Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh, incidentally, in case anyone missed this hint:

quote:

TG: wait dont tell me youre ACUTALLY from urnanus??
UU: heehee. no.
UU: that jUst happened to be a planet from yoUr system i thoUght was lovely.
UU: i was particUlarly strUck by its UniqUe rotation.
UU: it has very nice...
UU: bollocks, what's the word.
UU: the term that refers to a ball's topspin?

Hmm, what could it be? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it foreshadowing if it occurs within the same update :v:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Oh, incidentally, in case anyone missed this hint:

Hmm, what could it be? :allears:

Well, what is it?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

That was great. I went from "Oh, haha. She's a Krampine!" to "Oh holy gently caress" in one click of a button.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Rooreelooo posted:

Well, what is it?

(spoilered so people can figure it out on their own if they want)

English.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 17, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I think some of my growing dislike of UU has partially vanished with this reveal. Almost as if the sheer absurdity has wrapped back around and makes her just a bit more endearing in retrospect.

If this means that uu will become Lord English.. Then I have to applaud Hussie for yet again developing a villain on-screen without us even knowing it, like he did back then with Jack in the MC intermission.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I didn't realize it earlier, but this new development pretty much explains her accent!

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

so what's a name that ends in -masis

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Uranus, incidentally, has the longest rotational period of our system's four gas giants (though not by much), but it's unusual mostly in that its axis of rotation is nearly parallel to its orbital plane. Is that going to mean anything? Probably not, except that that's what makes the term "top spin" applicable.

(Looking it up, "english" actually more commonly refers to side spin, and then mostly by Americans. I guess that's fitting.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Check this:

Act5 posted:

TA: iit2 kiind of liike how a prophet earn2 hii2 2triipe2, by beiing bliind, liike how an angel earn2 iit2 wiing2.
GC: WH4TS 4N 4NG3L
TA: 2ome terriible mythiical demon.
TA: wiith the2e awful feathery wiing2.
GC: Y1K3S
TA: paradox 2pace u2e2 them two u2her iin the end.
Earliest callback I can find on angels not related to Eridan just straight up killing them.
Also don't forget that LE killed Hussie while Hussie had UU's troll horns on.

So hey is this Lord English as a kid? Since it's still UU and uu sharing the same body most likely?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 17, 2012

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I have no remaining brain functions to comment coherently on this update.

... Good luck to the cosplayers, I guess?

Also, hey, what colour is Lord English's blood again? :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ahahaha, TvTropes has gone down.

I like to think it's because of this update.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Graceful Graveler posted:

Oh goddammit. How did I not make this connection? It's so obvious in retrospect!

(that's basically homestuck.txt now that I think about it)

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 17, 2012

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I think my favourite thing about this update is just how dramatically it goes against all the cute depictions of UU in fanart.

Also, "What the gently caress!?" just to document my initial reaction.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
This is hilarious.

UU/uu was playing at being a ~rare and special~ troll but it turns out he/she is a ~special alien~ with ~a rare and powerful class~.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popo posted:

I think my favourite thing about this update is just how dramatically it goes against all the cute depictions of UU in fanart.

You saying UU isn't adorable? Because tumblr has already succeeded at doing that :v:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Popo posted:

Also, "What the gently caress!?" just to document my initial reaction.

I dunno, still looks pretty kawaii to me. :swoon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Scratch-O posted:

Oh goddammit. How did I not make this connection? It's so obvious in retrospect!

(that's basically homestuck.txt now that I think about it)

The funny thing is, Hussie can just keep doing this. For whatever reason, maybe because of the complexity of the story, we always assume the answer to something is going to be really complex. But it never is - it's all really simple, and we never really take that into account in our speculating.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slime posted:

This is hilarious.

UU/uu was playing at being a ~rare and special~ troll but it turns out he/she is a ~special alien~ with ~a rare and powerful class~.

You realize of course what uu's class is, right? Lord, of course.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Considering this is a Father's Day update... in the off chance that uu's class is NOT lord, then perhaps Calliope English and Calmasis English are now entering their game while their father, who holds the powers of both his children (players of space and time) is just trying to find them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Graceful Graveler posted:

I have no remaining brain functions to comment coherently on this update.

... Good luck to the cosplayers, I guess?

I dont remember!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

I dont remember!

Red.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Tollymain posted:

You saying UU isn't adorable? Because tumblr has already succeeded at doing that :v:

Fanart can make anything cute though. Fanartists have weird, magical powers. But yes, okay, UU is cute in a weird, green skull kind of way.

And wow, ib.skaia.net gives no poo poo about spoilers, do they? At least they broke out the spoiler tag...

Are the Felt also Cherubs or yet more Green skinned alien dudes?

Popo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 17, 2012

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I checked Tumblr to see if anyone was a spiteful dick and posted the real picture of Calliope, and it turns out, not only did no one post it, there's multiple pieces of fan art already... of troll-Calliope.

I am impressed.

Also, after everything UU said, I couldn't help but be more sad than shocked at the reveal. I mean, I was surprised of course, but mostly the reveal felt really unsettling and sad.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Interesting. All the humans have 4 letter names, the trolls have 6 letter names, and Calliope is 8 letters. So is Calmasis.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Eiba posted:

So I checked Tumblr to see if anyone was a spiteful dick and posted the real picture of Calliope, and it turns out, not only did no one post it, there's multiple pieces of fan art already... of troll-Calliope.

I am impressed.

Also, after everything UU said, I couldn't help but be more sad than shocked at the reveal. I mean, I was surprised of course, but mostly the reveal felt really unsettling and sad.

I checked through multiple pages and saw a couple of real-image posts plus someone's sketch of real-Calliope. The latter was after a "read more" cut, but still. :c

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Luminous Obscurity posted:

FFFFFUCK IT JUST HIT ME

UU/uu are the fans. The fandom is LE. He was here the whole time.

The end boss battle is going to be so loving awkward.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

DaveKap posted:

Considering this is a Father's Day update... in the off chance that uu's class is NOT lord, then perhaps Calliope English and Calmasis English are now entering their game while their father, who holds the powers of both his children (players of space and time) is just trying to find them.

This would put too many feels into homestuck. Too many feels. We are nearing the feel limit as we go, and I don't know what'll happen when we hit it.

I feel really sad for her too, I cant put my finger on it but the past few logs seem the most depressing yet now.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
So hussie has said repeatedly that homestuck takes inspiration from earthbound right? more theorycrafting (earthbound spoilers):

in earthbound, giygas (the main villain) is too powerful to defeat in its present form so the main characters need to travel back in time to when he was young and kill him before even being born.

lord english is said to be too powerful to be defeated in his present form, and unable to be killed by conventional methods. what if the children needed to defeat him when he was a child, as uu / UU - entering his one man game session, they would need to kill him before he comes to power.

i'm not sure where horses and the cueball gun fit in to this theory, since hussie said that those things were his weaknesses. lets all cross our fingers and hope that any surviving cast members get to ride into his game session on horseback and gun him down in a blaze of glory.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Interesting idea. Might be a little hard, considering LE has time powers. He can only enter a universe upon it's destruction, but EVERY universe is destined to be destroyed eventually.

'Horses' (knights) are the only piece in chess that can move in a way that queens cannot. Speaking of chess, I wonder if a pawn will reach the end of the board?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Christ guys, its a whole page after the update, you don't need spoiler tags at all, let alone this dumb sea of black.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Slime posted:

Speaking of chess, I wonder if a pawn will reach the end of the board?

PM got crowned, remember?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

MrBims posted:

Christ guys, its a whole page after the update, you don't need spoiler tags at all, let alone this dumb sea of black.

I was actually using spoiler tags because not everyone in this thread has played and completed earthbound...

Slime posted:

'Horses' (knights) are the only piece in chess that can move in a way that queens cannot.

oh i hadn't considered that hussie's 'white horses' could refer to a knight player. maybe dave or karkat will end up being lord english's 'weakness'? karkat's blood powers could factor into it somewhere since blood colours seem to be a big deal with cherubs (at least as much of a big deal as they are with trolls)

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Rooreelooo posted:

Earthbound shenanigans

I have to be an Earthbound sperg for a moment. Gigyas was never intended to be an infant. You just went back in time to a point where his powers were weaker. Itoi has come out and said that there wasn't an abortion theme or anything ridiculous like that. The baby in the background wasn't intentional -- it's probably some form of pareidolia.

Calliope inspires some sort of horrible, primal repulsion in it. I actually recoiled when I changed the page to see her/it. I dunno. It's horrifying looking. Absolutely terrible.

It'd be sort of an interesting twist if uu wasn't English, and it was actually UU. Maybe something happens in the game or in the context of her brother, that she gets so pissed off she decides to destroy everything. We've already seen that she has sort of a dark streak in regards to their chess game.

I dunno.

Also, English apparently has some sort of weakness to horses, right? Who is a player that has some sort of slight obsession with horses that has also "beaten" uu? uu is also obsessed with games and manhandling women (apparently) like English, too.

All these edits man: all the Felt were Cherubs. Also Cherubs have four faces in Christian mythos. We've seen four iterations of the same Cherub (presumably): Scratch, Lord English, uu, UU.

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 17, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Clearly God Tier Equius is going to show up out of nowhere and be just too STRONG for Lord English to handle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This was far more horrifying than Lord English's reveal. I think it's a combination of the giant doe eyes, skeletal nose hole, and complete surprise that makes it quite as :stonk: as it is.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You realize of course what uu's class is, right? Lord, of course.

Lord English, Lord of Time. :ughh:

Prepare for an influx of tropers with their Everyone Is A Timelord bullshit.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 17, 2012

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Saradiart posted:

Calliope inspires some sort of horrible, primal repulsion in it. I actually recoiled when I changed the page to see her/it. I dunno. It's horrifying looking. Absolutely terrible.

I had a pretty :catstare: reaction at first but I think she's kinda cute in a really weird sort of way. I think it's the toothy grin and big anime eyes.

I think this sort of takes off a little bit of the terrifying aspect of the LE imagery too, since that visual design doesn't just represent the GREATEST EVIL but an actual race of creatures who may not be completely evil. Like it's a little different now looking at Jake's shirt and instead of going "OH poo poo THAT'S LORD ENGLISH HOLY poo poo :supaburn:" you could potentially say "oh that's just a cherub".

This is such a Homestuck-ey update, it's the sort that really defines the comic and the kind of thing I always look forward to.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm not quite sure how to react to this. Everything is terrifying.

EDIT: Oh God, Cal.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 17, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

This was far more horrifying than Lord English's reveal. I think it's a combination of the giant doe eyes, skeletal nose hole, and complete surprise that makes it quite as :stonk: as it is.

Lord English, Lord of Time. :ughh:

Prepare for an influx of tropers with their Everyone Is A Timelord bullshit.

JOHN IS THE DOCTOR BECAUSE THE THEME TUNE OF HIS LAND IS CALLED DOCTOR.

Turns out he's not God Tier at all, he's just wearing pajamas and regenerating into himself every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

So I was reading Treestuck last night and this conversation came up. Seems pretty relevant! This was Rose and Doc Scratch, just before Rose went Grimdark:

quote:

My master can’t enter this universe until I am killed.
Such is the nature of the break.
TT: That almost sounds like martyrdom. Are you sure it won’t be a hero’s death?
Quite sure.
My master is a very evil man.
TT: Who is he?
I won’t tell you his name.
But he goes by the title, Lord English.

And now we know: his name actually matters!