Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I thought there was some books or comic series that was suppose to lead into that though? At least that's as much as i understand.

iirc, the comic's plot arc is very similar to the game's? the thing about Mad Max is--

RagnarokAngel posted:

Max is an almost mythological character and canon is very loose. Theres not really a direct connection.

--so there's all sorts of variations on a theme and repetition and it all feels kinda of cyclical. I disagree with the not really a direct connection thing, because with regards to Mad Max I always felt a statement like that was both true and false. They are supposed to be essentially different versions of a post-apocalyptic campfire story, but I feel you're free to view their connection however you want. If you feel it's the same Max caught in a cycle of loss, regret, and redemption, then great. If you think they're all different Maxes, go for it. If you think it's the same Max, but different versions told as a result of a game of broken telephone, that's also cool. George Miller himself had stated that Fury Road is a sequel that takes place after Thunderdome but then also stated he doesn't care that much about continuity.

The game devs clearly tried to do something to connect the game with Fury Road--I mean, the main villain is one of Immortan Joe's sons, the War Boys are a thing, and there's a bunch of Fury Road landmarks--but they were also simultaneously evasive about answering what their intent was with regards to the game being a prequel.

Sally has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

D:OS2 really seems to let you play kind of however you want. I'm playing as the Red Prince - a deposed despot lizard guy, and even though I'm still on the first island there's a ton of opportunities to develop however you want. I'm playing as though my guy is kind of reformed into a hero, but he goes out of his way to leave a trail of Magister bodies wherever he goes because gently caress those guys they killed my cat!, and the game has been very accommodating each step of the way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly I have a pavlovian anger response to his voice at this point so that's fine with me

poo poo, I want to write a big effort post about Arkham Riddler.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how his appearence transitioned between the games - in the first game you never saw him but his portrait was cleaner and looked more "classic" Riddler. In the second game he's seen for the first time and he a tad underfed but still full of energy with the beginnings of a scraggly stubble forming. Then by the final game he's stripped down to a grubby vest as he works tirelessly, not stopping to eat and sleep and he looks like a wreck. The riddle-obsession keeps him going in the same way Meth keeps a methhead going - he looks like he'll fall apart at any minute but his body keeps moving out of pure spite. By the end he's gone from This guy to this guy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hell if I know what inspired me to look this up but I really dug those train track puzzles in Mickey's Racing Adventure.

That's pretty much the only puzzle I can recall and say I've enjoyed atm, actually. A lot of the time I just end up dealing with 'block in square hole' stuff like how Resident Evil will have keys shaped like a person that just ran through a door and left a man-shaped hole in it and there's only one thing that could possibly fit in a keyhole shaped like that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh well that's dumb

I was hoping for a Jynx type situation

How deep does this Mario RPG racism nightmare go?!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. Based on the sprite I always thought he was some kind of a bird with a green beak.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Always thought it was a wizard cap with a feather

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
based on the sprite, i used to think Geno had a weird pig-snout/half-elephant trunk on his face.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought he was an owl/bird guy

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The music for this is ingrained into my memory to an insane degree.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Huh. Based on the sprite I always thought he was some kind of a bird with a green beak.

You want a real mind blower here? The bird guys in the cloud world? They're dudes in suits.

You can see their eyes!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online. While it's controversial, I really like the ending of the Iconian War storyline. Star Trek adaptations of all kinds are plagued with a tendency to make it all about shooting and explosions while forgetting the beating heart of the franchise, and this arc set in an apocalyptic war is resolved not with a boss fight or gigantic battle with hundreds of ships going at it, but with an act of compassion and a lesson about vengeance and cycles of revenge. The villains behind almost everything wrong in the galaxy, architects of all the war and chaos and death, are brought to their knees by your captain choosing to have compassion on a people who have wronged them.

That is a Star Trek story, and goes double if you're playing as a Romulan captain.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nuebot posted:

You want a real mind blower here? The bird guys in the cloud world? They're dudes in suits.

You can see their eyes!

That game had some reaaallly weird character designs. One of the reasons I love it.

e: is this loving BIRDFACE? Not OK Nintendo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

That game had some reaaallly weird character designs. One of the reasons I love it.

e: is this loving BIRDFACE? Not OK Nintendo

Yeah I think the character designs were a huge reason why I've always found the game so memorable. It' really weird but god drat;

It took me years to realize this was supposed to be a chameleon head inside of a bush rather than some kind of hosed up landfish abomination. And I'm still not certain. Artichoker haunts me in ways no spooky ghost in a horror game ever could.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is a fish inside a Lego palm tree top clearly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just found out that a Jigsaw game on steam that I liked, Glass Masquerade, has finally added a button combo that erases your progress. If it works I may LP it because it has some interesting jigsaws that look really good and are fairly elaborate.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Assassin's Creed Syndicate: The map is divided into boroughs, each of which is controlled by the enemy gang. You complete various activities to cut down their hold on each borough, and one thing that pops up is that you have to defeat the leader assigned to that area and engage in a "Gang War" which is one or two waves of no-name mooks in order to finally take hold of the borough. The leader shows up after you've completed a few activities and sics some grunts on you, and if you don't catch and kill them, they'll get away and be part of the fight for final claim-laying.

The little thing: If you do manage to take them out prior to starting the Gang War activity, the fella who you speak to in order to start the activity acknowledges as such (and you only have to fight one wave of baddies). Nice that there's the option to take out the leader ASAP on appearance and that it's recognized as an actual consequence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I just found out that a Jigsaw game on steam that I liked, Glass Masquerade, has finally added a button combo that erases your progress. If it works I may LP it because it has some interesting jigsaws that look really good and are fairly elaborate.

Is it like, jigsaw puzzles or jigsaw the killer?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jigsaw puzzles with unusual shaped pieces, stained glass is the idea.

I took a screenshot of a half-finished one:

The clock hands fade out when you are placing a piece so they don't get in the way, and yes they are all unusual clocks.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Oct 7, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PYF little things in games: yes they are all unusual clocks

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Jigsaw puzzles with unusual shaped pieces, stained glass is the idea.

I took a screenshot of a half-finished one:

The clock hands fade out when you are placing a piece so they don't get in the way, and yes they are all unusual clocks.

That actually looks pretty fun.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Unusual Clocks are a surprisingly rare theme in video games and I am always excited to see more of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mario&Luigi + Bowser's Minions: There's a fast-forward button you can hold down. You can save anywhere. The X button makes both bros jump instead of you having to time it yourself. They also added a practice section so you can get attack timing down too. As well as a guide if you forget anything too!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just started playing Deadpool:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The guy who made QWOP has a new game with a pretty amazing glitch(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4p__zOKMw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A retrospective Little Thing, but I loved how Driver: San Francisco worked it's plot escalation into the gameplay.

You spend most of the game shifting into other drivers during your Out-Of-Body Experience (and your knowledge of the villain plan and your dream-version stopping it comes from News broadcasts coming to your hotel room as all of Jericho's heists go off without a hitch with no Tanner to stop him), even using oncoming traffic as missiles, driving them into the cars you are trying to take out, but then you finally see Jericho and give chase - then you catch him and start beating him until you realise that you are no longer beating Jericho but some random bystander. Oh poo poo - he can do it too. Then you get the most tense driving sequence as all of a sudden, all other cars cease being tools and become threats as Jericho starts throwing them at you, with a cool red lightning effect to show you who's trying to kill you. Fairly standard turnabout so far.

Then you find the real Jericho and shift into him after a tricky chase sequence, only for his girlfriend to call you out and ask you if you're in Jericho... where is he? Oh double poo poo, he's now in your body trying to drive you off a cliff so you shift into Tanner's Partner and have a great conversation with Jericho!Tanner about his master plan.

Then you realise that Jericho's plan in the dream makes no sense because terrorism and murder have never been his MO as a thief, and dismiss it as "Oh it's because I'm dreaming" until you finally wake up and realise he did actually do all the weird poo poo you dreamed he did, but as a smokescreen for his real plan, and all of a sudden there are consequences - this is now real, so don't crash, and don't gently caress up because now you are no longer dying you are actually in greater danger

It's a really satisfying build up to a fantastic conclusion and I love that games presentation. It marries story and gameplay almost perfectly. Also the sidestory with the Asian brothers where the passenger brother recognises that you are not his brother and starts addressing you as such was neat too.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Oct 8, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alhazred posted:

Just started playing Deadpool:

Press the button when it offers more information on who Cable is.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

A retrospective Little Thing, but I loved how Driver: San Francisco worked it's plot escalation into the gameplay.

You spend most of the game shifting into other drivers during your Out-Of-Body Experience (and your knowledge of the villain plan and your dream-version stopping it comes from News broadcasts coming to your hotel room as all of Jericho's heists go off without a hitch with no Tanner to stop him), even using oncoming traffic as missiles, driving them into the cars you are trying to take out, but then you finally see Jericho and give chase - then you catch him and start beating him until you realise that you are no longer beating Jericho but some random bystander. Oh poo poo - he can do it too. Then you get the most tense driving sequence as all of a sudden, all other cars cease being tools and become threats as Jericho starts throwing them at you, with a cool red lightning effect to show you who's trying to kill you. Fairly standard turnabout so far.

Then you find the real Jericho and shift into him after a tricky chase sequence, only for his girlfriend to call you out and ask you if you're in Jericho... where is he? Oh double poo poo, he's now in your body trying to drive you off a cliff so you shift into Tanner's Partner and have a great conversation with Jericho!Tanner about his master plan.

Then you realise that Jericho's plan in the dream makes no sense because terrorism and murder have never been his MO as a thief, and dismiss it as "Oh it's because I'm dreaming" until you finally wake up and realise he did actually do all the weird poo poo you dreamed he did, but as a smokescreen for his real plan, and all of a sudden there are consequences - this is now real, so don't crash, and don't gently caress up because now you are no longer dying you are actually in greater danger

It's a really satisfying build up to a fantastic conclusion and I love that games presentation. It marries story and gameplay almost perfectly. Also the sidestory with the Asian brothers where the passenger brother recognises that you are not his brother and starts addressing you as such was neat too.

Can you add Second Sight to your list? It's a stealth game with psychic powers (telekinesis, invisible etc) and it's the kind of game you'd get a massive kick out off.

And the ending is seriously clever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RareAcumen posted:

Hell if I know what inspired me to look this up but I really dug those train track puzzles in Mickey's Racing Adventure.

That whole game was really good, and this makes me want to replay it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Can you add Second Sight to your list? It's a stealth game with psychic powers (telekinesis, invisible etc) and it's the kind of game you'd get a massive kick out off.

And the ending is seriously clever.

In a perfect world we could have one psychic stealth action game that had Psi-Ops' controls and physics and Second Sight's story and pacing.

e. That one weird budget Heroes tie-in game that came out a year or two ago was pretty close aside from being really short and also lacking the really good head-explodey bite of a proper M rating.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought Second Sight from a bargain bin for 9,90€ when all the stores were phasing out Xbox games, played it for maybe five minutes and the very first enemies killed me because the controls are wrong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ilmucche posted:

That whole game was really good, and this makes me want to replay it.

Aside from Pluto's digging sections, the game was great fun.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought Second Sight from a bargain bin for 9,90€ when all the stores were phasing out Xbox games, played it for maybe five minutes and the very first enemies killed me because the controls are wrong.

I played on PS2 but I can't remember them being more than just a bit fiddly. But then again I played through the Army training course section over and over again so maybe I just got used to them.

Between Second Sight and Timesplitters it should be a crime that Free Radical went bust.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The control scheme for Psi-Ops really was great because it let you use every power seamlessly unlike Second Sight where you had to scroll through a list of powers and equip + activate them. That and the auto targeting on the telekinesis was drat near perfect, it could have been a fiddly finicky mess of lining up shots but instead you just tap a direction and it'll hit what you wanted.

Really everything involving TK in that game was pretty revolutionary considering it came out before Half Life 2.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Agreed, both second sight and timesplitters were some of my absolute favorite games of that generation. Loved em.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Second Sight deserves way more goddamn love than it got, and is well worth playing if you have the opportunity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I recall the PC port being a bit rough though. Then again I last tried to play it years and years ago.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Second Sight was the poo poo and completely worth playing. It's been a long time since it came out, though, so the controls might be a little rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You've seen my red-text - I like it rough. :v:

Alternative joke - I like my games like I like my woman - old and ignored by everyone.