Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

See, I remember really enjoying Witcher 1. But everyone I talk to slams it...and I seriously can't remember why. I have no idea why I remember it so well but no one else does - I feel that if I went to play it again after all these years, I'd probably go "Oh...yeah okay I see what they mean, this is terrible."

I've owned it for ages with the full intention of giving it a fair shake someday because I think the world is fun and I want to see what CDPR did with fewer resources, but...it just seems so daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
tried out dead rising 3. i returned the game (first time i ever tried steam refunds). it was pretty early on, but the game soft-locked when i quit to desktop.

which one's better to get atm, 1 or 2? i'm thinking 1 bc i liked the dawn of the dead feel it was going for in the mall. i feel like 3's world is too big for all the fetch-questing i'm gonna have to do. also, even though you can craft weapons on the fly now it felt like i couldn't make items unless i got the blueprint whereas i'm pretty sure in 2 you could discover new items as you combined them.

i hate the stagger this game has. one of the early boss fights was a swarm of bikers pelting molotovs at you and you can get caught in the stagger animation from the fire damage and then knocked down by one of the bikers as they zoom past you. lost planet had that poo poo too when you were too close to the bigger enemies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I loving loved the game at the time as well but looking back I'm struggling to remember why. It's awful.

u can be bros with a werewolf and thaler was a p cool spy.

credburn posted:

Oh -- I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't realize chibi had a broader definition. I love Bubble Bobble. I'll throw down over Bubble Bobble.

Anyway, what bothers me isn't just the creepy pedo chibi. It bothers me when they're supposed to be adults or maybe just older children but with their fat heads and huge eyes and fat arms and fat legs and squat bodies they look like babies. And then they're given stiletto heels and a two-piece leather outfit and it goes from being obnoxious to very uncomfortable.

stop playing Bratz games

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

tried out dead rising 3. i returned the game (first time i ever tried steam refunds). it was pretty early on, but the game soft-locked when i quit to desktop.

which one's better to get atm, 1 or 2? i'm thinking 1 bc i liked the dawn of the dead feel it was going for in the mall. i feel like 3's world is too big for all the fetch-questing i'm gonna have to do. also, even though you can craft weapons on the fly now it felt like i couldn't make items unless i got the blueprint whereas i'm pretty sure in 2 you could discover new items as you combined them.

i hate the stagger this game has. one of the early boss fights was a swarm of bikers pelting molotovs at you and you can get caught in the stagger animation from the fire damage and then knocked down by one of the bikers as they zoom past you. lost planet had that poo poo too when you were too close to the bigger enemies.

I think you should go for Dead Rising 2, it's the best of the three games. Dead Rising 3 is just awful garbage, one reason being that the story is just DR fanfiction

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

I think you should go for Dead Rising 2, it's the best of the three games. Dead Rising 3 is just awful garbage, one reason being that the story is just DR fanfiction

DR2 improved on the formula from the first game. I never played 3 but didn't it decide that Dead Rising was suddenly meant to be serious, as opposed to a game where you can dress up as a Servbot and ride zombies?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slime posted:

DR2 improved on the formula from the first game. I never played 3 but didn't it decide that Dead Rising was suddenly meant to be serious, as opposed to a game where you can dress up as a Servbot and ride zombies?

Well DR3 went back on that and tried to have "comedy"

that resulted in a boss fight being a fat woman on the scooter who vomits at you because you are trying to take her giant mound of food

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

that resulted in a boss fight being a fat woman on the scooter who vomits at you because you are trying to take her giant mound of food

Don't forget the BDSM dude with the cock&balls flamethrower/liquid nitrogen gun boss fight.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Laugh... and grow fat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

No. They showed one trailer at E3 that was cut to try and appeal to people who weren't already fans of the series and somehow people who never played the game constructed this entire narrative about it being grimdark and serious that has persisted for years.

Literally the first combo weapon you make is a giant exploding jack-in-the-box and within 5 minutes of the starting area you can be swordfighting with a shaolin monk, delivering shoryukens with jet-powered boxing gloves, or making a flying machine out of an umbrella and a dragon head.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I can't believe that a Dead Rising game would use crude, exaggerated stereotypes as bosses and punchlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKyqcHy394

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVedeZUZ0NQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04RRgyQMRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SpOmi9xao

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

No. They showed one trailer at E3 that was cut to try and appeal to people who weren't already fans of the series and somehow people who never played the game constructed this entire narrative about it being grimdark and serious that has persisted for years.

Literally the first combo weapon you make is a giant exploding jack-in-the-box and within 5 minutes of the starting area you can be swordfighting with a shaolin monk, delivering shoryukens with jet-powered boxing gloves, or making a flying machine out of an umbrella and a dragon head.

I can't believe that a Dead Rising game would use crude, exaggerated stereotypes as bosses and punchlines.

its ok, you dont have to defend a bad game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wasn't DR3 supposed to try and bring in the "cod crowd" as Capcom was still in that stage (and still might be) where every game they make they demand it makes cod numbers otherwise its written off as a failure?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

Wasn't DR3 supposed to try and bring in the "cod crowd" as Capcom was still in that stage (and still might be) where every game they make they demand it makes cod numbers otherwise its written off as a failure?

yes. i think they had done a good thing with letting you put points into attributes instead of it being decided by RNG, and letting you build combos anywhere, but not much else.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
was it flashlight + gems to make a lightsaber? or was it a specific stone?

early in the game it feels like they just sprinkle blueprints everywhere so it never feels like you figured out how to make a thing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

was it flashlight + gems to make a lightsaber? or was it a specific stone?

early in the game it feels like they just sprinkle blueprints everywhere so it never feels like you figured out how to make a thing.

Flashlight + gems, yeah.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

credburn posted:

Oh -- I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't realize chibi had a broader definition. I love Bubble Bobble. I'll throw down over Bubble Bobble.

Anyway, what bothers me isn't just the creepy pedo chibi. It bothers me when they're supposed to be adults or maybe just older children but with their fat heads and huge eyes and fat arms and fat legs and squat bodies they look like babies. And then they're given stiletto heels and a two-piece leather outfit and it goes from being obnoxious to very uncomfortable.

Are you ranting about a game in particular? You're being really specific about it and I'm kind of curious wtf it is.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Are you ranting about a game in particular? You're being really specific about it and I'm kind of curious wtf it is.

:pedo:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record is where the series hit it's peak imo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thoughts while playing Dark Souls for the first time after buying it three years ago:

Wow, jumping sucks. I sure hope there aren't any platforming levels in this game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Sen's Fortress is the reason I will never replay Dark Souls. I'd rather eat my entire computer than play it again.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Inco posted:

Sen's Fortress is the reason I will never replay Dark Souls. I'd rather eat my entire computer than play it again.

I loved sen's fortress. The unfinished lost izalith is what got me. Bloomtown.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sen's fortress wasn't that bad for me, that pain in the rear end silver knight archer gank squad in Anor Londo was way nastier than any of the traps In Sens.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I feel like Sen's fortress gets better the more you do it if you started out hating it. At least for me it did.

And no I don't recall any necessary jumps other than for items or shortcuts. It's the only redeeming aspect of the jumping in that game.

Edit: The archer runway was the exact opposite for me. First time I breezed through it and wondered why people hated it and then my second run I died to it once. Then a few times next run. Then I started using poison arrows cause gently caress it.

Futuresight has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
replay Sens Fortress but play the American Gladiators theme in the background

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sens Fortress is a 3D I Wanna Be the Guy level put in dark souls.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There are a couple games I've played, that thinking back, I loved them the first time; but you could spend a lot more time listing things wrong with them than right with them. The first Assassin's Creed sticks out. Also Dragon Age: Origins which I just picked up again.

There's a part in Redcliffe that I had forgotten about that's so dumb. I have Morrigan and Sten in my party - both no-nonsense, neutral-to-sinister-aligned party members.

We get to Redcliffe, because we need to get the aid of the dead King's brother Arl Redcliffe, who we have been told is vital to our mission of rallying an army and fighting the Dark Spawn Blight. When you get there though, the town of Redcliffe is under siege by an army of the dead. All of their resources are going to defending the village, and they can't even think about assaulting the castle to get to the Arl until that's dealt with.

So, in short: We need to fight the darkspawn -> so we need Arl Redcliffe's help -> so we need to help the village so the knights can help us rescue him in the castle.

But if you offer to help the village, Morrigan and Sten will bitch about it during every chat instance, and you lose tons of favor with them. "Why are we wasting time with this, we have to stop the blight?!" Man it's dumb.

Inquisition is $20, I should just buy that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sens fortress is super fair, everything in it can be expected if you just pay some attention. goddamn everything in sens is telegraphed as hell.

Eventually tho:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

There are a couple games I've played, that thinking back, I loved them the first time; but you could spend a lot more time listing things wrong with them than right with them. The first Assassin's Creed sticks out. Also Dragon Age: Origins which I just picked up again.

There's a part in Redcliffe that I had forgotten about that's so dumb. I have Morrigan and Sten in my party - both no-nonsense, neutral-to-sinister-aligned party members.

We get to Redcliffe, because we need to get the aid of the dead King's brother Arl Redcliffe, who we have been told is vital to our mission of rallying an army and fighting the Dark Spawn Blight. When you get there though, the town of Redcliffe is under siege by an army of the dead. All of their resources are going to defending the village, and they can't even think about assaulting the castle to get to the Arl until that's dealt with.

So, in short: We need to fight the darkspawn -> so we need Arl Redcliffe's help -> so we need to help the village so the knights can help us rescue him in the castle.

But if you offer to help the village, Morrigan and Sten will bitch about it during every chat instance, and you lose tons of favor with them. "Why are we wasting time with this, we have to stop the blight?!" Man it's dumb.

It's worth noting if you can just leave redcliffe and go do another one of the treaty quests. Next time you come back though the entire village will be slaughtered except for bann teagan because plot reasons.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Sep 28, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sens fortress is super fair, everything in it can be expected if you just pay some attention. goddamn everything in sens is telegraphed as hell.

Eventually tho:

Sens broke me the first time. it took me a long time to get back into it.

this was right after I had to deal with getting cursed twice and farming for purging stones bc Oswald originally didn't have them in stock.

it's kinda worth putting up with the bullshit just to see a snakeman get flattened by a boulder

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's worth noting if you can just leave redcliffe and go do another one of the treaty quests. Next time you come back though the entire village will be slaughtered except for bann teagan because plot reasons.

... I'm going to re load my save and do that. Trying to change things up this time. The game's so tedious in so many ways, but I really do like it a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sens can be a horrible experience if you're new and don't find the hidden bonfire or the cage shortcut.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed Dragon Age 1 at the time up until the mandatory Bioware "go to four locations in any order and do stuff" part that takes up the majority of the game, and two of those parts were utterly terrible (Mage Tower/Fade and Deep Roads), the elf forest I can't remember a thing about and Redcliffe was okay I guess, and then the endgame was a slog with some fun scenes.

So it started out decent, basically.

Still, it gave us the FAQ where a presumably coked-up-to-his-eyeballs David Gaider claimed that the game would let players "enslave nations with your powerful necromancy", only to later admit that there was no necromancy nor enslaving nations in the game and that he didn't mean it to be specific.

quote:

FAQ: As you play, your actions shape the destiny of the world. Unite a powerful kingdom under your wise and just rule, enslave nations beneath the tyranny of your powerful necromancy or forge a legend of your own making.

DGaider: That FAQ was written before the story was. You do not actually enslave nations in DA -- with or without necromancy. I think the intent when it was written was to talk more about the scope of what we would be doing rather than to promise certain events.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Sep 29, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Lavender posted:

Also any time you do anything that doesn't have an immediate and obvious payoff, no matter how good the potential reward actually is.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoyed Dragon Age 1 at the time up until the mandatory Bioware "go to four locations in any order and do stuff" part that takes up the majority of the game, and two of those parts were utterly terrible (Mage Tower/Fade and Deep Roads)
I don't understand why everyone hates the fade so much. The fade is fun. You get to be a fire dude and a giant stone dude. The ability to transform adds a neat twist to combat (as well as the fact that you're on your own for basically the only time in the game) and that section's not even very long.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The fade is neat the first time around but it's annoying on further playthroughs. Also it goes from team based Srpg to a weird single player adventure game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I figured out the arrow trap thing early on because if you just watch the first few snake men they'll walk on to the first arrow traps and it's a pretty good set up. The axes though. The axes hosed me up big time because I was really bad at dark souls my first time though.

Later on I started invading people just so I could shoot them off the axe paths.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The thing dragging down the rest of the Dragon Age series is only the first one lets you have a dog party member.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord Lambeth posted:

The fade is neat the first time around but it's annoying on further playthroughs. Also it goes from team based Srpg to a weird single player adventure game.

I found it kind of interesting that, while DA:O is a game that really benefits from replaying, it's also a game that for many reasons you absolutely don't want to play through a second time.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I got through Redcliffe on my second play through and then didn't want to do anything I could do next. I just played through the remaining origins and called it a day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I played through the mages and elves a second time, then part of the way through the dwarves I got to a fight that seems to be a massive difficulty spike (and unlike the revenants in the forest it seems to be mandatory), died a couple of times and gave up. I was enjoying it up to that point though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

It's a really lazy way to establish someone as a morally ambiguous or evil character. If it's in your direct interest to help someone out, and it usually is in an RPG, they shouldn't be complaining.

I thought she was a potentially interesting character, that whole business with her adoptive mother was intriguing and appropriately dark. But during regular quests she needs to shut the gently caress up instead of mentioning how she'd rather be out torturing kittens and why are we helping these peasants [who are directly involved with our main objective].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's a really lazy way to establish someone as a morally ambiguous or evil character. If it's in your direct interest to help someone out, and it usually is in an RPG, they shouldn't be complaining.

And then they take it to extremes in KOTOR 2 where you get Kreia whining at you whenever you help someone, and also whining at you whenever you harm someone.