Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Basically any time I play anything SMW or older I ask myself repeatedly how the gently caress we ever beat any of these games as kids

My Zelda story is that I had a gastrointestinal whoopsie as a 7 y/o and boy does this date me but my Mom rented me Zelda 1 and that distracted me from the big oof.

I missed out on an airshow with my Dad, brother and uncle. But I was absorbed in the game.

Did a similar thing with Minish Cap and my old GBA.

Good medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MokBa posted:

Speaking of Zelda merch, Uniqlo has some TotK t-shirts right now. I snagged the Korok one because it was cute and subtle. The quality is great!

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/spl/ut/zelda

These are dope! Got two for my son and hopefully the small is too big for him so I can squeeze into it and cosplay myself from 2002.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Basically any time I play anything SMW or older I ask myself repeatedly how the gently caress we ever beat any of these games as kids

Remember a few years back, when Mario 3D All-Stars got released around the time they made that THPS 1+2 game? That lead to a weird situation for me; watching quite a few big streamers absolutely struggling to play games I beat when I was 10 or younger. And Im not some ultra Pro-Gamer or anything either, and this ain’t me trying to be all smug or anything, but it was just weird to watch, Y’know?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My first Zelda experience was the very first one on the NES at the home daycare I went to when I was 6 or 7. This was back when smoking around kids wasn't considered a big deal so that's part of what's imprinted into my memories of playing it with the other kids over the summer. When I got BotW a couple summers ago, someone moved in to an apartment with an adjacent balcony who smoked the exact same brand of cigarettes. It was the most nostalgic feeling ever and it felt absolutely perfect. I'm still not sure what brand it is, just that it was unmistakably the same ones.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Wait, now I can't remember - did discovering Ganondorf cause the Upheavel or was it the Upheavel that led to the discovery of Ganondorf? I think it's the latter.

The Upheaval happened when he woke up. But also gloom was already showing up all over the castle so the seal was going to fail no matter what. Zelda and Link just showed up right as that was going to happen.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Remember a few years back, when Mario 3D All-Stars got released around the time they made that THPS 1+2 game? That lead to a weird situation for me; watching quite a few big streamers absolutely struggling to play games I beat when I was 10 or younger. And Im not some ultra Pro-Gamer or anything either, and this ain’t me trying to be all smug or anything, but it was just weird to watch, Y’know?

lol I remember there was someone in the Switch thread that couldn’t stop posting videos of themselves getting owned by SM64 repeatedly

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol I remember there was someone in the Switch thread that couldn’t stop posting videos of themselves getting owned by SM64 repeatedly

I got owned by SM64 repeatedly when I played that a couple years back because the camera and controls have aged past the point of being fun :c00lbutt:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MokBa posted:

Speaking of Zelda merch, Uniqlo has some TotK t-shirts right now. I snagged the Korok one because it was cute and subtle. The quality is great!

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/spl/ut/zelda

Same, the korok design is pretty great for pooping on me

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I just learned the story of the Great Sky Island. That story sucked.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got owned by SM64 repeatedly when I played that a couple years back because the camera and controls have aged past the point of being fun :c00lbutt:

My best memory of SM64 was the first time I did mushrooms. It was amazing for about ten minutes before I went outside for a walk and became terrified of the moon.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

QR Code Geass posted:

My best memory of SM64 was the first time I did mushrooms. It was amazing for about ten minutes before I went outside for a walk and became terrified of the moon.

Imagine if you found the piano from world 5 like that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

QR Code Geass posted:

That was majora's mask

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Tunicate posted:

That was majora's mask

Hahah that took me a few years. I was terrified of the actual United States Moon.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I saw a moon rise behind a tree on 2ci and it turned into a Phoenix

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

QR Code Geass posted:

Hahah that took me a few years. I was terrified of the actual United States Moon.

Americans have their own moon?! You bastards get everything

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

YggiDee posted:

Americans have their own moon?! You bastards get everything

We do (it has our own flags on it and everything), but we share it with everyone else. Back in 1983, a plane crashed at night due to a Soviet plot to use a weather machine to block out the stars, so Reagan had the military make the moon visible to all civilians to try and thwart them. Berlin Wall fell six years later as a result, though not before Soviet propagandists successfully convinced everyone that we'd been racing them to our own moon in the sixties.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I assume they’re talking about the Hollywood sound stage where the RIGGED HOAX MOON LANDING was filmed

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
they filmed it on Mars. come on, keep up dude

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Surprised no one else posted this yet, but Nintendo released an anniversary update to this image:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

These are dope! Got two for my son and hopefully the small is too big for him so I can squeeze into it and cosplay myself from 2002.

I'm loving it because it's not like an obvious nerdy graphic tee at first glance.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Ravenson posted:

We do (it has our own flags on it and everything), but we share it with everyone else. Back in 1983, a plane crashed at night due to a Soviet plot to use a weather machine to block out the stars, so Reagan had the military make the moon visible to all civilians to try and thwart them. Berlin Wall fell six years later as a result, though not before Soviet propagandists successfully convinced everyone that we'd been racing them to our own moon in the sixties.

If you listen to QI they have a running gag about how many moons the earth has. Hint: it's more than one but changes based on the season. drat you Stephen Fry and or Sandi.

That leaves plenty of moon for the lesser countries.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MokBa posted:

Surprised no one else posted this yet, but Nintendo released an anniversary update to this image:

God drat I love that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The good thing about old NES is you could pick up a game and just play it for the most part. One thing that turned me off to modern gaming for a while was going through hours long tutorials just learn basic gameplay.

This is why I liked BoTW so much- it didn't really dawn upon me for a long time that the Plateau was the tutorial area because it didn't have the usual lame "hit these targets in by doing X. Now hit them by pressing X then Y!" poo poo.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Where’s the dlc miyamoto

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they literally said they arent doing any

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Super No Vacancy posted:

they literally said they arent doing any

Shut up!!!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

maybe they'll add a new paraglider fabric to botw switch 2 version

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Where's the ROMhack that combines the two games?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm starting to get sucked back into BoTW. I think I need to just fight Ganon and finish ToTK. I got a bunch of sidequests left undone and some sage's wills remaining, but every time I try to putz around and finish that stuff in ToTK I just get bored. Riding around on a horse and exploring BoTW with just five hearts is a lot more fun than searching every inch of sky islands for treasure chests. I think it's an example of less is more. They really pulled off the adventurer exploring the wilderness thing really well in this game.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I will say, I wouldn’t mind terribly if they dialed back the scope of the next one just a bit if it means more old-style dungeons, more variety and depth to sidequests, a more story-driven game, etc

Which means they will do none of those things lmao

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The criticism that the depths and sky islands are just full of copy and pasting comes to mind. And the surface world is fhe same except with sky ruins cluttering the landscape and as many caves, bokoblins, koroks, etc. as they could cram in per square inch. Boy I'm really coming down hard on TotK all of a sudden. Maybe I should do the final fight and see the ending before I pronounce it 10lbs of poo poo in a 5lb bag.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Go kill Ganondorf already

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

The criticism that the depths and sky islands are just full of copy and pasting comes to mind. And the surface world is fhe same except with sky ruins cluttering the landscape and as many caves, bokoblins, koroks, etc. as they could cram in per square inch. Boy I'm really coming down hard on TotK all of a sudden. Maybe I should do the final fight and see the ending before I pronounce it 10lbs of poo poo in a 5lb bag.

Go kill Ganondorf. Take it from someone who's a bit down on the game. There's a lot of fun to be had.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I started a new TotK save earlier this month, actually. Last night, I got up to one of the sky islands over the Great Plateau where there's some pools you can drain. So I did that and nabbed a bunch of fish. Night fell and fireflies appeared over the empty pool. It was a real pretty and serene moment.

Game good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have it. The new Zelda gimmick came to me in a dream. Link can make himself microscopic. Imagine a Honey I Shrunk the Kids version of Hyrule. The insides of your enemies are like dungeons. Imagine exploring the depths of a moblin.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
you mean Minish Cap?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
With an intriguing vore flavor

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OoT already had an inside of a fish dungeon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It sucked getting a new Nintendo game and then struggling to get past a very early level

If you can't beat it over a weekend rental, you'll just have to get your parents to buy it. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Insert credit has the fun observation that in the new series Link has the ability to climb and glide, he has gained the powers of Knuckles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Now I kind of want a rom hack where they replace link with Knuckles.

In the most inappropriate of times his theme needs to play. Like during a sad part "MY NAME IS KNUCKLES. I DONT CHUCKLE"