Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Wangsbig posted:

support classes are straight up the worst thing to be added to FPSs bc there is now a legion of ppl who cannot click a head or otherwise score a frag actively participating in games where they would have been a glowing medkit 10 years ago

You never played tfc I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I played Zarya in QP last night and had a "let's see how this goes" moment when Dva was about to explode. Popped my shield and saw my damage boost go from low to 100 real quick.

You can only get 50 charge per bubble instance, but yeah Zarya owns. Always be looking for opportunities to save someone's rear end after a Roadhog hook or a Tracer ult or whatever and everyone will love you forever.

Mystery Machine posted:

People vastly overrate the value of healers and supports in low level games. Supports facilitate more aggressive, higher level play. If you're teammates aren't capable of that play, select something else. I don't think they're critical for winning even into the 50s.

You're loving wrong.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Zarya shields can block potentially unlimited damage as long as it comes only from one single attack. They're also great for protecting against High Noons and Junkrat tires. It's always fun to just run up to a McCree, take his shot on the chin, and then burn him down with a full charge.

Can you gain more than 50 charge from a shield? I knew you could block extra damage, but I assumed the charge would cap out.

Edit: Answered while I was posting!

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a dota analogy.

My "don't support bad players" mantra has held up from my HoN days.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Interesting, good thing I put it on the Roadhog as well! Good to know. I find Zarya is really hard to play with bad players because I just start to get far too much attention.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Brosnan posted:

You're loving wrong.

He might be overall, but I would think the value of Mercy would be greatly diminished at that level because her huge strength is multi-person resurrections, which are only possible if teammates are actually dying together. The trickle-in behavior that uncoordinated teams display reduces Mercy's impact pretty severely. At that low level, I would just be going to a more self-sustaining class like S76, Roadhog, or Reaper and going to town. Or if I really wanted to play support, then go Lucio.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overwatch is good times, I'll be playing this for years. I have no complaints with the game honestly.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

yes, I will selflessly support 5 strangers in the trench tiers of a videogame and be sad when I lose

feeds my martyr complex perfectly!

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
Overwatch Brawl Rainbow Edition, everything is attached to a huge slider and adjusted randomly between rounds. One minute you're playing a Pharah who can only boost jet forward instead of up, and the next you have a Zenyatta who can shoot orbs like a Bastion and your Mercy can somehow heal everyone on the map. Roadhog can moon jump. Thrall shows up. Whatever. Total insanity.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Infinite turret build range.

why would you need that? the point is to put your turrets on balls and launch them at the opponent

I would be ok with infinite turret build range but turrets can only be built on balls though.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Brosnan posted:

You're loving wrong.

two lives and a blue beam aren't gonna make the dudes who empirically cannot kill people or stand on points be better at the videogame overwatch

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

He might be overall, but I would think the value of Mercy would be greatly diminished at that level because her huge strength is multi-person resurrections, which are only possible if teammates are actually dying together. The trickle-in behavior that uncoordinated teams display reduces Mercy's impact pretty severely. At that low level, I would just be going to a more self-sustaining class like S76, Roadhog, or Reaper and going to town. Or if I really wanted to play support, then go Lucio.

Mercy:Lucio::Rein:Zarya

They're all really good, but Mercy/Rein get a lot of their power from coordination while Lucio/Zarya are better for carrying knuckleheads. You can do things as those two to help your team and your teammates may never even notice.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Twibbit posted:

You never played tfc I see

Or Enemy Territory, although the Medic was admittedly more just a loving Rambo-esque maniac class than anything else in that game.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Yeah, gently caress all these various roles and functions in a team. If you can't left click heads, you should kill yourself.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wangsbig posted:

support classes are straight up the worst thing to be added to FPSs bc there is now a legion of ppl who cannot click a head or otherwise score a frag actively participating in games where they would have been a glowing medkit 10 years ago

i, too, never activate soldier 76's ult because i already have perfect accuracy

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Headshots are for wimps. Real Deal Rocket Jumping is for pimps.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

Yeah, gently caress all these various roles and functions in a team. If you can't left click heads, you should kill yourself.

let's not get crazy here, even some of those who can left click heads should consider killing themselves

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If I'm playing a healer and the team emphatically can't push or get anything done I just switch to Winston and stand on the point. Can sometimes do this with Lucio and stay healing depending on the map -- but then I have to flank way away from my team so I'm not actually near them anyway.

What really frustrates me is on a map like Hanamura or Anubis when I the healer see a moment to push up and through the choke point into the room to the left or right and I go in there -- but no one follows me or even TRIES when I stand there in full view waving hello. Then I have the option to either solo push the point, stand there and wait for the enemy team to notice, or undo the progress forward I made and hope my team actually decides to come with me next time. I've seen a lot of Reins think their job is to stand at the choke and hold up a shield but never actually push in. Rein, if there's no one around you to protect there is literally no reason for you to be standing there getting your shield shot.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Papercut posted:

Actually I'll take Symmetra back, weaker players love getting car washed and can't aim well enough to out DPS you. And your teleporter stays alive forever.

Lucio is definitely always good on KOTH, but I find weaker Lucio's have a really hard time getting good ultimates. I still think what you offer to weaker players on non-KOTH map is probably outweighed by what one might do in damage if you just picked Junkrat or Soldier.

I have no loving clue with Zenyatta. Do people just not flank and let you kill them from the back at lower play?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

two lives and a blue beam aren't gonna make the dudes who empirically cannot kill people or stand on points be better at the videogame overwatch

If both teams are full of people like that then the one with healing and resurrections is pretty obviously going to do better?

(Also players who are 50+ are pretty well past the "how do I play this game" phase, even if Dota goon cynicism prevents admitting that)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
e: fart

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
New support sniper coming?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/750736158624215040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Brosnan posted:

If both teams are full of people like that then the one with healing and resurrections is pretty obviously going to do better?

(Also players who are 50+ are pretty well past the "how do I play this game" phase, even if Dota goon cynicism prevents admitting that)

the guy we're talking about is 30, the rank which I imagine people who accidentally opened this game up on best buy display model tablets are assigned. having one more guy open palm slamming his keyboard and being able to deal damage is going to be way better than standing there watching a hanzo arrow out cartoon silhouettes of people's models

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I agree with regards to hanzo pickers and hitting themselves with projectiles but even given generous boxes they would probably miss.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

the guy we're talking about is 30, the rank which I imagine people who accidentally opened this game up on best buy display model tablets are assigned. having one more guy open palm slamming his keyboard and being able to deal damage is going to be way better than standing there watching a hanzo arrow out cartoon silhouettes of people's models

Look at the post I was responding to tho.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

sombra pls be good because as someone who is obliged to play support in every match i would love to have more than 2 options with a dash of Symmetra

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A healing class that requires you to snipe your teammates is actually a pretty big Widow buff.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Brosnan posted:

Mercy has the lowest winrate in the game.

(Also, looking at the Lucio winrate, I'm apparently underrating him.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Thor-Stryker posted:

Zarya is the best glue if you have a second tank or a few frontline attackers. Bubbles for everyone.

If your team is Hanzo/Genji/Tracer/Reaper then I wouldn't even bother.

'All flanking' teams are nothing but feelbads and I blame Blizz for making all the edgy/cool characters be the least team-friendly.

Reaper isn't a proper flanker. He's a backline skirmisher. The reason he's not a flanker is because he's wearing hobnail boots that clank wherever he walks. You'd have to be functionally deaf to not hear a flanking Reaper.

That said, him and Zarya work fine together. Zarya's bubble allowed me to go for the near team-wipe and she used that charge to blow up the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5l1kJedJOs

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 6, 2016

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I hope sombra is good because the game desperately needs more support variety, but I feel like healing sniper is going to be a really weird niche

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Someone who is bad but not completely inept at the game benefits from having a safety net they would not have without a healer. Many times having a few extra HP or a boost to damage can be the difference between "average player dies" and "average player survives." The guy who is shooting at wall as Genji isn't going to be useful no matter what but that isn't really relevant because if you have 4 wall-Genjis you're going to lose regardless of your skill level unless you're playing against similarly inept people.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I wonder what sniper-healer will have to differentiate her from Zen, who is already a healer that sits behind the team and shoots at far away people. Crap damage but much better mobility is my guess.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Look at the post I was responding to tho.

tbh it probably does still hold true into the 50's. I am too far removed from such animals to truly be sure

ImpAtom posted:

Someone who is bad but not completely inept at the game benefits from having a safety net they would not have without a healer. Many times having a few extra HP or a boost to damage can be the difference between "average player dies" and "average player survives."

so you can roll the dice that few extra HP being the determining factor or take your mediocre white dick and balls in hand and try to affect the FPS game directly, by shooting players and standing on objectives. but hey, this is just one incredibly skilled gamer's opinion

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
What I get from that image is Sombra shoots out a biotic field like Soldier 76 has

So maybe she shoots enemies but her alt fire is an AOE heal "grenade" that sits on the ground ?

Or maybe she shoots out a debuff/dmg AOE grenade?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I wonder what sniper-healer will have to differentiate her from Zen, who is already a healer that sits behind the team and shoots at far away people. Crap damage but much better mobility is my guess.

That projectile could be a DoT with an AoE the size of Soldier's Biotic Field. The Mercy bubble in the graphic mentions her not working on it so it could be weaponized, so that'd be a possibility and a cool support role.

I could see a widow-esque support sniper having a primary scoped shot that deals damage to the enemy but heals teammates if it hits them instead. If it only heals, gently caress playing with that guy since most widow players seem to be complete garbage anyway and I don't want to rely on one of them to heal us with 2% accuracy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Minor symm buff idea: Add a UI element when she hits tab that shows people who currently have her shields.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

so you can roll the dice that few extra HP being the determining factor or take your mediocre white dick and balls in hand and try to affect the FPS game directly, by shooting players and standing on objectives. but hey, this is just one incredibly skilled gamer's opinion

It isn't rolling the dice. Having reliable healing, for example, allows a team to remain on a point without having to back off and find health packs. If you attempt to singularly stand on the point by yourself you're either going to die or you're playing against people so inept that your actual skill level doesn't matter.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

New patch fixed Zarya's M2 bug, so you guys can enjoy playing her again if your will was broken

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wit posted:

Its just basic social interaction people are not used to and stops them defaulting to running off like its a team death match. That's normally what happens when you're in a team of 6 players who won't talk to each other except to smacktalk and QQ. I don't get how stepping up with coordination in a team based game sounds like begging to you? It makes you good guy with poo poo together.

I am going to give it a go but I play on PS4 and have never heard anyone else speak.

Wangsbig posted:

yes, I will selflessly support 5 strangers in the trench tiers of a videogame and be sad when I lose

Hahah, yeah and this is part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I don't think there's any chance Sombra needs to "shoot" an ally to heal them. I bet she just launches soldier 76 canisters.

I mean having to shoot a friendly target to heal them (while they hop around) would be hard as gently caress?