Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Marie Kondo has been latched onto as part of the age-old “reject what your parents did” storyline. I mean, I’ve seen her referenced in the audiophile press as the reason younger listeners prefer full-function integrated units over large separates, while completely ignoring the cost and space issues that are far more likely to be driving those decisions.

It’s annoying because her method doesn’t advocate trashing everything or living with nothing. It just forces you to actually come to terms with how much stuff you really have and to determine what of that you actually want and need.

Regarding the homogenization of design due to blogs and instagram, I do wonder how much is due to certain things looking good in photographs and how much of it is due to certain styles being easy to photograph. I feel like making minimalist design look good in amateur photos is a good bit easier than doing the same for, say, maximalist decor.

I think this author kind of overdoes his criticism at times, but this is a good article

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jan/03/empty-promises-marie-kondo-craze-for-minimalism

One really good point he's brought up (either in this article or elsewhere) is with some of this stuff it does absolutely get homogenized, and you end up losing those distinct qualities of a home that make them unique. That's when you know you've taken it too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Except the deathtrap farm implement stair rail I love this.

Some farmers love Hitchcock, who are we to judge?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In 1949, the US Department of Agriculture made this video about a kitchen they designed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N9RCQjPqh4

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I definitely agree with a lot of that article. Our capitalistic and profit-driven society will absolutely package up any lifestyle or design mythos, such as minimalism, and sell a sanitized version of it to people chasing whatever trend they can find or latch on to. I think he needs to be more derisive of The Minimalists, though. I've never listened to their podcast, but their Netflix documentary was pure dreck.

Bongo Bill posted:

In 1949, the US Department of Agriculture made this video about a kitchen they designed:

While some of the stuff in the kitchen is kind of silly, like behind-the-sink potato storage, it's still a better-designed kitchen than you see in your typical McMansion. Lose the fairly worthless tuck away storage, swap the planning station for a taller cart that can be used as an island, and you could cook up a storm in that kitchen.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 15, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I loved every bit of this and want to try cooking in that kitchen. I also want to see the dining room side of the dish rack they were talking about.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Motronic posted:

I loved every bit of this and want to try cooking in that kitchen. I also want to see the dining room side of the dish rack they were talking about.

There are so many things about that kitchen that I love.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bongo Bill posted:

Forums poster Mr. Mambold spotted at 2:45

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bongo Bill posted:

Man, these IKEA commercials are getting creative.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Those fold-in-half cupboard doors :eyepop:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

I think he needs to be more derisive of The Minimalists, though. I've never listened to their podcast, but their Netflix documentary was pure dreck.

there's several good critiques of them cited here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minimalists#Critical_reception

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The sugar and flour should be kept in air tight containers to prevent critters and spoilage (who goes through that much sugar these days?). That's really my only critique of that kitchen, but i really want a majority of it. Leave the electric range though.

Watching it again, I'd like to see a modern take that includes a microwave and dishwasher.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 15, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Just for comparison, here's a model kitchen layout from the 1890s intended for a homemaker without any servants and with limited (if any) access to electricity.

Homebuilding manuals from this period always prescribe putting powered refrigerators outside of the main kitchen area; I suspect the earliest models made a lot of waste heat and noise. Note the cross-ventilation windows predating the existence of the exhaust fan.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I am designing some built-in seating for my living room and would like to get some critiques from design oriented folks. Reasonably accurate render of the current bench design in my living room below. [Rendering is missing a chair rail at the window sill height].

I have a few concerns. First, this bench seat is going to be VERY large. It will be 150" wide in the front, 79" in the back, and about 40" deep in the middle. I'm not even 100% sure I could have a single cushion made that big. I could easily do a bench that followed the angles of the wall, but you wouldn't be able to lay down on it. The current size will be able to fit two adults very comfortably, and could probably be used as a nice sleeping area if we have a lot of visitors. The room is pretty big, so even if we go with this design there is enough room to comfortably put a few chairs and/or a couch.

Second is how to design the storage. My wife wants open storage so our son will be able to see his toys. I'm not sure how well the open rectangular look here goes with the detailed moldings in the house. The more I trim out the openings the smaller they will have to be.

Suggestions appreciated! Let me know if this is a better fit for a different thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You would have to do a custom cushion, but it would be fine. Regular fabric is wider than your bench will be deep, so you don't even have to seek out special bolts woven extra wide. (You will want upholstery fabric, though.) Another option would be to do it in three pieces, two with angled backs and the center with a straight back.

Is that really a space you want for visible toy storage? That use is pretty limited in time, while a built-in is going to be there for a lot longer. I always prefer closed storage, and I think that would be a good spot for more closely related stuff like blankets or off-season pillowcases or decor.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, I’ve read a bunch of those articles and generally agree with them.

My aunt was a working-class machinist and, frankly, a bit of a hoarder. Her partner is still alive, and we are very, very slowly clearing things out. You can tell, based on what she hoarded, that she was always worried about things breaking. Multiple backups for tools, replacement parts, etc. but her work could be inconsistent, and she didn’t want to ever be caught unprepared.

I work in government IT and, while I’m certainly not rich, I can afford to not have backups. Something breaks? I can afford to replace it or pay someone to fix it pretty easily.

Now, should we, as a society, be discussing overconsumption, sustainability, and the effects of buying cheap furniture and replacing it every 3 years? Absolutely. But ‘lifestyle minimalism’ isn’t the default, or even the correct, answer to that.

Now, as much as I enjoy taking cheap shots at him, Prada Slut should be commended for his commitment to minimalism. It works for him, and he’s deliberate about his purchases. I just refuse to buy into it as the ‘one true way.’

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’m with Anne on the storage bench. Having the toys on display means you have to care about how they look. Better to have drawers that hide the toy clutter and can be repurposed for other uses later. And, if my kids were any indication, emptying drawers is one of their favorite pastimes.

I’d go for a single piece for the cushion. I can’t tell from the picture, but I would definitely want a lip on the bench to keep the cushion from slipping, especially if you think it might be used as a guest bed.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1000-S-Valley-Rd_Olathe_KS_66061_M95414-89406?cid=other_shares_core_ldp#photo10

this is one of those houses where you scroll through the pictures like "meh" until you get to THE ONE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

You would have to do a custom cushion, but it would be fine. Regular fabric is wider than your bench will be deep, so you don't even have to seek out special bolts woven extra wide. (You will want upholstery fabric, though.)

My understanding from recent reupholstering is that the pattern goes in the opposite direction from what would be needed here unless the fabric specifies that it's "railroaded" (meaning the pattern is in the long direction....I think). I just went through this with a sofa I was getting reupholstered and was able to get a single cushion the way it was originally rather than 3 separate ones (which it had when I got it after a reupholster).

Upholstery fabric is a deep dark rabbit hole. Gaddmn there are just so many choices.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think it depends if you have a pattern that needs to be directional (like toile) vs. if you have something that could go either way (like stripes/plaid) or that doesn't have a directionality. That's a good point, though, the baby-level reupholstering I've done has all been totally abstract.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

How drafty are your windows? I personally as a guest wouldn’t want to sleep there because of privacy, sound and light issues along with the potential for draft in the winter. Sounds like a miserable place to sleep unless you’re hosting a very drunk college kid

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it depends if you have a pattern that needs to be directional (like toile) vs. if you have something that could go either way (like stripes/plaid) or that doesn't have a directionality. That's a good point, though, the baby-level reupholstering I've done has all been totally abstract.

Yeah, I only know enough to sound stupid about it at this point. This is the sofa where the fabric was railroaded if it helps at all:

The way it was reupholstered before had the pattern going in the same direction, but since the fabric wasn't railroaded the back was in three sections with piping between them and there were three cushions to match.

According to my mom the way it is done now is the way it looked originally before she had it reupholstered in the lat 80s. (it's a 1920s or so sofa as far as I can tell)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1000-S-Valley-Rd_Olathe_KS_66061_M95414-89406?cid=other_shares_core_ldp#photo10

this is one of those houses where you scroll through the pictures like "meh" until you get to THE ONE

Dude how are you going to sell in this market if you don't have an eat-in hot tub?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

My understanding from recent reupholstering is that the pattern goes in the opposite direction from what would be needed here unless the fabric specifies that it's "railroaded" (meaning the pattern is in the long direction....I think). I just went through this with a sofa I was getting reupholstered and was able to get a single cushion the way it was originally rather than 3 separate ones (which it had when I got it after a reupholster).

Upholstery fabric is a deep dark rabbit hole. Gaddmn there are just so many choices.

That's pretty common with all fabric. Because a bolt is always going to be much longer than it is wide, designers favor pattern orientation that works best on long, skinny rectangles rather than short, fat ones. Not usually a big issue for stripes, but for upholstery fabric, because it's also used for drapery, the lines are usually run parallel to the long side because horizontal striped curtains are not super common.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It's like every single surface has a thin layer of warm grey over glaze over it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "ice box"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/210-S-4th-St-Sterling-CO-80751/89850763_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3429-Folsom-Blvd-Sacramento-CA-95816/25784683_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/812-Riverside-Dr-APT-22-New-York-NY-10032/97519074_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6-Roosevelt-Ave-Oneonta-NY-13820/31623762_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/166-Cloverly-Rd-Grosse-Pointe-Farms-MI-48236/88548799_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2163-Seminole-St-Detroit-MI-48214/88663428_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/814-Dodge-St-Eau-Claire-WI-54701/68504230_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/641-S-Hanover-St-Carlisle-PA-17013/9233667_zpid/

love the woodwork in this house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-Derry-Rd-Hampstead-NH-03841/86797840_zpid/ you can't actually see the ice box in these photos (it's next to the fridge, see the virtual tour in the listing) but I really like this house + attached barn/workshop. Needs some work but just pulling the carpets up will make a huge difference.

the rear staircase leads directly to the upstairs bath lol

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

I can’t find the ice box in this one!

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m with Anne on the storage bench. Having the toys on display means you have to care about how they look. Better to have drawers that hide the toy clutter and can be repurposed for other uses later. And, if my kids were any indication, emptying drawers is one of their favorite pastimes.

I’d go for a single piece for the cushion. I can’t tell from the picture, but I would definitely want a lip on the bench to keep the cushion from slipping, especially if you think it might be used as a guest bed.

My wife was thinking of buying baskets to fit into the openings to hold the toys. I guess that means the toys aren’t visible anymore. I like the idea of drawers but I’m a bit intimidated about building them to an acceptable level of quality...now we are talking about building custom cabinetry And drawer faces and I have no cabinet building experience.

Definitely would not want to sleep there in the winter, those windows are late 1800s single pane. We do have storms but they aren’t perfect.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Baskets could be a good compromise. But, that said, drawers aren’t that bad to do. It’s just a box with a nice face attached.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

uncloudy day posted:

I can’t find the ice box in this one!

The little door under the window.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Baskets could be a good compromise. But, that said, drawers aren’t that bad to do. It’s just a box with a nice face attached.

Drawers aren't too bad if you have decent drawer hardware. They are less fun with poo poo hardware.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Baskets/bins work well for our kids' toys

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weaved baskets are a nice contrast to white wood, too.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mcgreenvegtables posted:

My wife was thinking of buying baskets to fit into the openings to hold the toys. I guess that means the toys aren’t visible anymore. I like the idea of drawers but I’m a bit intimidated about building them to an acceptable level of quality...now we are talking about building custom cabinetry And drawer faces and I have no cabinet building experience.

Definitely would not want to sleep there in the winter, those windows are late 1800s single pane. We do have storms but they aren’t perfect.

You do wire baskets and then upgrade to something more opaque when/if you want that.

What about doing doors that just look like drawer fronts? That way you get a neater look without having to build drawers which, honestly, I think aren't a good idea for that location anyway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Meneghini make modern luxury versions of these now.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious if anyone has successfully ordered anything from ikea in the US for delivery lately?

Ive checked once a week for the last month and it nor local pickup is available for either of my "local" (90-120mins away) options.

Just trying to determine if this is nation wide or just my region. Especially as I intend to order a kitchen in a few months.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83955202.html

Radical.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Equal parts Dadical!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

falz posted:

Curious if anyone has successfully ordered anything from ikea in the US for delivery lately?

US Ikeas deliver?

gently caress, Australian Ikeas suck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Ive checked once a week for the last month and it nor local pickup is available for either of my "local" (90-120mins away) options.

Just trying to determine if this is nation wide or just my region. Especially as I intend to order a kitchen in a few months.

Had to check back for over a month to find two of the three pieces we wanted available for delivery (60 day turnaround). The third piece just showed up last week as in stock at our "local" one, no option for curbside. Was gonna go pick it up this week, it's back out of stock again.

I think this is national/global.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

US Ikeas deliver?

Shipping from warehouse/distribution. You know, regular online ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

falz posted:

I did, and it was like $50 to deliver but it came from a local store/distributor/whatever