Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Labours best bet is really to let Brexit happen and then see if they can get an election a year or two after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think we’re going to have to wait the whole three sadly, but we’ll get there.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Labours best bet is really to let Brexit happen and then see if they can get an election a year or two after.
lol

cannot wait for Labour to come to power after a massive recession and human/worker's rights furnacing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jBrereton posted:

lol

cannot wait for Labour to come to power after a massive recession and human/worker's rights furnacing

Yeah I'd rather we have an election now, but the governing party don't seem terribly thrilled with the idea

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

lol

Well, even the best polls probably go them looking at a coalition, likley with snp and maybe even with Lib Dems if the election were held now or right before brexit, let's say they get some sort of deal, the economy will still be suffering and the entire time any attempts to make things better will hinge on relying on Blairites, and Lib Dems deciding to not scuttle any such plans that shift away from neoliberlaism. I love Corbyn, but he needs parliament support to make this work and without a workable majority he'll be forced into some coalition that will likley within two to three years rip itself apart and not be able to make the real changes that have to be made to Britain. For Corbyn or anyone else who recognizes Britain nees changes to win they ned the majority of the public to see that Labour is the only way. Look, tell me how he is able to make the drastic changes neceserry with a coalition that includes Lib Dems and a still active Blairite faction.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm not gonna read that whole word salad but the lib dems would rather coalition with the Tories than Labour, or nobody at the moment. Labour has to win-win any election.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

I'm not gonna read that whole word salad but the lib dems would rather coalition with the Tories than Labour, or nobody at the moment. Labour has to win-win any election.

Which they currently cannot, Period. Also I suspect you cannot read it because it challenges your views. Labour to win has to have a majority that cannot be sabotaged by the Blairites. This is the situation until the Balirites either leave the party through deselection and their threats of a splinter group, or recognize their complete impotence (lol) this will not change. I just don't see that changing in the time that still exists before Brexit.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Aug 22, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the Tories actually believed that they'd call another election in a heartbeat. It's not a sure thing but all polling suggests it is possible for Labour to win a general election.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Labour have also been massively building on their ground game in preparation for another election. Once things are go I wouldn't be surprised if they surged in ratings again

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the Tories actually believed that they'd call another election in a heartbeat. It's not a sure thing but all polling suggests it is possible for Labour to win a general election.

They would? Perhaps I'm just suffering from watching from America but the Tory party seems to be rather incompetent.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

They would? Perhaps I'm just suffering from watching from America but the Tory party seems to be rather incompetent.

Well, that's where your thesis falls down. Corbyn has his problems, but the Tories have no leader that they actually support, and presently, no credible alternate leader they would support.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Why do people within the party seek to supplant Theresa May again?
Once Brexit hits the fan, being in any position of leadership is gonna get toxic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Avirosb posted:

Why do people within the party seek to supplant Theresa May again?
Once Brexit hits the fan, being in any position of leadership is gonna get toxic.

Once May signs the deal (or not) then her successor gets all the credit from businesses for selling everything for pennies, credit from the racists for deporting everyone they don't like and they can blame May for the terrible consequences of doing that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don’t think the polls now are gonna reflect the polls post Brexit very well.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Which they currently cannot, Period. Also I suspect you cannot read it because it challenges your views.
I can't read it because if you mention the lib dems more than once in a paragraph as if they are relevant I'm gonna assume your opinion is utter drivel

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

I can't read it because if you mention the lib dems more than once in a paragraph as if they are relevant I'm gonna assume your opinion is utter drivel

i think we're going to have to brace for an SNP coalition of some flavor - i just can't see the math working out any other way. several points of labour's current numbers are trapped in useless SNP ridings.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

i think we're going to have to brace for an SNP coalition of some flavor - i just can't see the math working out any other way. several points of labour's current numbers are trapped in useless SNP ridings.
who knows if they'd even be up for it, given their parties' completely opposing views on the SNP's whole raison d'être and the SNP probably not wanting to be a part of any government that at any time endorsed Brexit for the whole UK including Scotland. Maybe though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

Yeah the SNP cannot be trusted. Frankly no left wing party should ever rely on secessionist parties to enact policies. Secessionist will lilky both ask for secession votes, that will weaken the left wing party, and two ask for special treatment for their region. Plus there is the fact that SNP are neolibs themselves with some soc dem trappings.

Also I see that the reason Jbreton posted what he did was that he couldn't deal with a differing perspective.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Surely the SNP realise if they keep Labour out of power Labour just reruns the election with the message that voting for the SNP is risking a Conservative goverment

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah the SNP cannot be trusted. Frankly no left wing party should ever rely on secessionist parties to enact policies. Secessionist will lilky both ask for secession votes, that will weaken the left wing party, and two ask for special treatment for their region. Plus there is the fact that SNP are neolibs themselves with some soc dem trappings.
love that Internationalism With Chauvinistic Characteristics

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

Surely the SNP realise if they keep Labour out of power Labour just reruns the election with the message that voting for the SNP is risking a Conservative goverment
If they keep Labour out of power, Labour doesn't get to rerun the election.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jBrereton posted:

If they keep Labour out of power, Labour doesn't get to rerun the election.

If no one can form a government you kinda have to rerun it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

love that Internationalism With Chauvinistic Characteristics

Hey, you're the one wanting to negotiate with neolibs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

who knows if they'd even be up for it, given their parties' completely opposing views on the SNP's whole raison d'être and the SNP probably not wanting to be a part of any government that at any time endorsed Brexit for the whole UK including Scotland. Maybe though.

give labour and the snp a majority of seats and they'll loving work something out. i don't know how formal (or stable lol) it will be ie confidence and supply or what the gently caress ever - some poo poo's getting banged together.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like be realpoltikikal for a fuckin second here there's too much to both gain and lose for them not to play ball. it might even be useful for labour (big loving might)- they can dangle some super soft brexit (that the membership wanted anyway) in exchange for concessions and no longer be reliant the hooeys or even the skinners - "snp's twistin my arm, gotta!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

multijoe posted:

Labour have also been massively building on their ground game in preparation for another election. Once things are go I wouldn't be surprised if they surged in ratings again

Once the election rules go into effect, where you can't just make up anything you want and put it in the papers, Labour's poll numbers go way up, don't they?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

prefect posted:

Once the election rules go into effect, where you can't just make up anything you want and put it in the papers, Labour's poll numbers go way up, don't they?

man this is something that people have taken on faith, it seems...suspect. our campaign finance election laws are violated literally constantly, why on earth would this one be respected?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

If no one can form a government you kinda have to rerun it.
I think it would kinda depend on which party got the most votes and whether a minority government of some kind could form without the Tories necessarily depending on votes from Scottish/Welsh nationalists. They could maybe trundle on if they lost another 10 seats but the LDs picked a couple of them up.

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey, you're the one wanting to negotiate with neolibs.
how loving dense would you have to be that you would a) act as if Labour doesn't already unequally prioritise certain regions even inside England let alone the rest of the UK with its proposed policies (like London in terms of infrastructure spend, unbelievably), and b) act as though anyone propping up a government which has a somewhat different policy outlook to itself shouldn't expect to gain somehow by doing so?

The SNP are not mugs. They would not back up a Labour government, which they would be fighting to get votes from, if it didn't have a tangible benefit to itself and the people of Scotland. They would be judged by their voters harshly if they didn't. Same as Plaid. And in neither case is that unreasonable nor unexpected, much like people in England voting Labour and hoping to benefit from a Labour government.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CoolCab posted:

man this is something that people have taken on faith, it seems...suspect. our campaign finance election laws are violated literally constantly, why on earth would this one be respected?

That's true -- there have been a bunch of stories about cheating the election laws for Brexit stuff. It kind of seems enough that the vote shouldn't count, but that would only piss people off. :shrug:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

CoolCab posted:

This one can be seen and prosecuted in real-time, rather than a year after the fact when it doesn't even matter.

jBrereton posted:

I think it would kinda depend on which party got the most votes and whether a minority government of some kind could form without the Tories necessarily depending on votes from Scottish/Welsh nationalists. They could maybe trundle on if they lost another 10 seats but the LDs picked a couple of them up.

I must be parsing this wrong because there is literally no way that Plaid would (or could tbh) ever support the Tories on anything ever.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

why would they?

the general public has never liked Corbyn even if they generally like Labour policies. That's part of why Labour didn't win the last election. The Tories somehow managed to create a manifesto so awful and irredeemable even to Tory voters that they tried to claim its contents didn't exist, Theresa May didn't even show up to a TV debate, and Labour still didn't win.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Saith posted:

I must be parsing this wrong because there is literally no way that Plaid would (or could tbh) ever support the Tories on anything ever.
I'm saying I think they'd only get the okay to form a minority government if it didn't require Plaid/the SNP, and instead relied on the LDs and DUP to edge over the top

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

prefect posted:

there isn't any election specific regulation of the press here is there? they're free to print whatever they want all year round

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

That's true -- there have been a bunch of stories about cheating the election laws for Brexit stuff. It kind of seems enough that the vote shouldn't count, but that would only piss people off. :shrug:
the government sent out a mail shot to everyone in the country urging them not to vote for Brexit before the official campaigning and finance restrictions started; much like a lot of the Russia complaints in the US it comes across as sour grapes

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

there isn't any election specific regulation of the press here is there? they're free to print whatever they want all year round

no there def is some, it's why the BBC can't do a newspaper roundup on election day at least

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

why would they?

the general public has never liked Corbyn even if they generally like Labour policies. That's part of why Labour didn't win the last election. The Tories somehow managed to create a manifesto so awful and irredeemable even to Tory voters that they tried to claim its contents didn't exist, Theresa May didn't even show up to a TV debate, and Labour still didn't win.

Whether a candidate is liked doesn't really matter, what matters is if they have their party behind them. Note what was even more openly backstabbing Corbyn in 2017. The Blairites. A election in three years time could give Corbyn enough time to take the neceserry steps to purify the party.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

There is a general call for ~balance~ that means you can't for example just get Tories in to explain why their policies are good (although even the Tory run Daily / Sunday Politics tends not to do this, to get some drama in the room if nothing else) while Labour get no airtime etc.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

jBrereton posted:

I'm saying I think they'd only get the okay to form a minority government if it didn't require Plaid/the SNP, and instead relied on the LDs and DUP to edge over the top

Okay fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

why would they?

the "labour didn't win, the conservatives lost!" narrative is sort of countered by voter turnout. if the contest was between two candidates their respective electorates didn't like we'd have depressed turnouts (see Trump/Clinton 2016 iirc). the exact opposite happened - both parties put more butts in booths than they had in decades - in labour's case in generations.

despite the fact that the leadership candidates both had some abysmal personal ratings people did turn up to vote, which suggests people were engaged with the process - a ground game maybe, or better local candidates. this also has a significant demographic impact - if labour keeps winning every demo that was under 50 in 2017 they're in incredibly good shape.