Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

zoux posted:

Where did he get his extremely futuristic costume and why does he wear an extremely not futuristic trench coat over it
PAD's recent X-Factor? Or wait, there are several costumes that fit the bill...

I like Gambit. I think his power is really cool (and charging up Rockslide needs to be done in movie form) and he's very charming, but he doesn't have a lot of good stories to lean on... though the Gambit comic by Asmus was pretty decent, wasn't it?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He still is man. gently caress the haters. He's a stupid character with a stupid accent who throws exploding cards and fucks all the women. His movie is gonna be a smash success because he rules. He has the strongest character traits of any X-Men, the trait of "charges things up and makes them explode".

Also, he has a bo! Probably spells it beau but that's fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

Also, he has a bo! Probably spells it beau but that's fine.

No he spells it beaux

He's like the best parts of Donatelleaux, Raphael, and Michaelangeleaux combined.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I feel like they should replace Mr. Sinister with Bishop instead. Make him a timecop who wants to arrest Gambit for being a blight to existence in MCU 2099. :v:

I can see the Gambit movie working if they take some cues from Lupin the 3rd and make it a silly heist film, with double and triple crosses from everyone. Maybe have Gambit be hired to steal Excalibur, and Pete Wisdom try to stop him.

The James Asmus written series was this, and it was great.

Any character can be great, with good enough writing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

zoux posted:

Where did he get his extremely futuristic costume and why does he wear an extremely not futuristic trench coat over it
Now that I think about it, this is really the only thing I can't stand about Gambit. His costume makes, like, zero sense with regard to anything else about his character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big wrestling fan. Top 3 favorites: Rick Steiner, Bret Hart, The Undertaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Now that I think about it, this is really the only thing I can't stand about Gambit. His costume makes, like, zero sense with regard to anything else about his character.

Also was he the first head sock guy and what is that head sock supposed to be called.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gambit is a pretty interesting character when he's used in a supporting role. He's not a great focal character, he's at his best when he's the foil to a stronger lead or when he's part of a heist story because Deadpool Vs. Gambit was delightful. I mean, a large part of his appeal is definitely rooted in having been a teenager when he was at his most prominent and part of it is the glorious mess of continuity and retcons that he is. Remember when he was the Horseman Death and then he wasn't but sometimes he still is a little? And maybe he's a clone of Mr. Sinister or the third (fourth of fifth?) Summers brother?

zoux posted:

Also was he the first head sock guy and what is that head sock supposed to be called.

Wasn't Havok as a Genoshan soldier the first head sock? Dammit, I know X-Plain The X-Men covered this but I can't remember who Patient 0 was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember in the early 2000s X-Men in high school cartoon he has a cool introductory sequence of breaking into the X-mansion and unlocking a window by drawing a smiley face on it with his finger then popping out the glass.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Metalshark posted:

One of the great things about Gambit, and I'm not saying that this applies to everyone who dislikes Gambit, is that he instantly reveals how some insecure men get so jealous/angry/threatened by a man who is sexy, knows it, and is utterly lusted after by so many people.

He's so loving hot. You know you can't change him and his heart belongs to another but this just makes you want him more. That, and the Drakkar Noir cloud that I presume is permanently surrounding him.

And the greatest thing about Gambit is

"It not you. It Gambit."

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Metalshark posted:

One of the great things about Gambit, and I'm not saying that this applies to everyone who dislikes Gambit, is that he instantly reveals how some insecure men get so jealous/angry/threatened by a man who is sexy, knows it, and is utterly lusted after by so many people.

The same attributes are true for Odinson or Stark or even Hawkeye for some extent and male readers love them. No, I think the problem is simply Gambit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought of a few good actors for Shazam. The problem is they are all already in either MCU or DCEU.

Basically most of the Chrises would be great.

Pratt
Pine
Evans
Hemsworth

And if you are willing to go nontraditional, Terry Crews. I honestly don't know how he is outside of comedy though. A Shazam movie is going to be at least somewhat comedic, I don't know how serious of an actor Shazam needs to be, and even if they do have to be serious I don't know that Crews couldn't pull it off since I've simply never seen him in a drama, but he handles scenes where he has to put forth other emotions well in Brooklyn 99.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Decius posted:

The same attributes are true for Odinson or Stark or even Hawkeye for some extent and male readers love them. No, I think the problem is simply Gambit.

In this case, it not Gambit, it you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought of a few good actors for Shazam. The problem is they are all already in either MCU or DCEU.

Pratt
Pine
Evans
Hemsworth

And if you are willing to go nontraditional, Terry Crews. I honestly don't know how he is outside of comedy though. A Shazam movie is going to be at least somewhat comedic, I don't know how serious of an actor Shazam needs to be, and even if they do have to be serious I don't know that Crews couldn't pull it off since I've simply never seen him in a drama, but he handles scenes where he has to put forth other emotions well in Brooklyn 99.

Chris Kattan.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pratt
Pine
Evans
Hemsworth

I mean, the racial profiling episode of B99 shows he can do drama.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll have a white kid turn into Terry Crews.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They could get a black kid of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite Gambit moment is that series of silent panels where he calmly walks across a chaotic battlefield, taps a villain (Fem-Sinister?) on the shoulder, and whacks her with his bo when she turns around.

zoux posted:

Idunno about Marvel, but DC started doing head-sock guys in the late 70s. Firestorm might have been the first. His fire-hair presumably burnt off the top of his head-sack.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They could get a black kid of course.

Don't be absurd.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pratt
Pine
Evans
Hemsworth

I really think Channing Tatum would be perfect for the comedic shining hero who's really a little boy inside and I think he'd be a perfect foil to The Rock's Black Adam.

Too bad WB didn't snatch him up while Gambit was still in limbo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Market research shows that audiences are looking for more diverse heroes. How about we have one who's both black and white! Audiences will love our story of a young black child who turns into a powerful white man!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

purple death ray posted:

In this case, it not Gambit, it you.

I stand with Mr Sinister!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am admittedly unsure whether Hollywood is still intent on pushing him as a big action star, but Armie Hammer could be Captain Marvel/Shazam.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

"Market research shows that audiences are looking for more diverse heroes. How about we have one who's both black and white! Audiences will love our story of a young black child who turns into a powerful white man!"

Only if when he transforms it uses the morphing effect from Michael Jackson's "It's Black; It's White" video as well as the theme music fading into the actual song.

Also I would prefer it if in the Black Panther movie if he at some point transformed into a black panther and destroyed a car. (This is a treasured memory because I remember staying up to watch the video after The Simpsons and at the end thinking it was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen, but my parents being angry and seeing on the news that lots of people were very upset about it)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Only if when he transforms it uses the morphing effect from Michael Jackson's "It's Black; It's White" video as well as the theme music fading into the actual song.

Also I would prefer it if in the Black Panther movie if he at some point transformed into a black panther and destroyed a car. (This is a treasured memory because I remember staying up to watch the video after The Simpsons and at the end thinking it was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen, but my parents being angry and seeing on the news that lots of people were very upset about it)

You should post this in the Cinema Discusso comic book thread because they will appreciate the reference to both an MJ video and Marvel movies' car destruction.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Decius posted:

Gambit is way less typically masculine than those characters*, though Hawkeye did rock the pink and purple back in the day, and even a miniskirt! Also, don't get me wrong, Gambit is very studly and obviously an idealised masculine archetype**, but he's also much more of a romantic Casanova type compared to Odinson's drunken warrior rutting or Stark's playboy image, which are more aspirational to the typical dudebro. People like that often expose their inner toxicity when discussing Gambit, in the same way that One Direction can be a good litmus test. It's ok to not like them for many reasons, but if you just say they're a bunch of sissies or their success doesn't count because young girls and women love them then you're showing your internalised misogyny.

Thanks for posting Gillen's Sinister page though, and I want to be clear that I don't think this applies to you, but I maintain there is a difference between Gambit and his appeal to people versus the characters you listed.

*Plus he's bisexual. Fight me.
**I have conducted extensive studies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

The answer to both questions is "The 90s"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If people think Gambit's so sexy, he should take off his stupid metal-plated body-condom and wear a trenchcoat with no shirt.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The hot punk metal plates ARE 70 percent of what makes him so cool
The other 20 percent is the headsock and 10 the trenchcoat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gambit hasn't worn that costume in like ten years

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

If people think Gambit's so sexy, he should take off his stupid metal-plated body-condom and wear a trenchcoat with no shirt.

If he didn't wear the metal plates or body-condom he'd just be wearing the trenchcoat with nothing underneath. And there's already a hero called Flash.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lobok posted:

No, you've got to reverse it. Market research shows that all White children and teenagers secretly want to be Black.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/882449055829438465

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gambit's stock certainly has plummeted since the 90s, but I think he's still a safer bet for a solo film than most X-men who's name doesn't end in "erine".

People aren't ready to settle for Kattan.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gambit is awesome.

He shouldn't have a solo movie.

Good thing it's never going to happen.

That's my take on the whole thing.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Dexie posted:

Gambit is awesome.

He shouldn't have a solo movie.

Good thing it's never going to happen.

That's my take on the whole thing.

Yeah, I feel like he should be in a Deadpool movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'd be down for that honestly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lurdiak posted:

People aren't ready to settle for Kattan.

Boo. Hiss.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Gambit's stock certainly has plummeted since the 90s, but I think he's still a safer bet for a solo film than most X-men who's name doesn't end in "erine".
Jubilerine: Retribution. Coming this May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You would think after Logan's success that they would fast-track an X-23 film

• Locked thread