Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Don't you remember the side quest where you help that weirdo track down all 62 static goats in Hyrule for his orgy? The cutscene went on a little long but I thought it was pretty tasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I bought the special addition soundtrack from play Asia, and the BOTW soundtrack is arriving today. I will now “legally” have a lot of great Zelda music. May grab the twilight princess soundtrack as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ravenson posted:

Don't you remember the side quest where you help that weirdo track down all 62 static goats in Hyrule for his orgy? The cutscene went on a little long but I thought it was pretty tasteful.

It was funny how he would get shocked every time he touched a goat, from the static

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Ravenson posted:

What

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I thought the paraglider fabric you get as a reward was really tasteful. They don’t show penetration but they’re both clearly enjoying it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
On that…ahem… “subject”, where is the royal prince/princess in the past? The king and queen appear childless and die that way but the game goes out of its way to make sure you understand Zelda is both of their blood descendants. It’s just exceedingly weird to not have even one scene showing like, a baby in a crib or something.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

galagazombie posted:

On that…ahem… “subject”, where is the royal prince/princess in the past? The king and queen appear childless and die that way but the game goes out of its way to make sure you understand Zelda is both of their blood descendants. It’s just exceedingly weird to not have even one scene showing like, a baby in a crib or something.

Royals tend to be pretty hands-off with parenting, and I guess maybe Zelda just doesn't care much about babies/children? Though she does teach in the Hateno school... I don't know. Maybe the memory tears were just what was important to know about Ganondorf, and the heirs wouldn't be that important for it, I guess. (The sage stories were focused on the battle, of course.)

I just assumed they were off Elsewhere being educated, or something like that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I still think they missed a huge opportunity in not making the Water Temple along the lines of the Underground Waterworks. That part was breathtaking.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I started a new BoTW game essentially out of boredom. The menu navigation isn't as good but overall I think the game has a better aesthetic. I like the music and sound effects better. Shrines look better. The lanscape is a lot nicer without all the upheavel crap cluttered everywhere.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As of tomorrow the game is a full year old! Crazy.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I still think they missed a huge opportunity in not making the Water Temple along the lines of the Underground Waterworks. That part was breathtaking.

Agreed. It was such a letdown when it was just another more elaborate sky island like the wind temple essentially was.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I started a new BoTW game essentially out of boredom. The menu navigation isn't as good but overall I think the game has a better aesthetic. I like the music and sound effects better. Shrines look better. The lanscape is a lot nicer without all the upheavel crap cluttered everywhere.

I had only completed BotW three years ago when total came out instead of six years like most, but this was my impression almost immediately. I think as time goes on, BotW will be the game more remembered as the better experience even if TotK has a lot more video game “stuff” to do.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I also think the runes make for better puzzles. Maybe it's just because I'm not that into building. Now, if you want to make a race car or a giant robot with a flameshooting penis, ToTK is your baby.

Don't get me wrong, ToTK is still great, but I think BoTW is just a slightly better experience.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

I also think the runes make for better puzzles. Maybe it's just because I'm not that into building. Now, if you want to make a race car or a giant robot with a flameshooting penis, ToTK is your baby.

Don't get me wrong, ToTK is still great, but I think BoTW is just a slightly better experience.

They really stuck the ending in ToTK. The end of BoTW was a wet fart by comparison.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

QR Code Geass posted:

They really stuck the ending in ToTK. The end of BoTW was a wet fart by comparison.

I agree with both of these. BoTW is overall a better experience for me but Jesus Christ ToTKs story is so, so much more moving for me. There are lots of emotional highs and lows in Breath, but the amount of tragedy and triumph in Tears is phenomenal.

Also to be honest, the Sheika bike is still more enjoyable to me than any vehicle that I’ve built in Tears.

I think my only “complaint” about Tears’ story is that i wanted so, so much more of the ancient world. I wanted more of Sonia as well as she was such a great character that i feel was taken away from us far too soon.

Edit: the more i think about it i feel like defeating Calamity Gannon was a lot like defeating Gannondorf in the original LoZ on NES. A feeling of accomplishment then “oh that’s it then”.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 12, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also to be honest, the Sheika bike is still more enjoyable to me than any vehicle that I’ve built in Tears.

Constantly having vehicles available is one of the big things that makes Tears more fun to actually play for me. The bike does feel better, since it's an actual distinct vehicle rather than kludged-together parts, but I just can't appreciate it at much as I should since I'm always 98% through my playthrough when I get it. I'd be way more inclined to go back and replay the game if NG+ unlocked it sometime early enough to be useful.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's so funny that they put a faux Master Cycle blueprint into TotK and it's a big clunky piece of poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It does have lasers, which I can 100% get behind. But on the other hand, a Lynel immediately smacked it out of existence upon me testing its attack capabilities, and I never used it again. So who can say which is better, really :shrug:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

It does have lasers, which I can 100% get behind. But on the other hand, a Lynel immediately smacked it out of existence upon me testing its attack capabilities, and I never used it again. So who can say which is better, really :shrug:

It’s so loving funny that they gave Lynels that ability

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah i mean the amazing creativity behind SO MANY of the builds in ToTK is wild to me, in the end i just don’t really care about building weird poo poo. But I’m super glad it’s there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah I appreciate the hell out of all the wild poo poo other people build, but unless there's an explicit & specific objective to accomplish (see: shrines, koroks), I seemingly don't have a single creative bone in my body

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Speaking of Zelda merch, Uniqlo has some TotK t-shirts right now. I snagged the Korok one because it was cute and subtle. The quality is great!

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/spl/ut/zelda

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hearing Impa retell the story of Calamity Ganon makes me wonder about the TotK story.

So Ganon comes back time and again to try to conquer Hyrule - presumably in spirit form, but the whole time his corpse was hibernating right underneath Hyrule Castle waiting for someone to stumble upon him, and that's when we would awaken to his true power? Eh whatever

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hearing Impa retell the story of Calamity Ganon makes me wonder about the TotK story.

So Ganon comes back time and again to try to conquer Hyrule - presumably in spirit form, but the whole time his corpse was hibernating right underneath Hyrule Castle waiting for someone to stumble upon him, and that's when we would awaken to his true power? Eh whatever

Presumably 'dorf creates a Calamity Ganon over a few thousand years as an escape attempt, but the Calamity is too instinctual and animalistic without 'dorf's direct control to understand more than "Zelda bad, Link bad, Castle important".

It knows it needs the castle for some reason, but doesn't get that once it takes the castle it needs to start digging.

Or maybe it does, and the form we kill in the sheikah observatory is meant for digging rather than combat?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that's just one Ganondorf, and there have been others throughout history.

Here is my sequence of events:
Tears of the Kingdom flashbacks - The first ganondorf. The master sword does not exist yet

Minish Cap - The master sword is created

Skyward Sword Manga - war against Demise ends with him imprisoned and hyrulians retreating to the sky

Skyward Sword through every other game occurs, with there being at least two other Ganondorfs born and beginning a reign of evil in this time. The one from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, the one from Zelda, 2, and Link to the Past, and the one from Four Swords Adventures might be another one

Breath of the Wild - Calamity Ganon manifests from Rauru's seal weakening and holds the castle for 100 years while Ganondorf tries to wake up

Tears of the Kingdom modern day

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My daughter (13) tried playing TotK but said it was "too confusing". I get it, there's a lot to the game mechanics plus a much larger world. She is playing BotW instead and enjoying it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SirPablo posted:

My daughter (13) tried playing TotK but said it was "too confusing". I get it, there's a lot to the game mechanics plus a much larger world. She is playing BotW instead and enjoying it.

You have failed as a parent. Now get back in there and tell her to git gud

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think that's just one Ganondorf, and there have been others throughout history.

Tears of the Kingdom flashbacks - The first ganondorf. The master sword does not exist yet

Skyward Sword Manga - war against Demise ends with him imprisoned and hyrulians retreating to the sky

Skyward Sword through every other game occurs, with there being at least two other Ganondorfs born and beginning a reign of evil in this time. The one from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, the one from Zelda, 2, and Link to the Past, and the one from Four Swords Adventures might be another one

Breath of the Wild - Calamity Ganon manifests from Rauru's seal weakening and holds the castle for 100 years while Ganondorf tries to wake up

I'm sorry but this sequence is an affront to the goddess Hylia.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wait, now I can't remember - did discovering Ganondorf cause the Upheavel or was it the Upheavel that led to the discovery of Ganondorf? I think it's the latter.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Boomer alert but it’s wild thinking about what games are like now for kids. When I was my son’s age I was also playing Zelda but I was moving barely identifiable blobs around on a blurry screen with 2 buttons and there was only a story if you read it in the physical manual. The difference in complexity is crazy and they handle it fine.

If anything he struggles when we try to play old NES / SNES games because they are usually so loving hard and inscrutable.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the TotK devs have heavily suggested that everything we see in the Switch games happens after the OG Hyrule from the main series is so wiped out that it's only a legend. Thus, this Ganondorf is at least the third and Rauru is the first king of a new Hyrule built on the ruins of the old.

Of course that means this whole thing has been happening for like 20,000 years which is just honestly depressing that they still can't ever move on.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

Boomer alert but it’s wild thinking about what games are like now for kids. When I was my son’s age I was also playing Zelda but I was moving barely identifiable blobs around on a blurry screen with 2 buttons and there was only a story if you read it in the physical manual. The difference in complexity is crazy and they handle it fine.

If anything he struggles when we try to play old NES / SNES games because they are usually so loving hard and inscrutable.

Games of the original Nintendo generation are insanely hard and unforgiving.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It sucked getting a new Nintendo game and then struggling to get past a very early level

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The good thing about old NES is you could pick up a game and just play it for the most part. One thing that turned me off to modern gaming for a while was going through hours long tutorials just learn basic gameplay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ravenson posted:

I think the TotK devs have heavily suggested that everything we see in the Switch games happens after the OG Hyrule from the main series is so wiped out that it's only a legend. Thus, this Ganondorf is at least the third and Rauru is the first king of a new Hyrule built on the ruins of the old.

Of course that means this whole thing has been happening for like 20,000 years which is just honestly depressing that they still can't ever move on.

That would work too but I like the idea that a time traveled Zelda shifted into a dragon has been flying around low Earth orbit like Rayquaza throughout the entire series

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

on the other hand everything else being before rauru would explain why everyone has forgotten what the triforce is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

During the flashback they all seem to be unaware the master sword exists

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Basically any time I play anything SMW or older I ask myself repeatedly how the gently caress we ever beat any of these games as kids

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Games of the original Nintendo generation are insanely hard and unforgiving.

Yeah for sure. In college we had a pile of old consoles and sometimes we’d get motivated to beat Mario 2 or Mega Man or something. Usually we’d fail (to be fair we were often turbo drunk when this sounded like a good idea which didn’t help). My friend spent several months beating Bad Dudes and the only two buttons are jump and punch. A lot of those old games came down to memorizing every single threat that was going to come at you over the next several hours and how to respond to each one.

The good thing about old NES is you could pick up a game and just play it for the most part. One thing that turned me off to modern gaming for a while was going through hours long tutorials just learn basic gameplay.

I’ve bounced off some big games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 because as a busy adult I might take several weeks between sessions. Then I come back and I have zero memory of what I was doing or what build I was working toward or what all this poo poo in my inventory was for. So I say gently caress it cause I don’t want to spend several hours just getting back in the groove. Totk was incredible for this because despite the infinity things to do they are all pretty straightforward and the order doesn’t matter. You can pick your save up after a month, or even someone else’s save, and just start playing.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Easy to pick up, difficult to master. I was 3 when I started playing games. I was bad at them but there was enough interesting things about where I could go that it allowed me to get better. Issue about new games is that some buttons are contextual and assume you already know the layout of the controller. Being able to run in sonic and jump with one button and figuring out momentum becomes a game of it's own.

Going back to Zelda, movement and hit stuff with sword. You could go pretty far around the map just exploring and dicking around. I'm not sure if you could in any modern ones because of all the dialogue you are expected to read, understand, and apply.

In many ways I see breath of the wild /tears of the kingdom retelling skyward sword in more meaningful ways. The game itself is different (many mechanics did make it from ss though) but the telling of a greedy god-like warlord going up to an ancient Civilization and demanding complete subjugation, if not just outright death. Hylia loses her godlike power and dies. The warlord is then placed in a prison awaiting its escape.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s painfully obvious that TotK is the Zelda team revisiting everything they wanted to do in SS and couldn’t because of the Wii’s hardware. Fujibayashi has straight-up said this was the case at least with seamlessly diving from the sky to the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Docjowles posted:

I’ve bounced off some big games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 because as a busy adult I might take several weeks between sessions. Then I come back and I have zero memory of what I was doing or what build I was working toward or what all this poo poo in my inventory was for. So I say gently caress it cause I don’t want to spend several hours just getting back in the groove. Totk was incredible for this because despite the infinity things to do they are all pretty straightforward and the order doesn’t matter. You can pick your save up after a month, or even someone else’s save, and just start playing.

Dragon Quest XI did something small but actually really amazing for dealing with this; which was every time you loaded a save, you got a small “here’s the story so far!” skippable update on the latest story beats you did. And because of that, DQ11 is about the only RPG I have successfully loaded up after a few months and was able to get back into that same save file without just starting over.