depending where I'm at. I'm GOING to get a drink and a snack. thats 10 bucks. Movies 2 hours.

Totally agreed Tom

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Firgof posted:

MP often well-inflates the 'actual length' of any particular game. That's why I tend to look directly at the SP-component, if one exists, as that's a more reliable judge of 'how much content the game has in it that you don't bring to it'. With MP you're sort of bringing as much content to the game as you like - and so the amount of actual content begins to matter less than the rate at which you become bored/fulfilled with the game, despite having already explored its full content.

e: I mean, I don't think Ricochet is a 'full length game' as I'd put its real content length at something around 5-15 minutes - but I've nonetheless played hours due to the MP component. That doesn't really change that it's not a 'full-length game' though, even if I can manage to find a 'full length game's' amount of time in it.

If the game is deep enough that it can hold your interest for hours and hours what value does calling it a """"""full length game"""""" or not have? What does """""actual length""""" have to do with anything if there's enough complexity and playability that you can sink tens or hundreds of hours into it?

The concept of content being valuable in its own right is stupid. You and up with No Man's Sky where there are trillions of different planets!!! Infinite content!!!! and there's nothing to do and nothing interesting about it

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

:australia:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Brass Tactics has a pretty :coal: flow to it. I feel like the first 2 minutes is pretty decisive, but I can't decide if the matches are over too quick or I just haven't figured out mitigation strategies to come back from behind. Either way, enjoying it so far! Anyone else playing it?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lemming posted:

If the game is deep enough that it can hold your interest for hours and hours what value does calling it a """"""full length game"""""" or not have? What does """""actual length""""" have to do with anything if there's enough complexity and playability that you can sink tens or hundreds of hours into it?

The concept of content being valuable in its own right is stupid. You and up with No Man's Sky where there are trillions of different planets!!! Infinite content!!!! and there's nothing to do and nothing interesting about it

NMS is pretty much the definition of 'you bringing content into the game' for me. A world of infinite palette shifts but only one enemy is not a world of any useful depth unless I am utterly fascinated by palette shifts. Some folks would find hours of content in such a world but it still wouldn't hold up to being called a 'full length game' by mass opinion because the majority of folks aren't fascinated by infinite palette shifts. Procedural generation for its own sake isn't really mechanical depth to begin with; it needs to be hooked to interesting mechanics that have their own depth. Procedural iterations on a variety of varied mechanics does add at least some useful depth (e.g. roll-a-weapon games like Diablo and Borderlands) but not when it's used like in NMS to effectively just disguise a clicker game with a movement component as a big, expansive, space adventure game.

The value is in being able to say 'this is a short experimental game' versus 'this is a full length game'; allowing us to have expectations of the content in those games without having necessarily played them.

Also, I fear for the lifespan of the switch underneath your quote key.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 26, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

Brass Tactics has a pretty :coal: flow to it. I feel like the first 2 minutes is pretty decisive, but I can't decide if the matches are over too quick or I just haven't figured out mitigation strategies to come back from behind. Either way, enjoying it so far! Anyone else playing it?
It's really loving good. I played a bit of the free demo yesterday. The pace is pretty frantic once things get on the go, but I love how tactical the VR viewpoint makes it - you have to be seriously on the ball with your situational awareness, and it's great fun trying to launch sneak attacks and stuff without alerting your opponent.

Not sure I could ever get any good at it but basically everything in the game seems really well designed and enjoyable. As and when it goes on sale I'll definitely get it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of long games, I spent like 8 hours playing Obduction yesterday. For some reason it doesn't work correctly with the dash update so I had to switch off of beta. The performance is much better after their initial release, which was also pre-touch. Touch support doesn't add a ton to the gameplay but they fixed the stutter and weird deferred rendering problems they had, and since the game is half walking simulator I really dig it now. I'm glad I gave it another try!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bhodi posted:

Speaking of long games, I spent like 8 hours playing Obduction yesterday. For some reason it doesn't work correctly with the dash update so I had to switch off of beta. The performance is much better after their initial release, which was also pre-touch. Touch support doesn't add a ton to the gameplay but they fixed the stutter and weird deferred rendering problems they had, and since the game is half walking simulator I really dig it now. I'm glad I gave it another try!
Have they fixed the steer-with-your-face locomotion yet?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They added in a teleport-with-facing-arrow locomotion option similar to robo recall.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Hey are any of these games any good? They sound very exciting.

I think I値l skip it since I already have VR at home.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PenisMonkey posted:

Can confirm lemonade & ice cream to be excellent.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Seems like there's a good chance that those games are mostly mobile VR titles. The only one I can find on Steam is Quick Draw.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bhodi posted:

They added in a teleport-with-facing-arrow locomotion option similar to robo recall.

That is not a fix, it is another, differently lovely, locomotion system entirely.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

PenisMonkey posted:

"lets help get more people into VR by making their first experience poo poo"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"lets help get more people into VR by making their first experience poo poo"

Library around here did something similar. Bunch of lovely low end phone VR things. Wasnt even a room full of gearVRs or something. Just cheap android phones in lovely headsets with crappy software on em.

At least this looks like theres going to be a "real" vr headset and controls!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

EbolaIvory posted:

At least this looks like theres going to be a "real" vr headset and controls!

Well, that or they googled "VR" and used some stock photos they found. It's all the same right?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cheap Shot posted:

Well, that or they googled "VR" and used some stock photos they found. It's all the same right?

Pretty much exactly the same. I dunno why I spent so much on mine.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

Based on those names I'm guessing those are probably student games made in a game dev class.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah well I知 not gonna wake up and fight traffic to find out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PenisMonkey posted:

Yeah well I’m not gonna wake up and fight traffic to find out.

Various choices though, Shark Hunter and Alien Hunter!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PenisMonkey posted:

That sounds cool, but I'd rather go to the place around the corner and get some fudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Winner of the Sprint Vector coin challenge and world record on PC
https://youtu.be/CVTIrYk8QLM

Holy poo poo