Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

One of the nice things about crawl is that there's so many kinds of ways for a character for a character to feel like they're doing unusually well. Find an early ring of slaying, or a dagger of elec, or pop !mut and get a nice set, or kill Grinder and get a big jump on the XP curve... I find it's actually more common than not for me to find something along those lines by the time I get to d:7 or so. It's a nice reassurance when you lose a good char - the next one will probably be good in some other way!

Yeah, I've been blowing up MiBes in all kinds of amazingly stupid ways this morning. Singing Sword? Sure! Oh gently caress ow goddamn it loudness sucks. Then I found a vampiric demon whip on D4 and said gently caress it to Axes. Trog had other ideas and gave me a +8 elec battleaxe just before Lair. Two rooms later, Erolcha killed me again. Today is apparently learning not to underestimate Erolcha day.

Angry Lobster posted:

Got my first rune ever! The snake lair one, loving poison everywhere, then I died at Shoals 4, what a horrible place for a melee character, gently caress this game.

As someone who is bound and determined to ascend an MiBe before anything else, I feel you. For melee, I wouldn't even try Shoals without clarity (doesn't exist in trunk) or some ranged attack. Ranged attacks for strong melee dudes can come in two major forms, Throwing (you'll need returning somethings or you'll lose all your weapons in deep water) and Evocations (you want a rod. If you find acquirement without any actual spell skills trained, acquiring a staff will always give you a rod.) Either way, you want 10+ skill in one of those to make it effective. Flying is almost as necessary, and rPois really helps with sea snakes and fauns/merfolk. The nice thing about Shoals is that going all-out on krakens never, ever gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Open spaces means bad things for meleers. Especially so when most terrain in Shoals is shallow water so you're missing an automatic 50% of your attacks. Either stay within a square of an island's wall (water normally reach that far) or you hang around some stairs and kite everything upwards. Or discretion being the better part of valour, go elsewhere for a while so you can steamroll the place.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Shoals tricks: Just about everything except for ilsiuw doesn't see invis, but you need to not be immersed in water for invis to work. You can usually make a murder hole in the small rock stands, especially if you aim diagonally through some rock at a stone part. Fire wands will make trails of steam when shot over water which can break line of vision, which can get you out of mesmerize. Cold wands will make freezing clouds for nice damage. Scroll of noise breaks mesmerize or something? Never done that one myself. If you've see the shoals entrance generate you can probably start training throwing. You'll find enough javelins and they are really good.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Got my first rune ever! The snake lair one, loving poison everywhere, then I died at Shoals 4, what a horrible place for a melee character, gently caress this game.

A lobster should be happy in Shoals. Although I guess you are an angry one, so whatever.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Don't be a melee guy with distortion in Shoals, I almost died with a +9 executioner's axe of distortion because I would keep getting enemies to blink away from me before they die and almost everything in Shoals can use some form of ranged attack :(

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The reflection amulet is incredibly useful if you're playing trunk, too.

All the siren bullshit is MR resistible, too. You don't need to worry about clarity if you have a few pips of it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

FireSight posted:

A lobster should be happy in Shoals. Although I guess you are an angry one, so whatever.

I'm an inland lobster, and I won't get back to those loving shoals in a long time, or at least not with a melee character.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

OK, this is the furthest I've ever got - I realise I'm playing on a boring easy mode, but ssh, I'm terrible at games and so this is a big step forward for me. Plus, check out that AC, and those resists!

I also have a +8 eveningstar of freezing (non-gift, and have used all the enchant weapon I have access to. Is the lower slaying worth the lack of Strength penalties? Since I took the picture, I've also bought four more cure mutation potions - will that be enough?

Is there anything in particular I should watch out for?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Always be careful around greater Liches with their crystal spears.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Always be careful around greater Liches with their crystal spears.

Fitting!

Two-shot from 150HP!

rip

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How come cigotuvi's monster isn't vulnerable to silver?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

resistentialism posted:

How come cigotuvi's monster isn't vulnerable to silver?

Its just a renamed tentacled monstrosity, which aren't vulnerable to silver either.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Finally ascended an ant man after many tries. Turns out you probably just want to wear a shield and hit things and probably not think about extended.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/resistentialism/morgue-resistentialism-20151222-213049.txt

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

Finally ascended an ant man after many tries. Turns out you probably just want to wear a shield and hit things and probably not think about extended.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/resistentialism/morgue-resistentialism-20151222-213049.txt

You can totally think about Extended as an ant, but only if you have a god with a hard escape power like Zin, Lugonu, or Chei (unless you really trust yourself). Congrats though!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Floodkiller posted:

You can totally think about Extended as an ant, but only if you have a god with a hard escape power like Zin, Lugonu, or Chei (unless you really trust yourself). Congrats though!

As an example, here's an Ant Man of Xom turned into Zin worshipper: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/bananaken/morgue-bananaken-20140823-083844.txt

Zin's not as crazy as before due to only blocking 50% of hell effects (booooo), but he's still a very good choice for extended. I think you can turn greater mummies into pillars of salt!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Angry Lobster posted:

As someone who really hates shoals, here's my advice - skip most of it. I know it doesn't feel this way because you've never won, but an MiBe doesn't need the experience or potential loot from Shoals. Instead, just carefully look for the first down-stairs you can find and take them. Once you get to Shoals 4, read magic mapping and carefully clear out the potential rune vaults until you get the rune. Then leave the way you came in. I mean, you died at Shoals:4, so this might not have helped you, but still, it's usually a good idea.

As for tips for fighting in Shoals. Most things in shoals don't see invisibility, so quaff those potions/evoke those rings and wands. Also, remember that even when you get in melee range in Shoals, almost everything has reaching, so you can be in melee range and still be getting hit by 24 enemies at once (obviously that would be worst case, but it's for effect). Using wands to dig murder holes is a good idea. Finally, high MR is more beneficial in shoals than in any of the other Lair branches to avoid mesmerization (oh, I guess it matters in Snake too, I forgot Snake existed for a minute).

apple posted:

Zin's not as crazy as before due to only blocking 50% of hell effects (booooo), but he's still a very good choice for extended. I think you can turn greater mummies into pillars of salt!

At 15 HD, you can potentially salt Greater Mummies, but they're right at the edge of what's possible and require perfect piety and 27 invocations. I think that gives you a 10% chance to salt.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The important thing is you can reliably salt hellions.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So basic question. I've got a merfolk IE that I'd like to go the hybrid Skaldlike route (so prefer IE start though). Would Sif be a good god for that sorta thing? I know the thread was discussing Sif being boring, but I think the spell variety could be useful. And miscast protection might be quasi useful.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Fitting!

Two-shot from 150HP!

rip

LoL that sucks

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So basic question. I've got a merfolk IE that I'd like to go the hybrid Skaldlike route (so prefer IE start though). Would Sif be a good god for that sorta thing? I know the thread was discussing Sif being boring, but I think the spell variety could be useful. And miscast protection might be quasi useful.

Not particularly good i'd say. You might get a ton more bang for your buck with Ash or Chei if you want to Hybridize, but then you depend on the floorgod for your spells. Usually i tend to find tons of books scattered around and have a bunch of poo poo i want by the end of Lair but sometimes you just luck out and get screwed.

The thing is.. getting enough piety for Sif to start gifting books takes a while anyway and the other gods at least give some other benefits apart from just a channel that you don't really need as a Skald.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is there a way to get rid of the question;

"That beam is likely to hit you. Continue anyway?" ??

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Internet Kraken posted:

The important thing is you can reliably salt hellions.

Yeah, wasn't meaning to make Zin sound bad. She also reliably salts tormentors and non-greater mummies. Zin's real good in extended, including Tomb. Also hilarious in Orc if you take Zin early.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its amazing how terrible Zin used to be. Recite used to require you to stand perfectly still and do nothing else while you read some big words and hoped they did something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go Cheibriados.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Go Cheibriados.

Think I'm going to try Ash this run. But ya, probably do another Chei run soon. Pretty similar to what I did on my naga.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sif isn't that amazing for hybrids, imho, mainly because of her piety system - you only get Sif piety for training magic skills, and hybrids are going to do much less of that.

There are a ton of good options, but I'd like to put in a word for Ash - a very strong god generally, but especially good for hybrids because of how the skill bonuses for cursed equipment are distributed, in my experience.

e: ha, beaten!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Okawaru is a decent plan B for hybrids who already have access to the spells they need, since Heroism cranks combat skills (and armourskill!) through the roof and Finesse + offensive buffs = extreme violence. Oka gifts can help with finding the right equipment as well.

Oka is probably the most boring god in the entire game though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just going from my last game there crossbow machine gun oka worshiper is still really good. It's amazing two shoting OoF with silver bolts or silver javelins.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think getting free gear is nice. Its like every day is Christmas. You just get a lot of coal as well.

Ash is the most boring god. Almost everything he does is entirely passive and to get the most benefit out of him you have to manage a bunch of cursed gear, which means minimal swapping. He's extremely good but also extremely dull.

VVV I like demigods too actually. I just don't like Ash because the whole curse mechanic annoys me, though its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 23, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Internet Kraken posted:

Ash is the most boring god. Almost everything he does is entirely passive and to get the most benefit out of him you have to manage a bunch of cursed gear, which means minimal swapping. He's extremely good but also extremely dull.

I'm also a fan of demigods, to be clear. I don't think that a god has to be extremely active to make the game interesting while playing with that god - there's plenty of other stuff going on.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ash is actually cool as gently caress though?? You get more tactical information and can see through walls and poo poo like fuckin Professor Xavier. The cursing mechanic forces you to play more cleverly using Ash's abilities to make up for reduced equipment flexibility, much like Xavier makes up for reduced leg function by being a goddamn superpsychic, except you still have your legs so you're pretty much Ultimate Turbo Xavier.

Meanwhile Okawaru's deal is "temporary skill bonus" and "like haste kinda, but only for hitting things" and sometimes he gives you a -5 hat with rF+. He's really powerful but astonishingly dull.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Humans Among Us posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the question;

"That beam is likely to hit you. Continue anyway?" ??

I believe it's allow_self_target = yes . Please post when this inevitably kills you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Internet Kraken posted:

I think getting free gear is nice. Its like every day is Christmas. You just get a lot of coal as well.

VVV I like demigods too actually. I just don't like Ash because the whole curse mechanic annoys me, though its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

I had an Oka worshipper yesterday get an animal skin gift. Not ego, not enchanted, just an animal skin (level 18 GrFi with high armour skill too). I like to think as the game goes on Oka gets kind of senile and he's kind of like getting christmas presents from your grandma after you get the first 3-5 runes or so.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
to quote learndb:

quote:

< valrus> I AM OKAWARU, GOD OF COMBAT AND FIVE DOLLARS FOR THE OSCILLATING FAN IS MY FINAL OFFER

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

0.18Ash kinda got a big buff with the removal of clarity amulets... in the form of rNerf. Ely, Ru and Zin got a similar but smaller boost. (assuming those changes actually stick) Also Ambrosia since now there's no more tedious chore of having to remove an amulet to chug.

FR: potion of Curing gives temporary (~75%?) chance to block negative status, due to supernatural pharmacokinetics. Bonus points if you cite "realism" in the patchnotes. :v:

Could do something similar with Cure Mutation, since it is absurdly rare and currently has little tactical-decision-making relevance.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 23, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

megane posted:

I believe it's allow_self_target = yes . Please post when this inevitably kills you.

Thank

meh doesnt same to work tho, tried a couple of variations

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Trip report: I found Gells early on as a DEEn, and I have to say it is actually really good now. I could do pretty heavy damage to yak packs and the like with a couple casts, and kill bigger enemies stuck in packs. If you have any hex or translocation investment it seems like a really good pickup. Obviously it's situational as hell and it's pretty lousy at actually moving enemies, but as conditional smite-targeted aoe damage it's great.

Arcane marksman is probably still a lousy start though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silentsnack posted:

Could do something similar with Cure Mutation, since it is absurdly rare and currently has little tactical-decision-making relevance.

what's that you say? make cmut a temporary 50% chance to resist mutation instead? ok :buddy:

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Random question, but is there any way to reduce the lag associated with playing webtiles and using a launcher? It makes trying to play any ranged class a nightmare when after 5 minutes of playing it takes a second to fire every arrow or bolt.

I think it has something to do with the ammo animation after firing, but I am not sure. It really makes me sad that I can't actually enjoy online ranged characters due to this.

-edit- nevermind, got it.

Adding this line to the rc:

use_animations -= beam, range, hp, monster_in_sight, pickup, monster, player, branch_entry

allows you to disable certain animations. It's a bit jarring not seeing the ammo fly to the target, but not having the game cry in agony every time it has to animate a bolt bath is nice.

Person Dyslexic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 23, 2015

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Internet Kraken posted:

Casting level nine spells while wielding whatever weapon you want without sacrificing hugely on defense in a three rune game is boring? Ash's skill boost is passive, but effectively it gives you more active abilities than any other god because it lets you cast a bunch of stuff that otherwise would cut too much into your melee or defensive abilities. Imagine Ash as a melee god whose 2 star ability is fireball with no piety cost. Then at 4 stars he gives you bolt of fire and at six stars he gives you orb of destruction. Or for a mid game character you can imagine Ash's "active abilities" to be haste, deflect missiles, silence, agony, death channel, monstrous menagerie and aura of abjuration, all piety free. On a typical light to medium armor demonspawn or gargoyle, for example, you could maybe cast two of those spells by vaults and still be decent in melee. With Ash you can cast all of them before vaults and be fine. I know I'm exaggerating here a little bit, but the sheer number of extra spells and powers available to an Ash character compared to most other gods is staggering. Ash not only gives you the largest number of active powers of any god, he gives you a lot of flexibility in choosing powers to suit your character and even lets you change your powers to adapt to what the game hands you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Casting level nine spells while wielding whatever weapon you want without sacrificing hugely on defense in a three rune game is boring?

I agree, Cheibriados is really fun.

• Locked thread