Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

KyloWinter posted:

Guy A was ejected from the event obviously.

Thank god. Epee rules are pretty much straightforward, so loving up is really hard, both for the ref and the fencer. That's what makes refereeing high level epee tournaments so complicated: you have to be able to deal with that kind of stuff as quick as possible and with the full force of the FIE Rulebook. Just take out the card, tell them to go back on guard, and restart the match. Sounds easy when you don't have to deal with the 2m, 90kg hulks that are most world-class male epeeists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Siivola posted:

You guys just can't appreciate loving up your body for art. :colbert:

On a less flippant note, I'm sort of leery of rules of thumb like "no knee past the heel/toes". It's fine for stopping dumb enthusiastic kids from loving themselves up, but it's not actual medical advice. Unfit people can blow out their knees even with correct form (almost been there) and fit yoga-and-workout people can do ridiculous poo poo without worry.

Which isn't to say that it's tactically correct to lunge like you're a 17th-century Frenchman.

Also sports massage is (clinically proven) magic and I sincerely recommend it.

His knee isn't actually over his ankle though, he's just doing a drop lunge. What IS wrong about his pose is that he looks like he is rolling the ankle, which is dumb to do for almost the exact same reasons.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

your friend a dog posted:

His knee isn't actually over his ankle though, he's just doing a drop lunge. What IS wrong about his pose is that he looks like he is rolling the ankle, which is dumb to do for almost the exact same reasons.

i thought so too but when i looked again it looks like the sole of his foot is just barely on the floor

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

i thought so too but when i looked again it looks like the sole of his foot is just barely on the floor

drat cheap woodcuts. i bet they got them for a 10 buck commision on deviantengravers

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Woah. Just participated in FlowerPoint in Pennsylvania over the weekend, which is a Longpoint league event. I came in 21st out of 60. It was really cool because things were starting to happen with muscle memory and I didn't parry with my hands at all (lol). I'm feeling really good about this given that my first class was in October. =)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Uziel posted:

Woah. Just participated in FlowerPoint in Pennsylvania over the weekend, which is a Longpoint league event. I came in 21st out of 60. It was really cool because things were starting to happen with muscle memory and I didn't parry with my hands at all (lol). I'm feeling really good about this given that my first class was in October. =)

Congrats dude. Any VODs from the event?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The wiring on my foil gave out and I'll have to fence with a loaner tomorrow. :negative:

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

KyloWinter posted:

Congrats dude. Any VODs from the event?
Thanks! Yeah, I need to grab it from my wife's phone. I'll post them soon! Still lots of things to work on since my footwork is still atrocious and I never step offline.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

The wiring on my foil gave out and I'll have to fence with a loaner tomorrow. :negative:

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Rewiring a blade is heaps of fun - bending the thing scary-looking amounts, trying not to crush the wire when you screw the grip back on, then hoping you bent the blade enough beforehand and that the wire doesn't snap on the first touch.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Double postin' because my sabre gear arrived (mask, glove, lame), it's all awesome and shiny. Fits just like the guide on the Uhlmann website said, which is kinda annoying because I'm right at the upper end of the size I got while being definitely too small for the next size up. Time to decide whether I want to go pretend to be Gu Bongil or Aron Szilagyi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXfcjK67aM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFE4WvGaMk0

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Aaand I tore the other calf. Nowhere near as bad as last time, but still loving annoying.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh no. Hope you get better soon. :(

Foil update: I gave it to the local shopkeep to fix, which turned out a mistake since I'm still waiting. But today I ended up borrowing the club's electric French grip on a lark and... :stwoon:

Also my jacket finally arrived, so I'm a plastron and a spare foil short of competition kit.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is this pretty indicative of saber fighting?
https://youtu.be/n5w2Mh6CyXo

It's interesting to watch, but it looks like they're aiming for each other's sword a lot. Am I seeing it wrong or is that part of the technique?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Not enough screaming and Italians to be saber fencing, myth busted

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Marsden's written the book on recreating 16th century Polish sabre fighting, so I'd assume he's got the technique down.

Tacticswise it looks like lots of doing much nothing and looking for an opportunity to snipe the face or the wrist.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Is this pretty indicative of saber fighting?
https://youtu.be/n5w2Mh6CyXo

It's interesting to watch, but it looks like they're aiming for each other's sword a lot. Am I seeing it wrong or is that part of the technique?

It's possible that they're simply positioning themselves well enough to be able to defend, counter, defend against the counter, etc, etc. As in when one person starts a swing he's aiming for an opening, but the other person moves to parry and they clash, then the person who parried attacks an open spot and the one who attacked initially defends against the counter and so on.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Buried alive posted:

It's possible that they're simply positioning themselves well enough to be able to defend, counter, defend against the counter, etc, etc. As in when one person starts a swing he's aiming for an opening, but the other person moves to parry and they clash, then the person who parried attacks an open spot and the one who attacked initially defends against the counter and so on.

Gotcha. Like I said, I enjoyed it, parts of OT just looked like a staged fight to my novice eyes.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
prob b/c its garbage technique

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

prob b/c its garbage technique

Zing. Wasn't Polish Saber a bit after swords had started to fall out of use on the battlefield? I had thought it suffered from the same limitations like Hutton Saber wherein soldiers (not having to really live/die by their swords anymore) lost some of the most efficacious elements in favor of what was easy to teach/learn.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Marsden's book is about the sabre around the 16th century, which was still all about chopping your fellow man to bits.

But it really is like Hutton sabre in that they're both made up by historical fencing nerds. :v: If the internet's to be believed, Hutton's Cold Steel is a hodge-podge of Italian sabre of the time mixed with older British backsword, French foil and 16th century Bolognese of all things. Far as I can tell, Hutton never used a sword in anger and probably didn't even know anyone who did.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dunno if this is the full book or just an earlier version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdm7k9q18ldyeoh/Polish%20Saber%20HEMA%20v2.pdf

Looks like he had extremely limited sources and uses lots of different styles to piece it together.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DandyLion posted:

Zing. Wasn't Polish Saber a bit after swords had started to fall out of use on the battlefield? I had thought it suffered from the same limitations like Hutton Saber wherein soldiers (not having to really live/die by their swords anymore) lost some of the most efficacious elements in favor of what was easy to teach/learn.

The poles used the Szabla from the 1500's and the same general blade shape was used across Europe in the 1800's.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the Fencing 2: Electric Boogaloo front...

This is a deep, hipstery rabbit hole I find myself in. Yup, that's a Vniti in a French hilt.

:histdowns:

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Future Days posted:

Thank god. Epee rules are pretty much straightforward, so loving up is really hard, both for the ref and the fencer. That's what makes refereeing high level epee tournaments so complicated: you have to be able to deal with that kind of stuff as quick as possible and with the full force of the FIE Rulebook. Just take out the card, tell them to go back on guard, and restart the match. Sounds easy when you don't have to deal with the 2m, 90kg hulks that are most world-class male epeeists!

I went to a fencing tournament in Paris last February. Good grief was watching the finals dull. Good sportsmanship from everyone, but the really good Epeeists and Foilists went on forever. I quickly realised they had spent years and years getting that good and I can see how it's a challenge, but it is not an interesting spectator sport.

On sportsmanship and the like. Everyone was very good humoured. Myself and most people I know have the stereotype of fencing being a very elitist sport and there was nothing like that there. There were a couple of minor issues. I got a pretty nasty looking cut on my left hand when I panicked and blocked a sabre with it. And someone from the Navy team stood too close to a match and got cut just below the eye.

Edit: Fight Camp tickets are on sale, is anyone else going?

Hazzard fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tournament tomorrow. Getting the jitters a bit, but mostly because I've got a ref exam in the afternoon. Gonna ref a pool match and if I don't make a complete hash of it, I get certified to ref local competitions. :ohdear:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I passed! :toot:

Edit: Oh and I also flicked myself in the eye with my body cord.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 9, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://youtu.be/g9m_JT4QnjE

Kunst des fechtens basic glossary video.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

On the diagonal uberhaus, why is he pivoting on the rear foot when cutting from one side, but not the other?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

I passed! :toot:

Edit: Oh and I also flicked myself in the eye with my body cord.

Hey congrats, on both counts, now get out there and get involved in reffing controversy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

On the diagonal uberhaus, why is he pivoting on the rear foot when cutting from one side, but not the other?

Spoke to him, he noticed it too. It's a foot dominance thing, don't worry about it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bessantj posted:

Hey congrats, on both counts, now get out there and get involved in reffing controversy.
Thanks! I'm thinking I'mma start enforcing the rule that says all actions done with a bent arm are preparation. :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

Thanks! I'm thinking I'mma start enforcing the rule that says all actions done with a bent arm are preparation. :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Spoke to him, he noticed it too. It's a foot dominance thing, don't worry about it.

Erh. Not worrying, but if I was a prospective student, I would. Foot dominance should not influence something as basic as that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Erh. Not worrying, but if I was a prospective student, I would. Foot dominance should not influence something as basic as that.

It's really not an issue, and if you're questioning his credentials and ability I assure you both are solid.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you bend your arm, that's a preparation. That means the attack ends. Irrespective of what your opponent is doing.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

It's really not an issue, and if you're questioning his credentials and ability I assure you both are solid.

Don't do longsword or anything, and I'm not sure how much the technique matters, but to my mind if your credentials and ability are 'solid', then your technique should be as well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Don't do longsword or anything, and I'm not sure how much the technique matters, but to my mind if your credentials and ability are 'solid', then your technique should be as well.

You can look at most videos of accomplished martial artists and find very inconsequential things to nitpick about their technique, but hey, I'm sorry this free content showing basic cuts (which are already open to interpretation regarding specifics and fine details) isn't immaculate.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

You can look at most videos of accomplished martial artists and find very inconsequential things to nitpick about their technique, but hey, I'm sorry this free content showing basic cuts (which are already open to interpretation regarding specifics and fine details) isn't immaculate.

Sorry, if you make a demonstration of the basics, then you better get them right. And it doesn't get much more basic than that.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

the most accomplished rapier fighters i know (eg, people who are in the top 5%, if not the top 5 period) have almost perfect technique and very little to nothing to nit pick.

e: which isnt to say that you have to be perfect to teach the fundamentals, which is why i was wondering if it was something that actually mattered or not

your friend a dog fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Sorry, if you make a demonstration of the basics, then you better get them right. And it doesn't get much more basic than that.

I will be sure to get your message to him.