Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want to go to a somewhat fancier restaurant then I am used to for my birthday. But my usual plan to escape crowds and judgement at any kind of resturaunt, i.e., go at 11am, is not a posibility here. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Xoidanor posted:

Dahlgrens in Stockholm loving owns. After about 15 minutes it was clear why they have their 2 stars. I'd have more pictures but I was honestly too busy enjoying myself to fiddle around with my phone, god was it expensive though.

Matsalen is , easily, the best meal I've evar had, and the most expensive. I haven't been to Frantzen after they recieved their second star though.

As for Chef's Table, I thought Dan Barber was an insufferable bore. The episodes I really liked where Niki Nakayama, Massimo Botura and Magnus Nilsson, for different reasons. Francis Mallman seemed like an rear end in a top hat, but his food looked good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

???

What's all this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

???

What's all this?

Exactly...we all know it's spelled judgment.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

Exactly...we all know it's spelled judgment.

don't judge...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

paraquat posted:

don't judge...

Help, help, i'm being judgmento'd!

Seriously though, fancy places make me a little nervous.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Why? Don't be nervous about anything. You own the place when you're in there.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Help, help, i'm being judgmento'd!

Seriously though, fancy places make me a little nervous.

you are the one that is bringing your money to the fancy place, so they will not judge, they will only work and hope they're good enough so that you will bring in your money a next time.
as for the other restaurant guests? well, we all die soon enough, so let them do whatever they want, just make sure you're having fun!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

paraquat posted:

you are the one that is bringing your money to the fancy place, so they will not judge, they will only work and hope they're good enough so that you will bring in your money a next time.
as for the other restaurant guests? well, we all die soon enough, so let them do whatever they want, just make sure you're having fun!

I just want to be a good diner. I love asking questions and really hope i'm not being too annoying, or taking up too much time. I do leave the servers alone when they are obviously booking like crazy, but then again, that's also why I go during slow times, so I can be a little pesky.

Welp, turns out that I wont be going to Orsay, instead we're going to Mitchell's Fish Market cuz we got a gift certificate.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

At a nice restaurant they should be happy to explain the whole menu to you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chemmy posted:

At a nice restaurant they should be happy to explain the whole menu to you.

For sure, and they'll be really proud of it. Like, they want to tell you all about it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Go to one of those restaurants where your waiters are blind and they serve you everything in the dark.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Go to one of those restaurants where your waiters are blind and they serve you everything in the dark.

Nobody cares about the food there because you're really just there to strum each other off in the dark

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Can't the blind waiters sense your JO action with their sonar or whatever though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can't the blind waiters sense your JO action with their sonar or whatever though?

Yeah but isn't it every rich man's dream to make sure the servants can hear you having sex

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 1, 2015

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody cares about the food there because you're really just there to strum each other off in the dark

I went to one of these places and it was cool and the food was good.

There was definitely a lot of suspicious rustling sounds though

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Tomorrow is my 10 year anniversary so we're going to a semi fancy restaurant for dinner. I worry about ruining the dishes with my dairy allergy, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Echeveria posted:

Tomorrow is my 10 year anniversary so we're going to a semi fancy restaurant for dinner. I worry about ruining the dishes with my dairy allergy, though.

as well you should

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Air has calories now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:eyepop:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm fat because I breathe heavily, is what I'm getting from that conversation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm currently at a skateboarding house party in Tahoe. There are no fat people here, but there is no air either. Coincidence?

Edit: some people are eating burritos, I think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My miso, soy sauce and peas in a rice cooker idea didn't turn out very well :(

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm currently at a skateboarding house party in Tahoe. There are no fat people here, but there is no air either. Coincidence?

Edit: some people are eating burritos, I think.

wtf is a skateboarding house party?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Paper With Lines posted:

wtf is a skateboarding house party?

a party where you break your face skating in a pool before it gets refilled for the summer. duh

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Drink and Fight posted:

Air has calories now.

breatharian_evidence.jpg

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wow, what a complete idiot.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ICSA is up!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't like how she phrases some stuff, but she makes some good points about how irrational food fears are a byproduct of wealth and privilege.

http://www.skepticalob.com/2015/05/how-the-irrational-fear-of-corporate-terrorism-leads-the-privileged-to-betray-the-less-privileged.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

p good day to hang out and drink negronis and shandys

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Americano as shandy, you're welcome.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Foodinistas, what should I eat and or drink in DC?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hauki posted:

Not the water. I've been on road trips all over the US, the water in DC is by far my least favorite.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Casu Marzu posted:

p good day to hang out and drink negronis and shandys

Did you hear about the bar in Minnesota that got in trouble for serving spotted cow? lol

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Did a butcher on two goats and lamb last weekend, just had the first of it tonight - shank portion roast from the lamb. About 7/12 pounds, beautiful fat cap which kept it so moist, delicious flavor from the field grasses and such the animal had been eating. Ended up with a freezer bag full of sliced meat after dinner (for sandwiches all week ooohhhhyeahhhhh) and a great big thigh bone for soup.

Raisin` and killin` animals is the best.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

After a delicious French dinner on Saturday (duck confit was excellent, and their soup du jour was a golden beet puree with lemon creme fraiche that was incredible), we went for a drink at a local hangout where there was a legit breakdance competition going on.

A good weekend.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

After a delicious French dinner on Saturday (duck confit was excellent, and their soup du jour was a golden beet puree with lemon creme fraiche that was incredible), we went for a drink at a local hangout where there was a legit breakdance competition going on.

A good weekend.

That sounds awesome. I love duck confit, I love beets (and the lemon creme fraiche sounds delicious), and I love breakdancing (watching not doing).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hauki posted:

minibar

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Isn't Ethopian food the thing in D.C.? I haven't been since I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Not DC proper but unless you're from Southern California, then Vietnamese food in Northern Virginia is another thing to check out in the DC area. Eden Center is a good spot to go. There's a really good tofu shop there and a bunch of other places you can just wander around and eat.