Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux posted:

everything mastered

all of it

yospos.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if any of you saw the "remastered" Red Dwarf you can understand why I'm nervous

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yea some of the remastered tos effects are way out of place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so should I watch terra nova or is it irredeemably bad

considering I was able to sit through falling skies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i didnt watch falling skies past the first ep.

that and V were like some scifi lite poo poo for tards. terra nova seems like its probably the same but idk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. so why havent they hosed everything in the future up? "its another time stream duh!!"

followed by a sound of thunder reference.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hope a dinosaur eats this kid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

falling skies was dumb as hell and I made it like 2 episodes into V, I'm not even going to bother with terra nova

sci fi TV will never be good again, sorry folks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Fringe owns

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
omg

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Kirk posted:

waoh

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
holy poo poo now you can see a naked dude in the reflection taking the footage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol so there are cave paintings in alternate universe dino times which means other humans or maybe aliens which could own alot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not actually the past or an alternate time stream. its actually way way future earth where human damage has been repaired and it has been reseeded with live

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
that still looks good, but I'm still wary.

The vfx guys in the 90s were targeting standard def television for output. There are surely a whole lot of flaws that standard def covered up. Are they going to clear out those exposed flaws? Are they going to remove matte lines and replace practical star-field effects with digital ones? How about things like standard def light diffusion on the nacelles, are they going to replace that with digital high def light diffusion effects?

it's just like the star wars special editions and to me, going overboard with that poo poo takes away from the original team's work

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

its not actually the past or an alternate time stream. its actually way way future earth where human damage has been repaired and it has been reseeded with live

and windows is far, far a memory in the distant past :swoon:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Amethyst posted:

The vfx guys in the 90s were targeting standard def television for output. There are surely a whole lot of flaws that standard def covered up. Are they going to clear out those exposed flaws? Are they going to remove matte lines and replace practical star-field effects with digital ones? How about things like standard def light diffusion on the nacelles, are they going to replace that with digital high def light diffusion effects?

it's just like the star wars special editions and to me, going overboard with that poo poo takes away from the original team's work
yeah i already called it they are gonna lucas it to poo poo

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Kirk posted:

Fantastic! I was worried but ...drat.

Sniep posted:

holy poo poo now you can see a naked dude in the reflection taking the footage

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

oh god oh god oh god :ohdear:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Amethyst posted:

theyre not adding dewbacks and poo poo you child

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I like that it looks like they're gonna have the warp nacelles look more like the DS9 cgi style, where the light coming from them is more consistent and not as blue. I think the whiter/brighter light looks better, and is less inclined to commit crimes or scam welfare.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Scene 37: In orbit of the planet
Ext. Space
The USS ENTERPRISE enters the frame. In the background we see a STRANGE PLANET. The starship is perfectly sharp, every detail of the hull from the STARBOARD VIEWPORTS to the SAUCER SEPERATION SEAM is crystal clear. Digitally enhanced GLOWING LIGHT emits perfectly from the ship's engines. In the background, swirling galaxies are visible amongst many millions of distant stars.
CUT TO:

Ext. Planet Surface.

TASHA YAR cautiously approaches the edge of a dark pool. She is standing on a CHEAP TELEVISION SET with a LAUGHABLY FAKE SKY BACKDROP. ARMUS is standing in the black pool covered in PROP GOOP and is quite obviously a guy in a 1980s Dr Who era monster suit. The AUDIENCE laughs it's rear end off because the contrast between this and the previous scene is impossible not to notice and the illusion is utterly shattered.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Amethyst posted:

Ext. Space
The USS ENTERPRISE enters the frame. In the background we see a STRANGE PLANET. The starship is perfectly sharp, every detail of the hull from the STARBOARD VIEWPORTS to the SAUCER SEPERATION SEAM is crystal clear. Digitally enhanced GLOWING LIGHT emits perfectly from the ship's engines. In the background, swirling galaxies are visible amongst many millions of distant stars.
CUT TO:

Ext. Planet Surface.

TASHA YAR cautiously approaches the edge of a dark pool. She is standing on a CHEAP TELEVISION SET with a LAUGHABLY FAKE SKY BACKDROP. ARMUS is standing in the black pool covered in PROP GOOP and is quite obviously a guy in a 1980s Dr Who era monster suit. The AUDIENCE laughs it's rear end off because the contrast between this and the previous scene is impossible not to notice and the illusion is utterly shattered.

i know i cant wait

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
michael okuda just posted that it's gonna be 4:3 but i'm preeeetty sure he's wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Ext. Space
CUT TO:

Ext. Planet Surface.

woot

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Ext. Space
CUT TO:

Ext. Planet Surface.

who gives a poo poo

if you're not watching TNG baked as hell with your buddies, making fun of the goofy parts and silently enjoying the cool parts then you're doing it wrong

if you need help/advice with this PM me and I'll be your friend-making coach

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i want to see data get an erection in hd. i will pay many dollers for the blu rays

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kirk posted:

michael okuda just posted that it's gonna be 4:3 but i'm preeeetty sure he's wrong

how is this possible? surely the entire show was shot in 4:3

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

FEMA summer camp posted:

who gives a poo poo

if you're not watching TNG baked as hell with your buddies, making fun of the goofy parts and silently enjoying the cool parts then you're doing it wrong

if you need help/advice with this PM me and I'll be your friend-making coach

well, first you gotta drop some hella negs, to make them self conscious, but then you can well you know just up the kino escalation ladder things go but remember to play safe friends are whores and you'll probably catch something

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol

quote:

When Riker was sucked into Armus, Jonathan Frakes was in fact submerged in a pool of Metamucil and printer's ink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Sb9BHmaxU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i wonder if they're going to fix set issues as well, like the black construction paper on the displays in s1. that poo poo will really stand out @ 1920x1080.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

qirex posted:

I read the KJA "saga of seven suns" books, dude is a master of characters who have exactly one personality trait that governs their every reaction to everything

Speaking of a goddamn slog. Glad I was able to get them from the library though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

duTrieux posted:

no, the bherb/kjand sequels literally added ocean-faring sandworms for whom water ain't no thing.

literally :catstare:d at this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

did they actually put sandworms in the battle of corrin? Then why is Emperor Shaddam shocked to see sandworms on the battlefield in Dune?

Did KJA even read the originals? Is he actually trolling?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kirk posted:

lol

speaking of shows that need to be remastered

b5 they lost all the cgi meshes so they'd literally have to re-do every single effects shot from scratch unlike tng where they have all the stock footage and optical effects on film and they just have to re-composite it all

Amethyst posted:

there's a big empty gray spot on the CGI voyager in the opening titles because some texture information was lost sending it from lightwave for PC (developed on) to lightwave for amiga (rendered on). berman said they didn't need to re-do it because nobody would notice. voyager.txt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

according to bherb kejand, baron harkonnen wasn't a self-made caricature of his own gluttony and lack of self-control. he was actually quite handsome! what happened is that he raped a bene gesserit and she gave him an std.

later he tried to attack them but they all turned invisible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Amethyst posted:

they very obviously just composited star fields in (at least on the earlier seasons), you can even see the loving greenscreen reflected on the taupe 80s furniture (along with the foregrounds being noticeably lower quality):

also looking back at these whoever's doing this certainly has their loving work cut out for them, this might possibly be literally the darkest show ever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

amf5 posted:

they very obviously just composited star fields in (at least on the earlier seasons), you can even see the loving greenscreen reflected on the taupe 80s furniture (along with the foregrounds being noticeably lower quality):

also looking back at these whoever's doing this certainly has their loving work cut out for them, this might possibly be literally the darkest show ever

the lighting director in season 1 was a giant dumbass who did things like put black cardboard over the shiny reflective panels on the back of the bridge because the hard lighting was so bright you could see studio poo poo reflected on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Luigi Thirty posted:

the lighting director in season 1 was a giant dumbass who did things like put black cardboard over the shiny reflective panels on the back of the bridge because the hard lighting was so bright you could see studio poo poo reflected on them

its worse than that i think, poo poo looks hosed up until the 4th season or so

i was playing around with mencoder a few months ago and tried to brighten them up a bit and do some color correction, and while it worked pretty well every scene with data in it was hilarious because the gamma blew out his face so it looked like a walking spotlight

idk though right around when the lighting got better so did the video quality, the later seasons look p good for old SD

• Locked thread