Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Who makes the best anti fog spray?

I realize that a pin lock would be preferable but just roll with me here.

Not surprisingly the Harley-Davidson dealership I stopped at looked at me like I had three heads when I asked for such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SimonCat posted:

Who makes the best anti fog spray?

I realize that a pin lock would be preferable but just roll with me here.

Not surprisingly the Harley-Davidson dealership I stopped at looked at me like I had three heads when I asked for such a thing.

I use Cat Crap, which works ok.

The thing that works better is washing the visor by hand with dilute dish soap and then very gently rinsing it off and letting it air dry. Don't buff.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I use Cat Crap, which works ok.

The thing that works better is washing the visor by hand with dilute dish soap and then very gently rinsing it off and letting it air dry. Don't buff.

Well my kitty is probably going to look at me strange, but I'll give it a shot...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

I got a visor with a transition tint last weekend, and today marks the third day I thought, "better hurry, looks like it's about to rain," after a bright day suddenly got darker. I might be too dumb to ride.

What helmet/visor? I'm in the market for a new helmet, and a transitions visor is high on my list of must haves.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Shoei RF-1200. Great helmet, but I think I remember hearing it's due for a refresh soon. Shield at this link. I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have a bunch of store credit accumulated. So far, it's been pretty great, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Professor Wayne posted:

Shoei RF-1200. Great helmet, but I think I remember hearing it's due for a refresh soon. Shield at this link. I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have a bunch of store credit accumulated. So far, it's been pretty great, though.
As I'm looking at an RF-1200 for my first helmet shortly, where'd you hear its due for a refresh?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That's a good question, I have no idea. Not finding anything on google.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Idk if it's a refresh, but a new model is coming out. I like the orange.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-sr-helmet-solid

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
That looks like a replacement for the Quest, not the RF-1200.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/shoeis-new-for-2017-rf-sr-helmet

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah it's a qwest replacement. Shoei will probably come out with some new graphics and clearance out older ones, but the 1200 isn't going anywhere.
That said, you should be able to use that transition shield on the X-14, if memory serves.

E: not a lot of helmets come with transition shields or have them available. The Bell Qualifier DLX comes with a transition shield. I talked to Bell earlier this week, and they said the transition for the Star was delayed until late June to early July.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

its all nice on rice posted:

Yeah it's a qwest replacement. Shoei will probably come out with some new graphics and clearance out older ones, but the 1200 isn't going anywhere.
That said, you should be able to use that transition shield on the X-14, if memory serves.

E: not a lot of helmets come with transition shields or have them available. The Bell Qualifier DLX comes with a transition shield. I talked to Bell earlier this week, and they said the transition for the Star was delayed until late June to early July.

Is there a new model of Star using a different shield? The custom fit program Stars come with Transitions shields, and I thought they were available for the standard models too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The standard stars have a transition shield, but they re not available until that time frame, per the rep I talked to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the Bell Qualifier DLX? It gets a 3 sharp rating presumably because of that Bluetooth comm pocket.

E: I'm basically down to that, the HJC rpha ST and the shark d-skwal

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Having tried it on in store, I like the fit and feel. The transition shield is pretty nice. It's light and feels solid, but is still a plastic helmet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have recommendations on a good textile jacket and perforated leather gloves for summer riding in the midwest (temps in high 80s-low 90s, high humidity)? Looking to upgrade from an Olympia mesh jacket and an Olympia mesh 1-piece suit that fits like a trash bag. Current gloves are a pair of Revit short short cuff gloves, don't remember the model, that are a bit short in the fingers and have a carbon knuckle protector that occasionally digs into my hands.

6' 185lbs, 16 1/2 35 shirt size, 32" waist in jeans, athletic build. I'd rather not have a baggy American fit. Upright riding position. Should I just suck it up and buy a Roadcrafter Lite?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jazzzzz posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a good textile jacket and perforated leather gloves for summer riding in the midwest (temps in high 80s-low 90s, high humidity)? Looking to upgrade from an Olympia mesh jacket and an Olympia mesh 1-piece suit that fits like a trash bag. Current gloves are a pair of Revit short short cuff gloves, don't remember the model, that are a bit short in the fingers and have a carbon knuckle protector that occasionally digs into my hands.

6' 185lbs, 16 1/2 35 shirt size, 32" waist in jeans, athletic build. I'd rather not have a baggy American fit. Upright riding position. Should I just suck it up and buy a Roadcrafter Lite?

I still like my dainese air frame I bought 2 years ago: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket

It's short cut but it's cool when you're moving but in georgia summer (95 and 80% humidity) I still sweat buckets so idk. It has a lot of textile panels rather than just straight mesh, it has mesh in all the proper airflow spots though.

It's also held together after being crashed in numerous times offroad and on road

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got my closeout Dainese Laguna Seca EVO Perforated Race Suit in from Revzilla. Size 50 tall, I'm 6'1", 170.

Fits like a second skin. Standing up is a little unkind on my balls, but it's perfect on the bike. Arms and legs are great. Minimal extra material around the mid section.

Unfortunately, I don't have a strap/non-insert style back protector to try on with it and I'm unsure if one will fit. Maybe once the suit has broken in and if the back protector is on the thinner side?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is the Bell Qualifier DLX? It gets a 3 sharp rating presumably because of that Bluetooth comm pocket.

E: I'm basically down to that, the HJC rpha ST and the shark d-skwal

3 star SHARP seems to be more or less equivalent to ACU Gold Star (so good for track use) so I wouldn't worry too much about it if all other factors push you towards it

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm looking to get some new boots. How do the Icon DKR compare to everyone's favorite Forma Lows? I like the idea of the extra ankle protection, but since it's Icon, I'm curious if it's actually well made. There were a few reviews from when it came out saying the pivot point screw would fall out.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
After 2 years and well over 30k on my orange AFX DS Hi Viz Orange helmet, I'm due for a new helmet. After looking around a bit and not finding a helmet that matched the features and fitment, I just noticed the graphic version is on sale at Revzilla for $136. This is a steal, so I snagged another one.

I really love this helmet! :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How much noise and head-yanking does that visor introduce? I'm just thinking of riding with an MX helmet on the highway and it sounds like torture

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The visor is the first thing I remove. Without it, it's quieter by far than the AGV K3 I had, with less head yanking. Not a big deal even in triple digits. I still need earplugs on the highway, because it's not an arai or schuberth or something. It's been an amazing helmet for me, though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

The visor is the first thing I remove. Without it, it's quieter by far than the AGV K3 I had, with less head yanking. Not a big deal even in triple digits. I still need earplugs on the highway, because it's not an arai or schuberth or something. It's been an amazing helmet for me, though.

Are you saying those helmet brands are so great you don't even need earplugs?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, they are substantially quieter due to all sorts of spergy stuff like designing them in a wind tunnel, and materials. This is part of why they cost 7x more than my AFX.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How much noise and head-yanking does that visor introduce? I'm just thinking of riding with an MX helmet on the highway and it sounds like torture

It's fine if you keep your head forward and wear earplugs, but if you turn at speed it gets caught in the wind and torques your neck around. You also get used to it, so there's that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that helmet is noisy as gently caress and p jerky at speeds over 80....but so is any other motocross helmet. But it does its job.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Are you saying those helmet brands are so great you don't even need earplugs?

You should be wearing ear plugs regardless of what helmet you have. Schuberth is the only manufacturer that releases decibel level ratings for their helmets AFAIK, and they're still around 85db at highway speeds, which is enough to cause hearing loss with extended exposure

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Coydog posted:

After 2 years and well over 30k on my orange AFX DS Hi Viz Orange helmet, I'm due for a new helmet. After looking around a bit and not finding a helmet that matched the features and fitment, I just noticed the graphic version is on sale at Revzilla for $136. This is a steal, so I snagged another one.

I really love this helmet! :D

I just bought some of these stickers from some dude on Reddit. Looks similar to your helmet!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

that helmet is noisy as gently caress and p jerky at speeds over 80....but so is any other motocross helmet. But it does its job.

I didn't know you'd had one, but you'd have a similar perspective since you ride a similar bike. I don't notice the noise like you did. The AGV was shreaky as gently caress, though, and I'm sure the more expensive brands are much quieter.

The massive field of view is something I appreciate every day, so I'm stuck with ADV helmets for a while. Plus I do impromptu dual sporty things, so it really is a perfect helmet for me.

Odette posted:

I just bought some of these stickers from some dude on Reddit. Looks similar to your helmet!

Thanks for reminding me! Could you tell me where to get that? I meant to pick one up because A) It looked like my helmet :D and 2) It speaks me on a deep and personal level.

Jazzzzz posted:

You should be wearing ear plugs regardless of what helmet you have. Schuberth is the only manufacturer that releases decibel level ratings for their helmets AFAIK, and they're still around 85db at highway speeds, which is enough to cause hearing loss with extended exposure

But how will I hear the cagers sneaking up on me and react with my cat-like reflexes?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Coydog posted:

Thanks for reminding me! Could you tell me where to get that? I meant to pick one up because A) It looked like my helmet :D and 2) It speaks me on a deep and personal level.

There's a PayPal link in this thread somewhere.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Owns. Just picked 2 up, thanks!!!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I didn't know you'd had one, but you'd have a similar perspective since you ride a similar bike. I don't notice the noise like you did. The AGV was shreaky as gently caress, though, and I'm sure the more expensive brands are much quieter.

Yup. I ran it into the earth face first at warp 7.5. the snout caved, but i had no concussion.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My shoei is pretty quiet, but what that actually means is I'm happy to putter to the shops without plugs along residential streets for less than five minutes each way, because it isolates outside noise fairly well (to the point where talking to myself inside the helmet is more deafening and ear-ring-inducing than engine or road noise), but I wouldn't dream of going on the motorway without plugs because the wind noise produced by buffeting around vents and such is horrifyingly loud. Those noises are being made on and in the helmet, the only way you're getting away without plugs at those speeds is going full tuck behind a touring screen so that no wind is hitting your head.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Worth remembering that helmet noise isn't just down to design but also down to the shape of your head vs the helmet design and the closeness of the fit between the two.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There is no helmet (that I know of) that is naturally quiet enough that you can get away with not using earplugs.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have a ludicrously priced Shoei too, and it definitely requires plugs.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Plugs+sena speakers = podcasts while riding

Anyways I just ordered AGV willow perf. leather pants, hopefully they don't suck!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Gear purchased. tell me where/if I screwed up. I'll do a different set of gear for track usage. These will be for 2/3 season hot in NorCal.

Shoei RF-1200 Helmet
Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Alpinestars Ramjet Air Pants
Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1i Back Protector Insert
Alpinestars SP Air Gloves
Alpinestars Roam 2 Air Boots

I guess I'm an A* whore too. :)
I'll pick up a Sena unit at some point. Maybe a transition face shield, too.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Looks good.

Transition shield is dope.

To be completely honest, everything I've ever purchased from Alpinestars has fit perfectly out of the box and I have always gotten my money's worth. You'll also feel a lot better if you lose it/it gets damaged versus anything from Dainese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Just spent twenty minutes haranguing a Revzilla gear geek to get some good recommendations for summer jacket + riding jeans + new helmet. Unfortunately on the helmet side it sounds like my freakish dome has me pigeonholed into Arai :smith:

They fit great for me, but their price points are ridiculous, the shield change is better than it was but still isn't as easy as it should be, they look like space helmets... I'm tempted to just buy an RF-1200 and use a spoon to slightly deform the foam up front to make a couple extra mm of room.