Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

I must say I'm genuinely excited to see what the new Franchise mode holds. I can definitely see it going one of two ways: Either A) An overhauled mode with common sense upgrades (the ability to redo deals and a player mode where you don't call the plays for yourself) and new features, or B) a new front end with a new UI and payhooks to squeeze more money out of us, a la the weird coin system 2k uses. Or I guess all of these things could happen. Or none of them.

Cant you still earn those coins by playing the game? I really don't mind that method at all since most of the stuff you pay for shouldn't be game breaking.

I'm just hoping we get a fix for player fatigue, substitutions, and injuries. For me personally, that's something that really hurts franchise since my best players never have to come off the field and I never really need to build depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

AfterFather posted:

Cant you still earn those coins by playing the game? I really don't mind that method at all since most of the stuff you pay for shouldn't be game breaking.

I'm just hoping we get a fix for player fatigue, substitutions, and injuries. For me personally, that's something that really hurts franchise since my best players never have to come off the field and I never really need to build depth.

Yes, in pretty much the same way you "can" earn premium currency in freemium games. You can grind for a while for modest gains, or you can break the game open right now for 10 dollars. Except that then you're tying digital currency into a single game file, so congratulations because now when you get bored with that file and want to start something new all that money is gone.

Also the thing that always ruins my games is that in the 4-5 years into the franchise every mega deal that was signed IRL hits its final year and the CPU either has to let their cap situation fall into the shitter or release the most important player on their team because it's impossible to rework a contract until it's over. Also a lot of teams seem to not value draft picks at all because a few teams routinely don't pick until the third round. Also there are a handful of positions that never really seem to get any good prospects (it seems like DEs have this happen a lot to me) and some that have a dearth (there's a Gronk in every class, more or less). Also the game seems to like placing players with similar stories to real life NFL players so every few years a generational QB or WR will come out in the 6th round (Brady, Brown) or a big 4th round zone corner will come out and poo poo on everyone (Richard Sherman). I'm not sure if this is confirmation bias but it feels like at the very least the hit rate on 6th round QBs is absurd.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2016

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
The current franchise experience is great but the things it really needs are:

1. Contract renogotiations at any time.
2. More consistency in draft classes. There are always positions that suck (HB, SS, and DE are always mediocre.)
3. The funds system as an owner hasn't been able to find a happy medium since it was launched. If you want to play a smaller market team you are totally hosed.
4. Player progression needs an overhaul. XP was way too sparse at the beginning of this year, and the patch to adjust sliders felt like too much. Certain positions were also very difficult to develop due to lack of drills since giving XP to any certain position was taken out.
5. Retirement ages need to be more realistic. Guys like Eli retiring at 34 makes no sense.

Lastly, for the last bit, dump Phil Simms for the love of god.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

The current franchise experience is great but the things it really needs are:

1. Contract renogotiations at any time.
2. More consistency in draft classes. There are always positions that suck (HB, SS, and DE are always mediocre.)
3. The funds system as an owner hasn't been able to find a happy medium since it was launched. If you want to play a smaller market team you are totally hosed.
4. Player progression needs an overhaul. XP was way too sparse at the beginning of this year, and the patch to adjust sliders felt like too much. Certain positions were also very difficult to develop due to lack of drills since giving XP to any certain position was taken out.
5. Retirement ages need to be more realistic. Guys like Eli retiring at 34 makes no sense.

Lastly, for the last bit, dump Phil Simms for the love of god.

These are all important, but I think first and foremost is game simulation. There's nothing about a simulated game in franchise mode that makes sense, and even if you play every game for your team, all the other games that week are going to be ridiculous. That's the biggest thing that makes franchise feel like you are just along for the ride rather than a part of something interactive that you can affect. Player attributes and scheme should play a more obvious role in generating stats, which should go on to show up when it comes to Pro Bowl and awards voting, and team overall ratings should play a larger role in determining winners.

Really, I hope XP in its current form just dies except for in player franchise. It's annoying having to do a repetitive weekly challenge, and being docked potential XP for your entire team if you don't do it. It presents a balancing issue where there's a major disparity between someone who skips over every training session, vs someone who plays every one of them. If the game is optimized for someone doing every session, then the person not doing them is going to be screwed, so you are forced to do them every week if you want realism. If it's optimized for the guy not doing them, then the guy who does do them is going to have shitloads of XP and his team is going to be stacked to the point that there will likely be 0 challenge. Or in the case of Madden the last two years, if it's optimized for far beyond the amount of XP you will ever get, you're all screwed. I'd love for most of that process to go on behind the scenes like it used to, with limited input from the player.

I think whether or not you are giving the player time on the field should influence growth, but not much more than that should be directly in your hands. A rookies starting overall rating, their development trait, their coaches attributes, and maybe the scheme they are playing in (as in, a QB starting 16 games in a deep passing offense would have the most growth in deep passing attributes) should do the meat and potatoes of making players great. If you wanted to get really crazy, you could have scheme fit play a role in total growth as well. For instance, lets say we have 2 QB's on the board and we're on the clock. They have the same overall rating. One has the superstar development trait and is a west coast QB, the other is a strong arm QB and has the quick trait. We run a deep passing offense. After 3 years, maybe the quick guy went up 5-10 overall because he was a perfect scheme fit and was put in position to succeed, whereas the superstar guy only went up 3-7 because he was a square peg getting shoved into a round hole and it didn't work. Something like that would add a shitload of depth to how you draft, in a really good way, that adds strategy rather than tedium. I think that's kind of the direction things need to go, rather than just trying to refine the "QB Steve threw 3 touchdowns this week, so you get ~100~ XP points you can distribute into his carry rating," repeat 53 times, mechanic.

For player careers, things are a lot better than in coach and owner mode, but there's still a few gamebreaking problems.

1. Fix autosim while your player is on the bench, to make games more competitive and fun
2. Let me declare for the draft again instead of just choosing my team
3. Scrap the whole First/Mid-Round/Undrafted choice nonsense. You shouldn't get a worse development trait as punishment because you wanted to be a guy competing for a starting spot right away. Your development should be locked, and your draft status should be determined by how you perform in events prior to the draft. A lot of games have a mechanic where you get to play a game or two prior to the draft. In the EA NHL series you can play in the Memorial Cup, or even full seasons in the juniors, since the juniors aren't little bitches about licensing like the NCAA. NBA 2k did the same thing with the prospect game, but now they have some mechanic where you actually play out some games in your choice of a handful of licensed colleges. Those games always have the most interesting player career modes, and a lot can be learned from them. Hell, I remember Madden even tried it in I think '07. You went through the combine and that determined your draft stock iirc. That had a bumpy landing since it was like "your player is only as good as how fast you can move the analog sticks up and down during the 40," but it was a step in the right direction imo. I actually did a full RB career in that game that I still remember. More of that.
4. Contract offers from like 8-16 teams in free agency, with the ability to scour a teams roster, scheme, coaching staff, etc, to help you find a perfect fit. Adding that and giving your player some say in drafting after a few years would really make the later years of your career more interesting instead of just more of the same.

Anyways, I'm rambling, but that's my thoughts atm.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 18, 2016

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I exclusively play online francise with a bunch of goons every year which alleviates a few of those issues. I can't draw comparisons to playing solo because i win every game and go 16-0 and win the super bowl every year, so I haven't done solo franchise for a couple years now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

I exclusively play online francise with a bunch of goons every year which alleviates a few of those issues. I can't draw comparisons to playing solo because i win every game and go 16-0 and win the super bowl every year, so I haven't done solo franchise for a couple years now.

Yeah, but that's more of a glorified tournament mode at that point.

Unrelated, but something else I just thought of. I got burnt out on franchise really quickly this year, but am I remembering right in that there was no way to get so much as a hint to a players development trait before the draft? lol. That would be a pretty big omission if player growth actually worked as intended.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 18, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but that's more of a glorified tournament mode at that point.

Unrelated, but something else I just thought of. I got burnt out on franchise really quickly this year, but am I remembering right in that there was no way to get so much as a hint to a players development trait before the draft? lol. That would be a pretty big omission if player growth actually worked as intended.

To my knowledge there isn't and you're right that's dumb. Apparently the news stories about draft prospects give hints about their ability though. I have never bothered reading the news stories so I have no idea what kind of info can be gleaned from them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epi Lepi posted:

To my knowledge there isn't and you're right that's dumb. Apparently the news stories about draft prospects give hints about their ability though. I have never bothered reading the news stories so I have no idea what kind of info can be gleaned from them.

every time i bothered to go dig around to find the prospect mentioned, it was some dude who was projected to go in the 5th, deservedly so.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Am I the only one who doesn't have a huge issue with how player development works? Players are sort of who they are when you draft them and you can't turn every player you draft into a superstar but they can become incrementally better over time. I don't really have a problem with that.

The connected franchise website is garbage, though. Half the links don't work and it does dumb things like not resetting player stats after one season until they've recorded stats in the next season.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2016

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Essays about madden up in here

If you aren't playing franchise with others either offline (pre ps3) or online (post ps3), then I'm so sorry for your sanity

tldr bring back NFL2K

E: realistic franchise improvements that might happen?:

- contract logic/interaction (let me smooth my drat cap) LOL yeah right
- proper scheduling?
- divisional realignment?
- less obtuse menus ( HA)
- xp isn't going anywhere gently caress *insert lovely training camp minigame*

Pipedream poo poo lol:

- everything above
- owners meetings
- chemistry
- muh scheme
- revenue mattering other than being smug
- individual reciever assignments
- injuries happening to anyone besides skill position players
- draft pick ownership being reflected realistically (gently caress the redskins mode)
- compensatory draft picks

Tldr bring back NFL2K

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 18, 2016

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I would be happy not playing the same 4 teams every preseason.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Can we just have a coach mode that doesn't have you controlling everything always? Of course you're going to beat the poo poo out of the computer if you're controlling the players, that just makes actually winning trivial. I want to feel like I've been successful if I make the super bowl. Right now it feels like the draft is the most important event of the year and that just rewards you for taking physical freaks. What do intangibles like awareness and BC vision even matter if that's all in my hands anyway?Between controlling every player and the goals system for juicing stats, it feels like the quality of most players boils down to how fast and strong they are. Also QB Throw Power. I guess to me football is coolest when you don't control everything but just try to put together the best team and plan you can and hope everything clicks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2016/madden-17-gameplay-run-fits-gap-assignments

This sound awesome. Too bad ways to brutally exploit the AI will be found in a week.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zimbomonkey posted:

Can we just have a coach mode that doesn't have you controlling everything always? Of course you're going to beat the poo poo out of the computer if you're controlling the players, that just makes actually winning trivial. I want to feel like I've been successful if I make the super bowl. Right now it feels like the draft is the most important event of the year and that just rewards you for taking physical freaks. What do intangibles like awareness and BC vision even matter if that's all in my hands anyway?Between controlling every player and the goals system for juicing stats, it feels like the quality of most players boils down to how fast and strong they are. Also QB Throw Power. I guess to me football is coolest when you don't control everything but just try to put together the best team and plan you can and hope everything clicks.

This is why I miss being a GM. Being a coach is too hands on, and being an owner is just dumb. Not sure why they scrapped all of that GM stuff. In 2011, you could hire your coach. I miss that. Now you can only do that in owner mode, but you still have all the same hands on monotony you had in coach mode, and now you also have to juggle the pricing of hot dogs so you can resign players.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

davecrazy posted:

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2016/madden-17-gameplay-run-fits-gap-assignments

This sound awesome. Too bad ways to brutally exploit the AI will be found in a week.

:eyepop:

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

davecrazy posted:

quote:

‘Base’ defenses, such as 3-4, 4-3 & 46 align to run strength
Sub coverage defenses, such as Dime, Nickel & Quarter align with Sub rules
Sub Blitz defenses align to the pass strength

quote:

Force

The Force Defender is something Madden fans have been wanting for a long time and Madden 17 delivers. The Force player is essentially the outside contain defender to the playside – his job is to ‘force’ the run back to the inside where his teammates are to make the tackle. He tries to play his gap in a way that ensures he doesn’t get beat to the outside and this is reflected by new Force specific blocking animations. So when you want to stop the outside run in M17, call a play with a Force player. Again, just like the defensive gaps, the playcall matters. Not every defense has a force a player, so you’ll want to make sure you are familiar with the plays that have the force player in an advantageous positions to force the run. You can see the Force player by toggling the run-fit play-art – he will be denoted by an ‘F’ icon above his head

poo poo is looking good.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Like, being able to destroy a quarters front with an I-form or Single back aces sounds really really good, but I have zero faith in EA being able to code well enough that the guys who this for a living wont find game breaking exploits.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

davecrazy posted:

Like, being able to destroy a quarters front with an I-form or Single back aces sounds really really good, but I have zero faith in EA being able to code well enough that the guys who this for a living wont find game breaking exploits.

I dont think they can get rid of every exploit and I really have no idea of what they can do to fix the problem. There are always going to be guys who look for ways to exploit the game and the only thing we can do is continue to avoid them.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Silly david, exploits don't matter in SASFL. What are you gonna do? Play a bunch of pubbies over and over? :agesilaus:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'll come back. Dubs needs to make a 17 thread.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

I'll come back. Dubs needs to make a 17 thread.

I'll cook one up this weekend now that information is starting to trickle out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My first thought there is no way I can buy a game with a loving Patriot on the cover. Then I thought Eli has already owned them twice so I guess I can own them once.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just have one request.

For the love of GOD,

add a Restart option for Solo Challenges. kplzthx

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I realize it's mostly my fault for living in bumblefuck nowhere but please don't tie franchise fixes to online only

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

89 posted:

I just have one request.

For the love of GOD,

add a Restart option for Solo Challenges. kplzthx

This is from a long long while ago but seems to be an implied improvement (click link).

real_scud posted:

We do, and I can't give exact details but I'll just say you've been heard and you'll be happy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
After spending the past 3 hours trying to beat the Broncos in this week's MUT challenge, I ended up deleting the game.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

89 posted:

After spending the past 3 hours trying to beat the Broncos in this week's MUT challenge, I ended up deleting the game.

You can beat almost any solo running inside zones, and then cheesing punt block man on D

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Dubious posted:

You can beat almost any solo running inside zones

What is the trick to this? When I try to run against the gronks I haven't been able to get 10 yards in 4 downs, let alone consistently enough to score 10+ points in 2 quarters.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I'm trying to learn defense by playing a created Free Safety, it's going okay. First game was against the Packers and I got a pick and a sack. I'm having a little trouble getting tackles and defended passes though, plays just never seem to end up near me. Runs usually get stuffed by the DL or LBs, and passes seem to always go to the other side of the field.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

89 posted:

Lmao

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys

lmao

http://www.muthead.com/16/players/29025-tom-brady

88 speed, 93 ACC, 103 THP

that's a tom brady

Dubious fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 19, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
88 Speed, 103 Throw Power, 0 Integrity. Tom Brady.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Playing a MUT online game, I go for an onside kick, and some funky poo poo happens.

The players line up for an onside kick but I've got no kick meter. Kicker runs right through the ball and a further 5 yards before kicking at nothing. All my players turn around and start running toward their own endzone, while the kick goes down the field and out of bounds inside the opponents 5 yard line. They take over possession from my 12.

I saved a clip of it and i've watched it a couple of times, and I still don't get it. loving Madden.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rahzmataz posted:

Playing a MUT online game, I go for an onside kick, and some funky poo poo happens.

The players line up for an onside kick but I've got no kick meter. Kicker runs right through the ball and a further 5 yards before kicking at nothing. All my players turn around and start running toward their own endzone, while the kick goes down the field and out of bounds inside the opponents 5 yard line. They take over possession from my 12.

I saved a clip of it and i've watched it a couple of times, and I still don't get it. loving Madden.
That's a pretty weird one, can you upload a clip to youtube of it?

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

real_scud posted:

That's a pretty weird one, can you upload a clip to youtube of it?

Done and done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAimmHbmS5g

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Yep that's pretty fuckin weird, I'll have some QA guys look at it tomorrow to see if they've seen it happen before.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Top 5 play of the year easy

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Honestly, the only thing that could have made it more perfect is if I was using the Browns uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That Bigger than Football final solo can go right off and gently caress itself.

I beat it on my 2nd try, because on my first try, I scored twice and had the lead, only for Drew Brees to heave up an 80 yard hail mary on 4th and long and 7'6" Vincent Jackson loving came down with it with 0:00 on the clock :kratos:

• Locked thread