Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Gyges posted:

Franky took off after Law got everyone out of the cage. Remember the fart rocket?

Yes but he was supposed to go to the sunny wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Sunny is moored just a little down the shore from the Tanker. You know Franky can't resist checking out a giant tanker if he's already got the Sunny ready.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Whats the fun of a missile-missile fruit if you can only use it once in a kamikaze attack?!

You get to be Japanese.

XboxPants posted:

That was one of the best parts of the episode. I've been starting to get annoyed by how many fake-executions Brownbeard is taking (it's a lot, even for One Piece) but lampshading it like that goes a long way to making me feel alright about it.

Sorry, I meant it to sound like I approved, but re-reading, I realize I am a poor conversationalist.

Meme Emulator posted:

Why would Oda, a modern day japanese man, use american racist iconagraphy against his own race from the 40s when designing a character? Is he even aware of how Dr Seuss drew the Japanese?

I'm not saying it made sense, just saying that's what I first thought of. I guess that means I'm the racist.

Also, Franky is a little too invincible, but his gags are funny so I forgive him. Super excited to finally see Don Flamingo in action, but the fact that he has so many subordinates we haven't met yet leads me to believe something will detour him.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

something will detour him.

As someone who knows what will happen, this got a laugh out of me. :) Fun stuff ahead.

It's Doflamingo btw.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I just realised that Nami might be gay, specifically has a fetish for navy officers haha.

So we finally get to know who they're targeting, which makes sense when you know what SAD. What I can't figure out is why. I think it's part of a bigger scheme. If I remember correctly the Four Emperors are balanced out by the 7 warlords + 3 admirals (if there's still 3) creating some sort of peace between the pirates and the world government. It's between broken once leading to a war between the two sides. Only reason I can think of for Law to create an imbalance between the two sides is either a) he actually works for the government or b) he works for the Revolutionary army. Considering they've already taken over several island countries they must be extremely strong so my guess is that they're waiting for an opportunity to overthrow the government and wouldn't a massive war be a good opportunity.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

I just realised that Nami might be gay, specifically has a fetish for navy officers haha.

As much as the internet would love that, Japan doesn't really recognize lesbians as a thing. Besides, I don't think Oda would do a very good job of handling that; we've already seen what his idea of Gayland is.

Now Luffy has motivation to defeat all four of the Yonko. I guess that means, unlike the Shichibukai, he's actually going to fight all of them at some point.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

As much as the internet would love that, Japan doesn't really recognize lesbians as a thing. Besides, I don't think Oda would do a very good job of handling that; we've already seen what his idea of Gayland is.

Check your privilege, friend. That was clearly Transland :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Now Luffy has motivation to defeat all four of the Yonko. I guess that means, unlike the Shichibukai, he's actually going to fight all of them at some point.

Other than the one dude whose name we don't know yet, name one Warlord Luffy hasn't had a fight with.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Other than the one dude whose name we don't know yet, name one Warlord Luffy hasn't had a fight with.

I don't think he actually fought Hancock. Jinbei either.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm pretty sure he fought with Hancock briefly before he fought her sisters and let himself be arrested. Jinbei he fought at Fishman Island.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

I'm pretty sure he fought with Hancock briefly before he fought her sisters and let himself be arrested. Jinbei he fought at Fishman Island.

He also fought Jinbe on Amazon Lily.

Also has not fought directly with Doflamingo (yet) or Law I don't think.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

He didn't really fight Hancock. He just appeared in her throne room and she used her devil fruit powers on him to no effect.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drakkel posted:

He didn't really fight Hancock. He just appeared in her throne room and she used her devil fruit powers on him to no effect.

Well, then...um, he fought and conquered her heart. :colbert:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I just remembered when Smiley died a nearby apple changed into a devil fruit. I always thought this was the case with devil fruit users. Which is why I think blackbeard was searching for that specific devil fruit power in the first place, probably because he killed the last user and knew that somewhere a piece of fruit will morph. Maybe that's how he got Whitebeards powers? Doesn't really explain why he has more than one power at a time

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

I just remembered when Smiley died a nearby apple changed into a devil fruit. I always thought this was the case with devil fruit users. Which is why I think blackbeard was searching for that specific devil fruit power in the first place, probably because he killed the last user and knew that somewhere a piece of fruit will morph. Maybe that's how he got Whitebeards powers? Doesn't really explain why he has more than one power at a time

But Whitebeard was already dead several minutes when Blackbeard did his whole cloak and steal trick. I think blackbeard's fruit is unique in giving him the ability to assimilate other fruits into himself. He can absorb matter with it, why not other stuff?

Edit: It has also been specifically stated that something is physiologically different in BB's body that makes him able to withstand the use of multiple fruits.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

But Whitebeard was already dead several minutes when Blackbeard did his whole cloak and steal trick. I think blackbeard's fruit is unique in giving him the ability to assimilate other fruits into himself. He can absorb matter with it, why not other stuff?

Edit: It has also been specifically stated that something is physiologically different in BB's body that makes him able to withstand the use of multiple fruits.

Yes but its something from before he ate the fruit.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Yes but its something from before he ate the fruit.

And something that other people (I think Sengoku said it?) know about somehow. Which is really interesting why.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with Punk Hazard almost done, do you think we'll have another filler arc?

I'm kind of hoping we do, I've liked a couple of them. Specifically G8 and the Lily Giant one.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
This summer I started continuing the One Piece anime where I left it off a few years ago, which was at the start of the Water 7 arc. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now in the middle of the Thriller Bark arc. Just out of curiosity, because I did not follow this thread back then: what are the opinions on the Thriller Bark arc?

I am enjoying myself fine, but the zombies aren't really doing it for me and while Gecko Moria is a Shichibukai, I can't really imagine him being much of a threat (though I have not yet seen him in action, so no spoilers please) like Crocodile was. On the whole, the arc and its villains seem much more like a joke than CP9 was in the preceding saga.

I do already know that Brook will be added to the crew and he seems like a great addition to me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Funny Bunny posted:

This summer I started continuing the One Piece anime where I left it off a few years ago, which was at the start of the Water 7 arc. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now in the middle of the Thriller Bark arc. Just out of curiosity, because I did not follow this thread back then: what are the opinions on the Thriller Bark arc?

I started reading the manga at this point, while still watching the anime, which started putting me into the mindset of "they did this scene well, but I think they coulda done this one better, this part is filler, this part was really good in the manga and they nailed it in the anime, and oh god did they really have to make a one panel gag into a loving 5 minute dance number?"

Thriller Bark is where a "shift" in how the One Piece anime is handled starts happening, which makes the arc kinda weird. It's still really good One Piece, but it sets the tone and pace for the anime to follow, which only makes sense in retrospect. FYI the tone and pace for One Piece to follow is to be slow as loving hell, wildly swinging between cheap rear end animation and super obnoxious overly animated animation, super annoying unfunny filler injected right into the main story rather than side stories, royally loving up the pacing and upping the pervert quota by 90%.

... oh, wait, you were asking about the arc itself? It's pretty good, starts out slow but once it builds some momentum it just builds and builds and builds to that completely chaotic climax that makes One Piece so good. I prefer how the manga did it as the black and white works really well with the faux-horror atmosphere, but the anime version won't do you wrong.

Just be sure to switch to the manga sometime soon, the anime starts its downward slope here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Andrew_1985 posted:

So with Punk Hazard almost done, do you think we'll have another filler arc?

I'm kind of hoping we do, I've liked a couple of them. Specifically G8 and the Lily Giant one.

Nope. Filler arcs are a thing of the past because creating and animating short story arcs is more expensive than just animating one chapter per episode. The anime will never catch up with the manga again. Plus there's no room for a filler arc right now.

Funny Bunny posted:

I really liked Thriller Bark. While they were shifting into their new way of maintaining distance from the manga in the arc, I don't really feel it begins to be really noticeable until around the arc after the one that follows Thriller Bark. Personally I really like most of the zombies and find Moria to be good enough at what his role is that he's likable enough. Though up until the full crew reuniting Luffy and Geko's interaction can get a little tiresome.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Moria, (non-Thriller Bark spoilers) When he steals all those shadows from the soldiers at Marineford, shouldn't they all have immediately died and then not been any use to Moria? And doesn't that make Moria's power actually incredibly lethal in the sun?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Speaking of Moria, (non-Thriller Bark spoilers) When he steals all those shadows from the soldiers at Marineford, shouldn't they all have immediately died and then not been any use to Moria? And doesn't that make Moria's power actually incredibly lethal in the sun?

I am pretty sure he doesn't lose the shadow if the body dies. That is somewhat suggested when Hogback talks about how it is best to get rid of the owner post-extraction.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

I am pretty sure he doesn't lose the shadow if the body dies. That is somewhat suggested when Hogback talks about how it is best to get rid of the owner post-extraction.

The shadow and body are still linked so if the body dies the shadow is also gone. That's why they get rid of the owner if they're of any notable power afterwards, if they're running around trying to get their shadow back there's a good chance they'll die.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
About the latest episode, I'm so happy to finally see Doflamingo fight. I've been waiting for him to fight since he was first introduced. Killing Spring-Spring man his first appearance, right? I figured he had the Ito-Ito no Mi since the first time I saw him. Only took them like 400 episodes to get to the reveal (I presume they'll reveal it next episode). Now another 400 episodes until we figure out his New Era plan.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gyges posted:

Nope. Filler arcs are a thing of the past because creating and animating short story arcs is more expensive than just animating one chapter per episode. The anime will never catch up with the manga again. Plus there's no room for a filler arc right now.

We just had a filler miniarc just before the current arc, even though it was the market the new movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought that Strong World and Z were considered canon.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Their canonicity is really weird, it seems Shiki and Z as characters are canon, as well as that chapter 0 he released for Strong World, but there's no place in continuity to fit those stories. Personally I won't think they are until they're directly referenced to in the manga.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Petiso posted:

Their canonicity is really weird, it seems Shiki and Z as characters are canon, as well as that chapter 0 he released for Strong World, but there's no place in continuity to fit those stories. Personally I won't think they are until they're directly referenced to in the manga.

Oda wrote Strong World and said it is canon so it is canon. It happens in between Thriller Bark and Sabaody.

Z is not canon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Oda wrote Strong World and said it is canon so it is canon. It happens in between Thriller Bark and Sabaody.

Z is not canon.

He also wrote Z...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kild posted:

He also wrote Z...

No he didn't.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Senor Candle posted:

Z is not canon.

It's weird because Strong World doesn't really fit in at all, and Z is honestly the one that feels, of any of the movies, the most like a legitimate One Piece story that the series is stronger for having included.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

No he didn't.

He didnt, but he still oversaw the production and it is canon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Any reason to deny mini-mini giants and Alpacacino, a mortar that ate the alpaca fruit, is totally wrong and invalid.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KoB posted:

He didnt, but he still oversaw the production and it is canon.

There's a pretty big difference between overseeing the production and writing the movie.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Z is not canon.

Source? I know he wrote it but he has also written other filler stuff (from the top of my head, at least the OVA and Loguetown's filler episodes), and I don't think these debates would exist had he explicitly said it is canon.

It doesn't fit very nicely between Thriller Bark and Sabaody because Zoro was still heavily injured during Duval and Sabaody arcs and Brook plainly saying it was the first time he was fighting as a Straw Hat against the Tobiou Riders.

Besides, it would be pretty lovely to have the manga be an incomplete story that requires supplemental material, although it's true it's been done before, like in Genshiken (the author even apologized for it on an author blurb).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Petiso posted:

Source? I know he wrote it but he has also written other filler stuff (from the top of my head, at least the OVA and Loguetown's filler episodes), and I don't think these debates would exist had he explicitly said it is canon.

It doesn't fit very nicely between Thriller Bark and Sabaody because Zoro was still heavily injured during Duval and Sabaody arcs and Brook plainly saying it was the first time he was fighting as a Straw Hat against the Tobiou Riders.

Besides, it would be pretty lovely to have the manga be an incomplete story that requires supplemental material, although it's true it's been done before, like in Genshiken (the author even apologized for it on an author blurb).

After searching for I bit I've only found other people saying they've seen Oda say so I'll retract that.

Even if Strong World is canon, it doesn't mean the manga by itself is an incomplete story.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oda did designs for costumes and the animals in Strong World. He was a producer for both Strong World and Z. That's the extent to which he is officially credited (besides being credited as the original creator, of course. But that goes without saying).

Prison Warden posted:

It's weird because Strong World doesn't really fit in at all, and Z is honestly the one that feels, of any of the movies, the most like a legitimate One Piece story that the series is stronger for having included.

Yeah, Strong World had some backtracking to East Blue to fight the forgettable filler villain. Kinda feels strange when you consider the effort it took to get that far into the Grand Line!

Meanwhile Z's antagonist felt like he fit into the setting quite naturally and they actually took time to develop him a little instead of making him a bad guy that does bad things to make orphaned children sad just because.

At the end of the day he was still the antagonist of a Shonen Jump movie, but it actually felt like they *tried*, and that's what counts!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait, what was that at the end there? Are they actually doing filler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

At the end of the day he was still the antagonist of a Shonen Jump movie

That reminds me, are we not getting a movie this year?