Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I can now play the files through DivX and turn the subtitles on, but my goal is to play them on my Ipad, so I'm converting them over to a more friendly file type. Bringing the subtitles with it seems a more elaborate process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
Yeah the subtitles on the MKV files are "soft", encoded in a seperate data stream and rendered live on playback. Whatever program you use to convert them to mp4 will need to support SSA/rear end subtitles and hard-code them directly into the video.

Handbreak will do that, more info here.

Gary Mitchell fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 12, 2011

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Do you have to manually tell Handbreak to encode the subtitles or will it do it automatically?

Because it'd be great if I could set it to encode all episodes in, say, the iPhone/iPod touch format at the same time and let it run overnight doing this, right?

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I ripped out the .rear end file, converted it to SRT, inserted it into the MP4 conversation and I could still not get it to display subtitles. So I just got Oplayer HD Lite out of the app store. It will play the KMV files, with the only downside being a really annoying ad displayed above the movie picture.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a pretty archaic method but I've always preferred brute-forcing mkv-to-avi and/or hard-subbing softsub files with avisynth, since I have more control over how the final product looks and it should preserve the fonts present in the .rear end file (pulled this up from the archives):

I posted several years ago posted:

What I do is extract the subs via mkvextract, and then run an avisynth script with something like this:

LoadPlugin("C:/program files/avisynth 2.5/plugins/vsfilter.dll")
DirectShowSource("X:/lol/file.mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)
# insert fps as appropriate for your source
textsub("X:/lol/subs.rear end")

The vsfilter.dll is not native to Avisynth, but all it is is the same vsfilter.dll that ffdshow uses so if you've installed CCCP you can find that file in that directory. Just have to copy it to the avisynth 2.5 folder. I open that script in VirtualDubMod, and run Fast Compress with XviD at One Pass and hit "Save AVI". Tends to output a file in the 400-450 MB range for a 25 minute episode, which most likely would prevent a full series from being put on a DVD. This option works better for portable HDs or X-Boxes I guess. I've attempted to run Two Passes with XviD before on this (which would be smaller) but it doesn't seem to like doing that with mkv's and softsubs.
These days I would probably bypass VirtualDub and output a .mp4 directly using command-line x264.exe encoding or even directly to .mp4 with Zarx264gui.

E: This is pretty much useless for large batches of episodes however, so for LOGH...

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 13, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Just finished the main series and, while I liked it...

...why did Rubinsky try to blow up the world like a goddamned supervillain? That scene literally did nothing to add to the plot or characterisation, and just seemed really silly and obtuse.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Because people do weird things when they feel death approaching. It's the ultimate loss of control, which drives a guy like Rubinsky a little nuts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 21, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yeah, but he clearly set up that event years if not decades before-hand. Either that, or Rubinsky makes even MacGuyver look like an ultimate ponce.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ChaosSamusX posted:

Yeah, but he clearly set up that event years if not decades before-hand. Either that, or Rubinsky makes even MacGuyver look like an ultimate ponce.

He could have had it set up as a sort of terrorist gambit so he could take a ton of hostages, just one of his many contingencies, and then had the thing set to go off with his heart.

The thing to keep in mind with Rubinsky is that he's always been after power and control, and his association with the megalomaniac terraists it just another example of that. Him taking people with him is like an ultimate "I am important, I am mighty, I take other's lives with me" egotrip bullshit. People do that a lot.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Zorak posted:

Some amount of religious hokey crap accompanies all cult and cult-like organizations. It's how they sell themselves to people in a way; the more divergent it is from reality (TORCH AND ROBES CRAP), the more "catchy" it can see. It's why there's a lot of adopted for "new age religions" and dumb cults that talk about flashy concepts and notions that are stupid to a degree that it makes the "old religions" look really really good by comparison.

They're not "purely evil masterminds", they're just greedy dicks manipulating the system around them. It's no different than the politicians of the EPA and the old nobles of the Reich. It's all about absolute power and making sure they are part of the absolute power. It's not like they were out for genocide and cackling and screaming about everything; they're after an end of "we're the boss" basically.

Also, the mindless followers was limited really to a small heavy religious clique, and given how a lot of cults worked in the past, that's not really that surprising. The Branch Dividians, the Jonestown commune, Heavens Gate, Aum Shinrikyo, even Scientology hell, these organizations isolate and deliberately manipulate their membership such that they are utterly dependent on the organization, and their own "out" from life is utter faith in it. Essentially, devotion becomes instinctual and unquestioning when all other connections and paths are removed from members psyches. They are zealots because there is no other option to them, and so they walk the path without personal inhibition. And since they believe unquestionably that death will serve them well in the end, why not sacrifice yourself?

Honestly, Terraism gives an interesting background faction to the plot I found. It really wouldn't have worked without them.

Also, all of the really fanatical followers on Earth were under the effects of mind control drugs. I assume it was the same at their other strongholds.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pimpmust posted:

I take it to be standard practice for Admirals in the future to grab their tomahawks and go all Rambo on some land lubbing motherfuckers, see: Reuenthal and Mittermeyer, peasants that keep coming and something something about growing piles of corpses :wotwot:

e: Star Trek should take a page from LoGH and add some axes to the usual mix of awkward close combat scenes. It could only improve things.

Batleth vs Axes would be p epic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As a heads up to my fellow LOGH fans, we're going to be Simulwatchating "Crest of the Stars", a LOGH-esque space opera. It's different from LOGH in a lot of ways (the focus is more on characters living in an space empire rather than driving it), but is very good and well regarded. It's also adapted from novels like LOGH is, so there's that.

We're also simulwatching two other good series, so check those out as well.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Breaky posted:

Batleth vs Axes would be p epic.

Wrong thread I know, but I always wanted to see a Human character whip out a claymore or katana or some poo poo and go to town on the bat'leth wielding klingons during one of those fights. The proud martial tradition of humanity is too long ignored in Trek!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I am just jumping into this (on episode 25) but would like to thank everyone involved for this recommendation. I don't know why such a fantastic show is relatively obscure.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 2, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For the past month or so I have driven away all my internet friends with my life-consuming obsession with this show. It is by far the most aware, thought-provoking anime I have ever seen, and I mean that sincerely, as if we were ignoring every other time that has been said on the internet. Legend of the Galactic Heroes perfectly balances realism, characters, and its message on the human condition and the fact that it was ever made is absolutely shocking.

:wal: + :911: = Bucock:negative:

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.

Rakugoon posted:

For the past month or so I have driven away all my internet friends with my life-consuming obsession with this show. It is by far the most aware, thought-provoking anime I have ever seen, and I mean that sincerely, as if we were ignoring every other time that has been said on the internet. Legend of the Galactic Heroes perfectly balances realism, characters, and its message on the human condition and the fact that it was ever made is absolutely shocking.

:wal: + :911: = Bucock:negative:
Haha, I felt the same way, no exaggeration. I know how you feel.

I started a TVIV Let's Watch thread (archives now) and uploaded the whole series to my useless vacant webhost. I consistently had like 300 goons (probably some friends and relatives) come back every single day for the next episode (two-a-day on weekends). Running Google Analytics on my web traffic was pretty awesome, had people watching from around the world. Great times, awesome conversation and analysis, robbed pretty much my every free moment. Totally worth all the time I spent getting it all up and going. You should totally indulge in your desire to evangelise the show, just get them past episode 4!

I burned out on the show after that, though. I think I'm going to have to wait a few more years before I want to watch an episode again, it doesn't have the rewatchability of my other favourite shows. I still often think of it, or whistle the FPA theme when I'm feeling patriotic. :patriot:

Gary Mitchell fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 7, 2011

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
I know a lot of people here hate TVTropes, and that site really has gone down the shitter, but I just can't bring myself to hate it because it introduced me to this great show. Holy poo poo, I just started watching it again, and it amazes me that even on repeat viewings, it just gets better and better.

Who here really likes Admiral Merkatz? I find his story a really interesting one, as he goes from fighting for the high nobles of the Empire to fighting for Yang Wenli and the Alliance because of his devotion to the old Goldenbaum dynasty. It's kind of sad that this old soldier is so loyal to a nation that doesn't deserve such loyalty and is essentially gone by the time he leaves the Empire for Yang's party.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Gary Mitchell posted:

I burned out on the show after that, though. I think I'm going to have to wait a few more years before I want to watch an episode again, it doesn't have the rewatchability of my other favourite shows. I still often think of it, or whistle the FPA theme when I'm feeling patriotic. :patriot:

Wait really? For me the length of it qualifies it for rewatching alone. There is just so much stuff crammed into the show that even after just having finished it, I wasn't 100% on all the events. Bonus for having already seen it, you can pick it up on just about any episode and not be completely lost. If I needed a giant time sink I would be watching it over again right now.

linall fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 10, 2011

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

linall posted:

Wait really? For me the length of it qualifies it for rewatching alone. There is just so much stuff crammed into the show that even after just having finished it, I wasn't 100% on all the events. Bonus for having already seen it, you can pick it up on just about any episode and not be completely lost. If I needed a giant time sink I would be watching it over again right now.

It's bizarre watching the first episode after finishing the series. First the animation is wonky, but all those people names that pop up and you go "what who the gently caress is this? I don't care"... YOU KNOW ALL THESE FUCKERS.

I was surprised that those no named gunners at the beginning never came up again.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

It's bizarre watching the first episode after finishing the series. First the animation is wonky, but all those people names that pop up and you go "what who the gently caress is this? I don't care"... YOU KNOW ALL THESE FUCKERS.

I was surprised that those no named gunners at the beginning never came up again.

This is perhaps one of the best parts of rewatching the series. Major characters from 30 or so episodes in the future will show up in minor roles (ie, Count Mariendorf in the Klopstock Rebellion).

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Gary Mitchell posted:

Haha, I felt the same way, no exaggeration. I know how you feel.

I started a TVIV Let's Watch thread (archives now) and uploaded the whole series to my useless vacant webhost. I consistently had like 300 goons (probably some friends and relatives) come back every single day for the next episode (two-a-day on weekends). Running Google Analytics on my web traffic was pretty awesome, had people watching from around the world. Great times, awesome conversation and analysis, robbed pretty much my every free moment. Totally worth all the time I spent getting it all up and going. You should totally indulge in your desire to evangelise the show, just get them past episode 4!

That's how I got hooked onto the show and how I managed to get all my friends hooked as well. Once you've finished the series, I think it is quite easy to get burnt out due to the sheer hours of television watched.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
This is still the greatest show I've ever seen, bar none. Everything just fell into place perfectly. Oberstein is just the best.

Also, this thread has been around seven years now as of the 9th. If any show deserves that, it's LoGH.

Finally, Golden Wings is subbed by C-A.

Downloaded it because I'm a completionist.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 15, 2011

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I just finished the series. The act of doing so fills me with the melancholy knowledge that, no matter how much anime I watch, I shall probably never see its equal.

LOGH was, quite simply, brilliant. They really know how to hit you with not just with the sudden sucker-punches, but also the slow ones that you see coming but are all the more terrible due to their inevitability. It's enough to make you want to curse capricious fate, or hope that it could somehow have played out differently. This is the only work of fiction that has had me thinking, "if only".

Without a doubt, Yang Wenli was my favourite character from the series. The moral and ethical issues he faces as the servant of a democratic country are both timeless and remarkably current.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Just got two friends started on watching this last night.

Already both are 10 episodes in. I'm doing my part.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's everyone's duty to force people to watch LOGH. We owe it no less.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I watched the first episode a year or two ago and promptly forgot about this series until recently. Thanks to the links in the first post I've watched the first movie and will soon be onto the second than the series proper. The classical music during the main space battle was awesome and fit the scene more than I thought it ever could.

What I love is the apparent scope of the series (based on the movie and this thread) and can't wait to see it unfold, god I'm a sucker for (well done) space opera stuff.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

thecallahan posted:

I watched the first episode a year or two ago and promptly forgot about this series until recently. Thanks to the links in the first post I've watched the first movie and will soon be onto the second than the series proper. The classical music during the main space battle was awesome and fit the scene more than I thought it ever could.
I was never sold so hard on anything as when I saw a space fleet battle set to the full 15 minutes of Bolero.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I just finished episode 15, Kircheis' red ship is so pimp.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Officer Sandvich posted:

I just finished episode 15, Kircheis' red ship is so pimp.

Episode 15 has to be the best one in the entire series. Up until then things for me had been formulaic, like, "ok, X Y and Z are going to happen and it'll lead to this" but at the start of the episode we dump the intro and the narrator basically opens it with "and then poo poo got real."

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Just finished episode 82, I did not see that coming, although they hinted at it I still didn't think they would do it. I have no idea where the series is going to go from here. I almost don't want to continue watching, almost.

This series is fantastic, I cannot believe I put off watching it for as long as I did. So happy I decided to watch it, now I must force more people to watch it.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Gorgolflox posted:

Just finished episode 82, I did not see that coming, although they hinted at it I still didn't think they would do it. I have no idea where the series is going to go from here. I almost don't want to continue watching, almost.

This series is fantastic, I cannot believe I put off watching it for as long as I did. So happy I decided to watch it, now I must force more people to watch it.

Keep watching. I can see why you may be a bit put off, but you would be depriving yourself of a whole bunch of excellent plot and character dynamics if you did.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

It took me over a dozen episodes over a span of months to get over that. The payoff at the end of the series is worth it all though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've just started watching this. I'm not a massive fan of anime and often stuff like cheap scenes where the camera pans on a still shot annoy me to hell, or just the mouth moves while talking and nothing else, but so far I've been hooked. The fights themselves can be hit or miss too, and I was seriously considering giving up after the first battle which was unsatisfying and the bit with the guy looking at the hologram of his wife was ridiculous. I'm glad I've stuck with it though as it's been getting better and better. I'm about 30 episodes in.

It annoys me to no end that Sword of the Stars 2 turned out to be a turd. Everytime I watch an episode with a lot of pew pew space battles I get an itch to play it.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 22, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

NoneSuch posted:

I've just started watching this. I'm not a massive fan of anime and often stuff like cheap scenes where the camera pans on a still shot annoy me to hell, or just the mouth moves while talking and nothing else, but so far I've been hooked. The fights themselves can be hit or miss too, and I was seriously considering giving up after the first battle which was unsatisfying and the bit with the guy looking at the hologram of his wife was ridiculous. I'm glad I've stuck with it though as it's been getting better and better. I'm about 30 episodes in.

It annoys me to no end that Sword of the Stars 2 turned out to be a turd. Everytime I watch an episode with a lot of pew pew space battles I get an itch to play it.

There's a SNES Legend of Galactic Heroes game out there. It's very abstract and even after an hour or so I didn't quite figure it out, but it does have a lot of pew pew in it. I tried playing the Astarte Encounter but let's just say I didn't handle it quite as skillfully as Reinhard did :angel:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They actually made a nice little RTS PC game fairly recently.

Japanese of course, so I've got no idea how to play it. Had fun fiddling with with the demo ages ago before the game came out. Not impossible to play, at all. Fairly good sized fleet battles too, though in a 2D plane, not 3D like the show.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty LOGH-ish and solid. It's more simplistic than some other similar gmaes but it's certainly not as lovely as COTSII

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

NoneSuch posted:

The animation gets better as time goes on (at least, it's not so limited). And yeah, the poo poo with Jean Paul was loving hilariously overwrought. I never had a problem with the battle itself though. Just about all the space battles in LoGH are loving intense and brutal, or at least interesting in some way.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

The animation gets better as time goes on (at least, it's not so limited). And yeah, the poo poo with Jean Paul was loving hilariously overwrought. I never had a problem with the battle itself though. Just about all the space battles in LoGH are loving intense and brutal, or at least interesting in some way.

If I go back and watch it now I'd enjoy it . At that point I didn't know any background details, so the incompetent commanders felt odd. Just watching the first episode briefly it's impressive how many future characters pop up which aren't very important until later.

Zorak posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty LOGH-ish and solid. It's more simplistic than some other similar gmaes but it's certainly not as lovely as COTSII

I could never get in to Sins and I was never sure why. Always felt like it would work best as a multiplayer game, rather against AI.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 22, 2011

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Okay, yeah, it's a bit of a cold start honestly but once you know all those people it's actually remarkably cool. The movie version of the first two eps eases things a lot, animation and pacing wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Speaking of which, both movies have finally be attached to BD video sources, and they look glorious.

Also, the entire series has been attached to 720p BD sourced 10bit video, if you've got the HD space for it. They're definitely upscaled, but not by someone as incompetent as Q-TEC so they look better than just upscaling the DVD itself does.