Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Momomo posted:

Yeah, it feels really weird that half the time I think "This card would be way more useful if it wasn't actually in my hand". Feels like being banished is essentially the graveyard, though even then you can move stuff out of it (Which kinda defeats the purpose...). Is there any card that can only be used when its banished?

Several cards have effects based around being banished (I.E. Eclipse Wyvern.) A few D.D. monsters (not D/D (yeah)) have entirely banish-based effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've had two really fun duels with this Superheavy deck, so far, out of like four.

One of them is against a Dragunity deck or w/e. I go first, face down giant rat. He goes onto his turn, gets out a 2900 (?) atk minion in one turn. Pops giant rat. I pay big benki. He goes 'fuk u' and surrenders.

Other one is against a Darkworld deck. They win the flip, go first. Spend a good minute and a half doing all their drawing, discarding, etc. I facedown giant rat. He runs into it with his 2700 + 300 atk minion. I get benki. He's let me discard two flutists. I gently caress up actually, and flip the benki to attack mode the third turn it's been out. He laughs and says 'oops i win' in the chat. Luckily I have a brawler out still, and a benki in hand. Sacrifice the two, play out the second benki. He gets all quiet, goes on with me destroying monsters but not really being able to clear the field. He XYZs a monster with the ability to destroy one face up monster.

Except i have flutists in the graveyard thanks to him. So that XYZ monster is negated and dies. I set a card and then destroy one of his (again). He's still at like 5100 LP despite me basically winning from turn 1. He is dumb and decides to attack into set card. Giant rat number 2, that he had let me draw by playing a dark world dealing - it was the card I drew, so I wouldn't have had it if he hadn't. I summon second big benki, and he surrenders.

Also had a game where a dude summoned THE FIRST DRAGON which can only be killed by normal monsters. Took me 10 turns to topdeck my soul piercer, with three benki's on the field.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HIJK posted:

How do you make combos work when you're dependent on the deck spitting out the right cards? What do you do when your opponent makes you toss out your entire hand (provided it had your combo ready to go inside it?)

This has bugged me for ten years goddammit.
this is why milling and searching exists

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Also had a game where a dude summoned THE FIRST DRAGON which can only be killed by normal monsters. Took me 10 turns to topdeck my soul piercer, with three benki's on the field.

Try running a copy or two of breakthrough skill to avoid ending up in situations like these. It's like 1 out 5 spell and traps that can actually be run in a monster mash deck.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Breakthrough skill is a must in a superheavy deck. As it stands the archetype lacks a few effects and there isnt really a good way to mitigate that.

Aldo I love that most big monsters are level 8. I always have a field day with Tama-C.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Terrible decks are fun to mess around with. I had a match with my friend, we were both using our worst decks. I was using my Chess Archfiends, and he was using his amalgam of terrible cards called the "Unhappy" deck (After "The Unhappy Girl," who was his first card). after messing around in games 1 and 2, and tying overall, in game 3, I agree to hold back so he can summon his boss monster (Superdreadnaught Rail Gun Gustav Max). I kill monsters so he can get Sephylon out, and he summons Gustav... right into my Bottomless Trap Hole I had set three turns before making that deal.

He still won.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm at Episode 115 of Zexal and this show still loving sucks. Why the hell are they just now dropping a backstory for Heartland? Why do all of his buddies suck? Why the gently caress is Vector even considered a threat anymore when more than half of his plans get hosed and he lost to Yuma already? The Barians being humans would be cool if Alito and Girag weren't the only ones anyone cared about and Girag's backstory wasn't such a joke. Why did Abyss have Shark's hair for a beard?

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY loving VOICE FILTERS? Oh my god... I can barely hear the actual voice of the characters half of the time because if anything is a Barian they have such egregious voice filters that make it hard to decipher which part of the voice is the voice and not the echo. I watched an episode of the Japanese version for reference and it's nowhere near as bad. Yuma's English voice is still terrible, this voice was never meant for serious scenes and being cool. Number 96 was cool for a while then he got buff and punked by Astral and just sort of declined from there. This show has such awful villains because they're either Dr. Faker and Vetrix or they're not even threatening anymore because they get beaten so quickly (The Barians). I think the only Barians who haven't been beaten yet are Dumon and Mizar and they both suck.

Oh and Utopia is still the most boring signature monster in the series, why does he win every duel? There are like three duels Yuma's won with not Utopia and I don't even want to count his win with Black Ray Lancer because Utopia was still involved in the victory. ...So that's my Zexal update.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm at Episode 115 of Zexal and this show still loving sucks. Why the hell are they just now dropping a backstory for Heartland? Why do all of his buddies suck? Why the gently caress is Vector even considered a threat anymore when more than half of his plans get hosed and he lost to Yuma already? The Barians being humans would be cool if Alito and Girag weren't the only ones anyone cared about and Girag's backstory wasn't such a joke. Why did Abyss have Shark's hair for a beard?

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY loving VOICE FILTERS? Oh my god... I can barely hear the actual voice of the characters half of the time because if anything is a Barian they have such egregious voice filters that make it hard to decipher which part of the voice is the voice and not the echo. I watched an episode of the Japanese version for reference and it's nowhere near as bad. Yuma's English voice is still terrible, this voice was never meant for serious scenes and being cool. Number 96 was cool for a while then he got buff and punked by Astral and just sort of declined from there. This show has such awful villains because they're either Dr. Faker and Vetrix or they're not even threatening anymore because they get beaten so quickly (The Barians). I think the only Barians who haven't been beaten yet are Dumon and Mizar and they both suck.

Oh and Utopia is still the most boring signature monster in the series, why does he win every duel? There are like three duels Yuma's won with not Utopia and I don't even want to count his win with Black Ray Lancer because Utopia was still involved in the victory. ...So that's my Zexal update.

You're doing a great service. :patriot:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What happened to all the children's card games that Yugi played with his buds after school.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shukaro posted:

What happened to all the children's card games that Yugi played with his buds after school.

Kaiba threatened to jump off the school roof every time he got close to losing and that was that.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
First there is an evil version of the yugioh gx school and now some guy with a card game motorbike arrived, this show is alright.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Lets be real, that Gx school was always some evil poo poo. "Lets build this thing on an active volcano that's built on top of some native egyptian cemetery. Good, now lets have one of the dorms be a literal falling-apart shed with barely cooked food. Oops we are losing children en masse with the nice building, just-just strap a do not enter sign there and let it rot with rats and all sorts of messed up evil and unsanitary stuff. Hmm, this cult of people that are brainwashing our children seem alright, lets give 'em their own building. Oh! Don't forget to hire this messed up military dude that wants to harm kids so they'll play card games harder."

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You can't make a delicious professional children's card game player omelet without breaking some kids.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

You can't make a delicious professional children's card game player omelet without breaking some kids.

Guess you have a point.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can still hear it. It's SCREAMING FOR MERCY

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
I just had the most amazing duel of my life. I went first and set superheavy samurai swordsman and ended my turn, and then my opponent fused five headed dragon on his first turn which was very impressive until he attacked my samurai and had its attack and defense lowered to 0. I won two turns later. :lol:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Susperheavies are amazing and this is exactly like the post I did earlier.

Anywho, I tried that Skull Servant deck and I ha e a few gripes. Discarding/milling in that deck is way inconsistent, you topdeck a Wightprince and you have no easy way of sending it to the grave barring using your normal summon and banking on it getting destroyed or hitting the hand limit.

So a few cards to add:
Basically any card that lets you selectively discard like hand destruction, selectively mill like magical merchant or mill with a useful added effect like Lightsworn Ryko.

Oh and D.D Resurrection.

BirchBeerFloat
Jul 26, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Reasonable complaints about Zexal.

Vector is supposed to still be a threat because Yuma only just barely won against him in Sargasso, he is being powered by Don Thousand, and he has been revelead to have had a lot of influence in past events as a human. The key words there are "supposed to" because none of that stuff actually pans out, the Sargasso duel was heavily rigged in Vector's favor, Don Thousand hasn't done anything yet except make vague threats, and the past doesn't reveal anything particularly game-changing about him or his power.
Heartland's crew exists because the writers realized that they were out of intermediate villains to throw at Yuma/Shark/Kite. They suck because 1) They don't do anything to prove their strength save that one guy beating random duelists (which doesn't count) 2) Their decks seem to be built with the idea of using unconventional threats, except it's mishandled so all of their duels are boring 3) Even in cases where the duels MIGHT have been interesting (Yuma's hyper-offense countered by solid defense, Jellyfish-guy's entire deck against Shark) it's ruined by the fact that they shoot themselves in the foot by making every duel a 2-on-1 with the Vetrix family (while trying to insist that the main characters are somehow handicapped by this).
Girag's backstory was consistent with the rest of his character, in that it was entirely inconsistent. I still have no idea what they were trying to do with Girag, he ping-ponged between competent and comic relief, honorable and cowardly, likable and a complete jerk, oftentimes in the same episode.
96's problem is that they were trying to do a Yami Bakura thing of having him do stuff in every arc but not overshadow the main villains. This doesn't work because the main villains are all terrible so he ends up overshadowing them anyways. Furthermore he over-commits, so his defeats end up feeling definitive as opposed to Bakura's which were always "well it would have been nice if I won here but there's always tomorrow". It doesn't help that his plans are stupid as hell.
Mizar is bad because he's intended as a rival to a character who's only lost once to mind games (including against the main character of the show), and yet is defined by his staunch refusal to fight on anything other than equal terms. He hasn't done anything to indicate he has anywhere near the strength of Kite, since his duels keep getting interrupted long before his opponents are in any real danger.
Dumon is worse, his character is boring, his archetype is boring, and I seriously think I would be hard-pressed to write more than three sentences about him without just summarizing his backstory. Sargasso was the perfect opportunity to establish both him and Mizar as credible threats, but it just didn't happen.
Utopia itself isn't the problem, it's the very limited number of combos that Yuma uses with him. Every victory is either Utopia->Negate Own Attack->Use to double own attack power->Attack or Utopia Ray->Lower Opponent's monster attack to 0->Attack. Of course, this is probably a result of the show insisting that Utopia be used for every finishing blow, if Yuma used Utopia to scout and then targeted weaknesses with his other Numbers/Djinns this problem wouldn't exist.
OK, Zexal rant over.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Girag ate a raccoon, therefore he is the best Barian behind Vector.

Yeah, Dumon had 0 things going for him. In the japanese version he screamed BOOKS! at one point and that's the highlight of his character.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Anywho, I tried that Skull Servant deck and I have a few gripes. Discarding/milling in that deck is way inconsistent, you topdeck a Wightprince and you have no easy way of sending it to the grave barring using your normal summon and banking on it getting destroyed or hitting the hand limit.

For this, add 2 or 3 Unizombie, which allows not only for the discards, but gives access to rank 3 and 4 plays, and synchro options (Black rose, Goyo, and Beelze say Hi).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

For this, add 2 or 3 Unizombie, which allows not only for the discards, but gives access to rank 3 and 4 plays, and synchro options (Black rose, Goyo, and Beelze say Hi).

My god that card is perfect.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, gently caress Shark.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My god that card is perfect.
it wasn't printed when i made the deck so don't look at me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh boy, I do love it when cool characters are turned into generic villains because the plot demands they have more relevancy to the overarching plot than necessary. I mean, it's not like Shark wasn't becoming worse once Rio joined the story anyways because she is just a prop for him, but once you strip away all of his personality so he can become some lovely royal character it's pretty hard to keep caring about him. Especially whenever he has to lead this group of chucklefucks that no one cares about and I'm expected to think this is all a reasonable transformation of the character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just keep watching. Shark is very far from a generic villain.

Or the dub changed everything and he became a generic villain, but at least in the original he was quite a bit more nuanced than that. He basically had all that character depth Yuma lacks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was interested in Railway monsters, so in a moment of weakness I checked out the episode of Zexal where the girl that plays them appears (a girl using a non-girly archetype! If this wasn't Zexal I could almost be excited)

Oh god Yuma's voice
Oh god that girl's voice
Oh god almighty the terrible, terrible "if I win we get married" plot

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I was interested in Railway monsters, so in a moment of weakness I checked out the episode of Zexal where the girl that plays them appears (a girl using a non-girly archetype! If this wasn't Zexal I could almost be excited)

Oh god Yuma's voice
Oh god that girl's voice
Oh god almighty the terrible, terrible "if I win we get married" plot

Just to drive you into the pit of despair, Anna is probably the best girl in Zexal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:IT'S HAPPENING - DRAGON RULERS BANNED IN THE TCG:siren:

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/

Bestiari is finally back to unlimited, gladiator beast are an archetype again. :dance:

Uh... Why was this card limited?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Symbol_of_Heritage

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xoidanor posted:

:siren:IT'S HAPPENING - DRAGON RULERS BANNED IN THE TCG:siren:

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/
I thought this day would never come. It's...it's beautiful. :swoon:

It enables a large handful of OTKs and FTKs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh wow, Goyo Guardian fell hard

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:rip: Dragons. :(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The TCG list is very good and I like it a lot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VJeff posted:

:rip: Dragons. :(

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Glad we're not going to have to deal with that Dark Matter nonsense when it hits the TCG.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Qliphort's will still be bastards but limiting Saqlifice to 1 and Qliphort Scout to 2 makes them infinitely more manageable.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Glad we're not going to have to deal with that Dark Matter nonsense when it hits the TCG.

I'll show you! I'll make a NEW dragon deck! With hookers! And blackjack! :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

VJeff posted:

I'll show you! I'll make a NEW dragon deck! With hookers! And blackjack! :argh:

It's this card game, I don't doubt for a second that there's cards for blackjack and hookers. I understood the joke, I just felt the need to point this out

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

Blackjack

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_7%3A_Lucky_Straight

quote:

Hookers

I guess http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Nurse_Reficule_the_Fallen_One ...?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't think you'd have to look very hard to find monsters that look like skimpily dressed women.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Limited Tour Guide is going to sting some decks pretty hard.

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think you'd have to look very hard to find monsters that look like skimpily dressed women.

You'd probably more hard-pressed to find some that are dressed sensibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lady ninja yae's outfit is okay, but i have no idea what the gently caress pose she's making