Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I say I love this game and recommend it to people, but I can't bring myself to play it. Every time I reach about blue science/oil, I just have zero interest in playing anymore. I think it's the scale - it just starts feeling like pointless drudgery where absolutely nothing interesting happens. Everything that might interest me is gated behind hours of doing the same poo poo over and over. I want so badly to keep enjoying it, but it's just not fun. I really envy you guys who have been able to get years of enjoyment out of it, because the part I did like was great.

It's funny, because while everyone else wants mods that make the game bigger and longer, I kinda feel like I might enjoy it more if there was a mod that really compressed everything down.

This was a couple days ago and you might not be reading the thread, but have you considered any of the quick start mods? They make the the beginning of the game less tedious by providing you with early bots and such. Between those and blueprints, you can more readily reach the interesting parts of the game.

I'm honestly in the same boat as you. I start up a fresh map, build the first few miners, and then realize the sheer scope of everything before me and quit.
But for me, I know I need to be in a more receptive mindset and get to a point where I only need to play for an hour or two at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Personally, Helmod is a much nicer solution for figuring out ratios, as it actually uses your game settings and you can tune it to your demands.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

UraniumAnchor posted:

'/screenshot' also works, doesn't disable achievements, and formats the filename based on the age of your factory.

He was specifically asking about a way to capture larger screenshots of the entire factory, and the base /screenshot command will not zoom out far enough for that.

Edit: Here is a 4096x4096 shot of my current newbie factory, would need to be much larger to capture the outer perimeter wall and mining sites.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Solumin posted:

This was a couple days ago and you might not be reading the thread, but have you considered any of the quick start mods? They make the the beginning of the game less tedious by providing you with early bots and such. Between those and blueprints, you can more readily reach the interesting parts of the game.

I'm honestly in the same boat as you. I start up a fresh map, build the first few miners, and then realize the sheer scope of everything before me and quit.
But for me, I know I need to be in a more receptive mindset and get to a point where I only need to play for an hour or two at a time.

I posted a page or 2 back but .17 really helped me with this. I get very easily overwhelmed when faced with a kind of sprawling project that doesn't have an obvious start point and now that I've memorized the basic oil setup and that doesn't feel like a slog itself. They reworked it so that blue science uses solid fuel, which makes the early oil output really easy to handle. (Gas -> Plastic -> Chips, Light/Heavy -> Solid Fuel)

They also changed it so that you don't need electric mining drills, a huge green chip sink which often meant for me that I'd have to pause and expand Iron, copper, and green chips before i could automate the drills for blue science.

Annnnnd pipes no longer gently caress up all the time with multiple liquids or act incredibly stupid, which helps too.

You obviously still need to expand everything anyway, it just makes it so there isn't this whole slog/tier of housekeeping before you start playing the game again. I dunno, I really like it. I also play differently sometimes if I find I'm getting bored. Sometimes I'll just go dick around in sandbox mode and try to optimize a blueprint or make a new one. Or do something dumb like "yellow science from ore" spaghetti challenges.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 21, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

To be clear, I didn't even make it to oil. "Ok, I need to build red science, and I'm going to need a lot of gears so I can build belts to set up steam engines and uuuuuuugh."

Just haven't been in the right mindset for it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to get Kovorex refining working using a belt loop but the damned centrifuge keep sucking up more than 40 u-235. I tried wiring an inserter to the centrifuge so I could set it to stop at 40 but it won't connect directly. What's the best way?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Canuckistan posted:

I'm trying to get Kovorex refining working using a belt loop but the damned centrifuge keep sucking up more than 40 u-235. I tried wiring an inserter to the centrifuge so I could set it to stop at 40 but it won't connect directly. What's the best way?

Get one kovarex going and have it feed itself and only itself until you have 80, then add a second centrifuge, repeat imo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

Just let it. It'll give you a nice buffer and inserters don't just keep stuffing ingredients in forever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kovarex enrichment is such a force multiplier, by the time you finish fiddling with your kovarex circuit build you will have enough enriched that you don't need a circuit build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nuclear's totally doable WITHOUT Kovarex to start with, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

With enough manufacturing, and if you can dispose of all the weak uranium, yes. It can be made into bullets but you have to be realy trying to get that many fired.

Kovarex gives you much more control over the ratio of products,

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, with basic circuit controls and a tank farm you can probably power an entire midgame factory while you transition it to being able to lay out a tilable reactor setup via logistics. Leave your steam plant in place but disconnected until you've got tiled reactors ready to go.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nuclear is definitely feasible without kovarex. A single fuel cell has so much energy and you get 10 of them from one good uranium ore. You'll need a lot of storage chests to hold the bad uranium but that shouldn't be a problem if you're at this point of the game. Also you'll probably want like 6-10 centrifuges, iirc? But again, nuclear is so ridiculously efficient that you don't need much to support a basic reactor

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
You can run 2 reactors on 4 centrifuges w/ speed module 1s infinitely. There is almost no need for Kovarex in the game unless getting rid of the dark green rocks means that much to you. Even doubling that gives you almost 500 MW. More than enough to finish the game. Kovarex is an extra mechanic to try and make nuclear seem less broken/for things approaching megabases. This applies a bit less if you are sitting on one single very tiny patch of uranium, otherwise you're good to go.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There are also atomic bombs.

You want atomic bombs.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Rigging up kovarex is fun. That's all the reason I need to set it up :D

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So on my .17 factory I've been doing an main bus/bot hybrid, been working well but I've been getting killed on red chips. I finally took the time to fix it up and make it neat. I love this game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kovarex is for making nukes and mistakenly turning all your bullet uranium into not bullet uranium. You can power a pretty ridiculous nuclear complex on one uranium deposit with normal refinement.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Locator posted:

He was specifically asking about a way to capture larger screenshots of the entire factory, and the base /screenshot command will not zoom out far enough for that.

Edit: Here is a 4096x4096 shot of my current newbie factory, would need to be much larger to capture the outer perimeter wall and mining sites.

code:
/screenshot 4096 4096 0.05

linked for extra huge

Works just fine for me. This base takes about a minute to go from corner to corner in a nuclear fuel powered PAX train. Did you use the third argument to control the zoom?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

UraniumAnchor posted:

code:

linked for extra huge

Works just fine for me. This base takes about a minute to go from corner to corner in a nuclear fuel powered PAX train. Did you use the third argument to control the zoom?

Very nice.. and huge. I had the zoom at 0.25 and I just did it real quick to test it. I haven't actually played today. I might play with other zooms to fit in that size, but I think you lose so much detail that I'm not sure about do that vs. just going to a larger image, which I tested up to 6144 x 5120, but as I said it was just a quick test, didn't mess with it much.

I will definitely try it that way instead of using that long command that disabled achievements so that I don't have to worry about screwing up my save. Thanks

The Locator fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 22, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

zedprime posted:

Kovarex is for making nukes and mistakenly turning all your bullet uranium into not bullet uranium. You can power a pretty ridiculous nuclear complex on one uranium deposit with normal refinement.

This is why you do a requester chest for u-238 at the start of the kovarex and have an inserter moving it to the kovarex belts with a logistic network connection and active condition of 238 > xxxx, ensuring you have at least that much in storage.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

The loading station in that album isn't amazing but the unloader shows promise.

I did some testing with this:

With stack inserter capacity 4 (max achievable using only green science) you can almost saturate four yellow belts with this setup.
With capacity 10 (max achievable with purple science) you get four red belts that are only barely not saturated.
At max capacity (12) you can fully saturate four red belts or almost saturate four blue belts.
The design lets you start with yellow belts and upgrade in place as you climb the tech tree.

The lamps just tell me when each belt's buffer chest is empty, the green wires and constant-combinator are just there so I could override stack capacity more easily.

Edit: I think the most important feature of these stations is they look cool as hell

It's taken me a few days to follow up on this because I was playing with other stuff in my base and wasn't ready for rail but thanks for double checking this Evilreaver and GotLag. Here's my idea for an ideal train station, 8 fully compressed belts immediately dropping into an 8 to 8 balancer.

Unloading with this method can be accomplished many different ways obviously and it restricts the throughput a bit but it's easier to work with fully compressed belts and 8 lanes from one station is still a massive amount. You could go with a larger train if you want more but it would be just as easy to put multiple trains and multiple stations on your line which would allow you to space things out. 8 smelting columns takes up a fair amount of space!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well it took way too long to probably justify it, but I got sick of biter attacks at my far flung outposts and decided to solve the problem once in for all. With a giant gently caress off wall. Or rather, six of them:

Two rows of lasers, with one gigantic looping belt of uranium ammo that runs the circuit of the entire walled off area. Now I have a huge dead zone with plenty of resources to expand the factory.

Additional QoL additions that will go up as they become feasible include robo ports a full circle of roboports at the outer walls so that they're self repairing, and artillery support.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Concretexture to add an option to replace both concrete types with the new textures, as well as recolouring them slightly so they match the vanilla hues when zoomed out.

Comparison:

RVWinkle posted:

It's taken me a few days to follow up on this because I was playing with other stuff in my base and wasn't ready for rail but thanks for double checking this Evilreaver and GotLag. Here's my idea for an ideal train station, 8 fully compressed belts immediately dropping into an 8 to 8 balancer.

Unloading with this method can be accomplished many different ways obviously and it restricts the throughput a bit but it's easier to work with fully compressed belts and 8 lanes from one station is still a massive amount. You could go with a larger train if you want more but it would be just as easy to put multiple trains and multiple stations on your line which would allow you to space things out. 8 smelting columns takes up a fair amount of space!

You've definitely got a point about reducing the number of overall output belts, four belts per wagon can only sustain output if you have the next train arriving pretty much as soon as the previous train left.

One potential problem with that design is that because the balancer-side buffers are emptying on to a belt that already has items on it from the far side, at some level of stack inserter upgrades they're going to not have enough space on the belt to put their items, so they'll back up. I haven't tested it out so I'm not sure how that bottleneck will influence throughput, but it could eventually make the station effectively one side only.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
No, I was mistaken, in testing it makes basically no difference. Your design is solid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How do you go about estimating train loading/unloading rates and number of belts to set up, anyway? For aesthetic preference I'd rather run 1 engine 2 car trains and just add more trains for more throughput; how does this alter things compared to the more usual 2-4 I see? And what about oil?

On another subject entirely: should I set up my entire main factory as a single logistics network , or only the mall areas where I want to get supplies, and separate networks for where bots are used in manufacture later?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

How do you go about estimating train loading/unloading rates and number of belts to set up, anyway? For aesthetic preference I'd rather run 1 engine 2 car trains and just add more trains for more throughput; how does this alter things compared to the more usual 2-4 I see? And what about oil?

On another subject entirely: should I set up my entire main factory as a single logistics network , or only the mall areas where I want to get supplies, and separate networks for where bots are used in manufacture later?

The Factorio cheat sheet has some information for you:

- https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#cargo-wagon-transfer
- https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#vehicle-fuel-bonus

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

drat me that site has an answer for everything :doh:

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I'm liking that unloading station the more I've played with it. Pulling 2 belts/wagon ends up super clean and even pulling 3 belts/wagon is still much nicer than a station configuration than the standard 12 inserters. There is less of a buffer, but that's not really a bad thing

The 2 wagon to 4 belts is especially clean.

Without the buffer chests there is enough room to get a blue underground through. Played with bufferless station. That gap is when trains switch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

UraniumAnchor posted:

code:

For some reason that doesn't work for me at all.

I spent the entire evening completely revamping my base, tearing out a large portion of the old original spaghetti and putting in a new mall. My bus is actually almost functional as a bus now. I really need to get green/red/blue circuits ramped up enough to put them on the bus instead of just having mishmash production locally where I need it. Not sure if that will be my next big project or I'll get sidetracked onto something else. The factory is really mostly idling right now so hard to say where I'll find horrible bottlenecks when I start launching rockets and all the research fires back up and pulls from everything.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Now that we can blueprint landfill: Do you like placing blueprints over water? Wish that you could auto-fit landfill under blueprinted structures so you don't waste landfill? Well too bad there's no easy way, but there is a quick-ish way.

1) Save. (Or: start a new game, ideally in 'sandbox')
2) do '/editor' (tilde ~ brings up chat by default iirc). This will disable achievements, that's why we have step 1.
3) Go to 'tiles' and paint a big lake out of water. (Or find a big lake, though this has a small annoyance associated with it that I won't spoil)
4) Paint a big island out of landfill. Not other land types.
5) If your blueprint is pretty simple, build it via the entities menu. If not, place a roboport, power pole, and 'electric interface' (a creative structure that provides infinite power) and let bots do it. You may have to stock some boxes nearby and exit editor mode for the bots to work. Good thing we're in sandbox mode, right?
6) Once it's completely constructed, go back into /editor and paint over your structures with water. By default, the water won't be placed over the structures, effectively trimming off the extra landfill!
7) Blueprint that sumbich; don't forget to check 'include tiles' and save it to your library, and optionally delete the non-landfill-trimmed versions.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
^^^ This seems like work a mod should handle

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Screenshot command is working fine now, so captured a much larger shot of the base after the massive rework today. Image is 4096x4096 so probably won't be very interesting viewed in the browser!

The early parts of my factory that were some of the worst spaghetti hacking of belts is completely gone and replaced by the new mall, also cleaned up a bunch of criss-crossing belts and feeds and replaced them with feeds directly from the partially complete bus area (which also required a huge amount of cleanup of belt spaghetti that was in the way).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So today I learned that if you pass an empty table (due to typoing the table name) to find_entities_filtered() it will return any entity. That lead to a fun bug with the Wood Harvester mod where it would start by harvesting itself. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Be the change you wish to see in the world, I guess

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Finally started a 0.17 playthrough, all I have to say is that in most games, adding cut and copy/paste commands would result in a raised eyebrow, in Factorio, it results in "why was it not a thing before?!". :allears:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Reverend Dr posted:

I'm liking that unloading station the more I've played with it. Pulling 2 belts/wagon ends up super clean and even pulling 3 belts/wagon is still much nicer than a station configuration than the standard 12 inserters. There is less of a buffer, but that's not really a bad thing

The 2 wagon to 4 belts is especially clean.

Without the buffer chests there is enough room to get a blue underground through. Played with bufferless station. That gap is when trains switch.

I guess I really don't get the advantage of the splitters in this design. It looks like the same basic belt side feed design that I hate except now it has splitters. The unload is slower because you're only using 8 inserters per car rather than 12.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess I really don't get the advantage of the splitters in this design. It looks like the same basic belt side feed design that I hate except now it has splitters. The unload is slower because you're only using 8 inserters per car rather than 12.

I don't mind the slower unload, but am curious why splitters instead of just a t-junction of belts: >^<

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mr. Powers posted:

Far as I understand the benefit is that stack inserters actually unload to both outputs of the splitter, which then makes the item drop part of the inserter loop twice as fast. 8 inserters on splitters will end up with higher throughput when taking from the chests than 12 inserters directly on belt at some inserter stack count breakpoint. If chest to belt is the throughput bottleneck more than train to chest it makes to prioritize that step.

If my understanding is correct it still seems like there are a lot of individual variables in all that: what fuel your trains use, how long they are, your station design, train brake research, inserter research, etc.

E: This said, you should be able to make a(n inefficiently and stupidly) larger station design that uses 12 stack inserters/wagon and still outputs from chests to splitters by chaining together chests with stack inserters to make space. Hop to!

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mr. Powers posted:

:wrong:

RVWinkle posted:

Inserting into side splitters for train unloading is probably the biggest design revelation to happen recently.

https://imgur.com/a/U7m4OyC

I'd probably modify this to make 2 belts per car for a total of 8 fully compressed belts per train station. Make two stations if you want more than 8 smelting columns.

GotLag posted:

The loading station in that album isn't amazing but the unloader shows promise.

I did some testing with this:

With stack inserter capacity 4 (max achievable using only green science) you can almost saturate four yellow belts with this setup.
With capacity 10 (max achievable with purple science) you get four red belts that are only barely not saturated.
At max capacity (12) you can fully saturate four red belts or almost saturate four blue belts.
The design lets you start with yellow belts and upgrade in place as you climb the tech tree.

The lamps just tell me when each belt's buffer chest is empty, the green wires and constant-combinator are just there so I could override stack capacity more easily.

Edit: I think the most important feature of these stations is they look cool as hell