Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Roblo posted:

I'd always figured that was part of the sweetner to get them on the boat in the first place. She seemed hella popular.

But they did it without the captain's knowledge. When he confronts Krill about the helicopter, Krill says "the admiral wanted a party," and the captain says oh, okay. The whole thing with the fake cake and the tits was entirely unnecessary to their evil plot. And now they've got this stripper to deal with. Were they just going to kill her off? Seems needlessly cruel, like if they had brought a puppy along for no other reason than to throw it overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Movie version of The Return of the King in the Minas Tirith siege scene: when the Orcs are moving these siege towers up to the walls, the Gondorian soldiers are firing arrows at the towers themselves and only start shooting at the trolls pushing them when Gandalf tells them to. Shouldn't that have been pretty obvious after the first volley just bounced harmlessly off the tower? Why do they need Gandalf to tell them to do that?

Similarly, the start of the Helm's Deep battle in the The Two Towers movie, you've got the Uruk-hai standing outside the wall while the defenders are all waiting with arrows nocked and bows drawn, but they're not firing, then when this one old guy lets fly by accident and hits one of the Uruk-hai, Aragorn gives the order to hold fire. Those seem like some pretty bad tactics from a guy who's meant to have fought in a bunch of wars over 70 years or so; they're in range already, why wait for them to get even closer?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Similarly, the start of the Helm's Deep battle in the The Two Towers movie, you've got the Uruk-hai standing outside the wall while the defenders are all waiting with arrows nocked and bows drawn, but they're not firing, then when this one old guy lets fly by accident and hits one of the Uruk-hai, Aragorn gives the order to hold fire. Those seem like some pretty bad tactics from a guy who's meant to have fought in a bunch of wars over 70 years or so; they're in range already, why wait for them to get even closer?

Many movies do this and it's dumb most of the times. Like, you want to be able to fire at them as often as you can before they reach you, right?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Many movies do this and it's dumb most of the times. Like, you want to be able to fire at them as often as you can before they reach you, right?

Eh, not when you probably have limited arrows. When you've got like a million dudes to kill you want as many of your arrows to be killshots. Now, having your men holding their bowstrings taut? Now THAT'S stupid. That just wears out their arms and damages the bow for no good reason.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, it's probably a hold over from movies with muskets, where holding your fire for a long time ensured that the fire would be totally devastating and would utterly destroy their morale. It doesn't really make much sense for arrows, since they reload(?) much faster.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slime posted:

Eh, not when you probably have limited arrows. When you've got like a million dudes to kill you want as many of your arrows to be killshots. Now, having your men holding their bowstrings taut? Now THAT'S stupid. That just wears out their arms and damages the bow for no good reason.

Rationally irritating moment: any time a movie or game downplays how strong you have to be to draw back on a longbow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like when movies have the French people using cross bows. Longbow was more of an English thing.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Maybe if you're talking about that stripper's math skills

Why would the terrorist rock band need a stripper accountant?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Why would the terrorist rock band need a stripper accountant?

She was really good with figures.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Movie version of The Return of the King in the Minas Tirith siege scene: when the Orcs are moving these siege towers up to the walls, the Gondorian soldiers are firing arrows at the towers themselves and only start shooting at the trolls pushing them when Gandalf tells them to. Shouldn't that have been pretty obvious after the first volley just bounced harmlessly off the tower? Why do they need Gandalf to tell them to do that?

I assumed they were firing into crowds willy-nilly, and Gandalf just told them to focus their fire on the bigger threats coming to them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mu Zeta posted:

I like when movies have the French people using cross bows. Longbow was more of an English thing.

Longbows were popular everywhere (its just a big stick afterall) but the English had the whole "teach everyone how to use them properly in a military setting" which kicked a lot of rear end. I honestly have no idea how popular crossbows were in general armies outside of sieges (Which were actually much more common then open battles).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Longbows were popular everywhere (its just a big stick afterall) but the English had the whole "teach everyone how to use them properly in a military setting" which kicked a lot of rear end. I honestly have no idea how popular crossbows were in general armies outside of sieges (Which were actually much more common then open battles).
Very. Crossbows were the poo poo and had essentially (with a few exceptions) replaced bows by the end of the 12th century in Europe. Reloading speed was less of an issue once people figured out to mix crossbowmen in with pikemen and/or the use of pavises with reloading teams. You could hand a man a crossbow and have him be relatively accurate with a high-powered shot pretty easily. Bows required a lot of training to be able to get close to the accuracy or power of a crossbow and gained only a rate of fire advantage in return for requiring years of practice. If you can afford to keep around a corps of experienced longbowmen, you might be strictly speaking better off, but in pretty much every other respects a crossbow is superior.

e: Crossbows were also more expensive to produce, so I suppose that's another point. Still. Crossbows were great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nutsngum posted:

Crossbows were standard armament for archers everywhere except England, because they required little training and less strength. This made up for their shortfalls of lesser range and slower loading. They only fell into disuse after the French got repeatedly hosed up the rear end by English longbowmen hitting them while their own archers were still 100 yards out of range.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, it's probably a hold over from movies with muskets, where holding your fire for a long time ensured that the fire would be totally devastating and would utterly destroy their morale. It doesn't really make much sense for arrows, since they reload(?) much faster.

Movie commanders also frequently tell bowmen to "fire".
Say what you want about Game of Thrones, in the latest big battle they at least had the Penis Slicer General yell "loose" instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm an idiot - I just realised why "Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow" became such a meme for technobabble - it isn't entirely meaningless, it just would literally do nothing as a "Neutron Flow" would have no polarity to reverse due to being neutral. I just never thought about it before.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Grevling posted:

Movie commanders also frequently tell bowmen to "fire".
Say what you want about Game of Thrones, in the latest big battle they at least had the Penis Slicer General yell "loose" instead.

Thats just to let morons know whats happening.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

It makes sense in the scene in Helm's Deep though because clearly no one wants to be the one to actually start the battle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Rationally irritating moment: any time a movie or game downplays how strong you have to be to draw back on a longbow.

Weren't all the archers elves though? And generally considered way stronger than humans/ better at using magic too?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Warren Ellis wrote a pretty good comic book about the Battle of Crécy which is all about the longbow/crossbow situation. The gist of it is, if you have longbows, you don't fire directly into the enemy army or at individual soldiers, you put down arrows at a specific range, and you do it all at once. A rain of arrows that comes down at 200 yards away from you is gonna gently caress up most of what's standing there at the time, and if it's a bunch of crossbowmen with a range of 150 yards, there's your battle.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm an idiot - I just realised why "Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow" became such a meme for technobabble - it isn't entirely meaningless, it just would literally do nothing as a "Neutron Flow" would have no polarity to reverse due to being neutral. I just never thought about it before.

Electrical polarity basically refers to the direction of flow of electrons, so reversing polarity of a neutron flow could just mean running it backwards instead of forwards in the loop.

...also it sounds dumb as gently caress.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Fly Molo posted:

Electrical polarity basically refers to the direction of flow of electrons, so reversing polarity of a neutron flow could just mean running it backwards instead of forwards in the loop.

OK, didn't know about that definition - either that or I forgot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The final boss in Wonder Woman is too goofy, even for the superhero genre. A dapper english gent with a handle-bar mustache who does the whole "We can rule together" speech. He dons a suit of CGI armour with his face very poorly composited underneath and he fights to best of his PS3 graphics-processing abilities

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fly Molo posted:

But neutrons don't give a gently caress. That's why they're so dangerous. That's basic nuclear physics.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The final boss in Wonder Woman is too goofy, even for the superhero genre. A dapper english gent with a handle-bar mustache who does the whole "We can rule together" speech. He dons a suit of CGI armour with his face very poorly composited underneath and he fights to best of his PS3 graphics-processing abilities

Don't forget when they cut to a shot of him in ancient times with his head pasted on a super swole body

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BioEnchanted posted:

Congratulations on putting more thought into it than whoever wrote that line did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Isn't it a sort of injoke from old Doctor Who episodes? Like, one step up from the character saying 'techy stuff here'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Jon Pertwee didn't like technobabble so he asked a scriptwriter to come up with a stock phrase he could rattle off as needed. However, it didn't actually see that much use - it's used maybe two or three times in earnest then it's an in-joke every time after that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

Isn't it a sort of injoke from old Doctor Who episodes? Like, one step up from the character saying 'techy stuff here'.

They need to created accurate techy stuff. It triggers my sperg if they don't use real terminology that's 100% correct.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

JT Smiley posted:

Don't forget when they cut to a shot of him in ancient times with his head pasted on a super swole body
The secret that Marvel and Warner Brothers are hoping nobody realizes is that most superheroes have absolutely awful villains. Batman has an actual functioning roster of interesting enemies who all -- for the most part -- play off the core concept of Batman and reflect the hero in some kind of interesting way. Marvel has done a decent job of masking their terrible rogue's gallery by primarily focusing the movies on the 'Scheming rear end in a top hat' sides of some of their doofier villains (nowhere in Captain America: Civil War, for example, does Zemo accidentally glue his own mask to his face). Superman has a small cast of bad guys who are kinda interesting and a smaller roster of kinda interesting guys who can actually reasonably fight with Superman the way modern cinema seems to want to portray him (sorry Toyman).

Wonder Woman has absolute garbage. Once you take the big step down from Ares, God of War you get into things like Cheetah, Silver Swan and Dr. Psycho (who is basically Professor X as played by scenery chewing Peter Dinklage -- which honestly might be fun but I imagine you'd have a hard time selling him).

Green Lantern is even worse as his most iconic villain is 'Guy With The Exact Same Powers Only A Different Color'. There is a reason Iron Monger isn't anybody's top Iron Man bad guy...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the problem Marvel has is that they sold off the franchises with the best villains, leaving them with not much else.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm vaguely hoping that after the first failed Dark Universe movie, Marvel will drive a dump truck full of cash up to Universal and just buy the rights to Marvel's Dracula outright.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Justic League is stupid because superhero movies are all about punching so everybody will end up having superman level strength so they can participate in the big brawl.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Justic League is stupid because superhero movies are all about punching so everybody will end up having superman level strength so they can participate in the big brawl.
It's not difficult to find panels from a "critically acclaimed" (Comic Book journalism generally giving video game journalism a run for its money) series where the premise is 'Superman is Bad' and so in-universe scientists (Batman) made a pill to give everybody Superman punching power and naturally that leads to Alfred Pennyworth, Batman's Butler, beating the holy hell out of Clark.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

I'm vaguely hoping that after the first failed Dark Universe movie, Marvel will drive a dump truck full of cash up to Universal and just buy the rights to Marvel's Dracula outright.

I don't think there's anything actually stopping them from using Dracula in a movie. They still use him in the comics and there are loads of terrible Dracula movies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NorgLyle posted:

It's not difficult to find panels from a "critically acclaimed" (Comic Book journalism generally giving video game journalism a run for its money) series where the premise is 'Superman is Bad' and so in-universe scientists (Batman) made a pill to give everybody Superman punching power and naturally that leads to Alfred Pennyworth, Batman's Butler, beating the holy hell out of Clark.

He kicks superman so hard his shoe explodes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NorgLyle posted:

:wtc:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
If BvS had ended with Alfred personally kicking the poo poo out of doomsday using some super strength pills Bruce invented I'd probably have liked it more.

Couldn't have been much dumber than the guy who's hurt just by being near the spear being the one to use it.

Also if you're going to set up superman sonic traps or whatever why not have the batwing(?) harpoon it into him when he's distracted or dust grenaded or something

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Well see Alfred was really mad...

http://imgur.com/gallery/yYzpF

So it all makes sense. Comic books can be really fun but even when they are they're still far, far stupider than even the dumbest comic book movie (even including Elektra).

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the problem Marvel has is that they sold off the franchises with the best villains, leaving them with not much else.

Daredevil has good villains but he's relegated to the Netflix League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

JT Smiley posted:

Just got back from the movie and he wasn't actually all that cut in that shot, just squarely in buff-dad territory. I'm leaning more towards them old-ing his face up a bit in the 1918 scenes.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Jun 4, 2017