Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Niche game to revive a niche genre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

My friend's cat, Leeloo Dallas Multipass, in a bunch of packing paper on the floor that she likes to play with.

She is the most photogenic cat I've ever met.

Also what's up thread

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beet Wagon posted:

Benny and the Nipple-Jets

The restraining orders

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

VealCutlet posted:

I'd like you all to know that I went to my folks place last night and they decided to order pizza/pasta takeout. One of the pizzas had pineapple on it and I enjoyed it.

When I was leaving I doxxed my dad and drop kicked my mother.

I'm glad your parents are well fed.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

:five:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I like that MoMA will hold Derek accountable to his word but not CIG. Who did he give money to? Oh.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hello, thank you for coming, we are The Auditors and this is a song we wrote called "the tickler in black" take it away boys.....soft jazz and experimental dancing ensues

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Lillards shame"

post your fave star citizen themed band names and win absolutely nothing.

Christo Roberto and the Refactards, hit song: "My Ships Bigger"

Brown Pixels, hit song: "I Redid It Again"

Thirty Odd Gig of Jpegs, hit song "Watching The Internets"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hey everyone, we're Grabby Hands and the Wank-pods

Hope you're ready for four hours of ska covers of disco's greatest hits played by our ukelele and accordian orchestra

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Mine's "Space Bulldozer Ate My Girlfriend".

Well I manage "Parp Parpason and the Parpatronics", Looking to get them a gig on the top space curse ships in the verse (then, like any good manager I'm gonna steal all there money)

:gary: :yarg: :yarg: :yarg:

:sandance: :dare: :pgabz: :chome: :snoop: :sotw: :derp: :lesnick:

I wonder if Chris has come up with his universe word/version of illegal drugs yet cos if not the word "Parp" is just waiting to be turned into illicent cargo.

"Psss, dude, got any Parp?"

"No but I know a guy down this back alley way that always has the best Parp around"

"Sweet, lets go, I'm so hanging to Parp my brains out"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

We are the TOXIC DINKS! 1234! FUD FUD! FEELS SO GOOD! KRISPY KREMES KRISPY KREMES ARTERIES ARE BURSTING AT THE SEAMS!

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
Christopher Starship: We Built This lovely

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Propagandist posted:

My friend's cat, Leeloo Dallas Multipass, in a bunch of packing paper on the floor that she likes to play with.

Also what's up thread

no catte has a right to look that good.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Propagandist posted:

Also what's up thread

We have a thread in PI specifically for orange cats, just thought you should know that

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

I actually just googled the dude (because I never heard of him). Is he actually a nazi? Like, he's said it? He seems like just a regular rear end in a top hat.

There's an awful lot of this:

going around these days.
Pretty sure they're getting it from poo poo like this, and worse.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/08/14/vox-day-too-many-black-people-make-the-continuation-of-western-civilization-impossible/

He's not fond of people who are not white.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is anyone else feeling grief right now?

I was going to post about that Mirificus shot of citizens mistaking obvious scripted behavior for AI but what the gently caress can you say really

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Zzr posted:

Yes I still feel grief for the once-in-a-life missed opportunity of p6666.

I think beer's saving that page for release day

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, over at the Frontier forum...

:negative:

So TenakaFurey is claiming that paying donating money in order to reach a stretch goal doesn't actually pay to implement that stretch goal?
So what's the money for then? A Porsche?

I realise that there will be SC backers that are er..., shall we say, 'mentally challenged', but surely no-one is THAT dumb. The SC community has got to consist (at this point) of predominently pro-bono shills, reputation management company employees, and grey-market traders (who are desperately trying to keep their gravy-train afloat).

Ponzi fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ponzi posted:

Meanwhile, over at the Frontier forum...

:negative:

So TenakaFurey is claiming that paying donating money in order to reach a stretch goal doesn't actually pay to implement that stretch goal?
So what's the money for then? A Porsche?

I realise that there will be SC backers that are er..., shall we say, 'mentally challenged', but surely no-one is THAT dumb. The SC community has got to consist (at this point) of predominently pro-bono shills, reputation management company employees, and grey-market traders (who are desperately trying to keep their gravy-train afloat).

To be fair the stretch goals for SC and the funding tiers attached to them have absolutely no grounding in reality and literally just tell you how much money they need to raise before a UI element says "funded".

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

Weekly schedule/what to expect is out. :toot:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/15678-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

In short, another lore week and the community managers are going to PAX South. Can't wait to see the new show coming in the future that focuses on citizens.

Goonrathi is going to PAX South together. I hope we can find them.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Beet Wagon posted:

That sounds like a new thread title to me.

Speaking of which I miss the Major Tom videos. :(

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I love following this thread because "all of your revenge fantasies BUT IN SPACE" is never going to happen.

There's maybe gonna be a Sewer Shark BUT IN SPACE game that cost $100M to make from mo-cap from actors that are too ashamed to ever mention it

The FPS PvP BUT IN SPACE game that they paid a team to make once, then scrapped and paid other people to make again while CoD:IW blows everyone's minds

Spend thousands of real-life dollars to build your own SimHouse where you literally hire real-life game-slaves to do menial tasks BUT IN SPACE

It's just amazing to me, and I'm glad there's something this absurd that exists and people ardently defending it to make me laugh every day.

Also, Beet's dog is awesome. Want more Kayak pics. Please enjoy my cat doing the stoic Batman pose while perched on the arm of my couch.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Should not move.
Be able to execute aileron rolls with Q and E, and be able to go in all directions in EVA suit as opposed to just up.
After pressing the "use" button, the UI of the spawn unit should show up. Then i should be able to select "MISC Riliant Kore" and spawn the ship.
Feet should rest in a forward position on the paddles.
players cannot pass through each other and have proper collision.
Normal animations play for walking after exiting 'try on' mode
Shipcontrols shouldn't be lost.
The game should start.
I should be able to exit the game properly. I should be able to load crusader when other modules work I hope this is helpful? Thanks!
Killed said pirate and continue to complete my mission to turn the Comms Array on.
Lower the gun and reset vision before the animation for grenade throwing gets active.
PLayers should not fall through levels nor be able to interact (i.e. Shoot other players) afterwards
Jump actually requires only 4%.
aUEC balance should be persistant without failure.
Que les lunettes sois visible sur TOUTES les armes !
When I open my launcher, it should not have a grey lunch button and obviously the game should open to the main menu not just a black small window.
The pilot seat should recognize that it is now empty and revert to an accessible state.
Any replaced thrusters, weapons, etc should be automatically be powered on / set to the appropriate power state after they are replaced.
The countermeasure indicator should be present even if the countermeasures are empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMb41ZrbD3s&t=677s

AP fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 24, 2017

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Post-purchase rationalization: I bought this. I am smart. Therefore buying this was smart.

Sunk Cost Fallacy: I bought this. Oh no it is poo poo. Better put more money in to make it not poo poo otherwise I wasted my previous money. Oh no it is poo poo. Better put...

Don't discount the "I can pay for it, therefore it's real" idea either.

If you feel doubt about the game coming out you can go get a nice $499.99 item on your credit card statement that says "CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES" as proof of life. You hold tangible proof you paid for something, and you can't buy things that don't exist.

Bonus points for buying things regularly, for steady proof that the dream is real.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Weekly schedule/what to expect is out. :toot:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/15678-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

In short, another lore week and the community managers are going to PAX South. Can't wait to see the new show coming in the future that focuses on citizens.

I like how they have a show dedicated to lore, and the creation of lore. As if it's any harder than making stuff up since it's never going to be in a game anyway.

Wtf is this https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/15676-B0otyCall-NovaRiders

stupid loving lore poo poo posted:

The signal is live, so prepare to be boarded. Jester is blowin’ the hatch and blastin’ anything that moves with some burning hot B0otyCall to the skull.

I gotta admit, 2947 has been off to a rough start. Really taking my rucksack through the wringer. Bit embarrassing really, but if I can’t shake out my unmentionables on my own transmission what’s even the point? Okay, here it goes — it turns out your wily friend Jester got himself a bounty on his head.

It’d be one thing if it was for one of my decent jobs. You know, one of the scores I’m always jaggin’ on about here. But the drat thing is, I was fingered for an overdue landing fee that I skipped on two years ago. Turns out I accidentally used an old alias in Asura that I had meant to burn. Now, I’m not new at this, so luckily I had all my alerts primed. As soon as the flag popped up the sec-channel, I immediately dropped the face, but by then it was too late. The doggerel had the scent.

This intrepid Bounty Hunter stayed on my tail for about three weeks. Everywhere I turned, boom there was that bastard’s Avenger looming large. Couldn’t even celebrate Traveler’s Day proper. I jumped four systems and still wasn’t able to dislodge the little clinger. Hell if I know why the bastard was so determined. It was a pretty big landing fee but still, the reward for the pinch was barely worth the fuel burn. I figure it must have been an eager upstart trying to earn some rep.

Finally lost the trail two days ago thanks to a quick sell of the falsie to a couple kids who were in the market for an ID. Normally I would never sell a tainted reg, but these little pissants had cost me a job a month or two back when they botched a simple lift. Figured I could take care of two birds with the same bullet.

Speaking of those kids, can you believe they had the gall to take on the NovaRider mantle? Where do they get off? We’re talking a bunch of mints who barely had the wits to put on a flight suit between them and they think they’re worthy to be called NovaRiders? I guess that’s what you get when a generation learns about being a pirate from playing a sim. Discredit to the name.

Though to be fair the name was already discredited as soon as it showed up in Arena Commander. Can you believe those Original Systems codewads stole the proud outlaw tradition for personal profit and gain? Which, now that I’m saying it out loud, does sound like a thing an outlaw would do, but still, the principle, you know?

I think it’s been at least twenty years now since the last time there was an actual legit NovaRider gang striking fear into the hearts of the mild mannered. Those Riders were the real deal and more. They’d sweep in screaming thrash music on all frequencies, so when the poor marks went to comm for help all they would hear is D-Struct singing her head off. You know some Senator at the time actually tried to get playing her music banned for a bit? Nothing makes for a sold-out concert tour like some button-down telling everyone that your sound is ‘too dangerous.’

And then there were the scummers who were plundering under the NovaRider banner before them. Real low of the low. Now, those Riders were known for only hitting cruisers. They would always have one of their own traveling aboard incognito with the rest of the passengers, and then halfway through the flight, their friends would show up knocking outside and they’d be kind enough to open the door. Best part was they always left everyone aboard naked. Figured it bought them a few extra minutes since the advos would usually stop to gawp a bit at all the tasty.

You know, doing all this reminiscing, I’m realizing now that some of you smooth cheeked sorts might think NovaRiders actually came from AC first, which if you ask me is a tragedy of Vega proportions. Guess it’s up to me to educate the masses. Gather around, kiddos, for your outlaw history lesson of the week.

The truth is that the NovaRiders were the first gang to ever fly the black. See, long ago, a ship cost so many creds that — actually I guess it would have been CTRs … or were they still on dollars back then? Doesn’t matter. Point is, they were so expensive that only corps and bougebags could afford ’em and so all the hitters would operate out of stations and ports. Ship would land looking to unload, some friendly folks in masks would be waiting with guns to greet them and that would be that. Until the NovaRiders changed everything.
See, the Riders were the first outlaws to ever hit a spaceship mid-flight. Blew everyone’s minds right out the top of their hats when it happened. Can you image the look on that first pilot’s face? There they are flying around thinking they’re safe when out of nowhere a ship full of nasties drops in and takes ’em for all they’re worth.

I’ll tell you one thing, bet it was a hell of a lot easier to earn back then. Not like now when every slowboat out there’s packing trip-repeats and enough missiles to crack a planet. Of course I say that, but on the bright side, at least I have other outlaws to distract the officials when I’m in trouble. The NovaRiders didn’t wind up lasting very long. After pulling a handful of jobs and freaking the hell out of the people in charge, in swoops the military eager to make everyone feel good about themselves again. Hard cut, no more NovaRiders. At least for a few years.

Wasn’t long before another group used the name. Sort of became a tradition. Every few years a new group would take it upon themselves to carry on. There’s been at least —

[ Proximity Alert ]

… No way in hell … What is with this guy!? drat it.

[ Engines Starting ]

I swear if I find out those rotten NovaRider punks ratted me, next thing I sell ’em will be a bullet to the brain.

B0otyCall out!

Kill Jester.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

nice velour dinner jacket you twat :dealwithit:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

Pretty sure they're getting it from poo poo like this, and worse.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/08/14/vox-day-too-many-black-people-make-the-continuation-of-western-civilization-impossible/

He's not fond of people who are not white.

Looking forward to the Vox Day versions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxvAUXToSqM

Sic semper fascist shitheads

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

That's a pretty handsome cat

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MeLKoR posted:

Looking forward to the Vox Day versions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxvAUXToSqM

Sic semper fascist shitheads

I prefer the Guile Theme one.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Saw this on my news feed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwJF-bW7s9k

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Version_Notes_2017_01_18

Rank loving amateurs, talking about actual gameplay mechanics, numbers and code in their regular transparent updates to their pre-alpha game made in collaboration with the players. I think they have a thing or two to learn from SC when it comes to open development!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i mean these loving clowns even let you look at the source code and perhaps even contribute to development

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Getting_Started_With_Unreal_Tournament

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

MC68000 posted:

This.

People on the discord asked me to chime in on this over the holidays...

Full disclosure I've worked with a lot of mocap mostly in Feature Film including building/simulating digital stunt doubles [and head/body replacements] for various movies at ILM. I currently work for a games company. It's odd that Chris is going for a feature film approach to mocap. It's not cheap.

Here is mocap costs in the LA area: Super Low Budget mocap up in the Valley or Burbank area runs around $700/hr for a bare bones setup with a supervisor and 2 tech artists in a garage space, and up to $2500 per hour for a larger sound stage facility with VICAM systems and the like. What I'm seeing from CIG is... uh a lot of work for a video game. Granted the last time I got quotes was about 2 years ago there's probably a few guys doing flat rate captures for a day but that's just basic skeleton mocap, nothing fancy.

I saw a few samples of CIG actually using Lidar facial capture which... is additional cost and resources needed to clean that up into usable data. So add to the above figures.

Mocap is just expensive animation reference. There's a few places where you can plug in raw data and have it run with rigs in real time [DreamWorks Animation has one of these facilities in Glendale] but even then that data has to be cleaned up for production use to remove any pops and blend motion.

Someone has to go through hours of work per take to clean stuff up into useable data. For a movie, you try to minimize the amount of mocap cleanup needed on a show.

Wasn't there a slide somewhere that showed that they had over 200 hours of captured data for various character actions? That is several man-years of work to clean up for a team of people.

What would have made more sense was just to record facial of actors and do all the body/rig stuff with a system like Xsens which allow you to have animators run around wearing capture suits with a backpack outside or wherever and just constantly do mocap as needed for character actions. No overhead, no crazy soundstage rental, etc. Just record, act out motions and sample/clip your data and start working with it. Parent in the facial capture at a later date assuming you got decent body/facial rig setups.

Lastly... who hires Andy "$$$$" Serkis as a mocap performer for a game? Nuts.

Basically this: :suspense:

I'd love the see CIG/F42 succeed on some sustainable level, just to avoid a few hundred folks getting tossed out of work, I just can't see a sustainable path unless they keep the money coming in somehow.

I know a bunch of people who work at Peter Jackson's digital FX studios, and they have a loving army (a couple of medium sized offices iirc) there plugging away at processing and fixing up mocap data, sixty hours a week per person on average. I wasn't made privy to their schedules for obvius reasons, but from the gossip I heard about what films were being worked on, 200h of mocap seems like a hell of a lot more than several man-years worth of work.

Also I ran into Andy Serkis once, briefly, and he seemed like a chill and cool kind of guy.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Crazy Achmed posted:

I know a bunch of people who work at Peter Jackson's digital FX studios, and they have a loving army (a couple of medium sized offices iirc) there plugging away at processing and fixing up mocap data, sixty hours a week per person on average. I wasn't made privy to their schedules for obvius reasons, but from the gossip I heard about what films were being worked on, 200h of mocap seems like a hell of a lot more than several man-years worth of work.

Also I ran into Andy Serkis once, briefly, and he seemed like a chill and cool kind of guy.

it's 10x as long as a movie with 10x the speaking roles but is also the best game that will ever be made and debut in the top five selling games of all time so I see no problem with CIG managing to do this on their own.

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs
Is there funding counter as imaginary as the game is or do they really get $40k-$50k a day for no reason?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Fain80 posted:

Is there funding counter as imaginary as the game is or do they really get $40k-$50k a day for no reason?

Derek alleges it's fake with zero proof ever provided, and will just link back to other times he has said it's fake.

The thread speculates and bounces back and forth between

"People can't be that stupid it has to be fake"
"Well it would take a certain amount of desperately stupid, which isn't impossible just implausible"
"Maybe they are folding in investment income? Like a $10,000,000 loan gets spread out in $40,000 daily increments for 250 days"

It's too regular to be real though and something is going on with it. They have periods during dead months where they regularly pull roughly the same amount in every day. Also despite weeks / months of downtime and no releases they have huge funding spikes somehow.

Like they are still on a barely functioning 2.6 they poo poo out half broken which is a hilarious embarrassment to gaming as a whole, but yet they are pulling down $80,000 tuesdays somehow months later.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 24, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

"S42 has grown exponentially in ambition in scope since first pitched in 2012"

This is a heading you would expect to see in a post-mortem failure analysis or panicked meeting about deadlines, not something to be touted as a positive.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Incoming sale.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

So imagine u quantum jumped out into the outer reaches of space from a system. Taking u 1 hour to jump. U got the location from a hard to find npc. He tells u that an unknown horror lurks out there but there is for told treasure to be had.
After to fly all the way out there and fight the monster(s) and get your sick new ship addon. How amazing will it feel knowing your all alone out in the deep black. No one can scan u down. And if they did by luck they would never make the 1 hour jump. I want that feeling of being small and lost. Having only my ship to keep me alive while i hunt for truly rare artefacts.
Only after when i come back i will have that 1000 yard stare , the same that all people get after making the truly deep jumps.
Even having a ship that can jump that far might need uber modding just to be as efficient as necessary with large enough fuel tanks.
People would see your ship docked and be thinking 'drat, now thats a deep space vessel.'

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Well we know that most of the people funding the game don't play it. Only about 1000 people have played Star Marine for more than 2 hours as of a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Derek alleges it's fake with zero proof ever provided, and will just link back to other times he has said it's fake.

The thread speculates and bounces back and forth between

"People can't be that stupid it has to be fake"
"Well it would take a certain amount of desperately stupid, which isn't impossible just implausible"
"Maybe they are folding in investment income? Like a $10,000,000 loan gets spread out in $40,000 daily increments for 250 days"

It's too regular to be real though and something is going on with it. They have periods during dead months where they regularly pull roughly the same amount in every day. Also despite weeks / months of downtime and no releases they have huge funding spikes somehow.

Like they are still on a barely functioning 2.6 they poo poo out half broken which is a hilarious embarrassment to gaming as a whole, but yet they are pulling down $80,000 tuesdays somehow months later.

I can't imagine more and more people buying in at this point, nor people who backed already to keep finding something to spend on outside of sales. Yet the funding always stays above a certain level. How likely is it they never have down days? How likely is it they keep getting such steady funding? Not even changes based on the day of the week?

For a long time I thought the game was really active and the hype was widespread, but now I am starting to see that it is really just a few people and this thread that are hanging on. It fills me with a sad as well as a suspicion for the above.