Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turning the diagram of a delivery van into an airplane is the slam dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hope they had uninsured motorist coverage. . .

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure a replacement car for the guy would be a rounding error to DHL after losing an entire jumbo jet, and probably best simply paid out rather than taking negative press.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
wrt to "idiots trying to force-merge their way into traffic by counting on others to avoid crashes" chat, the one thing I completely loved about my old beater craiglist car was that I never had to back down to idiots trying to shove their way in. Having a bumper held on with duct tape, paint peeling off, and more dings than you could count really gets the message of "loving hit me, idgaf" across in a way that yelling or profanity never does. I'd just keep going the exact same speed regardless how likely they were to hit me, and 100% of the time the rear end in a top hat would slam their brakes. Calling their bluff is seriously stupid (its me, I'm the idiot you share a road with) but goddamn is it loving satisfying.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So, I have a question.

I turned left onto a one-way street, and as such was in one of the left lanes. How the street is, there's a left lane that eventually becomes a turn only lane in a couple blocks, there's 2 lanes that go straight, there's a bike lane, and then on the far right is a right turn only lane. I had turned into the 2nd lane from the left since I wanted to go straight ahead. After I turned, I noticed there was an ambulance coming about 1/2 block back in the same lane I am, not yet to the intersection I just went through, so I moved to the far left of the road, since I was on the left side of the road. The ambulance then pulled left into the lane behind me, stopped, and laid on his horn. I was like what the gently caress, so then I moved all the way to the right, then he went and immediately went back right a lane so he could go straight towards where the hospital is.

I checked Wisconsin law and on a one-way street you can move to the left if you feel it's the safest side to move to. As this is on a college campus in Madison, WI, and bikes are frequently in the bike lane, I moved left since I knew 100% that it was safe to do so. I obviously could have checked and moved right, but I didn't see why.

Was I in the wrong on this one? Or is the ambulance driver just a cock? I hadn't seen the ambulance when I was turning because it was behind a semi from my view. It went through the red and then moved a lane left to get to where I had stopped. There was no other traffic in either of the 2 straight lanes to my right, and there presumably wasn't a bike either since there weren't any when I went right.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I think the ambulance driver was just being an rear end. Even without knowing for sure whether or not you're only supposed to pull over to the right, if you were clearly getting out of the way you'd think his priority would be getting his patient to the hospital, not playing traffic cop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think each driver has a personal opinion and/or adjusts to the capabilities of their vehicle. I was mired in a traffic jam around an ugly wreck on the interstate last month, and emergency vehicles were trying to get through traffic behind me. The police and ambulance came through first riding the left shoulder, each with a tire in the dirt. Then the fire engine came up and he went straight down the middle of the two lane road, forcing people to split to the shoulders to make room.

This was in Wisconsin too. :v:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

grumplestiltzkin posted:

wrt to "idiots trying to force-merge their way into traffic by counting on others to avoid crashes" chat, the one thing I completely loved about my old beater craiglist car was that I never had to back down to idiots trying to shove their way in. Having a bumper held on with duct tape, paint peeling off, and more dings than you could count really gets the message of "loving hit me, idgaf" across in a way that yelling or profanity never does. I'd just keep going the exact same speed regardless how likely they were to hit me, and 100% of the time the rear end in a top hat would slam their brakes. Calling their bluff is seriously stupid (its me, I'm the idiot you share a road with) but goddamn is it loving satisfying.

For some reason, over here in Sweden people tend to be more aggressive toward people with traffic dings or damage in general. Anecdotal like everything, but still.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Protocol7 posted:

Well if you were in Denver two days ago, you shared the road with my car, but not me driving it. Yay, vehicle theft!

Got it back though (after an egregious tow charge). I guess that whole "old Hondas take anything for a key" thing is actually true, because it wasn't even hotwired.

I've known people to stop using jiggle keys in lieu of OEM keys because they function the same. I have 3 Hondas (90,96,00) and they can all be opened with the key for the 96' Accord and a bit of gumption. Glad to hear you got your car back, when my Prelude got stolen I didn't even bother getting it from the impound it was so trashed and the great state of Massachusetts suspended my license as a result.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It should be legal to ram someone off the road if they remain in your blind spot after you've adjusted speed three times to try to get them to either pass or stay properly behind you so you can actually change lanes.

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

So, I have a question.

I turned left onto a one-way street, and as such was in one of the left lanes. How the street is, there's a left lane that eventually becomes a turn only lane in a couple blocks, there's 2 lanes that go straight, there's a bike lane, and then on the far right is a right turn only lane. I had turned into the 2nd lane from the left since I wanted to go straight ahead. After I turned, I noticed there was an ambulance coming about 1/2 block back in the same lane I am, not yet to the intersection I just went through, so I moved to the far left of the road, since I was on the left side of the road. The ambulance then pulled left into the lane behind me, stopped, and laid on his horn. I was like what the gently caress, so then I moved all the way to the right, then he went and immediately went back right a lane so he could go straight towards where the hospital is.

I checked Wisconsin law and on a one-way street you can move to the left if you feel it's the safest side to move to. As this is on a college campus in Madison, WI, and bikes are frequently in the bike lane, I moved left since I knew 100% that it was safe to do so. I obviously could have checked and moved right, but I didn't see why.

Was I in the wrong on this one? Or is the ambulance driver just a cock? I hadn't seen the ambulance when I was turning because it was behind a semi from my view. It went through the red and then moved a lane left to get to where I had stopped. There was no other traffic in either of the 2 straight lanes to my right, and there presumably wasn't a bike either since there weren't any when I went right.

I would consider trying to contact the ambulance company to file a complaint, if the ambulance driver could have gone around you without stopping then that would be really unethical to stop and play traffic enforcement during an emergency. Ambulance drivers know that 90% of traffic just goes crazy when they see lights, it's why they are not allowed to use the lights unless absolutely necessary. Even if you were legally supposed to pull to the right, it would be stupid and far more dangerous to have you swerve across the street in front of an ambulance.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

It should be legal to ram someone off the road if they remain in your blind spot after you've adjusted speed three times to try to get them to either pass or stay properly behind you so you can actually change lanes.

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

I had some fuckwit do that to me on the highway the other day. In the rain. While I was on my VFR. And then when I sped up to get in front of them because there was a truck in the right lane in front of me I was coming up on quick-ish but not at an emergency lane change speed (We were doing about 68-70 in a 65) they sped up to close the gap first, I got behind them a few car lengths back because bike in the rain isn't accelerating like a rocket without possibly taking a nap, and they slammed on their brakes and kept even with the truck for three miles before passing and flipping me off as I went by.

I don't know whether it's the bright red bike, the hi-viz gear, riding in the rain, or I just give off an aura, but even when I'm just going the speed limit on the highway in the right lane is enough to get people's hackles up every day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You're supposed to wear urban camo gear so people don't notice you, duh!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
SMIDSY :argh:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

shortspecialbus posted:

So, I have a question.

I had a similar situation happen when I was on a fairly big road (2 lanes plus a long right turn lane). I was in the left lane and, since there wasn't any traffic around besides the ambulance coming up in the middle lane, I kinda wasn't sure what the safest option would be. I mean, I could stay in my lane and slow up, pull left into the suicide lane and stop, or cut across 2 lanes to pull all the way to the right and stop. Ambulance wouldn't pass until I dove across the lanes and stopped.

Also, last night, I accidentally ran a freshly turned red light. I was lucky there wasn't anything around. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I've known people to stop using jiggle keys in lieu of OEM keys because they function the same. I have 3 Hondas (90,96,00) and they can all be opened with the key for the 96' Accord and a bit of gumption. Glad to hear you got your car back, when my Prelude got stolen I didn't even bother getting it from the impound it was so trashed and the great state of Massachusetts suspended my license as a result.

wait, what the gently caress? I know Mass is retarded (I live there) but why did they suspend your license because of that? I thought impounded cars that weren't retrieved just got sold at auction and usually went to the junkyard if they were beat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just got back from Texas.
I forgot how suicidal all the drivers are down there.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

wait, what the gently caress? I know Mass is retarded (I live there) but why did they suspend your license because of that? I thought impounded cars that weren't retrieved just got sold at auction and usually went to the junkyard if they were beat.

Probably unpaid fees added up to something really high + government "gently caress you"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just got back from Texas.
I forgot how suicidal all the drivers are down there.

:mediocre:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

For some reason, over here in Sweden people tend to be more aggressive toward people with traffic dings or damage in general. Anecdotal like everything, but still.

I anecdotally beg to differ. I have driven a few cosmetically challenged cars in Sweden, and I feel way fewer people try to pull poo poo on me than when I'm driving "normal" vehicles.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEy5ALlMAOk

:psyboom:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Today I saw an idiot on a pitch black highway hogging the left lane, and when I passed him on the right it turns out he had one working DRL and his foglights on instead of headlights. :eng99:

E: oh yeah and this morning some idiot in an empty right lane abruptly cut me off to wedge themselves between me and the person I had been behind. Good loving job, you win a prize.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 26, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ran an errand that took me 16 miles 45 minutes ago, and about half was highway.

16 cars running just DRLs and no other lights. Zero responded to a high beam flick and a honk. Well, one did, but it was with a middle finger out the window.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

Today I saw an idiot on a pitch black highway hogging the left lane, and when I passed him on the right it turns out he had one working DRL and his foglights on instead of headlights. :eng99:

So many Commodore drivers in Australia used to do this a few years ago. Just put on their parking lights so they could have their fog/driving lights working. Thankfully the cops have come down hard on that.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Thankfully the cops have come down hard on that.

I wish they would here to. People without lights is seriously one of my top pet peeves regarding other drivers. When it's getting dark enough to not see poo poo most people remember how to turn their lights on proper, but well before then (dusk, or just an overcast autumn day) there is a huge difference in how easy it is to spot a car with drl/tail lights on versus no loving lights whatsoever.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a truck driver that gets cut off,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGPrF0uSMY

mirror on vidme too,

https://vid.me/yif3

Some guy films an intersection with biting commentary,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zI7eV4WzA

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 26, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus tapdancing christ. :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

truck driver video got taken down :(

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Mirror still works. That second truck driver made a great save.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If only the dashcam footage in such a scenario guaranteed a zero-blame outcome for just hitting the fuckwit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know what's really fun? Trying to pull onto a 110 km/h highway at 70 km/h because the halfwit in a Hyundai right in front of you fears his gas pedal. There's not even a merge lane, it's a yield, so you only get one shot at it. I've seen loaded dumptrucks use that exit more effectively...

Oh, and on the way out to the place I was coming back from, we got to sit and wait as a stupid gently caress in a semi going 30 under the limit passed an even stupider gently caress in a dumptruck going 40 under the limit.

gently caress you TransCanada, you horrible poo poo highway full of horrible poo poo drivers.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

InitialDave posted:

If only the dashcam footage in such a scenario guaranteed a zero-blame outcome for just hitting the fuckwit.

If only.

This has got to have made the news somewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving cocksuckers that start in the left turn lane and decide "aww hell no, I want to go straight now!!" and wedge their fat rear end across two lanes, forcing my fuming rear end to miss an entire light cycle because they won't creep forward a couple more feet to make room and allow me to turn.

I hope they die in agony. Sooner the better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

loving cocksuckers that start in the left turn lane and decide "aww hell no, I want to go straight now!!" and wedge their fat rear end across two lanes, forcing my fuming rear end to miss an entire light cycle because they won't creep forward a couple more feet to make room and allow me to turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAsiC5a02U

I yelled and honked a lot at some stupid dickhead sitting at a green straight-only light with his left blinker on a few years ago, next to a completely empty left-only lane with a red light, and he got mad and told me to gently caress myself because well he had to go that way!!!!!! :downswords:

gently caress you buddy, you screwed up, go straight and pull a U turn at the next intersection in a half a mile instead of leaving me stuck behind you at a goddamn green light waiting to get rearended by some dipshit who can't be arsed to take their eyes off their phone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lime Tonics posted:

Some guy films an intersection with biting commentary,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zI7eV4WzA

"My balls are sticking to my leg!"

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

Thank the sweet lord for motorcycles, because this happens every single day multiple times at certain overloaded intersections around here. If I still had to suffer through that I would have long since committed ritual suicide on the hood of someone's car.

Lime Tonics posted:

Here is a truck driver that gets cut off,
https://vid.me/yif3
What sort of trailer is that second unit hauling? At first the structure and holes made me think livestock, I'm sure if there was anything alive in it they had a real fun time.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAsiC5a02U

I yelled and honked a lot at some stupid dickhead sitting at a green straight-only light with his left blinker on a few years ago, next to a completely empty left-only lane with a red light, and he got mad and told me to gently caress myself because well he had to go that way!!!!!! :downswords:

gently caress you buddy, you screwed up, go straight and pull a U turn at the next intersection in a half a mile instead of leaving me stuck behind you at a goddamn green light waiting to get rearended by some dipshit who can't be arsed to take their eyes off their phone.

But that's not his favorite way! It only satisfies 99% of his requirements!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ebc_1477452082

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yea.. don't scroll down through the comments unless you want to see a clearly dead 8 year old kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some douche fly up my rear end when I was already speeding on a divided 2 lane road. He just tailgated me with his highs on even though there was clearly a car doing the same speed I was in front of me. I flipped him off and he strangely backs up a reasonable distance and stops being an rear end. As soon as the road widened I moved over so he could get past me and do some lunatic speed on a crowded road. I got away from him and he got in front of one more person; everyone won.