Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I think my blue belt is defective. It didn't make me any better by wearing it.

On the other hand though I went back and forth pretty evenly with a white belt who outweighs me by a solid 75 pounds and has been training almost a 9 months so I've at least learned something.

As they say, the belt only covers a few inches above your rear end, you've got to provide the rest :v:

Seriously though, I know for a fact that you're a lot better than you think, the next time a brand new person is in the gym, have a roll with them, and see how you stack up against someone who's just starting - you'll quickly realize that you know a lot more than you can articulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

It's generally not in a coach's best interest to promote people if they don't deserve it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Neon Belly posted:

It's generally not in a coach's best interest to promote people if they don't deserve it.

Oh jesus I just got your name

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

I think some of these guys don't realize when I'm being a nice guy so it's nice to remind them that I can be an absolute savage too.

What do you think your regular intensity is, expressed as a percentage? I think I’m mostly around 40% with bursts up to about 70% when I need to escape a bad spot or surprise someone. I usually don’t feel any soreness or anything for the rest of the day, and I don’t get tired often.

But I wonder if maybe I’m limiting my development by not going completely apeshit occasionally.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What do you think your regular intensity is, expressed as a percentage? I think I’m mostly around 40% with bursts up to about 70% when I need to escape a bad spot or surprise someone. I usually don’t feel any soreness or anything for the rest of the day, and I don’t get tired often.

But I wonder if maybe I’m limiting my development by not going completely apeshit occasionally.

I've been so lazy for so long, I don't even know what 100% even looks like.

:negative:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Same.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

How long are your guys sparring rounds? At my new home gym we do 8 minute rounds, I'm back up at my old gym for the weekend and we are just doing 5 minute rounds. Such a big difference in how my rolls feel.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

How long are your guys sparring rounds? At my new home gym we do 8 minute rounds, I'm back up at my old gym for the weekend and we are just doing 5 minute rounds. Such a big difference in how my rolls feel.

Depends on who is teaching typically. Either 5, 6 or 7 min rounds. When I trained at Sergio's they do at least 10 minute rounds.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I've been struggling to make it to class more than 2x per week for the past six months or so and was joking to a training partner that I feel like I have to roll 100% to hit what would have been 60% a year ago.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Enter a competition.

That's your 100%

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Enter a competition.

That's your 100%

Done that, got the gold medal. It's just been so long ago.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am so loving pissed off right now. Was doing Judo and this guy spazzed out during sparring and basically threw me as hard as he could and drove his shoulder right into my collar as I landed because he had no control. It hurts like a bitch but thankfully he didnt break anything or hurt the joint.

I am gonna try to take it not too seriously but there is a part of me that just wants to choke the poo poo out of him next roll. I wont because it would be lovely and toxic, but God I am so pissed. Every time we spar in Judo he always treats it like a match and I am probably just gonna avoid him.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Neon Belly posted:

True, but the white belt whose been going to your gym for a month can also be a former Sambo instructor and the purple belt may be coming off a 2 year hiatus.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 8, 2019

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am so loving pissed off right now. Was doing Judo and this guy spazzed out during sparring and basically threw me as hard as he could and drove his shoulder right into my collar as I landed because he had no control. It hurts like a bitch but thankfully he didnt break anything or hurt the joint.

I am gonna try to take it not too seriously but there is a part of me that just wants to choke the poo poo out of him next roll. I wont because it would be lovely and toxic, but God I am so pissed. Every time we spar in Judo he always treats it like a match and I am probably just gonna avoid him.

So much this. I’ve got a NoGi guy that’s transitioning from luta libre to bjj rules and is hyper snazzy and throws on face cranks and is hyper aggressive about pulling on arm bars and kimuras. I’m currently out of commission for the next few days because of it.

He apologized and realizes it’s a problem, but apparently it’s been a hard problem to break for him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, the more I think about it the more pissed off I get

Our sparring is like 60% effort max, and its really just about learning to get the positioning and find openings. Most of the guys who stay for Judo class don't even throw each other when they spar. They just get to the point they have the guy off his feet and reset. Everytime I have gone against this guy he is 100% dedicated to trying to straight up throw me.

Like, I replayed in my head what happened and it was such absolute bullshit on his part. He went for a Seoi-Nage, didn't get it, and instead of giving up or reseting, he straight up fell to his knees, grabbed my sleeves with both hands and tugged me over his shoulder with all his strength. I land hard and he drives his weight right into my collar bone. It just pisses me off because there was no reason to go that hard, especially on a botched move. Like, he didn't learn how to do the move better. All he did was get a minor victory in sparring match. If I ever get paired up with him again I will probably just explain to him that I think he's going too hard and he needs to chill out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

True, but the white belt whose been going to your gym for a month can also be a former Sambo instructor and the purple belt may be coming off a 2 year hiatus.

This so much.

I was rolling with a white belt I didn't recognize and later found out he's a 1st degree black belt in Judo.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He went for a Seoi-Nage, didn't get it, and instead of giving up or reseting, he straight up fell to his knees, grabbed my sleeves with both hands and tugged me over his shoulder with all his strength. I land hard and he drives his weight right into my collar bone. It just pisses me off because there was no reason to go that hard, especially on a botched move.

That is totally a move, though. The weight in the collar bone thing is bad but drop seoi is 100% a thing and it doesn't work without commitment.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I ever get paired up with him again I will probably just explain to him that I think he's going too hard and he needs to chill out.

This is the problem right here, going again. Judo is stupid and injury prone. Get a half decent double and single leg, you're way ahead and spend the rest of the time doing fun grappling.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

That is totally a move, though. The weight in the collar bone thing is bad but drop seoi is 100% a thing and it doesn't work without commitment.

Well yeah, my issue is more that the move was done poorly because he tried to strength over his mistakes during a practice match. Like, if he had injured me because he hosed up when trying to do the move correctly, I probably wouldn't be mad because poo poo happens. Its like somebody injured your elbow because they immediately crank on a poorly done armbar rather than do the armbar right.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is the problem right here, going again. Judo is stupid and injury prone. Get a half decent double and single leg, you're way ahead and spend the rest of the time doing fun grappling.

I have 3 years of Judo before I ever started doing BJJ.

I pull guard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hellblazer187 posted:

I have 3 years of Judo before I ever started doing BJJ.

I pull guard.

I do sometimes wonder why out of 20+ guys who show up for BJJ only like, four of us stick around for Judo

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Seriously though, I know for a fact that you're a lot better than you think, the next time a brand new person is in the gym, have a roll with them, and see how you stack up against someone who's just starting - you'll quickly realize that you know a lot more than you can articulate.

This is so true. We had a new guy show up to class a couple weeks ago, he was talking a lot about how he learned to fight ~on the streets~ and that this would be easy for him. I let him start in side control since we were working side control that week and it was pathetically easy to sweep and submit him. I just practiced the armbar we'd learned in fundamentals class over and over on him.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I live in Miami any preliminary goon interest in a meetup to attend or watch UFC FTL? Yoel just got booked into it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I generally go 20% to 50%. I love trying out new stuff and experimenting. I only go higher if someone asks or I need to match someone's intensity. Odddzy and decades have rolled with me so they can give a third party view.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Today we did king of the hill situational sparring and I was king of my hill (there were four little hills going on at once) the entire round. Great success.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

double post

heeebrew fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 8, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

welp, good news is collarbone isnt broken, just a medium level sprain.

Still out six weeks and on a fuckton of motrin :smith:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

welp, good news is collarbone isnt broken, just a medium level sprain.

Still out six weeks and on a fuckton of motrin :smith:

gently caress :/

Is there like, a coach there to be able to tell the guy to calm down?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

gently caress :/

Is there like, a coach there to be able to tell the guy to calm down?

Yeah, unfortunately he was watching another pair when it happened. I am not sure if its cool to report the guy to the coach without at least talking to the guy first about it, so the coach probablu assumes it was just a bad fall

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, unfortunately he was watching another pair when it happened. I am not sure if its cool to report the guy to the coach without at least talking to the guy first about it, so the coach probablu assumes it was just a bad fall

I think it's extremely good to talk to the coach about it. Coach isn't police and guy doesn't go to judo jail. I wouldn't start with "this motherfucker broke my shoulder" but "hey, I think he's doing the thing where he treats randori like competition, keep your eye out for that"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think it's extremely good to talk to the coach about it. Coach isn't police and guy doesn't go to judo jail. I wouldn't start with "this motherfucker broke my shoulder" but "hey, I think he's doing the thing where he treats randori like competition, keep your eye out for that"

He probably should go to judo jail, if he's a menace to his training partners. :colbert:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Xand_Man posted:

mariooncrack posted:

This so much.

I was rolling with a white belt I didn't recognize and later found out he's a 1st degree black belt in Judo.

It's perfectly normal to introduce yourself and say "so, how long you been training with us? do any sports before this?" and then they answer and you say "ok cool" and go from there.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 8, 2019

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

It's perfectly normal to introduce yourself and say "so, how long you been training with us? do any sports before this?" and then they answer and you say "ok cool" and go from there.

I find this important to do when visiting gyms. Never know who you'll get, especially in no gi.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I just roll at like 20% intensity and match ppl's ability up to my maximum threshold of 21%

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Neon Belly posted:

My mama always said rolling nogi is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get. I remember dropping in at another school somewhere and rolling with two guys back to back - one ended up being a really big green belt and the other was a pro MMA fighter who was also a brown belt. Fortunately I had a nice friendly roll with the green belt so when I paired up with the brown belt the smashing was gentle and loving, not retributive.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What you want to do is tell people you just want to flow roll, then immediately shoot a blast double, declare victory, and run out into the street

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What you want to do is tell people you just want to flow roll, then immediately shoot a blast double, declare victory, and run out into the street

If Charlie Zelenoff did Jiu Jitsu.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I got absolutely crushed by a ~275lb black belt today in open mat today, but.........I was able to fight my way out from under him! Im trying pretty hard to really get my hips engaged from bottom, and look for times where he transitions to a new position and space opens up. Im learning thats my opportunity to move and take advantage. Im really horrible from the bottom, but I am getting better :D

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

If Charlie Zelenoff did Jiu Jitsu.

My man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

When I roll with my old professor, who's a 230lb black belt, there is no escaping side control until he decides to let you free.