Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

X-Wing for now, definitely. They're up to 8 waves of releases, compared to Armada's 1 right now (wave 2 is coming soon, but still...). Armada will be a good game once it has some good ship variety to it, but for now there's only 5 capital ships available across the entire game compared to who knows how many for X-Wing (plus the Scum and Villainy faction, for a little more variety).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Thing about Armada, is everyone I met that is playing it or is thinking of playing it is waiting on Wave 2. That's where you get the iconic Imperial Star Destroyer, Akbhar's Trap ship, fighters like Boba Fett and Han Solo, Imperial Raiders, and so on.

It's a pretty fun game already, but people playing it now are mostly treating it as a training experience in anticipation of Wave 2.

And as there are a ton of imperial star destroyers on previous order, a bunch of people are expected to jump in once wave 2 fjnally comes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can also build a X-Wing army really cheap and jump right in compared to Armada.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

The Gate posted:

True it might not. There's an upgrade card in the pack though, so I'm hoping it might. Even without, the blues will add a decent chance at getting a natural accuracy result to shut down braces.

The preview shows that one version has a red die in the front and presumably just has red instead of blue.

I'm more excited about the episode vii star destroyer than the isd I think.

I haven't painted in a while and painting my victory and gladiator was easy as hell, it's good to be back. I painted them to match the movies, a much lighter grey and very clean.

Off topic tip: liquitex brush on matte varnish works extremely well if you ignore the instructions to stir gently and instead shake it like crazy. As good as dullcote and I'm not scared off using it in 100% humidity.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

If I only want to pick one to get into, which should I choose and why?

I like Armada better because I like the big ships and 6 turns makes for a relatively short game. Downside is that it's more expensive to get into and there aren't very many ships out for it yet.

X-Wing is a cheaper game, fun, and it has a lot of expansions, but it's a less flavorful "gamey" sort of game and can take quite a while to finish a match. There are a shitload of players, and you can probably get a game anytime you want to at your local gaming store.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Twin Shadows is only $30 on Amazon right now. I'm sure the price fluctuates but I'm jumping on that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

Twin Shadows is only $30 on Amazon right now. I'm sure the price fluctuates but I'm jumping on that.

"A mini-campaign challenges players to investigate the Imperial presence on Tattooing"
sweet, I didn't know the emperor was into tattoos.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zeroisanumber posted:

I like Armada better because ... 6 turns makes for a relatively short game.

X-Wing ... can take quite a while to finish a match.

These two things are literally the opposite of true. There's a reason X-wing tournaments that are 5 rounds can be finished same-day, and Armada tournaments that are 5 rounds take two solid days of gaming.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, Armada takes a lot longer for setup/tear down and there is a lot more time that you take on the turns because of the amount of movement choices. It's gonna get even worse with wave 2 and 400 point limits.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If anyone gets their hands on Twin Shadows, I'm eagerly awaiting some first impressions/reviews

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

If anyone gets their hands on Twin Shadows, I'm eagerly awaiting some first impressions/reviews

I just ordered mine with all the character packs because I am bad at not wanting everything. I will have it in 3 days.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Our group picked up everything, but we're waiting to use the stuff until we finish our current campaign. Given we're only half-way through, and we're only doing about one mission every other week, this may take a while. Still, everything looks pretty good. The new Commando hero has equipment he can buy for XP; he has an weapon upgrade that improves his basic power, and some heavy armor. The Engineer hero gives out device tokens that people can use to improve their rolls in combat or on attribute tests, which seems pretty cool. Don't know how powerful it will be in practice, though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I just ordered mine with all the character packs because I am bad at not wanting everything. I will have it in 3 days.

I also did this :homebrew:

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Same here. Dolla dolla bills.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Strobe posted:

These two things are literally the opposite of true. There's a reason X-wing tournaments that are 5 rounds can be finished same-day, and Armada tournaments that are 5 rounds take two solid days of gaming.

At the Armada nationals, the 6 round cap got hit more often than the two hour time limit, but some people just take forever making decisions. In casual play however, I find that Armada takes about an hour per game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Our group picked up everything, but we're waiting to use the stuff until we finish our current campaign. Given we're only half-way through, and we're only doing about one mission every other week, this may take a while. Still, everything looks pretty good. The new Commando hero has equipment he can buy for XP; he has an weapon upgrade that improves his basic power, and some heavy armor. The Engineer hero gives out device tokens that people can use to improve their rolls in combat or on attribute tests, which seems pretty cool. Don't know how powerful it will be in practice, though.

Plus, and I don't know hire I didn't realize it until I was holding the mini, but the commando is rocking scavenged storm trooper armor

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Reynold posted:

At the Armada nationals, the 6 round cap got hit more often than the two hour time limit, but some people just take forever making decisions. In casual play however, I find that Armada takes about an hour per game.

My armada games are tending to go pretty quick, too. Relaxed pace 300 points while stopping every now and again to talk to people has us around an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half or so. Could probably get it down around an hour if we cut the chitchat and other nonsense, but it's casual for now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

I'm new to the game and my games have gone one and a half hours tops, and that's because I still don't have a solid grip on the mechanics. Once I play through a bit more, I'll likely be able to get them done in an hour.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Went to the Armada league today. Nobody there but me and the organizer. He's moving soon, so he will probably only be around for one more. I'll have to find some other group once wave 2 comes out, since I'm kind of bored with armada at this point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My X-wing games typically last about half an hour from start to finish, and they'll maybe last an hour. It's really dependent on the kind of list, though, which I'm assuming is also the case with Armada.

The fact that there is a two hour time limit for a round in Armada, and a 75 minute time limit for a round in X-wing is pretty telling.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

There is a Vassal Tournament going on for Armada out in the FFG Forums, with a lot of big names from the US and Australian nationals competing. Some players are posting their game logs of the rounds as well. Might be worthwhile to check out to see some high level play, if you have Vassal.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/184881-vassal-armada-tournament-signups-results/

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Reynold posted:

Went to the Armada league today. Nobody there but me and the organizer. He's moving soon, so he will probably only be around for one more. I'll have to find some other group once wave 2 comes out, since I'm kind of bored with armada at this point.

there's been at least 3-4 other people who have come at various times, i don't know where they have vanished to

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/25/the-massing-at-sullust/

Looks like "unavoidable production delays" are what is keeping Wave 2 off the shelves for Armada. But that means a pre-release event, so yay!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Val Helmethead posted:

Looks like "unavoidable production delays" are what is keeping Wave 2 off the shelves for Armada. But that means a pre-release event, so yay!

Probs lingo for all their factories are tied up making episode seven stuff.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Val Helmethead posted:

The ISD II is shown on that link. 120 points for that thing is a little steep, but 8 dice out the front is mean. It will be temping to get 3 of them and run them down the table in a line.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It has the slot for advanced projectors and two redirects. Too bad you can't put Yularen on there to repair 3 shields per turn, but I guess you could do it with Tarkin. 120 is a bit more than I thought it would be, and it seems like it might be a bit too much. We'll see what titles it gets.

At that price it definitely keeps the victory in the picture, which is good.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

It also gets speed 3, which is nice.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Weissritter posted:

It also gets speed 3, which is nice.

Very nice. Between that, the Contain defense token, two anti-squadron dice, and 11 hull, I think I'll be very happy with it. From the Wave 2 announcement picture, they can also gain access to an Evade defense token, which is pretty swell.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Taran_Wanderer posted:

the Contain defense token

I saw that. What is it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I saw that. What is it?
Means that you don't have to resolve critical hits face up if you use the defence token.

EDIT: Quoting actual text: "The Contain token can cancel the standard critical effect of a shot that passes through your shields to your hull."

Emphasis of standard: other critical effects (such as Assault Concussion Missiles) aren't affected.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

The ISD II is shown on that link. 120 points for that thing is a little steep, but 8 dice out the front is mean. It will be temping to get 3 of them and run them down the table in a line.

4 frontal shields seems a little light for one of the big boys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The MC80 is the same (and has better side/back shields). I think it's fine, the presence of redirect tokens make big ships like the ISD/VSD/MC80 tougher than their shield values actually show.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

4 frontal shields seems a little light for one of the big boys.

11 hull though. That's going to take a fair bit to chew through, especially with Contain being in play. With an engineering team and engineering commands, it's going to be a beast to bring down.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

11 hull though. That's going to take a fair bit to chew through, especially with Contain being in play. With an engineering team and engineering commands, it's going to be a beast to bring down.

Add Motti for 14 hull. :getin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Or take Admiral Motti to make them 14 hull each.

I can already see lists of 2 ISD IIs, an ISD I, all with advanced projectors, and Motti. You need to reduce one of the ships to the cheaper version in order to get projectors on them all. Each ship will have 12 shield, and 14 hull to chew through, and is going to be very tough to crack in just 6 rounds.

i think a lot of the weapon upgrades are about to get a lot more useful to help dealing with those things.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

With an engineering team, a token (thanks, Tarkin!), and a repair command you could potentially discard 2 damage cards per turn, right? That'd be 7 engineering points :stare:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Icon Of Sin posted:

With an engineering team, a token (thanks, Tarkin!), and a repair command you could potentially discard 2 damage cards per turn, right? That'd be 7 engineering points :stare:

Sure, if it could take a support team. None of the 4 engineering ships can so far, it seems like.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

The VSDs can already do that with Tarkin. All you need is 4 engineering and a token. No need to bring along the engineering team.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I started painting the minis from Twin Shadows. Really looking forward to adding Somos and the new support weapon troopers to my Imperials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

When I went to pick up Wave 7 of X-Wing today, the guy who runs the store mentioned that he is going to host an Armada Wave 2 event that was linked here earlier. Was even better that he was going to give priority spots to his regular customers, as it being a smaller shop, he really only has room for about 6 or 7 games at the standard 6x3 size.

Now I just have to figure out if I take a 2 Gladiator and VSD assault concussion missile list, or try to find something that specifically counters a list like that.