Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
See, that's what you get for using shoddy fundamental analysis. Losers!

But HOS is still doing fine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

tentish klown posted:

FML I sold out of TDW yesterday as they cratered at the beginning of the day.
Would you rather be the idiot who sold too soon and only made 25%, or the idiot who got greedy and lost it all by holding too long?

Every day brings a hundred missed opportunities. Don't worry about them.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nephzinho posted:

No one ever went broke locking in profit.

This is the truth. No one should ignore the human aspect. We're loss averse. Losing hurts more than winning feels good. Take your wins where you can and be happy. You won't (or shouldn't) lose sleep over getting 20% gains vs 30%.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

See, that's what you get for using shoddy fundamental analysis. Losers!

But HOS is still doing fine...

:coal:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

District Selectman posted:

This is the truth. No one should ignore the human aspect. We're loss averse. Losing hurts more than winning feels good. Take your wins where you can and be happy. You won't (or shouldn't) lose sleep over getting 20% gains vs 30%.

Yeah, don't be like me who has watched himself go from up over 30% to up 9% on PBF in like two weeks :cry:

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Disposition effect actually does imply that a lot of investors lose money thanks to loss aversion. Not that its clear how to resolve this, and it definitely seems like active trading has paid off for some people itt.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

semicolonsrock posted:

Disposition effect actually does imply that a lot of investors lose money thanks to loss aversion. Not that its clear how to resolve this, and it definitely seems like active trading has paid off for some people itt.

Survivor bias. For everyone posting in here there's 39 who went bust.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I wish I had gotten in to HOS and TDW when Arkane announced it, but I held off and jumped in right when most everyone here was jumping out. I plan on holding long term and see where it goes.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 15, 2015

hike
Apr 27, 2008
Still in on TDW and HOS

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

hike posted:

Still in on TDW and HOS

Out of TDW, holding out for one more up day on HOS before tightening my stops.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I have around $15k in my brokerage fund after getting out from under a financial advisor. I've already maxed IRAs for 2014 and 2015 for both my wife and I. I'd like to put that $15k into something that will have a decent balance between risk and maintaining the principal so that if I need to buy a new car in the next two or three years (or more, hopefully) that would help with the cost. I'd rather keep with ETFs and as such VFICX looks fairly solid. My concern as a newbie - given the likelihood of interest rates going up within the next year or sooner, and VFICX's focus on bonds approaching maturity, would that put a hurt on the 2/3-year performance? Should I be looking at different factors in my research?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That is likely a question for the long term investing thread rather than the gamble zone thread.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I will take it there, then. Thanks!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Margin trade on alibaba

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Put it all in coal, fuel of the future.

hike
Apr 27, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Put it all in coal, fuel of the future.

Haha, surprisingly they're trying to push back on the epa.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My best investment advise to MJP is don't buy a new car!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a cop posted:

I should have sold my anr at 1.07....

it's baaaaaack

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I'm in for a little on GMLP. If you like the sound of the word "Solar", but your heart says "Gas", why not Golar? They were a slightly better deal yesterday, but I think they're a good deal at 10-20% higher than they're trading.

Here's the quick shoddy: They do floating storage and regasification units (FSRUs) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers. They've got a good base of long term contracts and ships, good growth prospects (I think the services they offer are going to be a good fit for a lot more odd places over the short to medium term), and I like their overall management direction (though the high dividend is kind of gibbly).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Phenomenal day today. This year is pretty unreal. Happy that the HOS/TDW bros made out too.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
I hate that HOS has run-up so quickly. My gut is telling me to take some profits on my +33% position, but I got into the stock looking for +50%.

So gently caress it boys, posting here to hold myself accountable so I don't vag-out.

The Jax
May 15, 2004
Is anyone else in SDRL? It's up 35% since I recommended it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oil servicers in general have been doing insanely great. See: TDW, HOS.

Also hooray for INTC

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Jax posted:

Is anyone else in SDRL? It's up 35% since I recommended it.

Was not, but great call.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

DNova posted:

it's baaaaaack

Now I want to hold until their meeting in a month..

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

caberham posted:

Margin trade on alibaba
Probably better off with ANR, short and long term.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Now I want to hold until their meeting in a month..

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but it's probably worth doing a quick thought exercise just to confirm your reasoning.

If you were out, or hadn't ever bought, would you buy in at this price?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Out of TDW, holding out for one more up day on HOS before tightening my stops.

Annnnnd tightening those stops. Shame I dropped those TDW, though, it was a significantly larger position than HOS.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Maybe Arcam will get back to where it was in early March now :toot:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
NFLX current valuation is over $500 per subscriber.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Etsy IPO started at $16 a share ($1.78B valuation), and instantly popped to $31. Peaked at over $35. Currently trading just below $30.

How mad should ETSY be that its IPO was evidently underpriced by close to 100%? I assume the big traders who actually get to access IPO shares at the moment of opening trading are the ones who pocket $14 a share on this deal.

Also, any opinions on Etsy? Is it really worth $4B?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

jmzero posted:

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but it's probably worth doing a quick thought exercise just to confirm your reasoning.

If you were out, or hadn't ever bought, would you buy in at this price?

Maybe.

e: I have considered this, long and deeply......and I would not.

I'm out...................,ugh! WHAT DO I BUY TO MAKE MONEY? EASY MONEY??

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 16, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I've done a lot of analysis, done a lot of good, hard analysis, crunched some numbers: and I believe that ATHX is prime to explode! Get in while you can boys!! I can't post my actual analysis because of my job but believe me!!

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Maybe Arcam will get back to where it was in early March now :toot:

Best of luck; I'd been meaning to get into 3d printing for a while and followed you in at 18.00 even.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
playing the ipo game is suicide imo especially if u dont have access to the underwriting shares

also if you are an investor who tends to sell at the first hint of a downtick that is 99% likely bc you are not doing enough of your own analysis. develop a system, stick to it in every situation. dont bet outside your system, refine the system if need be, but make it thorough and you will do better. its honestly very simple but ppl tend to do what the "next big thing" is and lose money bc of it. the less leg work goes into your own buys the quicker you will be to jump out. if you really liked tdw, and really thought it was going to hit at least 30 or whatever, you should have bought MORE during a down tick not sold immediately or w.e. and when you do have a system its also easier to not have the whole "oh shoot i missed out on this trade" mentality bc you get used to using it i think. for example i read this thread to help generate ideas and looked @ tdw at work, it didnt fit our metrics so it was scrapped pretty quickly and though it may make money i dont really care and am happy for the ppl that do make money on it.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Etsy IPO started at $16 a share ($1.78B valuation), and instantly popped to $31. Peaked at over $35. Currently trading just below $30.

How mad should ETSY be that its IPO was evidently underpriced by close to 100%? I assume the big traders who actually get to access IPO shares at the moment of opening trading are the ones who pocket $14 a share on this deal.

Also, any opinions on Etsy? Is it really worth $4B?

Low float makes shorting impossible and jacks things up. See GPRO.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

I've done a lot of analysis, done a lot of good, hard analysis, crunched some numbers: and I believe that ATHX is prime to explode! Get in while you can boys!! I can't post my actual analysis because of my job but believe me!!

gently caress it I'm dumb and am going to blow 10k on this

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

caberham posted:

gently caress it I'm dumb and am going to blow 10k on this

:mrgw:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

a cop posted:

I was in athx at 3 last week, thinking it might have a nice run up to their announcement. I let half my position go when it was falling through 2.50. I feel I can gamble with the other half.

I'm writing this a lesson to myself when this crashes and burns on Monday: There is no way they can present bad data at a big conference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

meanolmrcloud posted:

I was in athx at 3 last week, thinking it might have a nice run up to their announcement. I let half my position go when it was falling through 2.50. I feel I can gamble with the other half.

I'm writing this a lesson to myself when this crashes and burns on Monday: There is no way they can present bad data at a big conference!

didn't even have to wait until monday!