Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

I've seen people upset she's not old enough.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if they make her slightly younger. Maybe she'll be an actual Captain instead of a Colonel in the USAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think i can deal with this so far...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I admit I thought she was a little young for the character as I had imagined her but the more I think about it the more this has the potential to be a really good choice, assuming it goes through.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What if all this is a red herring and the reason Chris Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during Thor 3 is to get the Carol Danvers haircut and transition into Captain Marvel?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: age, Brie Larson is 26 now and I think the movie is scheduled to come out in 2019. The only time I can recall Carol Danvers's age being given in a comic was in Avengers Annual #10, where I think she was listed as being 29 (on her USAF credentials). :eng101:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think all of those performances are particularly noteworthy either. It's not an indictment on the quality of the actor, anyone can be loving miscast. Either way I'm not making a judgment call right here and now, it's just not something I expected.

Douglas, Hopkins, and Redford were pretty good in their roles. Bridges and Kingsley were really drat good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I think i can deal with this so far...

This looks great and I think she's a brilliant choice, but it's all for nothing if they don't give her the haircut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In vol 2 of the KSD run she had more longish hair, but the iconic is most certainly her current one. I could see them doing some joke about how she keeps changing her hair, only to have her current haircut at the end of the film.

But yea, Carol always has read to me as someone in her early 30s. Though making her younger isn't too much of a problem because they can just ignore her journalism and spy careers and make her just a pilot. Though those added more to her character than just flying.

I'm sure nerds who can only cast from genre shows they love are upset at this rumor, but everyone else is pretty happy. Carol will probably show up in the first renamed Infinity War movie, because she's not going to be in Dr Strange, Guardians 2 or Black Panther. I guess she could show up in Spider-Man, but I doubt it, an Avengers proper film would be the most logical place for her.

Has the Power Gem shown up? I can never keep which is which, other than Vision has the Mind Gem, the Tesseract is the Space Gem and The Aether is the Reality Gem?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Power Gem was in guardians right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO19XY2rqc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine the remaining gems could be in GOTG 2 and / or Thor 3.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Other than some people yelling, not much new stuff shown.

Looking it up, the infinity Gems are

I was just thinking movie wise they could have Carol come in contact with the power gem in some way and gain her powers that way, rather than needing to create an entire story about Kree infiltrators and Yon-Rogg and the psychomagnetron and all that stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In a lot of stuff I've read she has plain long hair out of costume, and somehow it gets all mohawked when she suits up.

Also Marvel military ranks are like Marvel female heights and weights. They're always basically impossible. Nobody under 35 would have her military rank unless they personally saved the world a bunch of times.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I was just thinking movie wise they could have Carol come in contact with the power gem in some way and gain her powers that way, rather than needing to create an entire story about Kree infiltrators and Yon-Rogg and the psychomagnetron and all that stuff.

I was kinda hoping the Eye of Agamotto would be one.

They can keep the Ms. Marvel origin without getting too comic book-y with it. Changing poo poo wholesale doesn't mean it'll be better. See: all three Fantastic Flop movies.

Aphrodite posted:

Also Marvel military ranks are like Marvel female heights and weights. They're always basically impossible. Nobody under 35 would have her military rank unless they personally saved the world a bunch of times.

Maybe it's like Star Trek ranks where Kirk sat in a chair and is now a Captain. Maybe Carol took a stroll through a helicarrier and sat down somewhere important.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

am i crazy or does it look like the regular edition just took out all the minorities lol

there were at least 3 dark-skinned characters in that video that I don't remember from the actual film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, while Carol reads are being a big dork a lot of the time (she better have Chewie and wear a lot of Star Wars t-shirts, especially now) she has never, ever read as someone young, early to mid 30s seems about right. But then I have read Cyclops as being 39 since Morrison's run. Though ages aren't really a thing in the MCU movies, Wanda is constantly called a kid but Elizabeth Olsen is 27, but the character is clearly written to be much younger.

Thing is a central part of her character is her friendships. She has been written like Cap, being someone people trust easily and trust to get them through the impossible times. She needs to have a good supporting cast, and with Spider-Man being in the MCU, having Jessica Drew won't confuse people quite as much, because we have a Spider-Man, why not a Spider-Woman?

Now if they cast Alison Brie and her, then people can get confused.

Heathen posted:

They can keep the Ms. Marvel origin without getting too comic book-y with it. Changing poo poo wholesale doesn't mean it'll be better. See: all three Fantastic Flop movies.

Crazy thing from space vs crazy thing from space, it's not that big of a change.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

In a lot of stuff I've read she has plain long hair out of costume, and somehow it gets all mohawked when she suits up.

Eh, Air Force Rank of Captain is like O-3. Which is easily doable before like 30 much less 35.

Heathen posted:

Maybe it's like Star Trek ranks where Kirk sat in a chair and is now a Captain. Maybe Carol took a stroll through a helicarrier and sat down somewhere important.

But yeah, I imagine, Eye of Aggamoto is the Time gem. And the Soul Gem is going to be what Adam Warlock has in Guardians 2.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 2, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's a Colonel.

Although I guess that promotion happened post-superheroics, so she could be a Major if the movie's her origin.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

She's a Major

Edit: Ok yeah you fixed that(Should probably check after walking away from posts)

Colonel actually, but Major only requires like 10 years of Service and she started at like 18.

Also who cares She's the bestest pilot ever in the world(gently caress you Hal), and went to NASA and fought aliens and poo poo and came back with super powers. It's okay to fudge the years a bit.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 2, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She started as a Major when introduced, so a lot of Wikis and stuff still say that.

She was also an alcoholic which probably didn't help her military record.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rick Famuyiwa is the new director of Flash.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Rick Famuyiwa is the new director of Flash.

Dope.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno about this, Dope is a charming movie but it's got a lot of issues.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is DCEU Flash Barry Allen or Wally West? It's Barry Allen, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The super serious version of my fan script for the Captain Marvel movie has her becoming an alcoholic because of her powers, and being sent to Karla Soften for psychiatric help. Though the idea of Sharon Stone as Moonstone would seem odd with Brie Larsen as Cap M.

It is possible that she was involved with some kind of heroics in Iraq/Afghanistan and was promoted for that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering they didn't even keep Tony's alcoholism I sincerely doubt they'll even touch Carol Danvers'.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Geoff Johns is in charge. What do you think?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Toxxupation posted:

Considering they didn't even keep Tony's alcoholism I sincerely doubt they'll even touch Carol Danvers'.
Wasn't that more because of RDJ not wanting to do that since it was too personal for him

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't that more because of RDJ not wanting to do that since it was too personal for him

Also I don't know how you watch the Iron Man movies and get the feeling Tony's not an alcoholic. Maybe it's not at a crippling level, but IM2 especially gives the impression that he drinks a lot more than he should.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat, Devin Faraci, is saying that the current direction for Flash is that it will be a buddy team movie with Flash and Cyborg.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat, Devin Faraci, is saying that the current direction for Flash is that it will be a buddy team movie with Flash and Cyborg.
The most Geoff Johnsian movie that ever could exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought Cyborg was getting his own film?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Actually looking into it, the source on the Flash/Cyborg buddy movie is actually Deborah Snyder, so that's a bit more reliable than just Faraci.

ImpAtom posted:

I thought Cyborg was getting his own film?

He is, but there were rumors months ago it might involve other Titans or be a full on Titans movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

I've lost literally all interest in a Flash movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dope was really good, so this is good news. Cyborg on the other hand... eh. Can't win 'em all. It's definitely an upgrade over the guy they got rid of that's for sure.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm the weirdo who absolutely hated Dope, so this is not good news to me. The addition of Cyborg makes it even less so. I can't wait to hear him rattle off a list of his favorite rap songs outta nowhere.

Toxxupation posted:

Geoff Johns posted:

Who the gently caress is Wally West?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you like it less than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

X-O posted:

That's not good news at all. Some would say...it's the reverse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redbackground posted:

The most Geoff Johnsian movie that ever could exist.

I'd think that would be an Aquaman/Hal Jordan movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

Did you like it less than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

The guy who wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is still writing the Flash movie.

Worst of both worlds scenario.

I thought Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was kind of fun though. :shrug:

• Locked thread