Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be serious, if you dislike the idea of yoga, do explicit big 5 power lifting.

Power lifters are actually crazy flexible and it also did wonders for me as a guy who is also man sized

Nothing about bench presses, rows, or overhead presses makes you more flexible. Flexibility allows someone to do squats/deadlifts with better form; the lifts themselves don't cause this. If you want to have more mobility, do mobility work.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm gonna listen to Mel on this one, partly because it echos my experience as a younger man, and partly because it's what I wanted to hear.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/resistance-training-improves-flexibility-too

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

If you want to have more mobility, do mobility work.

Yep. There are all kinds of mobility exercises that dont require any weight at all that are on youtube. You shouldn't need any weights to work on hip mobility.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm gonna listen to Mel on this one, partly because it echos my experience as a younger man, and partly because it's what I wanted to hear.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/resistance-training-improves-flexibility-too

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yep. There are all kinds of mobility exercises that dont require any weight at all that are on youtube. You shouldn't need any weights to work on hip mobility.

I mean, full disclosure, I am not claiming weights are the best way to do it. Just as a guy who is constantly in a battle with his own body/laziness, I found it better to do a less effective activity you enjoy than trying to do a more effective activity you don't enjoy. Its better to get the smaller benefits from doing weights if you be motivated to always do weights than making excuses and only ending up doing stretch routines once a week.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Finally had single legs click for me yesterday. My ratio of actually finishing the takedown from having the single leg was pretty abysmal, but we did collar drags into single legs and something about the way we were doing that just made sense to me.

During the takedown practice and rolls after class I successfully took down several people with the same finish who I'd never taken down before and it was pretty amazing how easy it felt too.

I also got my first butterfly sweep on someone who knew wtf they were doing. It wasn't pretty and I ended up on top stuck in their half guard but it was still a sweep I've been trying to hit for a while and had no success at.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I love hearing stories of how things click and BOOM, instant new weapon in your arsenal.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Polaris prelims are on now. Main card at 5.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

These stretches are really good for hip flexibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068BKniAY3U

If you're wondering how to get a better hip escape, it's probably to actually lift your hip off the mat and move your body laterally vs straight back

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Polaris prelims are on now. Main card at 5.

I've been half watching it. What did you think of that Rios/Lilius decision?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I've been half watching it. What did you think of that Rios/Lilius decision?

Highly suspect. Otherwise I think the decisions were p good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Chewjitsu has a good hip mobility sequence somewhere

There is one on his store but he posted another video of hip exercises.

https://youtu.be/T41SAh1lsuA

I do these sort of movements a lot. Especially on weekends as I don't train then and don't have weights at home.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 16, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeebrew posted:

I love hearing stories of how things click and BOOM, instant new weapon in your arsenal.

Let me tell you about how after like a collective 4 years of jiu jitsu training I now pass guards comfortably and don't just stall constantly.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

These things take awhile. I am still struggling with basic guard retention. My guard sucks.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

These things take awhile. I am still struggling with basic guard retention. My guard sucks.

It took me a full year of getting destroyed in half guard to get good at it. Persistence is key.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeebrew posted:

Well I used to be way more happy to be the guard player but I've consciously put my focus on doing top game way more. So my bottom game was OK and now I use it well when I get reversed or end up on bottom in a scramble.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I’ve just been getting back in the groove of things so of course it was time to pick up another stupid injury to add to the list. Stepped in to work a guard pass against a seated partner who scooted forward at the same time, bam - dislocated big toe. Got it popped back in (by a medical professional) but now no rolling for a week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Well I used to be way more happy to be the guard player but I've consciously put my focus on doing top game way more. So my bottom game was OK and now I use it well when I get reversed or end up on bottom in a scramble.

Pretty much same. I always try to fight for top and work top first, because lord knows I have partners who will make me practice my bottom game against my will.

Btw for a few months npow I've been working on what I call the mount/side quandry, which is something I think we've discussed here a bit: that tendency for more novice/intermediate players to feel as if side control is the superior position, while the advanced people will just simply note "nope, mount is better."

Anyway I've been exploring mount - deliberately fighting to get it and to maintain it and to work from there, and keeerist is mount great.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

drat guys, just finished a long and tough training session last night and my coach (who I train under the most but isn't the head instructor) pulled me aside and told me I'm doing really well, but not ready for my purple for promotions next month. He did consider me and one other guy (who beats my rear end) to be the best blues at our gym though. Definitely feeling motivated as a result and thinking I'll sign up for a competition ASAP.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Nicky Ryan is going to beat up another adult which is exciting

(Urijah Faber this time)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

omg chael crash posted:

Nicky Ryan is going to beat up another adult which is exciting

(Urijah Faber this time)

Yeah, that's going to be a good one to watch. Big props to Uriah accepting the fight too. I feel like it had to be hard for Nicky to get fights because of more established competitors afraid of losing face to younger kid.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Yeah, that's going to be a good one to watch. Big props to Uriah accepting the fight too. I feel like it had to be hard for Nicky to get fights because of more established competitors afraid of losing face to younger kid.

Seeing as how Nicky is a legit wunderkind, is there any shame to being best by 'the best grappler all time, especially from 2025-2040'?

Its not a fluke at this point.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Drewjitsu posted:

Seeing as how Nicky is a legit wunderkind, is there any shame to being best by 'the best grappler all time, especially from 2025-2040'?

Its not a fluke at this point.

Yuns could give input here. BUT, the way I see it, dozens of names you know refused matches with Nicky Ryan over the past 4 years.

A lot of guys wouldn't do the matches against Nicky because they run the very real risk of being called out afterwards as "not that good" when they lose and that does impact seminars. It happened to guys that were really good at leglocks that lost against Eddie Cummings for example Reilly Bodycomb and Josh Hayden.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand why people think its a slam to lose against a 16 year old.

That has been training about four years.

That probably has trained the vast majority of the hours available every week.

That has world class level training partners.

That where probably personally involved and invested in making him good at jits.

That are trained by one of the premier coaches in our sport.

I mean if Craig Jones magically flew over here and said "Defense I detect great potential, me and you are gonna train for one year and I'm gonna make you into the best Jitsman in all of pajama grappling, and also here's your living expenses taken care of" I'd probably be beating the breaks off most Brown Belts at the end of the year.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Well sure, but take Gordon against Cyborg for example. Cyborg got pissed and DQed himself to "teach" a guy that in his eyes didnt't earn his respect.

I'm sure a lot of guys don't want to be steamrolled by a kid nobody knew 4 years ago when they were training even before he was born.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The big names have no incentive to compete against Nicky. Nicky is a legit threat to sub them and if they win they beat a little kid and if they lose they lost to a little kid. Much respect to Faber for taking the match. I think he will get dominated by Nicky.

In other news, for all the Gordon vs Craig memes, Craig comes over to train with the team regularly and I see him in the am many mornings.

Also Muay Thai coach Jamie and long time black belt Gene Dunne being NYC as gently caress.
https://www.instagram.com/jonnyconcrete73/p/BvH0zsAA7GN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5jp7oqg07afu

https://www.instagram.com/jonnyconcrete73/p/BvHuHhGgJg9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vo50cq656nrd

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 18, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Went in to talk to my coach over the weekend about what I can do with my injury. He was pretty cool about it and just said I was free to work in on what I felt like I could do and sit out when I was worried.

A blue belt ended up taking me aside and helping me work with some stuff from guard while everyone else was doing helicopter armbars.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

The big names have no incentive to compete against Nicky. Nicky is a legit threat to sub them and if they win they beat a little kid and if they lose they lost to a little kid. Much respect to Faber for taking the match. I think he will get dominated by Nicky.

In other news, for all the Gordon vs Craig memes, Craig comes over to train with the team regularly and I see him in the am many mornings.

Also Muay Thai coach Jamie and long time black belt Gene Dunne being NYC as gently caress.
https://www.instagram.com/jonnyconcrete73/p/BvH0zsAA7GN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5jp7oqg07afu

https://www.instagram.com/jonnyconcrete73/p/BvHuHhGgJg9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vo50cq656nrd

Yeah right now his scalp isn't worth anything. In a few more wins over dudes like Faber that "they beat a little kid" will become "they beat a little kid who has wins over multiple black belts who have been black belts longer than he has been alive," though, and dudes will start accepting matches against him again.

I guess the other route for him is to just keep entering tournaments where dudes can't duck him in the bracket in the same way. Next ADCC is 2020 right?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of guys might be psychologically uncomfortable with fighting a literal child. As Yuns said, if you win you beat up a kid if you lose it's embarrassing. What if he gets hurt in the match? Like ... It's weird.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

You guys know that 18-year-olds have fought in the UFC, right?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CommonShore posted:

Yeah right now his scalp isn't worth anything. In a few more wins over dudes like Faber that "they beat a little kid" will become "they beat a little kid who has wins over multiple black belts who have been black belts longer than he has been alive," though, and dudes will start accepting matches against him again.

I guess the other route for him is to just keep entering tournaments where dudes can't duck him in the bracket in the same way. Next ADCC is 2020 right?

End of Sept 2019, lots of big names

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6261091-every-name-invitedqualified-for-adcc-2019-world-championship-updated

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

A lot of guys might be psychologically uncomfortable with fighting a literal child. As Yuns said, if you win you beat up a kid if you lose it's embarrassing. What if he gets hurt in the match? Like ... It's weird.

I don't know man. My gym starts training kids at age 4 and moves them into the adult class at 13. They're legit scary because off the mat they're goofy teens playing on phones and talking about math grades, but once they step on the mat they're going to kill you. And it's really not that emberassing to get tapped by someone who's been doing BJJ most of their life.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Being armbarred by a fifteen year old is way less scary than realizing you peaked in highschool and here you are in a dead end career in middle management and you're really just running the clock at this point.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Being armbarred by a fifteen year old is way less scary than realizing you peaked in highschool and here you are in a dead end career in middle management and you're really just running the clock at this point.

TAP TAP TAP

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

This is violence.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Taking a knee to the shin is no fun.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

just lol if you didn’t go back to school in your 30s to pursue your dreams and are broke and have no time for a regular grappling routine

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

just lol if you didn’t go back to school in your 30s to pursue your dreams and are broke and have no time for a regular grappling routine

Just lol if you still have dreams in your 30s at all.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been debating whether or not to get a new gi. Debating, because my attendance isn't always good, and what if I buy a new gi only to gently caress off and stop training (which I've done before).

So I'll reward myself. If I train at least 4 times a week for a month, then that's enough to justify a purchase. Already tonight the mindset paid off, as I stayed on for a 2nd class instead of going home, figuring I'd get it out of the way. I'm trying to make BJJ the thing that I have to go to, instead of the thing I show up for when I feel like it.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just lol if you still have dreams in your 30s at all.

"a series of rationalizations about what I'm willing to settle for career-wise" takes too long to type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

"a series of rationalizations about what I'm willing to settle for career-wise" takes too long to type

Fair.

I did a free trial to roydean.tv, I wanted to check out bluebelt requirements 2.0. There's a few additional techniques in the 2.0 set that weren't in the original, and a few he took away. I realized that I do need instructionals, but JJ Revolution was probably too advanced for me right now because I'm really trying to get back to fresh blueberry level. I can ripen the blueberry once I've gotten my basic positional escapes and guard passes feeling good again.

One thing he added in the 2.0 was some open guard passing concepts that have been immediately useful for me. The gaps between trying to remember what I'm supposed to do and actually remembering what I'm supposed to do and then actually doing it are getting a bit smaller with more practice and more repeat viewings of the escape techniques.

I guess I'm feeling good today because a white belt came into the class and it's the first time since I've been back that I've been able to roll with a white belt. In the morning class I go to it's been all blue and above, and none of them with the kind of training gap I had. So, sharp blues, competitive purples, no browns for some reason, and two black belts. Of course I'm going to have trouble with getting basic stuff done. If my escape is too slow, the guys who know what they are doing and are in good practice are just going to retake the space as I create it. But rolling with someone I can escape at will or pass at will is a reminder that hey, I know a little bit anyways.