Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Made a Steam group here. Join it, hang out with people and maybe organize groups while you work on your Russian power levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Catacombs are rough as a Paladin. I didn't have the DPS to pop both eggs in time when the last boss started spawning 2 at a time on opposite sides of the room.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
The trick is to save your impulse charge and your 4 skill (the ranged attack) to take out one egg instantly, then charge the other.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Liberatore posted:

This argument is weird to me. You think other classes do good damage without the proper talents? He's using three maxed classes. You think those symbols in the ascension atlas benefit Necromancer more than others? He's using the same stats and the same symbols for all three classes. The only advantage Necro has there is that it's obviously his main, and as a result (likely from amulets) is 2k prestige above the Kinetic and 1k above the Berserker.

HyC posted the video because yesterday someone who mains Necro said the class does poo poo damage. I disagreed and used the video as my only argument, as it's all I need.

Did you stop to think that possibly a youtube video of a russian player at 85k prestige with 5 class symbols isn't actually significant to the conversation?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Did you stop to think that possibly a youtube video of a russian player at 85k prestige with 5 class symbols isn't actually significant to the conversation?

Not at all. Again, he's using those symbols, his stats, everything, for all three classes. Some classes scale better than others (i.e. Archer), that is true, but Necromancer isn't one of them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Liberatore posted:

Not at all. Again, he's using those symbols, his stats, everything, for all three classes. Some classes scale better than others (i.e. Archer), that is true, but Necromancer isn't one of them.

Godspeed, then. If you really wanna win an internet fight then go ahead.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I can see how being able to keep up with other classes six months or so down the line isn't really relevant for many people. gently caress, I can see people being turned off by having to play for at least a week to get new classes, more if they don't want Slayer or Archer. Having nothing unlocked and caps on top of that really sucks and early progression should absolutely be faster.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
Could I get an invite to the pantheon? In game name is Leonan Elrorn.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Guild is full at the moment.

Morglon posted:

I can see how being able to keep up with other classes six months or so down the line isn't really relevant for many people. gently caress, I can see people being turned off by having to play for at least a week to get new classes, more if they don't want Slayer or Archer. Having nothing unlocked and caps on top of that really sucks and early progression should absolutely be faster.

More like two months. Game hasn't been out in RU for very long.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What's the verdict on the alchemist?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but the average person isn't gonna get there in that time frame. I doubt I could do it without seriously burning out. Obviously hitting spark caps is the easy part but to get that far that fast you probably have to seriously minmax your credit farming via holy texts and not picking up regular loot and do insane amounts of order poo poo. I made 4k this week and that required me to dump some serious founder argents on texts and that will not happen again next week.

Unrelated but looking out the window in the divine observatory makes me want to see more of this amazing looking world.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 27, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

BadLlama posted:

What's the verdict on the alchemist?

Word on the street is they do so-so damage on their own but can do real good group related buffs and effects. Here's the write up of their powers from the link in the OP:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729277&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post448034666

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Morglon posted:

Yeah but the average person isn't gonna get there in that time frame. I doubt I could do it without seriously burning out. Obviously hitting spark caps is the easy part but to get that far that fast you probably have to seriously minmax your credit farming via holy texts and not picking up regular loot and do insane amounts of order poo poo. I made 4k this week and that required me to dump some serious founder argents on texts and that will not happen again next week.

True. Most RU players who have been playing casually since the first or second week are around 50-70k prestige atm. The weekly spark caps ramp up pretty quickly.

But my point was that no class needs 85k prestige or 5 class symbols (most of which, in this case, don't do much for your damage) to be good. At worst you need to have that class maxed, and stats optimized for your build; which for Necromancer you will have accomplished by the time you hit 12-15k prestige, if that's the first class you unlocked.

Hell, I probably wouldn't be claiming Slayer is so good if my stats and (current) symbols weren't optimized for it. Then again, it's the only class that's getting nerfed in the upcoming patch, so what do I know.

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011
being unable to chat in pantheon chat seems to be tied to being spammed in region chat so if you are trying to converse it might help to start a solo dungeon or pop in the hall of greatness, results may vary

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I took a risk and went two nodes off the track of Witch to pick up the Bleed-on-Crit symbol -- and wow, it makes a huge difference to Necromancer DPS at least (at 10k prestige). I've got so many sources of outgoing damage, all with their own chances to crit, that the bleed DOT has a ~75% uptime with only 28% crit. At 10k prestige I've got 1000 Luck, so it's basically a free 333 DPS.

I imagine the symbol is great for everyone who's stacking Luck, but it's close to Necromancer and only 2 nodes off of the way to Witch, so it's especially accessible for those classes. Definitely worth grabbing if you're in the neighborhood.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

boho posted:

I took a risk and went two nodes off the track of Witch to pick up the Bleed-on-Crit symbol -- and wow, it makes a huge difference to Necromancer DPS at least (at 10k prestige). I've got so many sources of outgoing damage, all with their own chances to crit, that the bleed DOT has a ~75% uptime with only 28% crit. At 10k prestige I've got 1000 Luck, so it's basically a free 333 DPS.

I imagine the symbol is great for everyone who's stacking Luck, but it's close to Necromancer and only 2 nodes off of the way to Witch, so it's especially accessible for those classes. Definitely worth grabbing if you're in the neighborhood.

Those DoTs are awesome. Doesn't help every class that much early game, but at 30k+ prestige everyone is going to have 40%+ crit chance, or 50% temper, or 23% crushing blow, or 40% discharge activation.

With the upcoming patch, they're doubling the damage of the Spirit DoT (so 200% of Spirit on every impulse discharge), adding a 140% STR DoT for Crushing Blow and a 100% Valor DoT for Temper.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm already waning on the game (fortunately I haven't joined the guild so I'm not eating up space). Aside from all the minor complaints I think the #1 issue has been playing or watching others play the classes I want to play. Well, classes that seem more interesting because it's a bit early to see Monks or Witches around.

Anyways, I can't stand the 5-mans because it's even more random than usual to get a collection of people capable of doing the job unless you start with a premade group. I don't know if part of the problem is just too many people have never tanked and thus don't even know the basics (the sheer number of times I've wiped in MSM to a group that fights in the middle of the patrol path past the first door is staggering), or if people just don't get that tanking/healing isn't quite the same game here. The lack of any sort of method to identify targets doesn't help either (short of chat, which is always so effective). I do enjoy the small 3 man missions, but I end up praying for a Berserker or a Knight (vice a Paladin), or a well played Kinetic just because those make the difference between a 15-20 minute run and a 10-15 minute run. It might be a different story if I'd focused purely on a Cyromancer, but I spent a lot of time bouncing between Lightbinder and Paladin and while the Lightbinder is reasonably effective neither of those make for a good choice in reducing the grind.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

I've had literally none of these issues. Doing MSM for the first time was rough; I was the tank at 3.2k prestige, didn't know what I was doing. We wiped several times but I realized we should be focusing targets and stuff and told my party to do so. They did and the rest of the instance went pretty smoothly.

I did MSM a few more times as a tank, no real issues, but then stopped tanking altogether once I had Slayer unlocked (week one). Every group dungeon I've ran since then (and I've ran a lot of them) went fine. Most were with goons but I find PUGs on occasion. Did a PUG Daren Facility last night where the tank was having connection issues but it still went smoothly because I kept reviving the tank and the Lightbinder kept us alive in the meantime; Nobody said a word until the Lightbinder noticed the tank not attacking, but everyone knew what to do.

Only real problems I've had with 5-mans were when running them without a support, but we always finished them eventually.

I don't queue for adventures. Soloing is faster, even as a Paladin. Just mob up and AoE everything down to make up for the lost time on bosses. Or play with a friend.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'm pretty sure MSM being available early is for the sake of trolling people :v:.

I don't believe theres much reason to go there aside from it having a multiplier or a storyline part(yet as of 4.6k prestiege). And the drops there are worse than the easier run 3 mans. Oh christ that gate with the krakens/dual naiad packs is the true boss of MSM, I've seen groups wipe to those constanty but generally one-shoting the actual bosses.

I was talking about this earlier in chat, but the health bar aren't really "hard" but much more faded/blended and just get harder to make out if you're playing some ranged. Pain in the rear end when you're trying to pick off lower targets.
Well heres the wow healthbars that go over the mobs head, they're pretty distinct and just stand out more.

Not sure how I'm feeling about this game so far, its not bad, theres probably some redeeming qualities in it. The combat did take awhile to pick up before they started throwing mechanics at you, and feels just a step more actiony than something like tera. Gonna keep trucking up and see how things are when theres more 5 mans and classes messing around I spose.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Uh oh, if new goons might look at my :cry:omancer post and take it as actual advice, then I had better polish it up a bit.

I tested snowball and stasis (found them bad) and crystal shield (found it quite good) and added some details, as well as a blurb about the whiteout aoe indicator bug because it took me a while to figure out what the heck that was. Also formatted a bit more? idk

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Bouncing around with 1/2 filled atlases and a random assortment of weapons and amulets will make you very ineffective compared to focusing on just one. While you won't be clearing as fast as a cryomance, lightbinders and Paladins can still have decent clear speeds. As for finding a group for the 5 mans just get on mumble even if you're not apart of the guild. Theres usually at least one other person who will run it with you.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Clairetic posted:

Uh oh, if new goons might look at my :cry:omancer post and take it as actual advice, I had better polish it up a bit.

I tested snowball and stasis (found them bad) and crystal shield (found it quite good) and added some details, as well as a blurb about the whiteout aoe indicator because it took me a while to figure out what the heck that was. Also formatted a bit more? idk

Those abilities are really good for pvp and that's about it. Also snowball looks hilarious.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I would really like a "call target" button, or some sort of target marking functionality.

That alone would go a long way towards reducing confusion in five-mans.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Hy_C posted:

Those abilities are really good for pvp and that's about it. Also snowball looks hilarious.

It does! I made mention of that. Stasis on the other hand, I'm not sure if that would be good even in PvP since it's pretty easy to interrupt and makes you vulnerable. Maybe though. I'll add a thing about that.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 27, 2015

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011
dumb is filtered in the unbypassable chat filter but you can flip people off with an emote

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think I'm having fun playing this but I'm not sure. It's like having the memory of fun or something. I've only played for a couple days, but the class grind seems endless. I think I have around 1k prestige, and there's like a billion little bubbles to achieve.

The combat is decent, but sort of repetitive. That may just be the state of things with a MMO.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

I think I'm having fun playing this but I'm not sure. It's like having the memory of fun or something. I've only played for a couple days, but the class grind seems endless. I think I have around 1k prestige, and there's like a billion little bubbles to achieve.

The combat is decent, but sort of repetitive. That may just be the state of things with a MMO.

Combat gets more interesting as you get further. Doing five mans at a high difficulty can require practically raid-level play in some cases, so when the game suddenly gets challenging and wants you to lern2play after breezing through the early levels it can feel like a bit of a brick wall, but once you get it, it feels really rewarding.

Doing Daren Facility or whatever that 5man with the plant dudes with an underleveled party on impossible difficulty was one of the hardest things I've done on a MMO - a single trash mob could wipe the whole fiveman group so we pretty much had to beat the whole instance without taking any avoidable damage, ever, and even then the unavoidable damage would kill us if I didn't time invincibility and shields right. and then the end boss was a gauntlet of monsters we had trouble with individually followed by a boss without a break to heal in between and with no heal orbs 'till the boss.

The things i do for those stupid order rings. Still, once we got that last boss down it was amazing.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Clairetic posted:

I tested snowball and stasis (found them bad) and crystal shield (found it quite good) and added some details, as well as a blurb about the whiteout aoe indicator bug because it took me a while to figure out what the heck that was. Also formatted a bit more? idk

Snowball is amazing, but takes extra effort to set up. It grabs anyone near it and rolls directly away from you before exploding and stunning everything. It is amazing for kiting and handling large groups or grabbing up adds/ de aggroed mobs and funneling them towards the tank. It is 100% useless as a single target anti boss tool but the other ability is poo poo at that too.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Been enjoying this game during the (rainy) weekend, and I must say I quite like the idea of not having any healers in this game. This (should) make everyone, but in particular DPS much more self aware and less reliant on someone else getting them out of problems.

Starting as a paladin I was quite annoyed that it was me chasing the mobs instead of the other way around, but once I got the 400% threat talent this fixed this mostly.

What I was wondering though, are there any particularly good class combinations that work exceptionally well together? I have read quite some class guides but besides from the Lightbinder/Paladin shield interactions I have not yet seen much other expert groupplay tips.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Anal Papist posted:

Snowball is amazing, but takes extra effort to set up. It grabs anyone near it and rolls directly away from you before exploding and stunning everything. It is amazing for kiting and handling large groups or grabbing up adds/ de aggroed mobs and funneling them towards the tank. It is 100% useless as a single target anti boss tool but the other ability is poo poo at that too.

Oh, that's a good idea, I hadn't tried it in group content. It seems pretty difficult to get more than 1 or 2 adds in it though cause it's not very wide? Maybe that's all you need sometimes though.

Evernoob posted:

What I was wondering though, are there any particularly good class combinations that work exceptionally well together? I have read quite some class guides but besides from the Lightbinder/Paladin shield interactions I have not yet seen much other expert groupplay tips.
Mostly classes are pretty self-reliant from the looks of things, so it's less about individual class mechanics and more about roles.

One exception would be kinetic who buffs the damage of every Kinetic in the party, but I think the cooldown counts for both of them? In any case their other damage buff works for everyone so it's not a big deal.

Alchemists in particular give a passive damage buff, so pair them with a reasonably survivable damage class and you'll tear through content rated much higher than you (alternatively, on bosses with reasonably large reflectable attacks, the alchemist can tank).

As far as roles in a duo go:

Tank+Damage also makes it easier on the Damage since they have to spend fewer resources staying alive and can turret more effectively.
I don't know if I'd recommend a support+tank like lightbinder+paladin for duoing, mostly because they're already great at surviving with just their own skills and damage will help them clear faster. Alch+Necromancer had the same issue, although I haven't got the bleed talent for Necro yet so when that becomes a proper DPS class for me that may change.
I have also done a bit with two damage characters but because you're fighting stronger enemies with the same number of healing orbs to go around, I think it's probably less effective than damage + support/tank.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Source: https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/55b572083798c9ac4868865a

This strange, though. We have pretty much all the major patches other than the ether core one, at least in terms of balance, UI and general game mechanics. God Form was added like several content patches ago in the RU version.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Wait, this is already the improved UI meaning it was even worse at some point? That's pretty bad.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Clairetic posted:

Oh, that's a good idea, I hadn't tried it in group content. It seems pretty difficult to get more than 1 or 2 adds in it though cause it's not very wide? Maybe that's all you need sometimes though.

Solo its very easy to aggro a group at range then dash backwards with the slowing dash talent which will group all the mobs together. Its very easy to get 5-8 mobs in the ball, which also scoops up mobs from a wider area than just the ball model.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Found this in the Russian forums:

Class sparks needed to finish each class, ignoring the nodes you can get with sparks of insight.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 27, 2015

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

ok, I edited my initial dismissal of Snowball and I'll play with it some more. Not like Icy Comet is particularly core anyway.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Apparently the grey sparks, which are used to unlock the pink nodes, are obtained at a rate of one per week.

Also, the RU version has a friend referral program. You get scaling rewards, but up to a total of 10 days of premium, 150 holy texts and like 1.5k spark replicators if the friend you referred hits 13k prestige. No limits to how many referrals you can give out or how many rewards you can earn.

Edit: The catch-up mechanic was basically envisioned by some random player back in May. They took his suggestions to heart and implemented a system very similar to what he proposed.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 27, 2015

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Man the necro node is easy to get. Originally was going to Alchemist but went the wrong way all the way up to the pink node (use the Atlas path finder people!) then started going the 'right' way and 4 cluster nodes away decided to go necro and within a couple hours I'm just 4 nodes away from unlocking it. Could have gotten it last night but I was bored and there were no red adventures with multipliers

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Do class sparks drop in great quantities in group dungeons? I'm curious because I'm 100 sparks from capping but about 1400 class sparks from capping and I haven't done any group dungeons yet.

Also, anyone know how to get back the region chat if you closed it?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

walruscat posted:

Do class sparks drop in great quantities in group dungeons? I'm curious because I'm 100 sparks from capping but about 1400 class sparks from capping and I haven't done any group dungeons yet.

Also, anyone know how to get back the region chat if you closed it?

There is a few ways to do class spark farms. The punishing unfun way of running port naroi and bum rushing the first boss and quitting out of the dungeon and repeating.

Or you could do any dungeon you find easy to farm with either a high mob density or a lot of bosses and just keep running them. I personally like Okki Island, Kyris and Thetin Rift. Okki Island has four bosses in it if you grab the lizard on the beach. Kyris has three bosses and plenty of trash. Thetin rift is just plain easy to walk though.

Class sparks drop from bosses in high random numbers and non group diamond mobs have a chance for a handful while the diamond group mobs have a chance for one or two. If you don't have any spark replicators then it is not very fun farming for class sparks directly so I would suggest farming up some from the story missions or regions you have cleared/capped out on.

Sparks of evolution also come from the pvp bags and the test zone bags as well as being a great source of just a pile of gear if you are kitting out a new class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks a lot. I think I have a bunch of replicators (though I don't know how to check my current count). I'll try the dungeons you suggested and see how it goes.

• Locked thread