Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just realized that this hasn't been posted yet... someone made a fantastic South Park/Book of Mormon crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

No hope...

I found it quite surprising that the episode seems to be generally disliked. But that and the Red Wings celebration set to You are the Champions made it for me one of the best finales. It's depressing, hilarious, and manages to poke fun at sports movies at the same time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

ChairMaster posted:

Stanley's cup had the best ending out of any episode in the show. Possibly out of any episode of any show. It blew my mind.

To this day the last scene in Here Comes The Neighborhood can make me laugh to the point of tears.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Murmur Twin posted:

To this day the last scene in Here Comes The Neighborhood can make me laugh to the point of tears.
Well at least we got rid of all those ni

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cacator posted:

This is exactly why Isaac Hayes left the show.

I thought Matt and Trey had come out and said that he didn't care and they think he was forced by Scientology to quit?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stick of Truth is on sale on Steam for $40 (down from $60), and it might go even lower soon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I thought Matt and Trey had come out and said that he didn't care and they think he was forced by Scientology to quit?

He didn't quit until a while after the episode aired so yes this scenario is more likely. Scientology pressured or coerced Hayes to quit.

Edit: and let's not forget how Return of Chef was actually somewhat sympathetic to his character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose posted:

Wasn't he not in the best health by then?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChairMaster posted:

Stanley's cup had the best ending out of any episode in the show. Possibly out of any episode of any show. It blew my mind.

Agreed, I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't he not in the best health by then?

I thought his death was relatively sudden.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bjay9 posted:

I thought his death was relatively sudden.

I looked it up and he had a stroke and then all of a sudden "he" releases a statement saying that he's quitting the show.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jose posted:

Here's how all that went down.

Long story short: In the end, Hayes said it was the dwindling pay he was getting from the show, not Scientology, that made up his mind to leave. He was right on that count, as he was appearing less and less on the show.

Season 18 begins on September 24! :)

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 7, 2014

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Outstanding Animated Program
"Archer" • Archer Vice: The Rules Of Extraction
"Bob's Burgers" • Mazel Tina
"Futurama" • Meanwhile
*** "South Park" • Black Friday ***
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - The Manhattan Project

Was Black Friday a good choice?

I wonder why the whole trilogy wasn't submitted, like Imaginationland was in 2008.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

WillieWestwood posted:

Here's how all that went down.

Long story short: In the end, Hayes said it was the dwindling pay he was getting from the show, not Scientology, that made up his mind to leave. He was right on that count, as he was appearing less and less on the show.

Season 18 begins on September 24! :)

That still seems like a bullshit reason. Voice acting is usually considered a cushy job that can be done in an afternoon.

Even if Hayes wasn't in the spotlight enough for his taste, it's not like Hayes was a highly in demand actor reviving his career. The South Park VA gigs were basically easy money for a guy who hasn't been in the spotlights since the late 70s.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hulu has taken over streaming duties at South Park Studios. This means two things:

1. Basic Hulu - free LD episodes with ads

2. Hulu Plus - HD episodes with few or no ads, all you want for $7.99 a month, on a month-to-month basis.

southparkstudios.com is gone, replaced by southpark.cc.com

South Park Studios Classic is gone, so we're now stuck with a site design a lot of people didn't want a year ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WillieWestwood posted:

Hulu has taken over streaming duties at South Park Studios. This means two things:

1. Basic Hulu - free LD episodes with ads

2. Hulu Plus - HD episodes with few or no ads, all you want for $7.99 a month, on a month-to-month basis.

southparkstudios.com is gone, replaced by southpark.cc.com

South Park Studios Classic is gone, so we're now stuck with a site design a lot of people didn't want a year ago.
Goddamnit :smith: I haven't used South Park Studios in a few years but I used to use it all the time, so it's sad to see it sort of get phased out and become something less palatable.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Goddammit I loving hate Hulu. I would sign up for it in a second if paying meant no ads. gently caress ads.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Now I've been using AdBlock Plus+ for years now, but I'm pretty sure South Park Studios had ads on its copies of the show. Also, yeah ads suck but they're nowhere near as long as what it is on actual TV, 2 minutes at the most per block as opposed to 5. Lastly, with Hulu+ at least you can watch programming that's on and current.

In the last few years I've used Hulu+ to watch or re-watch Daria, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The State, Key & Peele, Jon Benjamin Has a Van, Nathan for You, Kroll Show, Chappelle's Show, Inside Amy Schumer, Broad City, Raising Hope, Parks and Rec, Bob's Burgers and South Park. I'm sure there are a few others that I'm forgetting. For me to have access to those requires a terrible website or pirating or a cable subscription.

I'm cool with the 8 bucks for all that. I don't know. Is it a cash grab? Sure! But it's not like it's part of some exclusive 15 dollar tier or anything. I can understand people being annoyed but everyone gnashing their teeth is just over the top.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You're the reason the internet sucks now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Boywhiz88 posted:

Now I've been using AdBlock Plus+ for years now, but I'm pretty sure South Park Studios had ads on its copies of the show. Also, yeah ads suck but they're nowhere near as long as what it is on actual TV, 2 minutes at the most per block as opposed to 5. Lastly, with Hulu+ at least you can watch programming that's on and current.

In the last few years I've used Hulu+ to watch or re-watch Daria, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The State, Key & Peele, Jon Benjamin Has a Van, Nathan for You, Kroll Show, Chappelle's Show, Inside Amy Schumer, Broad City, Raising Hope, Parks and Rec, Bob's Burgers and South Park. I'm sure there are a few others that I'm forgetting. For me to have access to those requires a terrible website or pirating or a cable subscription.

I'm cool with the 8 bucks for all that. I don't know. Is it a cash grab? Sure! But it's not like it's part of some exclusive 15 dollar tier or anything. I can understand people being annoyed but everyone gnashing their teeth is just over the top.

Do you work for hulu or something

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Eh, its perfectly understandable to be annoyed that Free Cool Thing is gone and replaced with Less Free Less Cool Thing. Sure, Hulu isn't as bad as some, but its still a pretty big downgrade.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
It's also perfectly understandable to accept that Less Free Less Cool Thing is still cooler and far cheaper than the alternative was a decade ago (i.e pay >10x more for cable or satellite with 2-3x the commercials), without having to be a corporate shill, or "the reason the internet sucks now".

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

WillieWestwood posted:

This has already been going on for some time. They've long had the full South Park episode catalogue (with one obvious exception) and I've recently noticed watching entire episodes where a single ad wouldn't play. It was kind of nice.

Sucks we're losing southparkstudios.com in the process though.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I will pirate until the TV people stop putting ads in stuff I paid for and give me downloadable files instead of streaming.

program666 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I remember when everything on the internet was free by default. Modern internet's neverending series of micro-transaction bullshit is like death by 1000 cuts, and it burns my butt every time some enabler goes "but its only :10bux:." No, its :10bux: here, :10bux: there. :10bux: to watch a show. :10bux: to watch it in HD. :10bux: to talk about it. :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

:10bux: to talk about it.

Yeah, what kind of idiots would pay $10 to talk about stuff on the internet?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, gently caress hulu. I'll catch reruns on CC/on demand.

I hope hulu knows astroturfing their stupid poo poo onto shows people like isn't going to save their sinking ship. I hope CC/Viacom gets a loving clue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, Hulu is just getting all the episodes until September, when the new season starts. Then they'll be getting the new episodes a day after they air but will cut down the back catalog.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Grin and Tonic posted:

Do you work for hulu or something

No, I just don't see it as much different than when a streaming music service might get an artist as an exclusive. It's a way for Viacom and Tre and Matt to make more money, but it's not like it's the worst option. I'm just not that upset because I've used Hulu+ for awhile to access shows I wanted to watch on my TV without paying for a cable subscription.

muscles like this? posted:

Also, Hulu is just getting all the episodes until September, when the new season starts. Then they'll be getting the new episodes a day after they air but will cut down the back catalog.

Now this I didn't realize. I was under the impression that the back catalog would remain on Hulu+. The 30 random episodes is a really dumb thing to do.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Irish Joe posted:

Modern internet's neverending series of micro-transaction bullshit is like death by 1000 cuts, and it burns my butt every time some enabler goes "but its only :10bux:." No, its :10bux: here, :10bux: there. :10bux: to watch a show. :10bux: to watch it in HD. :10bux: to talk about it. :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Outright making poo poo up isn't really helping your argument.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I get ads if it's free. They gotta make money. But a paid version should be ad free goddammit. Does hulu still ask you to "pick your ad experience" or whatever?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Boywhiz88 posted:

Now this I didn't realize. I was under the impression that the back catalog would remain on Hulu+. The 30 random episodes is a really dumb thing to do.

They'll all still be on Hulu+. It's the free regular Hulu that will only have a limited number of episodes.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Fateo McMurray posted:

I get ads if it's free. They gotta make money. But a paid version should be ad free goddammit. Does hulu still ask you to "pick your ad experience" or whatever?

almost every one is like now that its infuriating

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like how they're now asking you to pay money for a shittier service. I'm suddenly depressed as I watch a handful of really suck-rear end web flatforms slowly make the internet worse inch by inch.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I saw so many replies to this thread and thought it must be something cool but instead it is something sad. Rest in peace South Park Studios free streaming.

Guess I won't be watching South Park on demand anymore. N-thing the "if I pay there should be no ads" mentality. Go jump off a cliff Hulu.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I heard about this last night, it sucks but if they still have 30ish rotating episodes available (I think thats the plan), that's fine for me.

I don't spend all day on SPS but it's one of my go-to's if I'm eating a late dinner at my desk/need a break from work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how's that going to work outside the US? Hulu never let me see anything on their lovely site so if that's how it's going to work now too, they can go gently caress themselves :(

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes, as well as "is this ad relevant to you?" Which means Hulu is trying to make the viewing experience more palatable to you, but I can do without ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

So how's that going to work outside the US? Hulu never let me see anything on their lovely site so if that's how it's going to work now too, they can go gently caress themselves :(

It's possible to watch regular Hulu using a VPN, but you can't sign up for Hulu+ outside of the US.

(I hate Hulu. There's only one extended episode of Parks & Rec that I haven't been able to see, because it's Hulu+ exclusive right now. Rrrg.)

• Locked thread