Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think it’s weird that this kid, who used a racist insult against a specific person gets less punishment than the one who non-specifically used the n-word on her private instagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other week, I was talking to an acquaintance who was planning on opening a new restaurant. She was describing how they had bought out both floors of a 2-story building - the lower floor would be the restaurant proper, and the upper floor would be the staff dormitory.

She was describing how letting the staff live "on-site" would mean that they wouldn't have any "excuses" to skip-out on work. Further, all the staff they recruited were from the provinces, so they wouldn't know anyone here in the city, which would apparently reduce the chances that they would go off and party or otherwise be delinquent, and would provide a strong incentive to be good employees.

She then went on to portray this as her doing her employees a favor, since the amount of rent-and-utility-dues they'd take from their paychecks would be much smaller than if they looked for places on their own, and the dorm was already furnished.

Now, my radicalized self was listening to all this politely, and in the back of my mind I'm unpacking all the ways that this is exploitative, but to her, it just makes good business sense. And she wouldn't even be wrong!

Capitalism doesn't just force people to behave in immorally and unethically (lest they be outcompeted by the more vicious), it also creates its own rationalization for doing so.

Burn it down

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other week, I was talking to an acquaintance who was planning on opening a new restaurant. She was describing how they had bought out both floors of a 2-story building - the lower floor would be the restaurant proper, and the upper floor would be the staff dormitory.

She was describing how letting the staff live "on-site" would mean that they wouldn't have any "excuses" to skip-out on work. Further, all the staff they recruited were from the provinces, so they wouldn't know anyone here in the city, which would apparently reduce the chances that they would go off and party or otherwise be delinquent, and would provide a strong incentive to be good employees.

She then went on to portray this as her doing her employees a favor, since the amount of rent-and-utility-dues they'd take from their paychecks would be much smaller than if they looked for places on their own, and the dorm was already furnished.

Now, my radicalized self was listening to all this politely, and in the back of my mind I'm unpacking all the ways that this is exploitative, but to her, it just makes good business sense. And she wouldn't even be wrong!

Capitalism doesn't just force people to behave in immorally and unethically (lest they be outcompeted by the more vicious), it also creates its own rationalization for doing so.

This sounds pretty reasonable as long as the terms for the employees are made clear up front. I'm sure it's a hellish living experience, but the it's up to the employees whether the salary and savings in rent is worth taking the job or not.

Serf
May 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

This sounds pretty reasonable as long as the terms for the employees are made clear up front. I'm sure it's a hellish living experience, but the it's up to the employees whether the salary and savings in rent is worth taking the job or not.

maybe if we have the chance to not create hell, we should not create hell

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

General Dog posted:

This is some full on libertarian logic here. "No one's forcing you to work! You can just choose to go broke, starve and die!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

This only works if we have universal healthcare and basic income. Where people can truly choose not to work. Otherwise it's just a race to the bottom.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

im shocked to learn company housing is somehow still not illegal despite how horrifying it is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

maybe if we have the chance to not create hell, we should not create hell

And serve in heaven?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

Maybe instead of getting paid money that they spend on food they could be paid in scraps from the restaurant to save on waste

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

Maybe instead of getting paid money that they spend on food they could be paid in scraps from the restaurant to save on waste

goddamn. you're good at capitalism.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[I emerge from the bathroom, wiping my nose and audibly vibrating]: what if... we lock them in the dorm when they're not working so they can't go party and show up hungover?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

[I emerge from the bathroom, wiping my nose and audibly vibrating]: what if... we lock them in the dorm when they're not working so they can't go party and show up hungover?

why would they never not be working? :confused:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

C. Everett Koop posted:

why would they never not be working? :confused:
Not enough customers in the middle of the night to justify the increased wear and tear of employees mucking about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/959818117122789376

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/wheelswordsmith/status/959881566146080768

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
palate cleanser:

https://twitter.com/nandelabra/status/959908141772177409

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m not going to say it’s a joke, but it’s not exactly genuine, either. It seems like the same kind of empty performative think piece that gets churned out for every star wars and marvel movie. I just can’t believe she’s actually upset or interested at all re: a dead bird.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

💯💯

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Feb 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I thought this was about Farrage until I read the story.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K9XWR9/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought this was about Farrage until I read the story.
That line about "maybe he was the pedophile in the last [bird] community he was in" isn't really telling me it's not Farage...

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

My life summarized in a book title

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/960417841676726272

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

This is a drat treasure

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/960752672101076992

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

https://twitter.com/NateHousley/status/960764505742393344

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/961049603360591872

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I'd go along with this if it somehow leads to Elon Musk being persecuted and burned at the stake

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MizPiz posted:

I'd go along with this if it somehow leads to Elon Musk being persecuted and burned at the stake

if only we had something that could light someone on fire... from a distance...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

if only we had something that could light someone on fire... from a distance...

like some sort of flame thrower? :thunk:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

like some sort of flame thrower? :thunk:

:thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

:thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke:

yeah that was literally the joke I was making.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Feminists won't even let us have our realdolls...

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://twitter.com/RStettner/status/829289471082426368

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

think there'll be a lot of these

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/961050910054060032

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm the dummies not picking up on the guy who posted that naming himself after deadpool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of comics time to read the surprisingly woke Batman comic White Knight

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Speaking of comics time to read the surprisingly woke Batman comic White Knight

is that a sequel to holy terror? the frank miller batman where he goes crazy and starts killing arabs? then they decided that was too much and compromised by changing batman into a neonazi superhero with a crusader cross and nothing else about the premise?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nopantsjack posted:

is that a sequel to holy terror? the frank miller batman where he goes crazy and starts killing arabs? then they decided that was too much and compromised by changing batman into a neonazi superhero with a crusader cross and nothing else about the premise?

No also why do you feel the need to explain holy terror to the guy who stans hard for DKSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
White Knight is Sean Murphy doing a comic about Batman beating the poo poo out of the joker and forcing pills down his throat and it makes Joker go sane so he runs for mayor on a platform of "Batman doesn't help and he's an out of control psycho and then police enable him and cover up his messes with your money, which I'm going to stop them from doing and put that money into Gotham's poorest neighborhoods"