Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

turn off the TV posted:

preferably you would mod out fallout 4's entire story

Sim Settlements basically does this and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

loquacius posted:

Plus I can't stress enough how little the prewar backstory affects anything that happens in-game. I don't think it ever comes up a single time. You can make your character Killer Michelle with a sledgehammer or a big dumb jarhead lady if you want, the only thing stopping you is you

It doesn't and Bethesda genuinely doesn't give a gently caress about their lore making any sense but one of the big things for the game was the redesigned power armor but both main characters can just use it despite it needing training to use in previous games.

It's generally less about the game and more about Bethesda just kind of not giving a poo poo about the worlds they make even though that's literally their whole job

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
fallout 4 was good because i used the console to make piper really tall and fat and then had her blast people with a raider minigun all the time

also the big stompy robot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my fav was when power armor was bugged and turned you into a nude stretchy guy when you wore it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The power armor has to be usable for everyone because the power core stations are Fallout 4's equivalent of the Dragon Walls in Skyrim i.e. a kind of loot Bethesda can put in a dungeon or at the end of a quest that is theoretically useful for every character

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Male character got power armor training in the army, then he taught female character to use it for fetish reasons, boom explained

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the milk machine posted:

fallout 4 was good because i used the console to make piper really tall and fat and then had her blast people with a raider minigun all the time

also the big stompy robot

Mod in TF2 heavy voice, perfecto

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

loquacius posted:

Male character got power armor training in the army, then he taught female character to use it for fetish reasons, boom explained

lmao

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

isn't "searching for your child" a goal? how is that meaningfully different from searching for the geck?

Because it presupposes that my character is cishet and was either a male soldier or female lawyer even though the statistics you choose may not align with that at all. There is a disconnect between the narrative and mechanical aspects of character creation, which shows a lack of commitment. They have a story they want to tell, a defined protagonist they wish to use, but the franchise previously allowed a greater freedom of choice than what Bethesda chose to utilize, and so they present a compromise which brings out the worst of both aspects; one of two rigidly defined character backstories coupled with shallow mechanics that may not align with the character chosen, IE, your lawyer may have an intelligence of 1 but have strength enough to tear a boulder in half. It's a flaw that's difficult to overlook.

Fallout 2 was a product of its time, and Interplay had several sample characters you could use, but you still got to determine what you were and the game made no assumptions about your character as a person beyond, "is somewhat capable of surviving the wasteland".

Screaming Idiot has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jul 1, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

It's not like power armor training is meaningful to the plot of the other games anyway. It's just a check put in the game to make it take a minute to get power armor so the power armor is more significant because you establish a baseline of uh powerless armor. Since one of the big hooks of fallout is power armor it kinda makes sense for the what 7th or 8th fallout inaccurately named fallout 4 to just give you power armor right away

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

isn't "searching for your child" a goal? how is that meaningfully different from searching for the geck?

at one point in diamond city, piper asks you why you're in the wasteland, and the game will not progress unless you choose "saving my boy Shaun"

then seconds later Piper spots your maincharacterness and becomes subordinate

it's a bad game

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

According to Steam I played like 20 hours of Fallout 4 when it released and I remember almost nothing. I actually did remember bits and pieces but could not figure out what game it was from, thought it was actually 3 which I did play a lot of

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because it presupposes that my character is cishet
I don't think that's true? Outwardly living the life of the ideal cishet person doesn't mean you are one, if the choice to behave differently never really existed. admittedly this does implicitly affect that characterization of your character, but that seems inevitable if you want to play as a non-cishet character who grew up in a super hetero- and cisnormative world.

Screaming Idiot posted:

and was either a male soldier or female lawyer even though the statistics you choose may not align with that at all. There is a disconnect between the narrative and mechanical aspects of character creation, which shows a lack of commitment. They have a story they want to tell, a defined protagonist they wish to use, but the franchise previously allowed a greater freedom of choice than what Bethesda chose to utilize, and so they present a compromise which brings out the worst of both aspects; one of two rigidly defined character backstories coupled with shallow mechanics that may not align with the character chosen, IE, your lawyer may have an intelligence of 1 but have strength enough to tear a boulder in half. It's a flaw that's difficult to overlook.
I feel like this is a different criticism than what you started out with. Though from what I've seen of the game, an intelligence of 1 is not the rock bottom stupidity it used to be, so maybe it's actually fine for a lawyer.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

at one point in diamond city, piper asks you why you're in the wasteland, and the game will not progress unless you choose "saving my boy Shaun"

then seconds later Piper spots your maincharacterness and becomes subordinate

it's a bad game
i do not doubt that, given that most FO/Bethesda games appear to be, I'm just questioning the reasons given.

like, it seems like the bigger issue with the game from an identity standpoint is not so much how the character behaves before the bombs drop, but how much freedom you have to interpret that afterward. do they long for their lost life, treasure the fact that the bombs broke their shackles, or exist in some in-between self-doubt because they hated having to live that life but still grew attached to the people? same for pre-war society in general.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

wakka fucks tho?

learn your Roman numerals

and you better believe Wakka fucks :hai:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Wakka Fucks XVI

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Final Fantasy X-1.5: Secret of the Belts

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

both Hunter Biden and Wakka hosed their dead brother's woman

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

KirbyKhan posted:

It is impossible for me to not press the button that makes me mad.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best fallout 4 mod is the one that makes it so shaun isnt your kid so your dude thinks everyones a loving crazy moron, which they are

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

loquacius posted:

What game are you playing

Seriously dude just make your GI Jane mommy character and ignore the two side conversations where it apparently comes up which were so insignificant I had no memory of them whatsoever despite playing this game like 3 times. If you wanna get mad at fallout 4 there are TONS of ways to do it that everyone on earth would agree with, no need to hyperfixate on this

Observe the username and post accordingly

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should make a mod to make your character yell "SHAUN" over and over through the whole game like that heavy rain glitch video

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Here is the followup to "Clive Kicks Dog". I call it "Clive Punches Dog".
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1673463801356722180?t=BpA2TUvFjl0kagqQ6mU2OA&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is this huge goron screaming at me when he turns into a ball?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i never played fallout 4 because i played fallout 3 and i'm not a stupid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

what is this huge goron screaming at me when he turns into a ball?

are you sure you want to know? its really racist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yunobo

he’s screams at me

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the milk machine posted:

they should make a mod to make your character yell "SHAUN" over and over through the whole game like that heavy rain glitch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPwveSypsA

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FO4 is officially good now

ty op

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I grabbed Fallout 4 for cheap cuz I never played it other than a few hours on PS4 once and it apparently works well on Steam Deck, but now I'm thinking I should just play New Vegas again instead.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
todd is disrespecting franchise canon and i will make him pay

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

croup coughfield posted:

todd is disrespecting franchise canon and i will make him pay

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

This is so good!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
having a lot of fun with battlebit. very chaotic, lots of mayhem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I could never get into Fallout 4, even though I thought I'd be able to enjoy that sort of thing. Something about its setting and writing just did nothing for me, in a similar way to Outer Worlds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the female character not being a troop is whatever but the whole pre-war intro was just a bad idea in general. both fallout 3 and 4’s attempts to give your character a bespoke family history through a long intro with the motivation being finding your lost family member end up falling flat. New Vegas had the perfect setup with “someone shot you in the head, find out why”.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Augus posted:

New Vegas had the perfect setup with “someone shot you in the head, find out why”.

Agreed. I think the best RPGs have you starting as a total loser. You should be like a prisoner, an amnesiac, a randomly drafted meat shield, etc. because it makes the arc to becoming Level 99 King poo poo Of gently caress Mountain that much more impactful. Started from the bottom now we here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Agreed. I think the best RPGs have you starting as a total loser. You should be like a prisoner, an amnesiac, a randomly drafted meat shield, etc. because it makes the arc to becoming Level 99 King poo poo Of gently caress Mountain that much more impactful. Started from the bottom now we here.

Yakuza 7 is great for this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Yakuza series is definitely on my list because of how much they get talked up in this thread

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I liked P5's "protagonist falsely accused of assaulting a corrupt politician" for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Kenshi brain