Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
A source of plastic models for better rules sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

For Team yankee, the brits get the lions share of releases with Foxes, Challengers and Warriors. Amis get Bradleys, Apaches and M1A1s (pretty sure that’s just a re release as their M1AQ1 120 mmp is already on the spire)

Soviets get their T-80s, BMP3, Tunguska, TOS-1

Bradleys, Apaches, and M1A1s. Yeah, I'm sure this will result in a fun, fair game for Warsaw Pact players.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Thundercloud posted:

A source of plastic models for better rules sets.

I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of the Hit the Beach box set since I'm using it as a source for half scale Bolt Action games.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hit the beach is a great value but man Plastic Soldier stuff is so much better tanks not found in that box set.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of the Hit the Beach box set since I'm using it as a source for half scale Bolt Action games.

How do you base dudes for this? Doesn't BA use individual casualties?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EdsTeioh posted:

It's loose enough that you can play it in 15mm scale with FoW based models, using casualty markers.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

EdsTeioh posted:

They're a little big for the job but I just use pennies. They're cheap and they look good, plus they give a lot of needed weight to the minis. I'll try and take some pictures later today and show off the 92nd Infantry Buffalo Soldiers I just painted up.

I had to get a little tricky when it came to some of the medium MG teams, but I managed to cut the gunner and the loader apart very neatly and based them separately, which I didn't even really need to do because MG teams go on the same base in Bolt Action, I just did it so it'd be easier to keep track of casualties lol.

Although Cessna is right, you could easily get away with using Flames of War bases since the units must remain in cohesion anyways, and that way you get to play Flames of War if you still want to but I had no interest in that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

PinheadSlim posted:

They're a little big for the job but I just use pennies. They're cheap and they look good, plus they give a lot of needed weight to the minis. I'll try and take some pictures later today and show off the 92nd Infantry Buffalo Soldiers I just painted up.

I had to get a little tricky when it came to some of the medium MG teams, but I managed to cut the gunner and the loader apart very neatly and based them separately, which I didn't even really need to do because MG teams go on the same base in Bolt Action, I just did it so it'd be easier to keep track of casualties lol.

Although Cessna is right, you could easily get away with using Flames of War bases since the units must remain in cohesion anyways, and that way you get to play Flames of War if you still want to but I had no interest in that.

I guess you could put MMG teams on a quarter or something. That's good info though; having them based for FOW gives you some good flexibility. Now if only someone made good 15mm plastic ancients so I could play Hail Caesar on the cheap.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think people usually use washers for 15mm individual manz placement.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Cessna posted:

Bradleys, Apaches, and M1A1s. Yeah, I'm sure this will result in a fun, fair game for Warsaw Pact players.

Oh, and NATO also gets plastic M109s and MLRSs.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Here's my individually based 15mm WW2 dudes.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

JcDent posted:

WON'T THEY FALL THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE THO????

For real though Chimps, those dudes look super rad! One day I'll actually have time for something besides Necromunda.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

PinheadSlim posted:

I've already got FoW stuff, I might as well get some use out of it. These days I use it for Battlegroup, Bolt Action, Chain of Command, and others.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fish and Chimps posted:

Here's my individually based 15mm WW2 dudes.

These look really really good! Way better than my lil guys. What did you use for the dirt on the bases? I wanted a really muddy look so I went with Citadels Armageddon Dust texture.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

PinheadSlim posted:

These look really really good! Way better than my lil guys. What did you use for the dirt on the bases? I wanted a really muddy look so I went with Citadels Armageddon Dust texture.

Thanks! Just a tiny bit of my collection. I used Vallejo Dark Earth earth texture with Agrax Earthshade on. Easy, quick and reasonably good looking.

Here's everything I have:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 19, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EdsTeioh posted:

Now if only someone made good 15mm plastic ancients so I could play Hail Caesar on the cheap.
You need to check out the PSC homepage.

JcDent posted:

1c coins. Easier to get.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fish and Chimps posted:

Thanks! Just a tiny bit of my collection. I used Vallejo Dark Earth earth texture with Agrax Earthshade on. Easy, quick and reasonably good looking.

Here's everything I have:

Spectacular, also this would cost so so so much more if it was in 28mm.

Arquinsiel posted:

1c coins. Easier to get.

True but I see the appeal of washers. Bolt Action uses 25mm bases so half scale would be around 12mm, but pennies are nearly a full 20mm across. I don't mind the "big" bases but I get why people would prefer something more to scale.

Also my 6mm Onslaught minis are almost here and I have no idea how I'm going to individually base those tiny suckers. It's not historics but I'm trying to make tiny travel sized 40k/kill team with those. Itsy bitsy washers will probably do the trick tho

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Arquinsiel posted:

Well then, guess that's bought.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

PinheadSlim posted:

Spectacular, also this would cost so so so much more if it was in 28mm.

Also, I would never get nearly as much painted

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Huh, those mortem et gloriam minis from psc are corvus belli in plastic. That's a nice range.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I still can't fully understand that my Spanish weeb operator game dudes used to make historicals

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cessna posted:

It's actually the M1A1HC!

Bear in mind also that the Brits are getting the Gulf War uparmour of the Challenger 1, and the West Germans are getting the Leopard 2A5.

I do want to be excited for the T-80U, and I'm really happy to see kits like the TOS-1 and Tunguska, but it does kind of dampen the enthusiasm to know that NATO's going to be getting front 25 AT 30 supertanks from the future and theT-80U is going to be front 18 with mandatory rate of fire 1 because of the inherent inferiority of communist autoloader design*.

*now if it was FRENCH, hoo boy, that'd be a different story.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

It's actually the M1A1HC!

Bear in mind also that the Brits are getting the Gulf War uparmour of the Challenger 1, and the West Germans are getting the Leopard 2A5.

So we've given up any pretense of this being 1985?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

For the pact, it will remain 1982 until december 2020!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

I played a computer game called Wargame: Red Dragon that had basically the same issue. It was ostensibly set in 1991, but super-tanks and super-planes from the late 90s started appearing and it created a situation where not only was it a really silly late Cold War battlefield, but nations that didn't have enough money to developed high-tech toys in the mid-90s were basically unable to touch the high-end 90s superweapons. It's time to party like it's 1999, and the Australians are bringing their Leopard AS1s from 1976.

spectralent posted:

For the pact, it will remain 1982 until december 2020!

East Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Poland all have T-55AM-types from 1986-ish and have since 1st ed. Which, yes, means that the Non-Soviet Warsaw Pact has been running around with time-travelling weapons from the future while the Soviet Union has been stuck in 1982.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

East Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Poland all have T-55AM-types from 1986-ish and have since 1st ed. Which, yes, means that the Non-Soviet Warsaw Pact has been running around with time-travelling weapons from the future while the Soviet Union has been stuck in 1982.

I hadn't realised they got those so late, and, in which case my only possible reply is lol

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

spectralent posted:

I hadn't realised they got those so late, and, in which case my only possible reply is lol

I guess I should be specific and say that the Czechoslovakian T-55AM2 is from 1985 and therefore reasonably in timeframe, but they were only exported to East Germany in 1986 (and it was really 1988 when they arrived in force), while the Polish T-55AM Merida is from 1986.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of World War III, did I ever post my homebrew 80s Chain of Command rules?

I need to dust 'em off and play another game, we only ever did two, but they were great fun.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

Speaking of World War III, did I ever post my homebrew 80s Chain of Command rules?

I need to dust 'em off and play another game, we only ever did two, but they were great fun.

Thank you for this, I wanted a reason to care about Team Yankee products

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PinheadSlim posted:

True but I see the appeal of washers. Bolt Action uses 25mm bases so half scale would be around 12mm, but pennies are nearly a full 20mm across. I don't mind the "big" bases but I get why people would prefer something more to scale.
JcDent has access to Euro cents, which are much smaller. Eyeballing it at about 12mm and all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arquinsiel posted:

Awesome, I liked the old MeG rules and adding more flexibility in game size is really nice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hello, have you tried not playing Monopoly D&D Warhammer 40,000 Team Yankee?

Battlefront's stuff is expensive, but the other games are probably less tank-intensive, so it evens out in the end.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tomdidiot posted:

Battlefront have put out their road map for 2020 releases

https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6844

Basically: Plastic Daimlers, Dingos and Crusader AAs for British in Normandy

IV/70s, hetzers, ba-64s and SU-76s for Bagration.

For Team yankee, the brits get the lions share of releases with Foxes, Challengers and Warriors. Amis get Bradleys, Apaches and M1A1s (pretty sure that’s just a re release as their M1AQ1 120 mmp is already on the spire). EDIT: NATO also gets plastic M109s (already in army books - but now in plastic!) and the Brits and Amis get MLRSs.

Soviets get their T-80s, BMP3, Tunguska, TOS-1.

There’s also a Team yankee starter set being teased which is US vs Soviets.
Surprised there’s no Plastic Sextons for Normandy Brits.

Did Team Yankee not have M1A1s in it yet? The game named after a novel about M1A1 tankers with art of an M1A1 on the cover?

edit: Oh it's a variant

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 20, 2019

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hell yeah, TOS-1 in TY. I have no idea how fuckin' flamethrower artillery is going to work in TY, but dug-in british infantry are the bane of my existence and I'm hyped for this goofy tank. :flame:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know how *I* would write rules for it, so TY will likely just be "it's artillery with a better FP value".

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It'd make sense for it to just be a artlilery weapon with the Flamethrower rule, i.e automatic firepower tests and infantry reroll saves, but that might be... a little too good, and would make the cost of the unit exorbitant.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

BattleMaster posted:

Did Team Yankee not have M1A1s in it yet? The game named after a novel about M1A1 tankers with art of an M1A1 on the cover?

edit: Oh it's a variant

They have the M1 with the Royal Ordnance 105mm, not the M1A1 with the Smoothbore 120mm Rheinmetall.

Grante,d it's been on the sprue for ages. It's just that you can actually use it now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

JcDent has access to Euro cents, which are much smaller. Eyeballing it at about 12mm and all.
Update: they're actually 16mm across. They look fine for 15mm mans anyway.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Geisladisk posted:

It'd make sense for it to just be a artlilery weapon with the Flamethrower rule, i.e automatic firepower tests and infantry reroll saves, but that might be... a little too good, and would make the cost of the unit exorbitant.

The thing is, repeat barrages now reroll saves anyway, and soviet artillery with 2+ bombardment is quite affordable; "rerolls from the first barrage and auto instead of 2+" is probably a very marginal boost as far as points go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Oh boy I found my two boxes of PSC 15mm summer uniform soviets, so now I have 200+ of them to deal with.

I might base some up as Germans just to get some quicker CoC in over the break.