Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I mean, I'm only 33, but I have a lot of gray. Where that gets weird is that this fall I'm going back to school full time and the few visits I've made to the university get me all sorts of funny looks from the kids walking around the campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Going to college when you're older than 20 is always a weird experience.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I turn 30 in less than a week and I can't grow a lovely Moustache. Hair is still lush and dark, tho. If I didn't have the most wonderful lady and something resembling morals I could go straight up "Hey Nineteen" on this town.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean, I'm only 33, but I have a lot of gray. Where that gets weird is that this fall I'm going back to school full time and the few visits I've made to the university get me all sorts of funny looks from the kids walking around the campus.

hahaha. Yeah. I go to a very large uni as a grad student and the professional / liberal arts departments are largely isolated from the class room parts of campus. Being a CLA student, it is constantly a culture shock when I have to venture to, say, the student center.

Our part of campus has better food (read: is in a more diverse area without any chains) but luckily for us the "diverseness" keeps the undergrads away.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
My oldest employee is 70, and he is a loving champion!

He's asked to be allowed to play golf every Monday - he is technically a senior citizen.. I told him yes, and then I gave him a program to run in Brazil, because gently caress golf.

So now he's saving his spare days for summer, and taking his girlfriend to Brazil.

Yeah...

Also - have send him to Copenhagen 2 days a week, because his grandkids are there, and he might as well enjoy them a bit.

That is how I wanna be when I am 70...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Getting old talk aside, we slaughtered two goats and a sheep today. My freezer was getting very low so I am very excited. Just in time to do lots of chops on the grill for summer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

I turn 30 in less than a week and I can't grow a lovely Moustache. Hair is still lush and dark, tho. If I didn't have the most wonderful lady and something resembling morals I could go straight up "Hey Nineteen" on this town.

I lost my hair young (thanks, Oupa!), but can grow a decent beard (thanks, Judaism!), which I tend to keep between short and long stubble length.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You grey haired dweebs.

I never have much to post here in the chat thread, but I got lovely news. I got fired after nearly 5 years working the food side of a fancy grocery store. poo poo sucks, especially since I only got fired because this one young lady's baby's father got fired for eating in the kitchen. And she bitched to management for me doing the same thing. Oh well, their loss and all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Beards rule, shaved head+beard is the best though.

In other news, I am at my first ever huge rear end music festival (working) and it is just as awful as I though they would be. How do people enjoy these things? I also get to live in a bus with 5 other dudes, get lovely drunk every night and grill. Which is all good but man I would kill to use a real toilet right now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bunnielab posted:

How do people enjoy these things?

Acid/weed/mdma?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bunnielab posted:

Beards rule, shaved head+beard is the best though.

In other news, I am at my first ever huge rear end music festival (working) and it is just as awful as I though they would be. How do people enjoy these things? I also get to live in a bus with 5 other dudes, get lovely drunk every night and grill. Which is all good but man I would kill to use a real toilet right now.

Which one?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

Which one?

Stagecoach, then Hangout, then EDC, then I don't know, like three more.

And I think drugs would make it worse. On the bright side, the audio guy used to be a cook and is still super into it and the producer loves food too so our bus is loving stocked.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It depends on the festival. Bonnaroo and Cochella and SXSW were super loving chill wandering around and smoking weed or mildly tripping. I would not wanna be high or tripping at like, Lollapalooza or an EDM thing though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bunnielab posted:

Stagecoach, then Hangout, then EDC, then I don't know, like three more.

And I think drugs would make it worse. On the bright side, the audio guy used to be a cook and is still super into it and the producer loves food too so our bus is loving stocked.

I live on the other side of I-10 from the polo grounds. Have fun with the cowboy boots and daisy dukes!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Lemme know if you come out for night in the country this year, then. We'll go have a hell of a time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

I live on the other side of I-10 from the polo grounds. Have fun with the cowboy boots and daisy dukes!

Hah, yeh. I am currently sitting in a sea container, in a hammock, with earplugs in. I am old I guess.

Wiggles, I don't see that one on my schedule but idk what we are really going to do, they keep moving dates around. All this is moving towards be being able to take all of July off so I am just riding the wave.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Hah, yeh. I am currently sitting in a sea container, in a hammock, with earplugs in. I am old I guess.

Wiggles, I don't see that one on my schedule but idk what we are really going to do, they keep moving dates around. All this is moving towards be being able to take all of July off so I am just riding the wave.

Do you get a chance to get out and explore the valley at all?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

Do you get a chance to get out and explore the valley at all?

Nope, live in a bus on site and it is a huge pain to leave. We pretty much work all day as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Indio always makes me feel less bad about living in Riverside

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I started balding at 25, so I have been shaving my head for years. 33 now, and rocking a full beard. It is showing signs of grey and I kind of dig it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Okay, need you all to put on your thinking caps.

One of my wife's duties is to manage the county 4H program, and traditionally one of their big fundraisers has been to run a concession stand at the county fair. Traditionally they sold hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, beer, etc, and they did really well. However, since the university decided that they couldn't have minors selling beer they've only been doing the burgers and stuff, and sales have suffered in the face of all the other really good food one can get at the fair. So they need to come up with something unique and delicious to draw in the hungry crowds and make more money for the program. Good Mexican, BBQ, fried food, and Indian food (that's Paiute, not Chennai) is already available, so can't do those. The booth has a couple of big flat grills and refridgeration, but that's about it for equipment. Any ideas?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

crepes?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, here at the state fairs, the longest and most popular places seem to be the ones that sell the roasted corn on the cob, with butter or parmesan butter. I have even seen several small stands that do nothing but roasted corn on the cob and drinks, and the line wraps around the corner.

So, maybe roasted corn, watermelon, chocolate strawberries on a stick, fresh lemonade? Just thinking off the top of my head here...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

While I would certainly enjoy crepes at the fair, we may be a bit "rural" for that.

The Mexican booths (including the one I work) have the roasted corn covered already.

Watermelon might be a thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beavertails? Or a clone?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Cheesesteaks? (chickencheese!) Fresh fries with toppings/dipping sauces? Fried chicken, Nashville hot chicken? Some kind of kabob/pita sandwiches?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Everyone likes crepes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

These are called elephant ears in the US, I think.

Nashville fried chicken would own but might be a bit of a pain to actually do.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Has anyone else watched the new Netflix show Chef's table by the Jiro dreams of Sushi guy yet? I just started watching thr Fäviken episode and it seems really nice. I look forward to watching the rest of the episodes, with chef's who I haven't already seen in an entire half season of the also pretty great Mind of a Chef.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

These are called elephant ears in the US, I think.

Nashville fried chicken would own but might be a bit of a pain to actually do.

Beavertail is maple sugar

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my wife's duties is to manage the county 4H program, and traditionally one of their big fundraisers has been to run a concession stand at the county fair. Traditionally they sold hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, beer, etc, and they did really well. However, since the university decided that they couldn't have minors selling beer they've only been doing the burgers and stuff, and sales have suffered in the face of all the other really good food one can get at the fair. So they need to come up with something unique and delicious to draw in the hungry crowds and make more money for the program. Good Mexican, BBQ, fried food, and Indian food (that's Paiute, not Chennai) is already available, so can't do those. The booth has a couple of big flat grills and refridgeration, but that's about it for equipment. Any ideas?

Sell beers again, and stop with the silliness of minors not being able to sell beer...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe other grilled vegetables? Zucchini does pretty well, as do lots of brassica. But I don't know if "rural" people could swallow that pill.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Beavertail is maple sugar

What? Beavertails are a Canadian company that makes fried dough topped with sugar/lemon/nutella/whatever.

There are stands all around the city I live in, and for a while they had signs everywhere with pictures of Obama eating one when he came up.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my wife's duties is to manage the county 4H program, and traditionally one of their big fundraisers has been to run a concession stand at the county fair. Traditionally they sold hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, beer, etc, and they did really well. However, since the university decided that they couldn't have minors selling beer they've only been doing the burgers and stuff, and sales have suffered in the face of all the other really good food one can get at the fair. So they need to come up with something unique and delicious to draw in the hungry crowds and make more money for the program. Good Mexican, BBQ, fried food, and Indian food (that's Paiute, not Chennai) is already available, so can't do those. The booth has a couple of big flat grills and refrigeration, but that's about it for equipment. Any ideas?

So you need something tasty and unique (draws crowds), simple to make (minimizes training / effort / equipment), quick to cook (maximizes throughput) and fairly cheap (draws crowds, maximizes profit). Have you considered something like wraps? Thai-style sausage wraps like these, or something else in a lettuce leaf wrap, might meet your needs?

If you want authenticity, you could use recipes from a Thai cook.

Or Bruce Aidells has a tasty, quick recipe for Thai-style sausage.

You could put out some shaved carrots and radish as garnish, and a squirt bottle of a mix of coconut milk, sriracha sauce, and fish sauce as a sweet/sour/hot condiment.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What? Beavertails are a Canadian company that makes fried dough topped with sugar/lemon/nutella/whatever.

There are stands all around the city I live in, and for a while they had signs everywhere with pictures of Obama eating one when he came up.

Really good lemonade or other drinks? Can be prepped in advance.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Really good lemonade (like with mint) or other drinks? Can be prepped in advance.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gyros, Navajo tacos, shredded confit chicken sandwiches, reubens, sliders. You're basically limited to sandwich stuff only having griddles. Confit chickencheese, go for it.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gozlemes? They're a market staple here and always have a crush of people five deep whenever I want one :argh:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Getting good ideas here. I do have to be careful about doing anything too "foreign". Which is weird, I know, for a community that's all Italian, Portuguese, Basque, and Mexican. Like, we could have a sweetbreads and beans cart and sell out in an hour probably, but mention Thai food and people are like "tied to what?".

Hmm, though...maybe Italian sausages with peppers and onions? That might do.

Navajo tacos are just called Indian tacos here, and the tribe already runs 3 booths selling them. Market is deliciously saturated there.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 26, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, do sausage, peppers, and onions. It's cheap and easy, and delicious. Offer some sort of tomato sauce if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You could one-up the regular sausage, onion, and pepper crowd: make Italian sausage, but don't case it. Instead, roll it out to a standard thickness, then stamp it out with large Christmas cookie cutters and fry it up. Yeah, the sausage, onion and pepper route is tasty.