Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mod sassinator posted:

The trick with the cheap calipers is to never store them with the battery plugged in. Pop it out after every use, that way it will never be drained when you need them next. For some drat reason (lazy mcu sleep management likely) every single cheap caliper will drain its battery in a matter of days just sitting on the shelf.

The problem with mine is that the jaws for measuring the inside are off slightly and I can't zero them properly. I noticed this after measuring a shaft and bore and the measurement of the bore was coming in smaller than the shaft that was going through it.

I just never trusted the measurements ever since. Maybe I should just get one of the machinists to alter them for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
After my machine shop class, I grew to like the ones with the dials much more than digital. Supposedly more accurate, but I don't want to worry about cheap electronics or watch batteries loving things up.

I think we had Fowlers, which run about $40 a pair for either digital or dial

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The advantage to digital is being able to swap between imperial and metric, and maybe imperial fractional if you have fancy ones.

Otherwise dials are better for everything else.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The reason I like digital is it lets me measure something that I can't really see straight on, blind press "zero", take the calipers out, close them, and get a reading equal to the negative of the original measurement.

Seems stupid, but I use it a surprising amount.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

After my machine shop class, I grew to like the ones with the dials much more than digital.

Until you get old and your eyes take a set, like Queen Combat explained a couple years ago, and you need like 5 times the amount of light to see things close up and even then you can't make out what you used to.

I used to be able to read microprint on currency. poo poo... now I can hardly real small font. And it all changed within 5 years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one who makes money with them is going to be caught dead buying used callipers, so they don’t hold their value, but I, for one, would much rather have used Mitutoyo than a new Amazon special.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I bought a Husky digital caliper thing from HD and it does metric, imperial and imp fractions. Seems to have held up for 6 months I think now and I leave the battery in it. Probably good value for a homeowner but not professional level.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Fowler dial calipers were almost all we used in machine labs besides micrometers, so that's what I've stuck with at home.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mod sassinator posted:

The trick with the cheap calipers is to never store them with the battery plugged in. Pop it out after every use, that way it will never be drained when you need them next. For some drat reason (lazy mcu sleep management likely) every single cheap caliper will drain its battery in a matter of days just sitting on the shelf.

Yeah, from my understanding/real life use the el-cheapo case keeps it "on" when closed when not careful.

With that said, tons of knock-offs for the real stuff so be careful.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Highly recommend the iGauging digital calipers that land in the $40-$50 range. I've got 3 pairs in regular use, they're all square and accurate according to my gauge blocks, don't have battery drain problems, etc. Really great.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hypnolobster posted:

Highly recommend the iGauging digital calipers that land in the $40-$50 range. I've got 3 pairs in regular use, they're all square and accurate according to my gauge blocks, don't have battery drain problems, etc. Really great.

Third'ed. I've got their calipers and some mics. They all are accurate when compared to gage pins/blocks.
They also take CR2032's not those awful LR44 batteries.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Calipers are totally my jam and had to look long and hard to find a set to replace my beloved lost 8" Mitos that I had in my folder for at least 10 years. I ended up with an 8" set of old school verniers (I personally can't stand digital) made by Asimeto. Very happy with them and reasonably priced. Interestingly, the Amazon.ca website has a decent selection while amazon.com seems to suck.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm not an expert but I have these calipers and they were recommended by the gun nerds for reloading ammo. They've worked great for me for that purpose.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm not an expert but I have these calipers and they were recommended by the gun nerds for reloading ammo. They've worked great for me for that purpose.

Thank you, I just ordered a set because I've not been able to find my other set (that was similarly priced and not garbage). I've been holding off because so many of them seem to have problems in this price range and was too lazy to slog through to figure out which ones to buy again.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I have a set of Mitutoyo's at work that I've had for years and never replaced the battery in that I remember. I know I've left them on overnight/over weekends multiple times.
Is the power management/usage on them just that much nicer than cheap ones?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boxen posted:

I have a set of Mitutoyo's at work that I've had for years and never replaced the battery in that I remember. I know I've left them on overnight/over weekends multiple times.
Is the power management/usage on them just that much nicer than cheap ones?

Some of the cheap ones literally just don't turn off at all, even the the LCD is off. Somebody did a video on a bunch of them and checked the....parasitic draw I'd guess you'd call it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anyone have recommendations for under the pants knee pads? I never know what I'm doing day to day and so I almost always forget my regular ones at the shop

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone have recommendations for under the pants knee pads? I never know what I'm doing day to day and so I almost always forget my regular ones at the shop

You could buy motorcycle jeans and slip pads into them. Expensive, but my Scorpion jeans are the most comfortable jeans I've ever bought.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Don’t some carhartt pants have pockets for knee pads? I swear one pair I had a few years ago had them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

NinjaTech posted:

Don’t some carhartt pants have pockets for knee pads? I swear one pair I had a few years ago had them.

I'm wearing a pair right now that have them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
All double front Carhartt pants have holes at the bottom of the double front. It's either for fold-up kneepads or letting dirt and wood chips fall out when you wear through the first layer. B136 is all I wear, and thin foam pads work great in them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i bought a pair of those in 33x36 and the legs were absolutely jnco sized

had to take them back and get one of the slimmer fit flex varieties

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sharkytm posted:

All double front Carhartt pants have holes at the bottom of the double front. It's either for fold-up kneepads or letting dirt and wood chips fall out when you wear through the first layer. B136 is all I wear, and thin foam pads work great in them.

Touche.
Yeah, I guess technically they might not be "pad pockets" they just have holes in the bottoms of the double front.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm on the Duluth bandwagon already, their 100% "Firehose" pants are amazing for both welding and construction. I do love my carhartt jacket, gloves, shirts, and hat, but Duluth's crotch gimmick really gives me a lot of comfortable movement. Hell the only hole in either of my pairs that I've worn 2-3 times a week for 4 months is from rubbing against loose roofing utility blades in my pocket for weeks; not only because I'm dumb enough to do that, but because they're thick enough to not worry about leaving sharp metal in my pockets for long periods of time

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Door Frame posted:

I'm on the Duluth bandwagon already, their 100% "Firehose" pants are amazing for both welding and construction. I do love my carhartt jacket, gloves, shirts, and hat, but Duluth's crotch gimmick really gives me a lot of comfortable movement. Hell the only hole in either of my pairs that I've worn 2-3 times a week for 4 months is from rubbing against loose roofing utility blades in my pocket for weeks; not only because I'm dumb enough to do that, but because they're thick enough to not worry about leaving sharp metal in my pockets for long periods of time

Hell yeah. I've got two pairs of the full blown firehose pants and 3 of the flex version (5 pocket, and.. contractor? something like that). They're insanely comfortable, insanely durable. The eventual death of all of mine is slowing wearing a butt-hole into them, which I'm fine with. I tend to wear one pair essentially daily until they wear out, and then I generally can return them for a replacement.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wera tools are on sale today:
https://smile.amazon.com/deal/4e77b027

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have the joker combo wrenches? Are they worth it? I've been meaning to get a set of combo wrenches for over a year and have just been waiting for the right deal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Anyone have the joker combo wrenches? Are they worth it? I've been meaning to get a set of combo wrenches for over a year and have just been waiting for the right deal.
I have two (10mm and 13mm) and they've very, very nice to use. I don't know if they're quite worth the premium (they're $175 today vs a set of gearwrench is ... what, like $75, pretty often?) but if it were impulse territory or I had some disposable tool money, I'd buy them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

um excuse me posted:

I bought a four pack of my most used sizes. The quality is incredible, snug fit, and I do like the nut holding capability.

I can't say they're worth the premium over my Gearwrench ones. If I had no wrenches at all I would be better buying two sets of the Gearwrenchs for the same cost. The other downside is totally psychological, since they were so spendy I'm always afraid of losing them, which is also a secret upside since I won't lose them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I got a set of 4 joker wrenches and a 3/8" zyklop rachet like 2 weeks ago. The first as a splurge, the second because my 3/8"s AutoZone special from 13 years had gone missing.

Now I'm eyeing the sales trying to talk myself into something else.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That tool check plus metric for $57 is absolutely worth it

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

um excuse me posted:

I bought some and took them to a trackday. One of my fellow drivers had an issue with his rear brakes on his Mazdaspeed3; he was trying to do a quick swap on some components and it was taking him forever with the cheapie wrenches he'd brought along. I loaned him my joker set and he was able to get it done in around 10 minutes just due to the smaller ratchet rotation. He's been watching for a sale to buy himself a set since then.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been waiting for a deal, and while I think Bezos is basically the devil, I bought one for each of my wife's car and my daily. Agreed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Damnit, I missed it. :mad:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, credit card that was compromised didn't get replaced on time, guess the jokers will have to wait. It's not a screaming deal, according to the price history, anyways. Set up a notification on them, though. They seem very nice based on what I've heard, if not at the price they normally list for.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 22, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I got the small set (which is annoyingly 10-13-17-19, so no 15) and I don’t think I’d get them again. They’re nice, but the nut holder gimmick I’ve never used, and the ratchet is one way only, which means you have to flip the wrench instead of just the lever if you want to go the other way.

I mean if someone came and insisted to gift me the big set, I wouldn’t kick them out, but there are many things I’d buy before them.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I said “treat yo self” and got those. I needed a set of torx security bits for work and that was a good enough excuse for me to pull the trigger.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There are reports that some of Harbor Freight’s new Bauer tools can take Dewalt batteries with minimal effort.

https://reddit.com/r/harborfreight/comments/f8dbps/joined_the_bauewalt_revolution_took_me_more_time/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some decent deals on Milwaukee today at HD: https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-483420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't need another shop vac but that M18 one is tempting, I need another big battery.