Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

So imagine u quantum jumped out into the outer reaches of space from a system. Taking u 1 hour to jump. U got the location from a hard to find npc. He tells u that an unknown horror lurks out there but there is for told treasure to be had.
After to fly all the way out there and fight the monster(s) and get your sick new ship addon. How amazing will it feel knowing your all alone out in the deep black. No one can scan u down. And if they did by luck they would never make the 1 hour jump. I want that feeling of being small and lost. Having only my ship to keep me alive while i hunt for truly rare artefacts.
Only after when i come back i will have that 1000 yard stare , the same that all people get after making the truly deep jumps.
Even having a ship that can jump that far might need uber modding just to be as efficient as necessary with large enough fuel tanks.
People would see your ship docked and be thinking 'drat, now thats a deep space vessel.'

lmao uh go play Elite, hombre. There's like an entire subculture dedicated to flying as far away from any other commandos as humanly possible.

Citizens are so loving weird. Like... nobody's gonna see your dumb spaceship that looks completely identical to every other dumb spaceship and go "Wow now there's a real true hero" even if Baskin Crobbins was going to make it possible to do that to begin with, which he won't. Just go watch Alien again and shut up lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao uh go play Elite, hombre. There's like an entire subculture dedicated to flying as far away from any other commandos as humanly possible.

Citizens are so loving weird. Like... nobody's gonna see your dumb spaceship that looks completely identical to every other dumb spaceship and go "Wow now there's a real true hero" even if Baskin Crobbins was going to make it possible to do that to begin with, which he won't. Just go watch Alien again and shut up lmao

Elite won't let me pay $15,000 to unlock the $2,500 purchase of a ship that would need like ten nested server instances just to crew it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It's really cheap if you consider the dollar/polygon ratio

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"I'll spend all my space moolah on the best ship that looks totally kickin' rad and then avoid all contact with other players making it completely pointless" You might as well fly around in a portaloo for god sake.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beet Wagon posted:

I think you underestimate the amount of weird that these people carry:

I'm the forty year old man obsessed with anime and has spent some people's yearly salary on digital spaceships

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Beet Wagon posted:

What baffles me is that this guy honestly thinks a 1-hour gate will prevent other people from getting there before him.

However, I do hope Crobblers can find the perfect balance between static content that gets devoured at launch day and boring, generic NMS content.

Not really, he can't make it. I'm just here for the lulz

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

I think you underestimate the amount of weird that these people carry:

I'm the forty year old man obsessed with anime and has spent some people's yearly salary on digital spaceships

Isn't that the same dude who dresses up as that exact anime chick for his streams.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Isn't that the same dude who dresses up as that exact anime chick for his streams.

And has a bedroom full of totally not creepy and definitely never-once-been-jizzed-on animu figurines...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sillybones posted:

I can't imagine more and more people buying in at this point, nor people who backed already to keep finding something to spend on outside of sales. Yet the funding always stays above a certain level. How likely is it they never have down days? How likely is it they keep getting such steady funding? Not even changes based on the day of the week?

For a long time I thought the game was really active and the hype was widespread, but now I am starting to see that it is really just a few people and this thread that are hanging on. It fills me with a sad as well as a suspicion for the above.

My theory is that they're including external sources like tax breaks and loans in order to demonstrate a semblance of stability that makes it easier to obtain loans or other sources of credit. I don't doubt that there are still a few very stupid people out there, but the flat baseline remains incredibly suspicious.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Something is being manipulated about it. Does the graph say a generic "Funding"? If so, they can put in things like private investors, sponsorships, tax credit, etc without it being false advertising.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Well we know that most of the people funding the game don't play it. Only about 1000 people have played Star Marine for more than 2 hours as of a few weeks ago.
I'd love to see updated stats on that.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"I'll spend all my space moolah on the best ship that looks totally kickin' rad and then avoid all contact with other players making it completely pointless" You might as well fly around in a portaloo for god sake.
The part that matters is when they dock their tuned ship and everyone goes WOAH. You don't even have to actually fly the thing, it's not like people know where you go with it. Which is convenient to keep dreaming because there is nowhere to fly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It has to be manipulated - since the start of funding 4 years ago not a single hour has passed where they didn't make money. Not even in the middle of night for the US and EU when there's been no publicity about the game for months, they take money every hour of every day in the hundreds of dollars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Maybe it is a calorie counter?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Warning - Squadron 42 spoilers - Warning

https://vimeo.com/182975185

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AP posted:

https://vimeo.com/182975185

He's so good. It's like I'm really there.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sillybones posted:

For a long time I thought the game was really active and the hype was widespread, but now I am starting to see that it is really just a few people and this thread that are hanging on. It fills me with a sad as well as a suspicion for the above.
Someone here posted the SC take for each year and it was very nearly the same number every single time. Seems grossly unlikely that it would happen that way in a crowd funded project.

They have a huge incentive to massage it: it's great marketing. It provides enormous amounts of free publicity on a regular basis because of the big money involved. Contributing to the big total also makes people feel like they're part of that big success. If it were to slow down it would start to seed doubt.

The funding tracker is kind of a psychological pillar of the Star Citizen community. It provides both incentive to buy and protection from criticism. It forms one end of the vice grips CIG try to get around people's heads, with the other end being limited quantity ships, prestigious membership tiers etc. They're selling social status and trying to keep the pressure on.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The_Groove posted:

Christopher Starship: We Built This lovely

:thurman:

loving :laffo: at "the first pledges unlocked the features, the next pledges will fund them!" :downs:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i figure this thread gets more views but can someone post the original video of lesnick grunting walking up the stairs doing his POV office tour?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

it's 10x as long as a movie with 10x the speaking roles but is also the best game that will ever be made and debut in the top five selling games of all time so I see no problem with CIG managing to do this on their own.

Lol what if it's just Battlefield Earth :newlol:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Teikanmi posted:

i figure this thread gets more views but can someone post the original video of lesnick grunting walking up the stairs doing his POV office tour?

I remember that. He was trying to copy Wingman (who used to grab the camera and walk around the office showing stuff).

Unfortunately Ben can't really walk around so he tried it once and then never did it again.

They also edited out him walking up the stairs. I think it's him huffing up one or two steps, then cut to him out of breath at the top.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Honestly fellas I'd pay some real world dollars in Elite to expedite buying a new ship.

I'm about 1.5 mil in debt to the insurance company because I tried to go bounty hunting with my exploration vessel.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Skippy Granola posted:

Honestly fellas I'd pay some real world dollars in Elite to expedite buying a new ship.

I'm about 1.5 mil in debt to the insurance company because I tried to go bounty hunting with my exploration vessel.

Try a mortgage, friend. Or a phoenix with a hot tub. Turn on the bubbles and let your problems melt away.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ewe2 posted:

Christo Roberto and the Refactards, hit song: "My Ships Bigger"

Brown Pixels, hit song: "I Redid It Again"

Thirty Odd Gig of Jpegs, hit song "Watching The Internets"

Has anyone said "CiG Music Refactory" yet? I loved their hit song "Things that make you go PAAArp"

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy Granola posted:

See this is where SC shines above Elite. You pay CIG a few hundred dollars during one of their LTI events and you are golden friend.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Story arc with 1255 pages of dialogue

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

Please , no

The gifs are more than enough, no one wants to hear his body literally struggling to stay alive

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Please , no

The gifs are more than enough, no one wants to hear his body literally struggling to stay alive

My money is on the beetus.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frontier SC thread has been derailing over Citizens surprising new definition of what stretch goals are.

I've contributed to a couple of KS music projects and it was always clear that if the stretch goal was met, those contributing certain amounts of money would receive extras on top of the base product. This is what stretch goals are.

Citizens appear to accept it was something like "well we got more money than we needed for a stretch goal but we're not fully funded. You just don't understand stretch goal development".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I found this funny

Gamer ! That's me ! How did they know my secret gaming code name.... Aww thanks Razer

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I started reading that thinking it was a high end lamp for shooting and then realized its a fuckin mug holder lol.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
None of those mugs will ever be used for non-urine liquids

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does this company that lies about everything, with a game that nobody plays, whose online presence consists mostly of paid marketers and the mentally ill lie about the biggest marketing tool they have?

If they really had earned 142mil from backers they'd say it was 200mil.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Now you are ready for True Gaming.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

I see the red phone and I want to paint it black . . . to match the mug holder.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
But for real though that's really just the worlds most convoluted coaster.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. F! posted:

This all started with a guy boasting about how fast he can walk around a coffee table, well guess what bitch? I can jump over mine.

This needs to be a mod challenge. Mods?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

None of those mugs will ever be used for non-urine liquids

Cum vase mug

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I decided to have a poke at E:D yesterday after only touching on it when it released due to having a ton of other active games at the time.

I don't see how SC can ever be a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Xaerael posted:

I decided to have a poke at E:D yesterday after only touching on it when it released due to having a ton of other active games at the time.

I don't see how SC can ever be a better game.
Rubbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQ4eUcA6fg

See these "aliens", do they even have their own language? No. They don't even speak!

What a load of shite. In Star Citizen you don't just get probed by aliens, you control the man controlling the ship getting probed by aliens.